Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! (18310 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 6:57pm On Oct 13, 2012
firestar: Could the date be shifted? I really want to participate in this and was really excited with the list you had although some could request to join.
November, is very uncertain I'm afraid.

Uncertain for you? Some contestants are still available for the debate.

I have also changed the topic, I am posting the topic today.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by firestar(f): 7:02pm On Oct 13, 2012
Okay, I'll be staying tuned.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 12:07am On Oct 14, 2012
TOPIC:

Who is to blame when a child engages in sex ual activities without the right knowledge about harms associated with such;
is it the parents, media or teachers(government)?

INTRODUCTION

With the increasing occurrence of Teenage pregnancy, r*ape and abortion in children and adolescents,
the arising question of the relevance of Sex ual education is definitely inevitable.

Sadly, parents, especially Africans often pretend these are non existent issues and shy away from the truth.
The question is whose job is it really to arm our Children, Teenagers and young adults with relevant information regarding sex?

After Birth, Children gradually develop inquisitive consciousness about sexuality;
the female child is treated in a subtle manner while the male child gradually assumes the role of the dad when he is not around.

A child no matter how innocent is conscious and naturally drawn to the opposite sex,
because of the natural instinct built into our genes.

This is why there is need for sex ual education as soon as possible, when a parent feels the child can understand,
more so when physical characteristics like development of brea st, menstruation, hips begin to show in girls,
while the boys begin to grow beards, developed broad shoulders and deep voices and in several cases have wet dreams.

WHO'S TO BLAME?

Studies about sex ual activities between an adult and a child have examined the impact of sexual abuse based on the role of the child
(i.e., encouraging, passive, resisting) to ascertain the responsibility of the child and the adult perpetrator in the act.

Significantly, blames have been apportioned more to the child and significantly less responsibility to the perpetrator when the child
was described as encouraging the encounter

Should children who remained passive be held significantly more responsible than those who resisted?

Should the adult/perpetrator be held significantly more responsible even if he was encouraged by the child?

Should children be blamed for perceiving the abuse as disgusting and coping with the abuse by pretending it never happened?

Should a child be blamed for having a close relationship with the perpetrator, experiencing severe sex ual abuse
(e.g., long-lasting abuse that involved penetration?)

Parents are more likely to blame and doubt their children when their child has been sexually abused by another adolescent instead of an adult.

The society, the government, the media, teachers and the parents have been blamed for the lack of guidance,
sex ual education and educational programs to raise public awareness about the helplessness felt by sex ual abuse victims and the needs of male victims in particular.

It is a known fact that sex ual abuse and decadence in morality has been on the increase in modern times due to one contributing factor or the other.
One of these factors has been identified to be the exposure to the internet or World Wide Web.
Our fore parents and old traditional society was able to curb this disease to considerable one or two negative occurrence when there was no internet.

Now with the emergence of formal education, the World Wide Web, smart phones and liberalized media, the scourge seems to have increased.
So we ask our intending debaters if lack of proper sex ual education should still be blamed on our parents or should it be shifted to the media or teachers who are responsible for enlightenment and formal education in the modern society.
Who is more equipped or qualified to impact such kind of education,
do we need standard and formalized method for this type of education or the normal parental guidance is enough to properly guide
these youngsters even in the face of the internet and sophisticated windows of exposure to immorality.
Who takes the Bulk of the Blame?

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 1:15am On Oct 14, 2012
pendo89: Dear cuddle,

I am not a suitable candidate for online debates due to availability.Got a crazy daily schedule,so best I can do is pop in and out fast.
Crazy conference again in November so.. kinda busy throughout the month.
Pardon my absence please.

Love.

chaircover: Hi Guys I only just saw this thread. What a great concept. Well done.

Thank you very much for the invite, but Im So Sorry, I am going to have to pass on this as I will have to research on child soldiers as this is not a topic I have much knowledge on, which isn't such a bad thing as no knowledge is wasted, but the problem is that I am really busy with other commitments at the moment.

If its not too late, Id love to see Busybody on your list.

Goodluck everyone kiss

Thank you.

I hope you can take part in future initiatives like this.

The topic has been changed and the debate is in November, just in case you are available then.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by donguutti: 6:23am On Oct 14, 2012
Nice topic for debate, maybe we can get to learn more about the child abuse epidemic currently affecting
us and about its effects on the future of the kids and it would be better if we could also get some views
from psychiatrists about what "Motivates" child abusers, molesters etc.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by JallowBah(f): 4:17pm On Oct 14, 2012
I`m in.

But, I have never been engaged in these "set-up-debate"-things. Do I have to be here, ready, at a certain time and date, or can I jump in when I feel like it, and have time, like I do on other topics?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 4:37pm On Oct 14, 2012
JallowBah: I`m in.

But, I have never been engaged in these "set-up-debate"-things. Do I have to be here, ready, at a certain time and date, or can I jump in when I feel like it, and have time, like I do on other topics?

It's on the 3rd of November, 2012.

What's your availability like for the month of November?

It's the availability of all debaters that will determine the time the debate will commence.

The structure of the debate will be posted later, we are working it.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by JallowBah(f): 5:08pm On Oct 14, 2012
Cuddlemii:

It's on the 3rd of November, 2012.

What's your availability like for the month of November?

It's the availability of all debaters that will determine the time the debate will commence.

The structure of the debate will be posted later, we are working it.

As far as I know, I can at that time. I never do know if I suddenly get to work extra, though, so will keep my eyes open heresmiley
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 5:19pm On Oct 14, 2012
JallowBah:

As far as I know, I can at that time. I never do know if I suddenly get to work extra, though, so will keep my eyes open heresmiley

Ok!

Feel free to make suggestions on the topic and every other thing related to the debate.

For your reference, Season 1-->https://www.nairaland.com/995999/nairalands-literary-debating-day

Thanks!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 2:15pm On Oct 17, 2012
Oh dear Cuddle me, I no see o. I remembered viewing this thread at the beginning when u were etill calling on the debaters, but got busy. How did I not see it? Se e never too late.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 2:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
Cudllemii, u just added my name jor. I viewed that thread b4 na. grin

3rd of Nov se? Is all settled?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 2:20pm On Oct 17, 2012
Did u change the topic? The one I saw was on Child Abuse or so

Send me a mail, my email is my id @ymail.com
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by firestar(f): 2:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
smiley
I pray network does not fail on that day.
Jah's willing, 3rd it is.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 2:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
Are u a ghost? How can u be here and there at the same tym cheesy
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by firestar(f): 2:37pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tgirl4real: Are u a ghost? How can u be here and there at the same tym cheesy
Eh? embarassed
Cuddles invited me too.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 2:46pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tgirl4real: Cudllemii, u just added my name jor. I viewed that thread b4 na. grin

3rd of Nov se? Is all settled?

Nah. At first, I explained that one judge will be added.

After I changed the topic, we put you as a judge because the topic has a lot to do with the family and you be expert for that category na.

Yes, it's on the 3rd.

I will email you later.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 5:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
Okies...

I'm already blushing like an efiko grin

firestar:
Eh? embarassed
Cuddles invited me too.

U don't get. I saw ur post on the chat thread, just as this one was landing cheesy
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Rocktation(f): 5:44pm On Oct 17, 2012
The thing now is, I don't think that I'll have a lot to say on this topic, as there wouldn't be a lot to even draw from research. It's going to be more like a discussion and there'd be almost nothing to refute. The child soldiering/abuse promised more controversies and challenge and I was willing to do reaaaal assignments. Buh now...tsk tsk. I just hope that I'm not falling your hand, Cuddles... embarassed. But I really don't feel this.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by firestar(f): 6:09pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tgirl4real: Okies...

I'm already blushing like an efiko grin

U don't get. I saw ur post on the chat thread, just as this one was landing cheesy
My fingers are sometimes as quick...or just as slow.
It comes and goes.
wink
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by EfemenaXY: 6:28pm On Oct 17, 2012
Hi Cuddlemii - Sorry I'm going to have to bail out on this one too.

Reason being I find this topic a bit flat (my opinion). The previous topic was a bit more controversial and did get my juices flowing. I was actually gunning for supporting the motion on Child Soldiers. Like Rocktation mentioned - that would have involved some serious research. This new topic just doesn't cut it for me, nor do I find it challenging or motivating.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the other participants here would do better justice to this new topic.

All The Best!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Pharoh: 6:38pm On Oct 17, 2012
Rocktation: The thing now is, I don't think that I'll have a lot to say on this topic, as there wouldn't be a lot to even draw from research. It's going to be more like a discussion and there'd be almost nothing to refute. The child soldiering/abuse promised more controversies and challenge and I was willing to do reaaaal assignments. Buh now...tsk tsk. I just hope that I'm not falling your hand, Cuddles... embarassed. But I really don't feel this.

Actually the stated topic is not written in stone and since this debate is specifically restricted to the women folk then the topic is open for changes. Maybe a list of topics can be posted latest by tomorrow and the intending contestants can choose the most interesting and challenging of the lot. If you have more examples of topics to debate then you can suggest it here and others can do likewise. Good to see actual discussion on the thread now and hopefully before the end of the week, other aspects of the debate will be made known.

Thanks for your feedback

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 7:03pm On Oct 17, 2012
Rocktation: The thing now is, I don't think that I'll have a lot to say on this topic, as there wouldn't be a lot to even draw from research. It's going to be more like a discussion and there'd be almost nothing to refute. The child soldiering/abuse promised more controversies and challenge and I was willing to do reaaaal assignments. Buh now...tsk tsk. I just hope that I'm not falling your hand, Cuddles... embarassed. But I really don't feel this.

Efemena_xy: Hi Cuddlemii - Sorry I'm going to have to bail out on this one too.

Reason being I find this topic a bit flat (my opinion). The previous topic was a bit more controversial and did get my juices flowing. I was actually gunning for supporting the motion on Child Soldiers. Like Rocktation mentioned - that would have involved some serious research. This new topic just doesn't cut it for me, nor do I find it challenging or motivating.

Nevertheless, I sure the other participants here would do better justice to this new topic.

All The Best!

The concept of child soldiers and child trafficking has been on my mind for months but it seemed everyone was not into it that is why I changed the topic.

I am glad, you guys are expressing your concerns. We must ensure the debaters are comfortable with all our decisions and we must also cater to your needs, you are our priority.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Tgirl4real(f): 8:15pm On Oct 17, 2012
I kinda understand what Efe and Rocktation is saying. The topic is better as a discussion. However, Pharoah has made a good suggestion.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tgirl4real: I kinda understand what Efe and Rocktation is saying. The topic is better as a discussion. However, Pharoah has made a good suggestion.

True!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Rocktation(f): 10:53pm On Oct 17, 2012
I love you Cuddles, have I mentioned this before? smiley. Please forgive me for complaining, but yeah any VERY controversial topic will do. And Thanks too Pharoh.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 1:02am On Oct 18, 2012
Viewing this topic: Caracta(f)

type something! smiley
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Caracta(f): 1:18am On Oct 18, 2012
oooh Cuddlemii...lol. I'm still looking out for the updates. Methinks the topic can be modified too, into a more debatable topic. Though i love the 'blame' part. Or perhaps you could openly suggest for topics if you wouldn't be breaking the rules. Whichever way, i'm sure you guys will come up with brilliant and creative ideas. #winks#
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 1:24am On Oct 18, 2012
Caracta: oooh Cuddles...lol. I'm still looking out for the updates. Methinks the topic can be modified too, into a more debatable topic. Though i love the 'blame' part. Or perhaps you could openly suggest for topics if you wouldn't be breaking the rules. Whichever way, i'm sure you guys will come up with brilliant and creative ideas. #winks#

Are you comfortable with the child trafficking/child soldiers theme?

child trafficking/child soldiers was actually the initial topic before I changed it to the "blame" topic
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Caracta(f): 1:30am On Oct 18, 2012
I prefer the 'blame' topic. I actually didn't read the 'child trafficking' part, but it sounds like it might be difficult to argue against it.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:47am On Oct 18, 2012
The new topic is not debateable,rather discuss it.can we pls hv another topic?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by cowgurl: 10:42am On Oct 19, 2012
Hi cuddles,
been battling with my eyesight hence my sudden absence.

I can see we have a new topic, not bad as well as it can also be debated given the various variables you listed alongside.
I can also see contestants finally speaking out and that's progress.

@Pharoh, loved ur post but I feel we are so behind time i.e if we are still holding this debate on the 3rd of Nov, so 'l suggest we work with the 2 topics already listed on here and let contestants indicate their stand esp on the first topics (opposing or supporting like Efemena did) then we proceed from there but if you guys already have something else mapped out, please paste it ASAP and let's get this phase done with by the weekend as it has dragged on for so long now.

**I know am still on the pending list, will definitely take my stand before the debate commence**

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How Much Should I Charge For A 150 Paged Novel On Fiverr / The Fulcrum (an Action Packed Spy Thriller) / Sweet And Secret Valentine By Rose Chibimobim Akpabio (seductive And Exciting)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.