Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,212 members, 7,815,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe (7447 Views)

Jonathan Not A Corrupt Leader – Ebenezer Babatope / Jonathan won’t contest in 2019 – Babatope / Stop Antagonizing Jonathan's government, Ebenezer Babatope Tells Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by ektbear: 6:37pm On Oct 05, 2012
How about we declare a ceasefire on these pictures
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by bashr8: 6:57pm On Oct 05, 2012
ekt_bear: The main lesson I have learned from this is not to make assumptions again about someone being reasonable, or to hold someone in esteem w/o knowing more about them. I obviously didn't know much about Achebe, to think he was beyond pulling this tribal, biased stunt.
yea he should have kept his mouth shut or praised gowon and awolowo for their role. i used to think your one of the few yorubas with sense(same category as fela, soyinka etc) but guess am wrong, wonder why all the respected yorubas sided the biafran side because respectable people dont support foolishness and evil. the same hawolowo instigate operation wettie where yorubas where killing each other or have you forgotten.
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by warrior01: 7:00pm On Oct 05, 2012
ekt_bear: How about we declare a ceasefire on these pictures
why? Are you ashamed of awolowo's genocidal acts? Pls learn to look at those pics everyday so as to remind you of the 'brave acts' of your hero; afterall, all is fair in war.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 7:04pm On Oct 05, 2012
ekt_bear: The main lesson I have learned from this is not to make assumptions again about someone being reasonable, or to hold someone in esteem w/o knowing more about them. I obviously didn't know much about Achebe, to think he was beyond pulling this tribal, biased stunt.
Achebe is known all over the world for his literary genius and not for being reasonable(whatever that means).I wonder what you guys are expecting him to say about Awolowo. Is it that he's the best thing to happen to Nigeria?? In as much as this is the anthem of many people from the western region, other people have their own anthem and can't be loyal to another anthem. That's how life is. In as much as Hitler is demonized by people around the world as one of the satanic figures that graced the world in the 19th century, he's still being idolized by germans. The same thing applies to Ojukwu who's demonized by mostly non-Igbo Nigerians. But Igbos see him as their demi-God. Take it or leave it, people see people from different perspective depending on what side of...
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by dayokanu(m): 7:28pm On Oct 05, 2012
Achebe is senile No surprises there

1 Like

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by ektbear: 7:34pm On Oct 05, 2012
warrior01:
why? Are you ashamed of awolowo's genocidal acts? Pls learn to look at those pics everyday so as to remind you of the 'brave acts' of your hero; afterall, all is fair in war.

*shrug*

I was just trying to be nice. Let the pictures continue, then.
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 05, 2012
achebe, may God and the spirit of our ancestors keep you alive for many more years
you have placed truth in the minds of the whole world
from now on, every reader worldwide will point out the killers of innocent children in biafra
thank you prof!
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by Awake9ja(m): 8:01pm On Oct 05, 2012
First i must say that am a middle Beltan from Benue state. So am neutral in my conclusions.

I have my reservations agains the ibo s, yorubas , hausas etc.

Sometimes i wonder why the ibo can't let go of the past loose
Sometime also i have to commend them because they are the only tribe in naija that socialize with every tribe without discrimination. Intact the ibos are the ones practise one naija others are hypocrites including my tribe.

But the ibo must let go.
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by Awake9ja(m): 8:14pm On Oct 05, 2012
I later found the reason of ibo bitterness towards yorubas instead of hausas .

Ibos blv that yorubas are their brothers therefore shouldn't have join the war against biafra .
But they miscalculated bcus even the hausas never trusted the yorubas during the said war nor ever.

Don't trust too much, a hard lesson the ibo must learn.
Forget about yorubas we all know them.
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by sheyguy: 8:17pm On Oct 05, 2012
Achebe comes out to say what he thinks and the next thing you see is these useless celebration from his kinsmen . . . Next time you guys should go to war with food and shelter covered. . . War is no hit and run affair.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by chosen04(f): 8:48pm On Oct 05, 2012
^^^^^^^^

Does the Policy of 2O Pound by the Rat Poison loving sage have anything to do with the war itself?

Achebe was right.
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by demmy(m): 8:50pm On Oct 05, 2012
bashr8: the same hawolowo instigate operation wettie where yorubas where killing each other or have you forgotten.

Another tale by moonlight. Awolowo was in prison during 'Operation Wetie' you fool. But hey don't let that fact distract you from your blissful ignorance.

So you know, it was the Eastern government of Michael Okpara that was behind 'Operation Wetie':

"The assassination attempt on Professor Biobaku was in line with the operation wetie" mayhem going on all
over Western Nigeria in which human beings were being doused with petrol and set ablaze. Those dastardly acts were being perpetrated by Yorubas, but the perpetrators, their organizers and co-ordinators were being funded by the government of Eastern Nigeria under Dr. Michael Okpara, according to intelligence reports available to the Western Nigerian government. "

http://www.dawodu.com/agbe1.htm
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by Ikengawo: 8:56pm On Oct 05, 2012
Awake9ja: I later found the reason of ibo bitterness towards yorubas instead of hausas .

Ibos blv that yorubas are their brothers therefore shouldn't have join the war against biafra .
But they miscalculated bcus even the hausas never trusted the yorubas during the said war nor ever.

Don't trust too much, a hard lesson the ibo must learn.
Forget about yorubas we all know them.

Igbos respect Hausas because the Hausa people like the Igbo people have heart. If the hausa man love you, you must know it. If the Hausa man hates you, you must know it. They open, honest, and clear about their objective and who they are. If they're against us and we're against them it's a clear and open fight and everyone acts based of bravery.

now assess the yoruba
when Awolowo was plotting to use dying children as a method to win a war, we as also saying that if nigeria lost the yoruba would secede as well. If hausas are attacking christians, christian yorubas are the ones telling them which homes to attack. When NIgeria was splitting during biafra, they didn't assist the hausa until they felt they were 'attacked' and now, despite announcing they're ready to wait for Igbo bravery to me the determining factor of their future in nigeria, they're claiming they were for one nigeria the whole time when in reality they weren't.

They're also crabs in a bucket. If you put crabs in a bucket and one starts to climb out, on at the bottom will pull him down in his attempt to try and climb as well. They'll pinch and crawl on each other until they're all cooked and killed by the person that put them in that bucket.

Why did Awolowo feel the best way to advance you Yoruba was in killing and disenfranchising the igbos? Why did Abiola feel the best way to advance his political career was in funding the same military that killed and jailed almost the entire yoruba intelligensia? Why do these people see the sneaking around to destroy others meanwhile never taking on the fight as their means of advancing?

And this is just nigeria, when they're left on their own they begin tearing each other apart. Yoruba becomes Oyo V Ife V whatever other denomination they can find. This is why the Bini, one single tiny minority, was able to conquer all of yoruba land. This is why the fulani jihadist were able to conquer half of yoruba land, this is the exact situation the british saw and documented when they were conquering yoruba land. A bunch of 'leaders' tearing each other down, making sure nobody out succeeded them meanwhile not succeeding what so ever.

So no go back and look at the condition the Yoruba are in. No igbo village will every be as backwards and dilapidated as a Yoruba village and we were almost pushed into extinction. No igbo man lives as pitifully as the yoruba in Makoko. The Yoruba are on the street begging with the Hausa. So like the crabs in the bucket where has your treachery taken you? No where. I can list thousands of igbos effecting the world right now and Yoruba will list Obas that physically fight each other and politicians as their 'leaders' and defend this crabs till the death without having the courage to fight.
The fact remains, the crabs in a bucket mentality isn't strong enough to hold back the Igbo race. Jonathan is president as we wished, We're in Nasa, We're the worlds best scientists, we're the worlds best writers, we're the executive of the NY stock exchange, we've surpassed hollywood, we've surpassed Nigeria, we're crawled out of the bucket.

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by demmy(m): 9:02pm On Oct 05, 2012
^^^What is this?

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by PointB: 9:12pm On Oct 05, 2012
ekt_bear: How about we declare a ceasefire on these pictures

Those pictures posted by Eko Atlantic are spot on. They are a sad reminder of children who survived Awolowo's calculated genocide. Many of them luckily are still walking the length and breadth of Nigeria today, thriving.

So when next you see a picture of starving Biafran children, just remember that Awolowo intended to kill them all. As in his warped mind, 'all is fair in war!' Perhaps Ojukwu was too trusting, he should have left the mass murderer die in Calabar prison!

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by EkoAtlantic2(f): 9:15pm On Oct 05, 2012
lipsrsealed
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by dayokanu(m): 9:16pm On Oct 05, 2012
PointB:

Those pictures posted by Eko Atlantic are spot on. They are a sad reminder of children who survived Awolowo's calculated genocide. Many of them luckily are still walking the length and breadth of Nigeria today, thriving.

So when next you see a picture of starving Biafran children, just remember that Awolowo intended to kill them all. As in his warped mind, 'all is fair in war!' Perhaps Ojukwu was too trusting, he should have left the mass murderer die in Calabar prison!

Yeah those pictures are evidence of the evil the reside in Ojuku that made him ridiculed all his life. Lost every election even Senate in his home town and died dead dumb and lonely

Lucifer would surely be pummeling Ojuku right now

1 Like

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by PointB: 9:17pm On Oct 05, 2012
Awake9ja: First i must say that am a middle Beltan from Benue state. So am neutral in my conclusions.

I have my reservations agains the ibo s, yorubas , hausas etc.

Sometimes i wonder why the ibo can't let go of the past loose
Sometime also i have to commend them because they are the only tribe in naija that socialize with every tribe without discrimination. Intact the ibos are the ones practise one naija others are hypocrites including my tribe.

But the ibo must let go.

There has not been any real effort at reconciliation, let alone justice. Rather attempts were made to sweep the death of over 3 million people (mostly women and children) under the carpet. Nigeria murdered sleep, and will never know peace, until proper reconciliation is done.

Achebe has eloquently placed the burden on the conscience of Nigerians. Let the debate/unraveling continue!

1 Like

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by dayokanu(m): 9:19pm On Oct 05, 2012
PointB:

There has not been any real effort at reconciliation, let alone justice. Rather attempts were made to sweep the death of over 3 million people (mostly women and children) under the carpet. Nigeria murdered sleep, and will never know peace, until proper reconciliation is done.

Achebe has eloquently placed the burden on the conscience of Nigerians. Let the debate/unraveling continue!

3m people died as a result of the war Ojuku plunged his people in. If you must blame someone blame Ike-eba the daft guy who took y'all to war

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by PointB: 9:20pm On Oct 05, 2012
dayokanu:

Yeah those pictures are evidence of the evil the reside in Ojuku that made him ridiculed all his life. Lost every election even Senate in his home town and died dead dumb and lonely

Lucifer would surely be pummeling Ojuku right now

Let me let you into one secret. Each time I see your name, I actually read it as DayoOponu . That account for why I rarely respond to your idiocy. I hope that is settled now/
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by dayokanu(m): 9:26pm On Oct 05, 2012
PointB:

Let me let you into one secret. Each time I see your name, I actually read it as DayoOponu . That account for why I rarely respond to your idiocy. I hope that is settled now/

Coming from someone like you I wasnt expecting much from. Who cares what a lunatic thinks about him except another lunatic
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by realborn(m): 9:36pm On Oct 05, 2012
Shocking inappropriate comments pals.

Irrespective of what Achebe has said, we can exude our intellectual girth without the tantrums and tribalized opinions.

Whilst I concur that the highly respected Prof Achebe should not cast aspersions overtly or covertly at the legendary Papa Awolowo, I however would not be quick to derogate his hard earned reputation on the platform of utterances credited to him on this subject. Astute and civil arguments are in order, but hateful and distasteful word daggers are unnecessary.

I honestly believe these great men have lived their lives, with one late and the other aged. What is most pertinent is for US to ascertain measures to consciously and selflessly give best efforts towards changing the untoward course our beloved nation is rowing to. The oscillation towards bad and worse year in year out should be collectively addressed instead of brewing e-tribal wars and defending unscrupulous politicians who are same and same irrespective of their geopolitical heritage, party or affiliation.

Let's erode our vaults of incessant bashing of Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa. Whatever persists, as long as we remain under the auspices of the Federal Republic of Nigeria we remain one!

1 Like

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by demmy(m): 9:44pm On Oct 05, 2012
PointB:

Or maybe you should learn to feed yourselves first before starting a war. Just a suggestion.

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 05, 2012

That's the problem with Achebe. He is a bigot at heart. He would never admit that Igbo destroyed Nigeria. Who planned the first coup? Who destroyed federalism? Who brought unitary system to this country? They will shout progrom from now till tomorrow but never discuss the fact that it was a reaction that followed the unreasonable killings of Northern and Western leaders. They killed Northern and Western leaders sparing theirs and then embarked on policy of exporting civil servants to other regions. Did Ojukwu not boast of exporting civil servants from the East to the rest of Nigeria? There would have been no progrom if that coup was not executed. Ojukwu had no qualms with the first coup because it favored his people but was bitter with the counter coup that removed Ironsi.

When the crises that culminated in civil war started, Awolowo was in prison. So Awolowo could not have instigated the crises.
When released, he was part of delegation that appealed to Ojukwu to embrace peace. Ojukwu boasted of having the best black army on the continent thus dismissing Awo and his unwanted admonition. When Ojukwu proclaimed Biafra, FG declared police action (not outright war) in the hope of settling the dispute without full blown war. Ojukwu did not utilise the opportunity to reassess his readiness for war or reintegrate back into Nigeria.

When the war started, what exactly should Awolowo have done? Become a spy for Ojukwu in Gowon's cabinet or help defeat the Biafrans? If I were in his shoes, I would take the decision that protect the interests of my people. Were the Biafrans not advancing their own interests in a way? Awolowo was the genius that defeated Biafra and that's the source of this hatred against him. He provided the intellectual capital that bought the victory. Nothing more.

He changed Nigeria currency note. That effectively destroyed Biafra's ability to use counterfeited currency to import weapons and rendered their loot in Benin City useless. Even genuine Nigerian notes in their possession was rendered useless. Biafra currency did not have global acceptability at the time. That was the first policy that dramatically changed the course of the war. No means of purchasing weapons even if they had means of bring in the weapons. Of course, no major world powers was willing to back them.

The next move was to capture the sea borders and Benjamin Adekunle proved effective. That nailed any ability to import huge weapons through the sea. At that point, one would have thought Ojukwu would see reason, negotiate a cease fire and worked on reintegrating back to Nigeria. No, ojukwu was defiant. Biafra people in Ethiopia told the whole world there was no reason to negotiate.

With Nigeria having the superior air fire, there was no way Biafra could have won the war. Nigeria soldiers were better trained. They had captured sea borders, no weapons for Biafra while unhindered flow of weapons to Nigeria continued unabated. In a rare diplomatic success, Nigeria had the backing of USSR and USA-the two opposing world powers of the era, so no major world powers was willing to supply weapons. Giving this short synopsis, the war could be fought for several decades with each Biafran fighting to his or her last drop of blood but defeat was quite certain for Biafra as a state.

Since Nigeria could easily bring down any suspicious air plane, Biafra was at the mercy of Nigeria. They could not import anything, not even the basic necessities of life without some sort of Nigeria permission. To maintain flow of weapons, they had to mix weapons with whatever humanitarian shipment being flown in and that was the only way of guaranteeing fighting. Why didn't Ojukwu at that point call off the war and negotiate Biafra reintegration back to Nigeria? Why did he start running this jingles:

Okoro, don't be a coward! You ran from Kano, you ran from Kaduna, you left your belongings in Lagos
Are you going to run from Biafra now?
Take your weapons, fight the fight of bravery
Fight till death

That was the paraphrase of the refrain. But Ojukwu and his cronies continue to grow fat while Biafran casualties were mounting on daily basis with loss of territories. Why didn't Ojukwu come to his senses that as a person he haas lost but Igbo could still make something out of the situation by negotiating a cease fire and then followed the path of peace? Why was he goading the Igbo to continue the war that was lost at that stage? Why? Did Awolowo also prevent him from seeing reasons or making useful projections?

Now, Awolowo visited the soldiers at the war front. Following the fruitful discussions with the guys carrying the guns, with the guys at the war front, FG proclaimed no fly zone on the whole of Biafra. If any thing including birds fly in suspicious ways , bring it down. Biafra responded with propaganda that some shipments were needed for humanitarian concerns. At this point, why didn't ojukwu throw in the towel and at least negotiate something for Igbo people? Despite their propaganda, Nigeria remained adamant as it had no means of ensuring other than the whatever they were bring in , weapons were not included. That was the last straw that broke the camel back.

Achebe like to brand himself as intellectual. Why didn't he advise Ojukwu appropriately during the entire war particularly when the game was glaringly up? Like Awolowo did on Nigerian side, why didn't he supply the intellectual capital to Biafrans? Why wait for the eventual defeat before writing epistle that neither Ojukwu nor Awolowo will read? Why are they now blaming Awolowo for what was avoidable on their part? Why declare a war you have no means of prosecuting? Why declare a war you will need the permission of your enemy to import necessities of life? Did it not occur to them that the enemy might simply say NO to their request? The ultimate question: why leave a union you dominated only to come around and be blaming the guys you were dominating? Did Awolowo not advise against secession? Did Awolowo declare secession for them? Did Nigerian soldiers use Weapons of Mass Destruction? Is anything wrong in declaring or designating a part or the whole of your enemy territory a no fly zone?

What exactly are they blaming Awolowo for that Gowon is also not guilty of? why are they not shouting Gowon name to high heavens? The same man accused of inordinate ambition for power voluntarily resigned from Gowon's government after the war. Awolowo contested for presidency in 1979, Zik also participated in the electoral process. Even Ojukwu came back from exile to participate in political process. What exactly does Achebe meant by "It is my impression that Awolowo was driven by an overriding ambition for power, for himself and for his Yoruba people" ?

Achebe has neither logical nor factual details to back his assertion. He's just being the bigot that he is.

13 Likes

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by hercules07: 10:11pm On Oct 05, 2012
Prof na you Biko, you have hammered the nail in wella.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by EkoAtlantic2(f): 10:21pm On Oct 05, 2012
PointB:

How?
Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by vanbonattel: 10:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
The problem with Nigeria is our penchant for attacking the truth. Achebe has said the truth and the same enemies of Nigeria are getting uncomfortable about it. The truth will always prevail.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 05, 2012
Well said Prof smiley

Those that really want to know the men to be blamed for the civil war and the attendant tragedy should ask Messrs Ifeajuna Nzeogwu Ademoyega Gbuile Nwobosi Anuforo Onwuatuegwu (who shot his CO and his pregnant wife in their bed in Kaduna) from Jan 1966; they can also ask Murtala Muhammed, Martin Adamu, Joe Garba, TY Danjuma, Walbe, Babangida, Useni, Buhari, Abacha Dimka and other coupists of July 1966. Please read Max Siollun's book "Oil Politics and Violence", John De St Jorre...these books were authored by authors with no bias toward Igbo or Yoruba. Furthermore, I can understand the Papa Awo being ridiculed but can any reasonable person who has posted Alaafin's photo tell us what the Alaafin has to do with the late Papa Awo?

Prof Corruption:

That's the problem with Achebe. He is a bigot at heart. He would never admit that Igbo destroyed Nigeria. Who planned the first coup? Who destroyed federalism? Who brought unitary system to this country? They will shout progrom from now till tomorrow but never discuss the fact that it was a reaction that followed the unreasonable killings of Northern and Western leaders. They killed Northern and Western leaders sparing theirs and then embarked on policy of exporting civil servants to other regions. Did Ojukwu not boast of exporting civil servants from the East to the rest of Nigeria? There would have been no progrom if that coup was not executed. Ojukwu had no qualms with the first coup because it favored his people but was bitter with the counter coup that removed Ironsi.

When the crises that culminated in civil war started, Awolowo was in prison. So Awolowo could not have instigated the crises.
When released, he was part of delegation that appealed to Ojukwu to embrace peace. Ojukwu boasted of having the best black army on the continent thus dismissing Awo and his unwanted admonition. When Ojukwu proclaimed Biafra, FG declared police action (not outright war) in the hope of settling the dispute without full blown war. Ojukwu did not utilise the opportunity to reassess his readiness for war or reintegrate back into Nigeria.

When the war started, what exactly should Awolowo have done? Become a spy for Ojukwu in Gowon's cabinet or help defeat the Biafrans? If I were in his shoes, I would take the decision that protect the interests of my people. Were the Biafrans not advancing their own interests in a way? Awolowo was the genius that defeated Biafra and that's the source of this hatred against him. He provided the intellectual capital that bought the victory. Nothing more.

He changed Nigeria currency note. That effectively destroyed Biafra's ability to use counterfeited currency to import weapons and rendered their loot in Benin City useless. Even genuine Nigerian notes in their possession was rendered useless. Biafra currency did not have global acceptability at the time. That was the first policy that dramatically changed the course of the war. No means of purchasing weapons even if they had means of bring in the weapons. Of course, no major world powers was willing to back them.

The next move was to capture the sea borders and Benjamin Adekunle proved effective. That nailed any ability to import huge weapons through the sea. At that point, one would have thought Ojukwu would see reason, negotiate a cease fire and worked on reintegrating back to Nigeria. No, ojukwu was defiant. Biafra people in Ethiopia told the whole world there was no reason to negotiate.

With Nigeria having the superior air fire, there was no way Biafra could have won the war. Nigeria soldiers were better trained. They had captured sea borders, no weapons for Biafra while unhindered flow of weapons to Nigeria continued unabated. In a rare diplomatic success, Nigeria had the backing of USSR and USA-the two opposing world powers of the era, so no major world powers was willing to supply weapons. Giving this short synopsis, the war could be fought for several decades with each Biafran fighting to his or her last drop of blood but defeat was quite certain for Biafra as a state.

Since Nigeria could easily bring down any suspicious air plane, Biafra was at the mercy of Nigeria. They could not import anything, not even the basic necessities of life without some sort of Nigeria permission. To maintain flow of weapons, they had to mix weapons with whatever humanitarian shipment being flown in and that was the only way of guaranteeing fighting. Why didn't Ojukwu at that point call off the war and negotiate Biafra reintegration back to Nigeria? Why did he start running this jingles:

Okoro, don't be a coward! You ran from Kano, you ran from Kaduna, you left your belongings in Lagos
Are you going to run from Biafra now?
Take your weapons, fight the fight of bravery
Fight till death

That was the paraphrase of the refrain. But Ojukwu and his cronies continue to grow fat while Biafran casualties were mounting on daily basis with loss of territories. Why didn't Ojukwu come to his senses that as a person he haas lost but Igbo could still make something out of the situation by negotiating a cease fire and then followed the path of peace? Why was he goading the Igbo to continue the war that was lost at that stage? Why? Did Awolowo also prevent him from seeing reasons or making useful projections?

Now, Awolowo visited the soldiers at the war front. Following the fruitful discussions with the guys carrying the guns, with the guys at the war front, FG proclaimed no fly zone on the whole of Biafra. If any thing including birds fly in suspicious ways , bring it down. Biafra responded with propaganda that some shipments were needed for humanitarian concerns. At this point, why didn't ojukwu throw in the towel and at least negotiate something for Igbo people? Despite their propaganda, Nigeria remained adamant as it had no means of ensuring other than the whatever they were bring in , weapons were not included. That was the last straw that broke the camel back.

Achebe like to brand himself as intellectual. Why didn't he advise Ojukwu appropriately during the entire war particularly when the game was glaringly up? Like Awolowo did on Nigerian side, why didn't he supply the intellectual capital to Biafrans? Why wait for the eventual defeat before writing epistle that neither Ojukwu nor Awolowo will read? Why are they now blaming Awolowo for what was avoidable on their part? Why declare a war you have no means of prosecuting? Why declare a war you will need the permission of your enemy to import necessities of life? Did it not occur to them that the enemy might simply say NO to their request? The ultimate question: why leave a union you dominated only to come around and be blaming the guys you were dominating? Did Awolowo not advise against secession? Did Awolowo declare secession for them? Did Nigerian soldiers use Weapons of Mass Destruction? Is anything wrong in declaring or designating a part or the whole of your enemy territory a no fly zone?

What exactly are they blaming Awolowo for that Gowon is also not guilty of? why are they not shouting Gowon name to high heavens? The same man accused of inordinate ambition for power voluntarily resigned from Gowon's government after the war. Awolowo contested for presidency in 1979, Zik also participated in the electoral process. Even Ojukwu came back from exile to participate in political process. What exactly does Achebe meant by "It is my impression that Awolowo was driven by an overriding ambition for power, for himself and for his Yoruba people" ?

Achebe has neither logical nor factual details to back his assertion. He's just being the bigot that he is.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by LordNicvuitton(m): 10:49pm On Oct 05, 2012
Let's seperate facts from fiction.. D igbo civilians were d main casualties of d war, ask wole soyinka, col banjo and many other unbiased yoruba men and they'll tell u it's d truth but let bygone be bygone. I'm an Igbo guy frm Anambra & i want us 2 embrace love, pls my igbo brodas, 4giv and 4get d past, GOD has already consoled igbos. My 9ja delta brodas who lost their loved ones, pls 4give d igbos yorubas, hausa/fulanis & mid beltans that eva killed ur loved ones.. Yorubas, hausa/fulani, mid belt, pls 4give d igbos/9ja deltans that eva killed ur loved ones.. No tribe is superior, we r all humans, we r all brodas, let's nat let d hatred planted years ago by our british colonial mastas continue 2 grow.. If d world hates nigeria, must we also hate ourselves? Let's all cum 2geda & change d face of nairaland, preach oneness, shun tribalism, love and respect our neighbours & speak peace always.. Our real enemies r evil thoughts & evil spirits, nat our fellow humans.. Let's ask ourselves if we'll prefer 2 live alone in this country wit out any oda ethnic group? There is beauty in diversity.. Pls ponder on these and remain blessed my brodas..

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe by vanbonattel: 10:58pm On Oct 05, 2012
Lord Nicvuitton: Let's seperate facts from fiction.. D igbo civilians were d main casualties of d war, ask wole soyinka, col banjo and many other unbiased yoruba men and they'll tell u it's d truth but let bygone be bygone. I'm an Igbo guy frm Anambra & i want us 2 embrace love, pls my igbo brodas, 4giv and 4get d past, GOD has already consoled igbos. My 9ja delta brodas who lost their loved ones, pls 4give d igbos yorubas, hausa/fulanis & mid beltans that eva killed ur loved ones.. Yorubas, hausa/fulani, mid belt, pls 4give d igbos/9ja deltans that eva killed ur loved ones.. No tribe is superior, we r all humans, we r all brodas, let's nat let d hatred planted years ago by our british colonial mastas continue 2 grow.. If d world hates nigeria, must we also hate ourselves? Let's all cum 2geda & change d face of nairaland, preach oneness, shun tribalism, love and respect our neighbours & speak peace always.. Our real enemies r evil thoughts & evil spirits, nat our fellow humans.. Let's ask ourselves if we'll prefer 2 live alone in this country wit out any oda ethnic group? There is beauty in diversity.. Pls ponder on these and remain blessed my brodas..

Save your preaching for another thread, these people are still bitter about your progress today as they were in 1966. If they can get away with it, they will wipe you away, they believe you are too pompous and arrogant just because of your drive and industrious disposition. They believe you are too fast and will stop at nothing to paint you as a greedy criminal if you try to make more money than them. The will always subvert your ideas, block your suggestions and deflate your energy just because of your surname.

The ground is still not level, learn to walk with caution as the people that killed your father will not hesitate to kill you.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yakubu Gowon Not Dead! / Nnamdi Kanu Replies Northern Youth / President Elect Asiwaju Jagaban Bola Tinubu GCFR Being Mobbed In The UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.