Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,448 members, 7,836,784 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? (17857 Views)

Breaking News :keke Riders Protesting In Asaba (pic) / Disabled Men And Women Protesting In PH Now / Okada Riders Protesting In Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by JOXY(f): 12:09pm On Oct 22, 2012
gboss4sure: All this too much law is what will make PDP to win Lagos by 2015, Seems Fashola is paving way for them.
I beg to disagree with you sir, Lagosians are sensible people we know the right thing when we see it. Okada issue will not change our minds on who to vote for. Lagosisans will always prefer ACN in Lagos State because they have been tested and we trust them to always deliver.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 22, 2012
Okada should be banned totally and all Nigeriens deported, while Nigerians riders be sent on compulsory skill acquisition training.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Omen100(m): 12:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
jhydebaba: Tinubu is angry!!!
Fashola is vexing!!!
Okada Riders are destroying BRT!!!
ACN is losing south west!!!
I dey laugh!!!
Really, Lagos is working!!!

bros, ondo state was never an acn controlled state, them not winning ondo state governorship election doesn't mean that they are losing south west, after all, they won Edo state. sad
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by coogar: 12:16pm On Oct 22, 2012
okada should be banned in lagos - bikes have ruined the lives of many lagosians!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by takedat(m): 12:18pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

You know what I like about history? It will always repeat itself. This was the very same way Tunisian authorities were talking 2 years ago. Like arrogant, elitist nazis. Then a young man got frustrated and set himself ablaze. The rest is history! The day of reckoning is coming. You can keep talking your arrant nansense there like rascals! You think God is happy with you when you BURN and CRUSH the 100k worth okada of a poor and downtrodden family? Something that took him like 2 to 4 years to acquire? Your day is coming! Like I said before,

E NO GO BETTER FOR UNA! Blood sucking destroyers and callous minded nazis!
Why resort to a Crude manner just because I stated the obvious. You of all people who bemoan those who cast aspersions on GEJ that they should employ civility should not resort to this approach of yours. I'm disappointed in you, it only shows you as a two faced person.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by jude33084(m): 12:19pm On Oct 22, 2012
sheyie2007: Wait a minute! Is it by force you work in lagos? that state needs de-congestion abeg..if you want lasgidi government to achieve a mega city then this is a fantastic move.....quite unfortunate some people would have to go back to 'ijebu' grin

[size=15pt]KOLO[/size] grin
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by eherbal(m): 12:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
Why is it that the motor park touts,otherwise known as agbero were not chased off the roads like the okada riders?i tot there was a law restricting them too?the state govt is not fair in it's dealings.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by omosexy1: 12:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
pingo: I have no problem with the banning of Okada, but these issues must first be addressed:
1. Was any sort of alternative provided? - There are BRTs, Taxis (red, yellow, white, black), Commercial buses
2. What would the Okada riders feed on? - There are multiple jobs they can do - Catering, Plumbing, Farming, Electrician, Cleaners, Mechanics, Barbers, Factory workers, female hair dressing, tailoring e.t.c. There are so many skills they can acquire. Okada is an economic disease to our country and it is killing all other skill acquisition programs.
3. What happens to their beneficiaries? - Nothing will happen to them, if only the bread winner is willing to change skills, but if he is lazy or mentally poor of course they will go hungry and this is not Govt problem
4. Is there any sort of transportation from Ikoyi to VI if u are around Falomo or from shoprite to Adeola Odeku? (Exclusive of taxi, personal car) - You can use Taxi. They do not charge much (N500 - N1000)
5. Is there enough security to curb criminal activities that will erupt? (95% of Abokis on the insland are okada riders) - Oh this is the interesting part. If the abokis decide to perpetrate crime in Lagos. I don't think Hausa would want to come to Lagos again. Sure there is enough security personnel to curb the stupidity of poverty thinking individuals.

Answers pls!!!
You have your answers now

3 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 22, 2012
Its totally insane of any government official destroying the livelihood of its citizens! Why not impose fines?
I was shocked when i saw government officials on tv with a mammoth of bikes that cost probably between 80k - 100k totally destroyed. its just incredible....Truly ACN is working...grin
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 12:24pm On Oct 22, 2012
JOXY:
I beg to disagree with you sir, Lagosians are sensible people we know the right thing when we see it. Okada issue will not change our minds on who to vote for. Lagosisans will always prefer ACN in Lagos State because they have been tested and we trust them to always deliver.

Shebi you were there when PDP won lagos island and Badagry and Ikorodu only for them rigging ACN to annouce a different result at Alausa. Thank God the court overturned the Lagos Island case, a proof that the election was rigged by ACN! Shebi you were there when they chased away some ACN peeps from campaigning in some parts of Alimosho. Be day dreaming there. If you think people care about party now, you are on a delusional thing. Be practising your nazi laws, no problem!

The stup1d argument you peeps are making is laughable. The thousands of Okada being destroyed and crushed were not arrested on the express ways. Police and lastma were chasing okadas through inner city streets all of last week. There are very few okadas that run on express these days.

And for the Umpteenth time, stop crushing and burning their hard earned livelihood. What kind of evil draconian law is that?
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by jude33084(m): 12:26pm On Oct 22, 2012
gboss4sure: All this too much law is what will make PDP to win Lagos by 2015, Seems Fashola is paving way for them.

Adams destroyed hundreds of houses in Benin to pave way for reconstruction in Benin yet most of τhe Landlords affected still voted for him. I believe your soul will never allow your body to deny Ǧ☺☺ϑ things when available smiley

Ŧħåϯ doesn't mean I am insupport of τhe actions of Lagos state Government oh! Atlest there are other options to explore wink

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by wholexy009(m): 12:27pm On Oct 22, 2012
God bless jare
Iolo: It is only in Nigeria that people see the unlawful as lawful and go on to protest when a right thinking government decides to correct things.

Same thing happened to the Oshodi make-over and people were complaining then, but are praising the decision today.

Truth is that Okadas have no business plying state/inter-city routes. Taking a bike from Oshodi to Cele, or from Maryland to Ikorodu, or Yaba to Ojota is madness that should be nipped in the bud.

No bikes on expressways. That's what prevails in any sane society.

Someone should correct me if am wrong.

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by sino(m): 12:28pm On Oct 22, 2012
Nigerians(most) have been used to living below standard, and that is what is affecting some people's reasoning.

I live in lagos and i have experienced all thinkable ills of okada, name it, accident, robbery etc. But i still make use of them, cos, sometimes, i really dont have a choice, and i know the way they operate is sick!
Now, from my experiences, i make the following conclusions...
Those who ride along express routes and the likes, are mostly niger, chad citizens, hausas, igbos and yorubas who drench themselves in alomo bitters and other local gins+weed(they ride like crazy)...you hardly see a reasonable person plying these routes(even if they do, they are always cautious and careful)...

It is well known that most okada riders, do not follow traffic rules at all, you need to see them drag with cars and tankers, jump red lights and ride at breakneck speed.

some of these okada riders are artisans, why did they leave thier hand work to ride okada? Well, we should ask the federal government why. Electricity! Most of these artisans need steady supply of electricity and when they cant find any, they look for alternative jobs unfortunately, okada biz.

The lagos state govt, wanted an out right ban, but due to the public cries, their movement was restricted and now ban on some major roads...
1. If the lagos state govt was cruel and dictatorial like some people have suggested, why did they revert thier initial proposal for a ban?
2. Prior to this selective ban, the lagos state govt, carried the whole porpulace along, and there was adequate publicity.
3. Lagos govt wouldnt do anything to hurt her image if not that they have the interst of the people and lagos at heart(do you guys know the population of okada riders and what they constitute as per elections?).

I really dont know what some people want, for them to continue with the havoc they cause? or for we to have sanity back on our highways?

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by coogar: 12:28pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

And for the Umpteenth time, stop crushing and burning their hard earned livelihood. What kind of evil draconian law is that?

crushing is a standard procedure all over the world....
if the government don't crush the bikes, you would see them on our roads again!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by 2sign: 12:33pm On Oct 22, 2012
okadas were not banned everywhere but on xpres roads,which is good.dy're 2 rough and like takin 1way.dy shld enta d streets or oda places.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 12:33pm On Oct 22, 2012
take dat: Why resort to a Crude manner just because I stated the obvious. You of all people who bemoan those who cast aspersions on GEJ that they should employ civility should not resort to this approach of yours. I'm disappointed in you, it only shows you as a two faced person.

Look my friend, we can argue on so many issues and differ, but on this matter, I am ready to fight you hands down!!! GEJ will never order the destruction of people's Okada and if you cannot see the callousness and wickedness in that, then something is wrong with you emotionally. Give them back their Okada! Give them back their 4 years savings!! Give them back their biggest family investment!!! Like I said before, I don't mind some level of ban on them. What irked me last week was when I saw the way they were crushing and burning these Okadas. My stomanch turned over. The last person I can remember that did that kind of stuff to the poor was king Louis of france, the man in the iron mask. It is totally insane!!! No defense for it!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 22, 2012
Lagos roads are terrible, so bad. I wonder who is deceiving fashola about lagos being megacity. Okada is the better way to navigate the bad roads. Can't cite instances of bad roads, from jakande gate, oke afa, to mushin bus stop, okota road, amuwo, ikorodu road, isheri bucknor igando road, oshodi inner streets, ebute metta. Just name it. And u expect a busy executive to sit in traffic caused by these bad roads? Lagos road socks
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 22, 2012
There are some okada riders on this thread yarning dust...SMH lipsrsealed
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Niiade(m): 12:41pm On Oct 22, 2012
Around Ile Zik this morning, before policemen came and they started running away. they broke the screen of the blue bus before running away

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 22, 2012
valacious: Lagos roads are terrible, so bad. I wonder who is deceiving fashola about lagos being megacity. Okada is the better way to navigate the bad roads. Can't cite instances of bad roads, from jakande gate, oke afa, to mushin bus stop, okota road, amuwo, ikorodu road, isheri bucknor igando road, oshodi inner streets, ebute metta. Just name it. And u expect a busy executive to sit in traffic caused by these bad roads? Lagos road socks

You're the reason why Nigeria is backward..
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by amaba: 12:42pm On Oct 22, 2012
sheyie2007: Wait a minute! Is it by force you work in lagos? that state needs de-congestion abeg..if you want lasgidi government to achieve a mega city then this is a fantastic move.....quite unfortunate some people would have to go back to 'ijebu' grin
megacity indeed. the 3rd worst city to leave in the world
Lagos is a megaslum
banning okada 4rm major roads and bridges is not our problem.
Who will ban the junks they call BRT?
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 12:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
jude33084:

Adams destroyed hundreds of houses in Benin to pave way for reconstruction in Benin yet most of τhe Landlords affected still voted for him. I believe your soul will never allow your body to deny Ǧ☺☺ϑ things when available smiley

This is a shameful and ignorant comment. Did they not compensate the Landlords? How is that the same thing with an Okada man loosing his Okada along with cost of buying it and the years he tool him to acquire it? Do you know some of them took loans to buy those okada? What nonsense are you saying?
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by takedat(m): 12:44pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

Look my friend, we can argue on so many issues and differ, but on this matter, I am ready to fight you hands down!!! GEJ will never order the destruction of people's Okada and if you cannot see the callousness and wickedness in that, then something is wrong with you emotionally. Give them back their Okada! Give them back their 4 years savings!! Give them back their biggest family investment!!! Like I said before, I don't mind some level of ban on them. What irked me last week was when I saw the way they were crushing and burning these Okadas. My stomanch turned over. The last person I can remember that did that kind of stuff to the poor was king Louis of france, the man in the iron mask. It is totally insane!!! No defense for it!
Guy I feel for those riders but they had been forewarned before now and a deadline was given to them. They chose to ignore the Government at their own peril. Customs, SON seize contraband items which may be beneficial to others but the common norm is to burn them.

Since you know GEJ why not tell him to allow Okada in the Abuja metropolis or you want to claim that Okadas are allowed to ply the Abuja metropolis. Guy stop this unnecessary propaganda cos you are not winning this one.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by amaba: 12:44pm On Oct 22, 2012
Omen100:

bros, ondo state was never an acn controlled state, them not winning ondo state governorship election doesn't mean that they are losing south west, after all, they won Edo state. sad
Yes. u may r correct. But Tinubu did everything possible to win Ondo but fail woefully. Imagine PDP coming 2nd.
D era of ACN has ended.
4 ur info, Tinubu lost his LGA where he is leaving to PDP. that is a sign of the end of ACN
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by laksides: 12:49pm On Oct 22, 2012
I just got some information now that after this tenure fashola want to de-camp, that is why he is trying to terminate can so that people will not vote 4 dem in the future. He's tired living under tinubu
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by mustspin: 12:50pm On Oct 22, 2012
nigerians and their emotions, all i hear is Okada being the means of livelihood of the riders. i think everybody knows that and it is very obvious. these okada riders are responsible for the death of some breadwinners, legs are being broken and skull being smashed on the highways daily. stay off the highways and trunk 'B' roads. how does this portray the government as being wicked? afterall the use of Okada had been banned in Abuja for a long time and people didnt die of hunger. i only think the okada riders are only been self-centered and foolish (LAZY PEOPLE)

If we truly want progress, then we need to be ready to make sacrifices like this.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by amaba: 12:50pm On Oct 22, 2012
wholexy009: God bless jare
A sane society and govt should provide job opportuniuties, infrastructures for people.
A sane govt should not split d already congested roads into 3 and leaving a dedicated lane to junk public trans system (BRT).
A sane govt should not collec tax and still collect tolls
A sane govt should not criminalize traffic offence and make fines higher that minimum wage.
A sane govt should leave the management of transport system and traffic management to touts
A sane govt should provide enough enlighment campaing, traffic signs to citizens
A sane govt should not develop only the business section (VI, Lekki, Ikoyi) of the state and ignore the other parts

3 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 12:50pm On Oct 22, 2012
coogar:

crushing is a standard procedure all over the world....
if the government don't crush the bikes, you would see them on our roads again!

You are an eediotic egghead! So according to your logic, the governments of Europe and America should start to repatriate every Nigerian, asian, Mexican and Jaimacan they find on the streets so that they will not migrate there again! See your skewed logic. Some of you aint ready for civilization. You are far from being progressive. You think like the simpsons!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by udemzyudex(m): 12:53pm On Oct 22, 2012
Wizeboy:

Please, lets get this right.... OKADA is not ban in Lagos BUT were only restricted for some roads and area which I totally support and agree with Government 100 percent. Expressway and Bridges are NOT safe for Okada riders to be plying, I have seen so Okada accident on Expressway so many times, which is always fatal especially on Ikorodu Road.

Before when they said Okada riders are many in Igbobi Hospital, I always think is an exaggeration until last year when one of my friend had an accident and I have to visit Igbobi Hospital.

One of the Government main responsibility is protecting the life(s) and properties of citizens of the State and I believe with the ban of Okada on Expressway, they are really doing that.
Mtcheeew,so cars don't have accident?
If lagos state is not banning okada,then why are they destroying the okada they seize?

Lagos state has the highest population in Nigeria,he should think about that.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by pheemmii(m): 12:53pm On Oct 22, 2012
Okada was nt banned in Lagos... Check for more info, tanx.
k00lxpert:

oga acid, stop talking as if u dont know what d country is saying... perhaps, u'll feed the banned okada riders & their families abi? as if u can feed more than ur own family. see, any one dat knows hw to advice fashola shud do dat fast...if he's confused, then he shud honorably resign his post, abi na him papa testate inheritance? whats all dis sef cant he think of a better solution as a leader to help the security, accident and megacity issues in lagos? men are not smiling ooooo abeg!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by coogar: 12:55pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:
You are an eediotic egghead! So according to your logic, the governments of Europe and America should start to repatriate every Nigerian, asian, Mexican and Jaimacan they find on the streets so that they will not migrate there again! See your skewed logic. Some of you aint ready for civilization. You are far from being progressive. You think like the simpsons!

when intelligence was being distributed by your creator, you were on a leave of absence..
you are so poor in spirit, you have the brain capacity of a slug.....look at this homoerotic neophyte comparing deportation to crushing motor-bikes that are deemed dangerous on lagos roads. were you born feet first? did you lack proteins as a child? did you ever fall head first as a toddler thus leaving your cerebellum and your thalamus swapping positions?

you are a disgrace to the community that sponsored your education! oloshious fellow!

2 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by holajhdeee(m): 12:56pm On Oct 22, 2012
Heard that Governor Fashola is bringing club affilation into his administration by stylishly rendering 80percent of chelsea fan jobless as heissues ban on Okada! undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

why yoruba are poor.17yrs mass stravation by biafra obasanjom/jonathan if yoruba / Fatai Owoseni Visits Scene Of Isheri North Kidnapping / Troops Rescue Three FGC Yauri Students & One Teacher; Kill One Bandit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.