Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,509 members, 7,826,929 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (722) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1841222 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) (724) (725) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tomiwaaa(m): 10:08am On Jul 09, 2020
cool
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by zod404(m): 1:03pm On Jul 09, 2020
tomiwaaa:

bro how far? pls have you been able to do your conversion of UTME to DE? because I was told at the CBT center that it can only be done at the JAMB state office. meaning I'll have to go as far as ikoyi on the island to get it done. pls how did you go about yours? I really need the info pls.
It's true, you can only do it at the state office. I'll go the state office on Monday by God's grace to do mine.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tomiwaaa(m): 4:38pm On Jul 09, 2020
cool
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Slimdan360: 8:33pm On Jul 09, 2020
is it true that AAU has lost their medicine accreditation?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by drvt: 8:49pm On Jul 09, 2020
Slimdan360:
is it true that AAU has lost their medicine accreditation?
yes bro..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by zod404(m): 9:50pm On Jul 09, 2020
tomiwaaa:

oh that's great. I'm planning to go on Monday too. but pls are you sure the office will open? because of all this pandemic brouhaha.
Also, not writing the UTME will not be a problem to conversion right?
I'm not in Lagos State, but I'll visit their office in my state on Monday. Although I sat for the exam, but I later heard that it wasn't compulsory to do that.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Xandre: 11:01pm On Jul 09, 2020
drvt:
yes bro..
Haaa,Really?

Source Please cry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by drvt: 1:24am On Jul 10, 2020
Xandre:
Haaa,Really?
Source Please cry

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by BarristerAlarig: 5:54am On Jul 10, 2020
Please, treat as Urgent.

I am considering studying for another bachelor's degree in Dentistry. I would be applying for DMD programs in Europe, most likely, Romania, Hungary or similar EU countries due to Degree recognition in other EU/Western/Nothern European countries.

I was initially interested in medical school and pursuing a Plastic Surgery Residency. But I don't really like medicine. I don't want to practice as a General Practitioner and the odour from the Vaginas of the average ~Nigeria~ girl (read girls ) would make anything OnG related hard for me. More over, everywhere I look, Getting into a Plastic Surgery Residency is very hard. If I don't get a spot, I am sure I won't enjoy medicine.

I choose dentistry after carefully researching the field. I wouldn't mind practising as a General dentist, but I would prefer specializing. I tried research the Residency requirement for ORAL AND MAXILLOFAXIAL SURGERY in Nigeria and I could not get any information.

Could someone please help?? Do I need just a Dental degree to become an omfs in Nigeria as it is done in Northern Europe and in some US programs??

Or would I also need a medical + dental degree like in the UK and everywhere else.

Thanks for your time.

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DharmieDhrey(m): 6:26am On Jul 10, 2020
Hello house! does UNILORIN offer Dentistry and Dental Surgery?
by the way,is it possible for one to cross from 200L Pharm to 200L BDS/MBBS via D.E
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by olsamlaw(m): 6:47am On Jul 10, 2020
Pls guys with this pandemic issue rising everyday is it possible for any school to admit at all or conduct any post utme this year or any screening cox most has not even attended to their admitted 100level students.

Because I chose UI if they decided to use jamb and Olevel I might not stand a good chance.

Maybe switching to UDUSOk or any university that make use of jamb score. My jamb score is good.

Decisions?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 10:04am On Jul 10, 2020
[quote author=drvt post=91559896][/quote]That school needs to cushion how they admit such huge numbers abeg...Quota is not more than 50 but they will admit above 200, even 300 atimes.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 10:07am On Jul 10, 2020
drvt:
yes bro..
Let them cushion how they admit students...It's not as if the cut offs will be lower with the huge number of students they admit into Medicine every year...Many of them still enter having paid huge amount...UNN is next if the right measures are not put in place.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 10:11am On Jul 10, 2020
DharmieDhrey:
by the way,is it possible for one to cross from 200L Pharm to 200L BDS/MBBS via D.E
A degree is required for Direct entry...You can only transfer..I don't know how it works in Ilorin but you can always transfer from one program to another...You must have completed your Pharmacy program before D.E.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sagna112(m): 10:13am On Jul 10, 2020
Good morning pls anyone with science physics PDF?..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by drvt: 10:46am On Jul 10, 2020
olsamlaw:
Pls guys with this pandemic issue rising everyday is it possible for any school to admit at all or conduct any post utme this year or any screening cox most has not even attended to their admitted 100level students.

Because I chose UI if they decided to use jamb and Olevel I might not stand a good chance.

Maybe switching to UDUSOk or any university that make use of jamb score. My jamb score is good.

Decisions?
message me on WhatsApp with this number
0. 7 . 0 1..3 . 4 . 3 ...1..5. 0..0
let's discuss. treat as urgent please.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Haustyne(m): 10:48am On Jul 10, 2020
DharmieDhrey:
No to both of your questions.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by drvt: 10:50am On Jul 10, 2020
DharmieDhrey:
unilorin does not. and I doubt if that is possible
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by majesty449: 11:34am On Jul 10, 2020
If you choose DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY as your first choice and scored 170 and above the POST UTME FORM is out now you can join our WhatsApp group to get more information and past questions

https:///Ix2riepKN0y3YiKaraI5Nh

Or call/WhatsApp : 08164414725
For your smooth and easy REGISTRATION.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 12:02pm On Jul 10, 2020
BarristerAlarig:
Please, treat as Urgent.

I am considering studying for another bachelor's degree in Dentistry. I would be applying for DMD programs in Europe, most likely, Romania, Hungary or similar EU countries due to Degree recognition in other EU/Western/Nothern European countries.

I was initially interested in medical school and pursuing a Plastic Surgery Residency. But I don't really like medicine. I don't want to practice as a General Practitioner and the odour from the Vaginas of the average ~Nigeria~ girl (read girls ) would make anything OnG related hard for me. More over, everywhere I look, Getting into a Plastic Surgery Residency is very hard. If I don't get a spot, I am sure I won't enjoy medicine.

I choose dentistry after carefully researching the field. I wouldn't mind practising as a General dentist, but I would prefer specializing. I tried research the Residency requirement for ORAL AND MAXILLOFAXIAL SURGERY in Nigeria and I could not get any information.

Could someone please help?? Do I need just a Dental degree to become an omfs in Nigeria as it is done in Northern Europe and in some US programs??

Or would I also need a medical + dental degree like in the UK and everywhere else.

Thanks for your time.
Hi, currently in Nigeria you only require a degree in Dental Surgery (BDS/BChD) to be able to enter residency(NPMCN or WACS or both) in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.

* NPMCN: National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria grants the FMCDS,

* WACS: West African College of Surgeons grants the FWACS

However, striving towards double qualifications does no harm, as this is fast becoming the standard.

In the UK, Oral Surgeons are ≠ Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.

Hence, one requires only a Dental Degree to become an Oral Surgeon in the UK while one requires dual qualifications to become an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DharmieDhrey(m): 3:07pm On Jul 10, 2020
MrEgghead:
A degree is required for Direct entry...You can only transfer..I don't know how it works in Ilorin but you can always transfer from one program to another...You must have completed your Pharmacy program before D.E.

So does that imply one has to finish with Pharm and crossing to MBBS? would one be in 200L? Sorry if my questions are too much. lastly,would the degree be "retracted" after doing so?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DharmieDhrey(m): 3:09pm On Jul 10, 2020
horpeyemmi66:

Hi, currently in Nigeria you only require a degree in Dental Surgery (BDS/BChD) to be able to enter residency(NPMCN or WACS or both) in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.

However, striving towards double qualifications does no harm, as this is fast becoming the standard.

Hence, one requires only a Dental Degree to become an Oral Surgeon in the UK while one requires dual qualifications to become an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.

Alright but does a fresh dental graduate get dual degrees to become an OMF??
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 3:23pm On Jul 10, 2020
DharmieDhrey:

Alright but does a fresh dental graduate get dual degrees to become an OMF??
In Nigeria, no.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 3:46pm On Jul 10, 2020
DharmieDhrey:

So does that imply one has to finish with Pharm and crossing to MBBS? would one be in 200L? Sorry if my questions are too much. lastly,would the degree be "retracted" after doing so?
Your Pharmacy certificate will still be valid.
you'll start from 200L as a Direct entry candidate.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by BarristerAlarig: 4:30pm On Jul 10, 2020
horpeyemmi66:

Thank you. Do you know how competitive it is?? Is it easier to match into omfs compared to Plastics??
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 5:33pm On Jul 10, 2020
BarristerAlarig:

Thank you. Do you know how competitive it is?? Is it easier to match into omfs compared to Plastics??
There's no set algorithm as regards matching in Nigeria. So, all prospective residents write the same exams (Primaries) and then go on to apply(should they pass) for residency at any accredited institutions of their choice.

The institutions then utilize any methods they deem fit in employing residents. These range from Exams, Interviews by a Panel, Paying-your-way-in or "Long legs". The idea of meritocracy is somewhat subjective anyways.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DharmieDhrey(m): 10:37pm On Jul 10, 2020
MrEgghead:

Thanks Boss. Last question, I don't think one would be able to practise Pharm while in Med school. Is this true?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 11:24pm On Jul 10, 2020
DharmieDhrey:

Thanks Boss. Last question, I don't think one would be able to practise Pharm while in Med school. Is this true?
It's possible if you can get a locum job close to where your school is.... it's not against the law.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Xandre: 11:27pm On Jul 10, 2020
MrEgghead:
I doubt if The Pharmacy Cert can be used as gateway for DE into Medicine.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 11:30pm On Jul 10, 2020
Xandre:
I doubt if The Pharmacy Cert can be used as gateway for DE into Medicine.
it can be used.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Xandre: 6:57am On Jul 11, 2020
MrEgghead:
it can be used.
Oh,Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by mete3: 9:55am On Jul 12, 2020
Officiallyme:
mete3
I saw ur email notification. I no longer have access to the mail in this account. Please quote me with your number, I'll do well to contact u.

Officiallyme
Alright Boss..07088984371

(1) (2) (3) ... (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) (724) (725) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.