Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,039 members, 7,821,577 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (176662 Views)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (88) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:08am On Oct 14, 2012
temmytanny: not yet ooo but i know baba God go do am nextweek

Baba God don do am already,take your time now, because the time is coming that son of man will be so busy to log on to nairaland.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 12:41am On Oct 14, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Baba God don do am already,take your time now, because the time is coming that son of man will be so busy to log on to nairaland.
abi ooo dats why m giving my best now
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Bakorede(m): 2:21pm On Oct 15, 2012
temmytanny: abi ooo dats why m giving my best now
Welldone Mr temmy,adesoji and co.pls what is d latext news about d 666 mark over there in d US.I read dat Obama suports it.pls i just want u guys 2 say sumtin abt it since u are in d state.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:50pm On Oct 15, 2012
Bakorede: Welldone Mr temmy,adesoji and co.pls what is d latext news about d 666 mark over there in d US.I read dat Obama suports it.pls i just want u guys 2 say sumtin abt it since u are in d state.

My friend, that news is not making any wave here,I heard it for the first time from my friend who called from Naija a month ago and decided to give it a check on the internet.The whole story is just a political propaganda to discourage people about Obamacare,no one is giving 666 and no one is accepting it here.

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by sandraluck12: 1:50am On Oct 16, 2012
The first thought of any person relocating to America, is what am i expected to bring along that is IMPORTANT, so as to avoid excess luggage and un-wanted/un-useful items. Now, let me share this few tips with you:

First, get your transcript from your universities for those who are graduates and send it to the world education center for evaluation purposes and storage, so that they can send it to anywhere you want in the world in a jiffy without the stress of asking people back home to do it for you or traveling back home. For the hand-skilled, have your basic materials/tools with you.
It is advisable to go back to school after a year or two of settling down so as to help in getting a better job than doing survival jobs all the time. Ensure it has got to the world education center before you leave your country because some hiccups can happen and you have to repeat the process. It happened to someone i know, she did it 3 times! It was due to negligence and mis-spelt address.

Secondly,clothes. Yes, America is the land of fashion and quality stuffs right? NO! Remember, it is the same China that supply them! Some shops sell quality, some semi-quality, some poor quality. I have visited the three type of shops and i can only afford the semi-quality and flee from the poor-quality though it was cheap. The quality-shops are pricy! As a hustling Nigerian, i don't have that kind of money.

Don't go about giving away all your clothes, thinking you will go on a shopping spree here. Ok! if you have the money though.*shrugs* Keep all your best jeans and shirts, suits and NATIVES! See the capitalization? Yes, have many native attires as you can, but QUALITY, see another capitalization? So that it can last the test of time, and not fade after some washings.Likewise your outing and casual shoes/slippers. The only clothes to buy IMMEDIATELY on arrival,is the winter attires if you come during fall/autumn/winter season. The reason for this,takes me to the third advise.

Thirdly,MONEY! See, another capitalization here? We all know the influence of money huh? It can make or mar any relationship. So be very PRUDENT! another emphasis. Don't come as as tourist since you know you have come to STAY! Save your money. Whatever amount you bring along, quickly open a bank account and save 3/4 of that amount and check 1/4 into your debit card for spending. Avoid using your credit cards instantly until you get a job because you will have to take from your savings to pay for it, thus defeating the objective of saving in the first place! Yes, it will help in your credit rating,that you will need when to rent an accommodation, but it is not wise at that moment.

You should stay with a host for few weeks to get your bearing, and depending on your relationship, and how fast you are able to get a job, then get an apartment. Your host can assist you if he/she has a good credit rating or appeal to someone who trust them to help you. That is when you will need your savings to buy the basic things in the apartment and feed.Contribute to the house keeping of your host with common sense, buy groceries that are needed and don't be a glutton, though food is affordable, and plentiful, it does not mean you can go on a eating spree. Immigrants are very concerned about every dime they spend!

A guy shared an apartment with other guys hustling like him. He realized he was the one spending more in the home simply because he just arrived from Nigeria. The other guys always complained of no money for the fact that they had been staying in America for many years. He was yet to get a job and his money was dwindling down. Do you know what he did? He sent the money back home to his account and kept a little,and was managing that until he got a survival job. The money came handy when it was time for him to move into his own apartment. If not he would have squandered every dime and be at the mercy of his host, and here in America, everybody bears his father's name!

The MOST important advise of all is that, DO NOT OVER STAY YOUR WELCOME IN YOUR HOST HOME! It will cause strife!
http://americajourney..com/

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Ibracadabra: 2:57am On Oct 16, 2012
Thank u for this eye-opener... God bless u

Can I get an address for the world evaluation centre where results can b sent to for evaluation? Bless u

2 Likes

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 10:33am On Oct 16, 2012
Ibracadabra: Thank u for this eye-opener... God bless u

Can I get an address for the world evaluation centre where results can b sent to for evaluation? Bless u

Here is the link for WES: http://www.wes.org/
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Ibracadabra: 11:37am On Oct 16, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Here is the link for WES: http://www.wes.org/

Thanks a mill...
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 2:19pm On Oct 16, 2012
sandraluck12: The first thought of any person relocating to America, is what am i expected to bring along that is IMPORTANT, so as to avoid excess luggage and un-wanted/un-useful items. Now, let me share this few tips with you:

First, get your transcript from your universities for those who are graduates and send it to the world education center for evaluation purposes and storage, so that they can send it to anywhere you want in the world in a jiffy without the stress of asking people back home to do it for you or traveling back home. For the hand-skilled, have your basic materials/tools with you.
It is advisable to go back to school after a year or two of settling down so as to help in getting a better job than doing survival jobs all the time. Ensure it has got to the world education center before you leave your country because some hiccups can happen and you have to repeat the process. It happened to someone i know, she did it 3 times! It was due to negligence and mis-spelt address.

Secondly,clothes. Yes, America is the land of fashion and quality stuffs right? NO! Remember, it is the same China that supply them! Some shops sell quality, some semi-quality, some poor quality. I have visited the three type of shops and i can only afford the semi-quality and flee from the poor-quality though it was cheap. The quality-shops are pricy! As a hustling Nigerian, i don't have that kind of money.

Don't go about giving away all your clothes, thinking you will go on a shopping spree here. Ok! if you have the money though.*shrugs* Keep all your best jeans and shirts, suits and NATIVES! See the capitalization? Yes, have many native attires as you can, but QUALITY, see another capitalization? So that it can last the test of time, and not fade after some washings.Likewise your outing and casual shoes/slippers. The only clothes to buy IMMEDIATELY on arrival,is the winter attires if you come during fall/autumn/winter season. The reason for this,takes me to the third advise.

Thirdly,MONEY! See, another capitalization here? We all know the influence of money huh? It can make or mar any relationship. So be very PRUDENT! another emphasis. Don't come as as tourist since you know you have come to STAY! Save your money. Whatever amount you bring along, quickly open a bank account and save 3/4 of that amount and check 1/4 into your debit card for spending. Avoid using your credit cards instantly until you get a job because you will have to take from your savings to pay for it, thus defeating the objective of saving in the first place! Yes, it will help in your credit rating,that you will need when to rent an accommodation, but it is not wise at that moment.

You should stay with a host for few weeks to get your bearing, and depending on your relationship, and how fast you are able to get a job, then get an apartment. Your host can assist you if he/she has a good credit rating or appeal to someone who trust them to help you. That is when you will need your savings to buy the basic things in the apartment and feed.Contribute to the house keeping of your host with common sense, buy groceries that are needed and don't be a glutton, though food is affordable, and plentiful, it does not mean you can go on a eating spree. Immigrants are very concerned about every dime they spend!

A guy shared an apartment with other guys hustling like him. He realized he was the one spending more in the home simply because he just arrived from Nigeria. The other guys always complained of no money for the fact that they had been staying in America for many years. He was yet to get a job and his money was dwindling down. Do you know what he did? He sent the money back home to his account and kept a little,and was managing that until he got a survival job. The money came handy when it was time for him to move into his own apartment. If not he would have squandered every dime and be at the mercy of his host, and here in America, everybody bears his father's name!

The MOST important advise of all is that, DO NOT OVER STAY YOUR WELCOME IN YOUR HOST HOME! It will cause strife!

Thanks Sandraluck12 for shedding more light on immigrating to The United state, please I will like to know where you reside and how will can help our people to get Job as fast as possible.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by sandraluck12: 5:25pm On Oct 16, 2012
Thank you Adesoji. You and temmytanny are doing a very good job on this forum, well done.

I am a new immigrant myself. I am based in NJ... for now.(thinking of relocating to other states, NY/NJ remind me of Lagos too much smiley).

On jobs, no shaking.... cheers.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by ebykings(f): 6:18pm On Oct 16, 2012
sandraluck12: The first thought of any person relocating to America, is what am i expected to bring along that is IMPORTANT, so as to avoid excess luggage and un-wanted/un-useful items. Now, let me share this few tips with you:

Nice one
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by teemola(f): 5:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
ebykings:

Nice one

talking on Job search, writing an American type of resume was one of the challenge I faced as a new immigrant,our cv/resume is quite different from what is obtainable in the state,I will advice new immigrant to locate the nearest Carrier center in their location and register, registration is free and you will also have access to Internet,fax,phone and photocopier,you will also access training on writing a good resume,Computer training and other skills that may enhance your job search.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 5:35pm On Oct 17, 2012
teemola:

talking on Job search, writing an American type of resume was one of the challenge I faced as a new immigrant,our cv/resume is quite different from what is obtainable in the state,I will advice new immigrant to locate the nearest Carrier center in their location and register, registration is free and you will also have access to Internet,fax,phone and photocopier,you will also access training on writing a good resume,Computer training and other skills that may enhance your job search.
tanx mam
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 18, 2012
[quote
author=adesojiaderemi@]

1) the top ten cities to live with low unemployment rate, cheap
accommodation and low cost of leaving

Top Cities in the U.S. to Call Home
1. Austin, Texas
The “live music capital of the world” often finds itself on lists
covering the best places to live – and for good reason. With a
substantially lower unemployment rate than the national average (just
6.3% as opposed to 8.3% nationally), no state income tax, eight colleges
and universities, clean water, and plenty of open space surrounding the
metro area, this city of more than 700,000 people sits smack in the
middle of the vast Texas landscape.
Austin has 228 sunny days per year, with temperatures rarely falling
below the average low of 40 degrees in January. A median home price of
$196,000 means that the average young resident (age 34.1) has a good
chance of affording his or her own home. Furthermore, workers have a
strong chance of finding a telecommuting job and working from home, as
Austin is ranked as the number four city in the country for employers
offering teleworking.
The city contains 3,127 people per square mile, and 83.4% of residents
have a high school diploma or higher.

2. Omaha, Nebraska
With just a 4.7% unemployment rate, this city of 380,000 seems to be
beating the odds in terms of job creation during the recession. There
are other facets of Omaha that make it an attractive place to live: A
median income of more than $53,000, and 12 colleges and universities are
especially enticing to younger people. It is a relatively affordable
place to live as well, as the average home price is just $129,200, while
the average rent cost is $716 monthly. In fact, the cost of living in
Omaha is 11% lower than the national average.
Residents of Omaha also enjoy 214 sunny days per year, clean air, and a
medical system that provides a whopping 329 physicians for every 100,000
residents. With an up-and-coming cultural scene that features art
galleries, restaurants, and nightclubs, young adults are finding that
there is plenty to do in Omaha.

3. Boulder, Colorado
Nestled aside the majestic Rocky Mountains a few miles northwest of
downtown Denver, Boulder is the nature lover’s ideal choice. The city
features world-class skiing, camping, hiking, and biking, as well as
great restaurants, museums, and public libraries.
In this city of slightly less than 100,000 residents, the median income
is $65,000 per year, with most working in professional, scientific, and
technical service industries. However, it can be hard to stretch those
dollars here: The average home cost in Boulder is $410,200, and the cost
of living is 39.40% higher than the national average. The population is
mostly comprised of single thirty-somethings who enjoy living a green
life – Boulder is ranked the seventh greenest city in the country.

4. Boise, Idaho
A city of 200,000, with a median household income of $50,961, Boise has
lower taxes than the national average and a stable economy. With 206
sunny days per year and easy access to skiing, hiking, biking, and
boating, the city offers many of the same outdoor activities as Boulder
for a fraction of the cost. Within its 63.8 square miles, an average
home runs about $191,500.
An additional plus is that Boise has done a great job of lowering its
crime rate each year for the past 12 years – in spite of a staggering
population growth of 36% since 1990.

5. San Francisco, California
Sure, San Francisco is crowded – there are nearly 800,000 people who
call the city home, and 7.15 million people in the Bay Area – but with
great public transportation, two professional sports teams, generally
temperate weather, world-class museums and restaurants, and 20
institutions of higher education, it’s hard to go wrong. San Francisco
is a great place to be single too, as there are twice as many single
residents as married.
At $75,000 per year, the average income is high, but it is also a very
expensive city to live in: The median home cost is nearly $650,000, the
sales tax is 8.5%, and the income tax is 9.3%. It costs a lot to live in
San Francisco, but if you can afford it, The City by the Bay is a
jewel.

6. Charlotte, North Carolina
Home to the headquarters of Bank of America, Duke Energy, Lowe’s, and
Family Dollar, Charlotte has grown from a sleepy city into a strong
corporate and financial center. There are 1.6 million people who call
Charlotte home, and it’s no surprise – they enjoy a lower-than-average
property tax rate, low utility rates, an average home price of just
under $175,000, a professional basketball and football team, 218 sunny
days, and just four inches of snow per year.
The city has seen an astounding 22.1% growth rate since the early 2000s,
and yet Charlotte residents stick to their roots and continue to dish
out all the southern charm you can handle.

what abt chicago?cost of living,accomodatn.thanks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Lucy001(f): 3:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
Nice tips der frm all the contributors to this thread, well done, wishing u guys all the best IJN!!!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by kaiye007: 10:06pm On Oct 18, 2012
For thos of u that have play american visa lottery b4.. Pls is this photo meet the required size for the Dv lottery?

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 10:20pm On Oct 18, 2012
kaiye007: For thos of u that have play american visa lottery b4.. Pls is this photo meet the required size for the Dv lottery?
m not ok wit it cos of your white shirt blends with white background.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:10pm On Oct 18, 2012
kaiye007: For thos of u that have play american visa lottery b4.. Pls is this photo meet the required size for the Dv lottery?

Check this link for Correct photo type http://travel.state.gov/visa/visaphotoreq/photoexamples/photoexamples_5331.html
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:38pm On Oct 18, 2012
[quote author=gydlol][/quote]

Chicago is the 3rd most largest city in Us, Just like New York and California the cost of living is Generally high,unemployment rate is 9.8%.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 19, 2012
[quote
author=adesojiaderemi@]

Chicago is the 3rd most largest city in Us, Just like New York and
California the cost of living is Generally high,unemployment rate is

Thanks for the info.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:26am On Oct 20, 2012
teemola:

Career centers are very helpful in Job search, you can access all available jobs in your area at a time plus recruiter also organize "JOB FAIR" to recruit candidates.

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by kaiye007: 7:17pm On Oct 20, 2012
@temmytanny, i have already played it with this picture. But does it mean that i will not have chances to be nominated?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by kaiye007: 7:19pm On Oct 20, 2012
I have read the photo instructions and i did not come across where they mentioned that white shirt will not be wear. Im very confuse now!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 7:54pm On Oct 20, 2012
kaiye007: I have read the photo instructions and i did not come across where they mentioned that white shirt will not be wear. Im very confuse now!
Am not saying u shouldnt wear white shirt but the background color shouldnt blend wit ur shirt
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by kaiye007: 8:22pm On Oct 20, 2012
temmytanny: Am not saying u shouldnt wear white shirt but the background color shouldnt blend wit ur shirt

Ok wat are my chances of winning? should i be disqualify because of dat?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 8:42pm On Oct 20, 2012
kaiye007:

Ok wat are my chances of winning? should i be disqualify because of dat?
i dont think so
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by teemola(f): 12:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Career centers are very helpful in Job search, you can access all available jobs in your area at a time plus recruiter also organize "JOB FAIR" to recruit candidates.

Monster.com and indeed.com are good sites to source for job too, but their third party school agents are very disturbing.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 8:11pm On Oct 22, 2012
I just arrived USA today!
Its been weeks of anxiety and i must strongly thank you all for your support esp Kemzone2003 and adesoji.

Coming into US tru texas with expired medicals isnt advisable. Though other cities might over look it but Texas wont. Apart from medical issues,Texas dont start processing of SSN for you until after 21days. I was at sola sola office last week and a lady from Nigeria was asked to come back after 21days before she can apply.

The issue i had with medicals had cost me time and money and i dont wish any one of you fall into my situation especially when you have hosts who arent accommodating. My host have been very helpful,he keeps telling me to relax,eat and sleep until i get my SSN and GC. Apart from my medicals,i havent spent a dollar of the money i brought to US for anything. I pray you all coming to US will have a host like mine.

Am i making sense at all? sorry, i too over joy.....will chat with you later.

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Leripa(m): 8:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
temmytanny: I just arrived USA today!
Its been weeks of anxiety and i must strongly thank you all for your support esp Kemzone2003 and adesoji.

Coming into US tru texas with expired medicals isnt advisable. Though other cities might over look it but Texas wont. Apart from medical issues,Texas dont start processing of SSN for you until after 21days. I was at sola sola office last week and a lady from Nigeria was asked to come back after 21days before she can apply.

The issue i had with medicals had cost me time and money and i dont wish any one of you fall into my situation especially when you have hosts who arent accommodating. My host have been very helpful,he keeps telling me to relax,eat and sleep until i get my SSN and GC. Apart from my medicals,i havent spent a dollar of the money i brought to US for anything. I pray you all coming to US will have a host like mine.

Congrats bro...I'm happy for you ooo. Welcome to America.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 8:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
Leripa:

Congrats bro...I'm happy for you ooo. Welcome to America.
tanx bro
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:33pm On Oct 22, 2012
temmytanny: I just arrived USA today!

Congratulation bro,you are welcome.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:41pm On Oct 22, 2012
teemola:

Monster.com and indeed.com are good sites to source for job too, but their third party school agents are very disturbing.

They are very good site for jobsearch ,but the school issue is something else,I was recieving invitation from more than 10 schools a day while interview was once in a month.I also got an interview from one of the Job posted on craiglist, but when i heard a nigerian got killed by craiglist offer while trying to buy a car I ran.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (88) (Reply)

Lies Of Nigerians Living In America / Authenticity Of Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Abuja / Any Nairalander In Abidjan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.