Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,248 members, 7,815,366 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only - Religion (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only (16365 Views)

Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell / Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? / How I Got Born-again (Christians Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 05, 2012
Ubenedictus: i totally understand u and i blive bro anony totally understands me. I have been on this forums for a short time but i have learnt wen people esp frosbel(no offence) becomes interested in throwing scriptures they do so that they may comfortably acuse d other of heresy and to make a scene for d onlookers. The other party is made to look like a fool wu doesnt know his onions, d moment you start throwing back ur own scripture d discussion breaks down and everybody goes his own way. The person wu made d most convicing case is thought to be stupid d person with the greatest number of followers win.
If u think i'm lying go through the past threads on nairaland, at present i'm trying to distance myself from such and simply stand as a spectator.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 05, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I get you, bro. I also don't care to engage frosbel and his crew. However, this is not about winning/losing. It's totally about Truth. It matters nothing how many embrace Him, what matters is that He is unveiled.

And when He can be unveiled by reflecting a person's foolishness, we who carry Him should do so.

You mean the truth has been unveiled and the deception exposed.

I can tell you assuredly that you would not know the TRUTH if it walked pass you !

Writing endless and mostly vague articles does not equate to truth, truth is in scripture, the same scripture that you detest anyone quoting in response to your rather strange ideas.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Ubenedictus(m): 8:49pm On Nov 05, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I get you, bro. I also don't care to engage frosbel and his crew. However, this is not about winning/losing. It's totally about Truth. It matters nothing how many embrace Him, what matters is that He is unveiled.

And when He can be unveiled by reflecting a person's foolishness, we who carry Him should do so.
again i get ur point. To unveil a reality is useless unless there are people who arent blind who are capable of seeing and appreciating d reality. If u are unveiling a reality to one with closed minds it is like pouring water in the dark.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 8:51pm On Nov 05, 2012
Ubenedictus: again i get ur point. To unveil a reality is useless unless there are people who arent blind who are capable of seeing and appreciating d reality. If u are unveiling a reality to one with closed minds it is like pouring water in the dark.

catholic mother church and her daughters in agreement, what is new grin
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 9:09pm On Nov 05, 2012
Ubenedictus: again i get ur point. To unveil a reality is useless unless there are people who arent blind who are capable of seeing and appreciating d reality. If u are unveiling a reality to one with closed minds it is like pouring water in the dark.

When unveiling a reality with pagan myths I wonder what you hope to achieve.....

.....SMH!!!!
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Ubenedictus(m): 9:57pm On Nov 05, 2012
ijawkid:

When unveiling a reality with pagan myths I wonder what you hope to achieve.....

.....SMH!!!!
it seem ur dreams are simply abt dis "pagan" concept of ur. Please go get some rest and try been less superstitious, it will help u.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 06, 2012

Do you really? "What I tell you in the darkness, shout abroad when daybreak comes. What I whisper in your ear, shout from the housetops for all to hear." That's Jesus in Matthew 10:27. Your spirit may not be right, friend, and I'm not saying so for any reason other than mildly caution you. You engage in discussions like this to unveil Christ and you are to do so whether your message is accepted or not. Until it has been rejected, you must give it. When it has been, you may take it elsewhere.

I advise that you quit your worries of being made a fool or being rejected. Again, Mr Anony did right. He just didn't know it. I think that my twin is very wary of impropriety and stumbles, that's probably why he accepts rebuke readily especially about actions he's not very clear about. In the instance here, his reaction was perfect.

As for you, my friend, I exhort you to abandon debating for its own sake.

Edited.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Ubenedictus(m): 11:08am On Nov 06, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Do you really? "What I tell you in the darkness, shout abroad when daybreak comes. What I whisper in your ear, shout from the housetops for all to hear." That's Jesus in Matthew 10:27. Your spirit may not be right, friend, and I'm not saying so for any reason other than mildly caution you. You engage in discussions like this to unveil Christ and you are to do so whether your message is accepted or not. Until it has been rejected, you must give it. When it has been, you may take it elsewhere.

I advise that you quit your worries of being made a fool or being rejected. Again, Mr Anony did right. He just didn't know it. I think that my twin is very wary of impropriety and stumbles, that's probably why he accepts rebuke readily especially about actions he's not very clear about. In the instance here, his reaction was perfect.

As for you, my friend, I exhort you to abandon debating for its own sake.

Edited.
i doubt u will get my view even if i put them in simplier words, ofcourse we must preach in and out of season, we must emphasize the word again and again. But none of us is the holyspirit, one who delibrately closed is mind won't see the truth even if it is staring him in the face. At dat moment d preacher is wasting his time, prayer will help more than more words.
Besides am not afraid of been rejected as u seem to think, neither am i afraid of been made a fool. And lastly i dont debate just for the sake of debating.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Image123(m): 11:24am On Nov 06, 2012
others are also reading who may have honest doubts. The posts are for their sakes, and for a witness.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Ubenedictus(m): 12:22pm On Nov 06, 2012
Image123: others are also reading who may have honest doubts. The posts are for their sakes, and for a witness.
amen.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 9:19pm On Nov 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:
It depends on how you define "alive"

I haven't got much time to go in depth into scripture so I'll assume that you are quite conversant with it and just go ahead and shoot.

...As I said, it depends on how you define "alive". compare how in Genesis, God told Adam that the day he ate the fruit he would die, also consider how Jesus refers to sinners as dead i.e. "let the dead bury the dead". Next, consider that the state of being in the lake of fire is called the second death.

So what does the bible mean when it talks about death?

I'll suggest to you that death means separation. Physical death being the separation of the body and soul while spiritual death being separation from God. The second death is simply eternal separation from God, thrown out of the city of God into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Another thing I will implore you to do is to prayerfully read Ezekiel chapter 26, 27, and 28. and equally read Revelations chapters 19, 20, and 21. These should help you put those verses in context.

Cheers

i dont really understand your message in this post.

What are you saying with all this consider this and consider that?

You should state your understanding very clearly.

Are you saying all those scriptures are literal and they should all be taken literally?

Wow!

The message cant all be literal my friend.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 1:05pm On Nov 14, 2012
This is the descripton of the Judgment day and it events:

"And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years." (Revelation 20:4).

"And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works." (Revelation 20:12).

"With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness. Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD." (Isaiah 26:9-10).

"There shall be no more (dying as an infant) thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall die as a mere boy (Isaiah 65:20).

(After the judgment day those that refuse to follow what is written on the scrolls will die)
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Freksy(m): 12:46am On Nov 30, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Hmm ok, It seems to me that you are now deliberately trying to misunderstand my question but I'll give you the benefit of doubt one more time. . . . .

The issue we have before us is not the interpretation of the parable but the parable itself.

What is a parable? A parable is an analogous story used to explain a more complex phenomenon. It is usually a realistic story that the listener is conversant with and can easily relate to.

Jesus' parables are usually simple stories such as a sower sowing seed. This is a story that the Jews can easily relate to because they are familiar with it. The same applies for a son who leaves his father and squanders his money, a wedding feast e.t.c. All these are simple stories that the 1st century Jew can easily relate to because they are part of what he knows. Jesus then goes on to give a greater meaning to a very simple story by relating it to a much bigger picture i.e. God's kingdom.

Now this is the dilemma you face. You lot claim that the concept of conscious torment after death is alien to scripture and it doesn't even exist. The question now becomes: Why would Jesus use a story that does not exist i.e. a story that his audience cannot possibly even begin to relate to in order to explain a greater truth?

I still maintain that the Jews were very aware of the concept of conscious torment after death in the same way that they were very aware of the concept of a sower sowing seeds. It was a normal everyday understanding for them that evil people will suffer after death while the righteous will be comforted after death. . . . .and Jesus Christ obviously held the same.

In every argument, you can escape the truth if you pay a high enough price. For this one, the price would be to say that Christ didn't know what He was talking about. That's the steep price I'm afraid you will have to pay for you to properly deny torment of the sinner after physical death.
I truly hope that for your sakes, you are not comfortable paying this price.

The bolded shows you certainly do not know what a parable is.
You are asking about the existence of Jesus' story in his parable because of your literalism. Stories in parables are inherently probable or allegory or fictitious. Sometimes pictures of events and conditions painted in parables contain things that are literally impossible. The emphasis has never been on the literally aspect of those stories, but on their moral lessons.

If you insist parables are simply realistic stories - stories or conditions that really exist(ed), then answer the following questions:

1. Is hell literally within speaking distance of heaven so that a real conversation could be carried on between Abraham and Lazarus?

2. If the rich man were in a literal burning lake, how could Abraham send Lazarus to cool his tongue with just a drop of water on the tip of his finger?

The Jews, including Jesus, did not believe that evil people will suffer after death while the righteous will be comforted after death in heaven as you claim, otherwise, it would make no sense for the same people to beleive in the resurrection and subsequent judgement?

The resurrection of the deads has not yet occurred, the judgment day has not yet come, so is God presenly test-running the furnace of hell with those in it in preparation for the actual judgement? Or, would you say it's simply His hobby to first roast people on fire extrajudicially, thereafter He brings them back for judgement? No injustice and wickedness would surpass that!

"Jesus saith unto her , Thy brother shall rise again . Martha saith unto him , I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day ". - John 11:23-24.....Martha did not Hold the beleive that her brother has risen to heaven, but she knew he was sleeping in death and was unconscious in the grave. Like Job at Job 14:14-15, Martha beleived the deads will wait for God's call in time of resurrection at the last day.

Where was Lazarus after his death, in the grave or in heaven for bliss? If he had risen to heaven, why did Jesus and others cry over the dead of the man that was in great ecstasy in heaven?

If Lazarus had risen to heaven, wouldn't it have been wicked of Jesus to bring him from the blissful heaven down to a grief-ridden earth? Besides, Lazarus never mentioned any afterlife experience, why? Because he was unconscious, "For the living know that they shall die but the dead know not any thing..." Eccl. 9:5...Yes, the deads are unconscious, they turn to dust from which they came to be.

The dogma of hellfire and literalism of Jesus parables have done more harm than Good. It has caused many to amputate their hands and many to relapse to agnostism and atheism.
It has made a great number of churchgoers to worship God, not out of their love for Him, but out of fear of torment in an unquenchable fire.......SO SAD!

See what Jesus said about those that breed atheism and cause others to amputate their hands:

"And he said unto his disciples, It is impossible but that occasions of stumbling should come; but woe unto him, through whom they come!
It were well for him if a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, rather than that he should cause one of these little ones to stumble". - Luke 17:1-2 (ASV)

2 Likes

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 30, 2012
The files are been reopened?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 11:59am On Nov 30, 2012
Freksy:

The dogma of hellfire and literalism of Jesus parables have done more harm than Good. It has caused many to amputate their hands and many to relapse to agnostism and atheism.
It has made a great number of churchgoers to worship God, not out of their love for Him, but out of fear of torment in an unquenchable fire.......SO SAD!

the damage that this has done to the image of Yahweh is big.

It is actually satan that benefit from this doctrine since it drives away people from God and prevent others from saving God out of love.

Meanwhile Yahweh and Jesus christ want human to serve with love of God and not out of fear.

The greatest of the commandment is :

"you should love the lord your God with your whole heart, with your whole mind and with your whole strength"

^^^

how can that be possible when the threat of eternal torment in fire is hanging over once neck?

3 Likes

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 10:12am On Dec 10, 2012
"The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence." (Psalm 115:17).

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten." (Ecclesiastes 9:5).

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten." (Ecclesiastes 9:5).

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest." (Ecclesiastes 9:10).

"His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish." (Psalm 146:4).

"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." (Genesis 3:19).

This scriptures does not need human interpretaion.
consistencies
The truth of God's word
peace

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

I Am No Longer A Theist / RCCG 70th Annual Convention; Perfect Jubilee, August 8-14, 2022 / Leke Adeboye: Politicians Become Strong Church Members When Election Is Near

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.