Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,150 members, 7,829,111 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? (17850 Views)

Breaking News :keke Riders Protesting In Asaba (pic) / Disabled Men And Women Protesting In PH Now / Okada Riders Protesting In Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 22, 2012
All this too much law is what will make PDP to win Lagos by 2015, Seems Fashola is paving way for them.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by 2sexy(m): 11:37am On Oct 22, 2012
passionate88: prepared ke?.. Ok o make we wait, watch and see
leave that guy. Na him house go b d 1robbery point!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:39am On Oct 22, 2012
freebloke:
bros, since u no dey lagos na leave people wey dey lagos with dia issues... Abi u wan drink melecine 4 anoda peson hed-ake?
the guy is one of my critically demented patients, for sneakin online to yarn dust, i will giv him overdose that will send him straight to his forefathers.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Tafugo: 11:40am On Oct 22, 2012
Okada no be work, and is a sign of failure of the system.Come to Apapa where I live and you will see the menace of Okada first hand.Plus 80% of this guys are not even Nigerians but the Boko Haram type from Niger republic/Maiduguri axis.The earlier the better anybody who doesn't like it can leave Lagos and take them to their Village with him. Lol
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by takedat(m): 11:40am On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

You and your fellow elitists are hypocrites! So you think everyone just came to lagos abi? People have been living here for up to 3 or 4 generations. I am sure you just came in from Ekiti like 5 years ago and you are talking urban migration. What do you know about migration. For your information, a majority of those who migrate to Lagos are relatives and dependants of those who already live here. People came here because it was the federal capital of Nigeria for decades. If Akwa Ibom or Jos was the capital for the same period, people will still have migrated there. Stop spewing this your Alausa elitist crap! And for the umpteenth time, stop destroying their Okadas. Give it back to them. Nazis!!!
I'll ignore the Ekiti part cos that is a figment of your imagination.

For those who migrated to Lagos because it was the federal capital, guess what? Abuja is now the FCT so they can move their Okada business there and let's see if the FCT. Authority will condone the recklessness and the unruly behaviour associated with Lagos Okada riders.

3 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 22, 2012
Strict law is what nigerians need...many behave like goats...and it has been engraved in their medulla...I think we need a coup in Nigeria to solve our problems...
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 22, 2012
Most okada men: children: 10
Most rich men: children: 4
Logic?
Fashola: learned
Okada man: illiterate
Logic?
Okada ban from 8pm: logical
No okada at all: illogical

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Iolo(m): 11:44am On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

Dude, I don't think you live in naija. There is probably around a police to citizens ratio of 1 to 1000 people in Lagos. In the last 2 years, there has been an increase in arm robbery attacks in residential estates in Lagos.

The one big mistake Fashola is making is that he thinks people will return to their villages or something like that. The guy is deluded and cut off from reality. These peeps are going no where and will only because security risks to the state.

Increase in robberies in which estates and areas exactly? Don't give us half truths as facts.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 22, 2012
Jenams: the guy is one of my critically demented patients, for sneakin online to yarn dust, i will giv him overdose that will send him straight to his forefathers.
pls do that ASAP,so that we will have one less psychiatric patient to worry about.

His comment shows he's a frustrated fellow,looking for partners in the okada people.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by oladayo: 11:44am On Oct 22, 2012
Why are people getting it wrong......okada was only banned on major highways and trunk b roads cos of the death rate..........it's for our safety .....by the ways okada will still work but within a limited and stringent environment......
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by babaowo: 11:44am On Oct 22, 2012
people should start planing how to go back to village and back to farming instead of killing themselves everyday because they want to ride motorcycle for living,if anyone here have witness okada accident or bad operation using it for? you will not want to see them around.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by mcevans1(m): 11:45am On Oct 22, 2012
Jenams: OMG! wat r u doin online u dis psychiatric patient in my clinic? what r u doin in the city u mor.on? are u nt fit for d same agricultural sector? how u take beta pass those wey dey village wit dis kind brain wey u carry? asnwer me! SHOUTS ANGRILY, answer me now b4 i giv u injection wey go kill u!

Abeg Kill Am!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by hotncold1(m): 11:45am On Oct 22, 2012
texazzpete: Hallmarks of a lazy Government.

You haven't solved the terrible traffic gridlocks that keep folks on the road for hours...making Okada a much faster means of transport for short distances. You haven't adequately exploited rail and water transport schemes to get more folks off the congested roads. You haven't taken a critical look at the numbers of folks plying Okadas and estimated how many thousands of cars and buses would enter the roads to offset this number (thereby increasing congestion). You haven't asked yourself how the tens of thousands of Okada riders are supposed to find work now with their means of livelihood gone.

And you want to remove Okadas.

The bigger cretins are the elitist, narrow minded and myopic Lagos motorists who support a proposed ban. These m0r0ns don't realize that the inconvenience of seeing these admittedly pesky Okadas is nothing compared to the massive increase in traffic from the increased number of buses, keke and cabs to cater for the Okada riding crowd.
God bless you.My other grouse with Fashola is for not providing a list of NO GO AREA for the okada riders.The police and LASTMA officials have practically left their desgninated duties all in a bid to make quick cash for themselves.(Sigh)Oh well!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Jogba(m): 11:47am On Oct 22, 2012
More vaseline 2 ur elbows pals......i pity d fashi-ola ynsh grin
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by OmoTier1(m): 11:51am On Oct 22, 2012
texazzpete: Hallmarks of a lazy Government.

You haven't solved the terrible traffic gridlocks that keep folks on the road for hours...making Okada a much faster means of transport for short distances. You haven't adequately exploited rail and water transport schemes to get more folks off the congested roads. You haven't taken a critical look at the numbers of folks plying Okadas and estimated how many thousands of cars and buses would enter the roads to offset this number (thereby increasing congestion). You haven't asked yourself how the tens of thousands of Okada riders are supposed to find work now with their means of livelihood gone.

And you want to remove Okadas.

The bigger cretins are the elitist, narrow minded and myopic Lagos motorists who support a proposed ban. These m0r0ns don't realize that the inconvenience of seeing these admittedly pesky Okadas is nothing compared to the massive increase in traffic from the increased number of buses, keke and cabs to cater for the Okada riding crowd.
Absolute trash! Lagos State government has done much of what is required to get these people behave orderly but they have refused! I am sorry if your family members are Okada riders in Lagos, but we can not because of the sake of the minute minority allow lawlessness to reign. Enough is Enough, Okada must go!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by bestower: 11:51am On Oct 22, 2012
The circumstances that surround the ban of okada in lagos has really slow down few business transactions in the state nd moreover the govt also needs to create a tougher punishments, law,or find alternative way to deal with them rather than to ban it permanently.albeit,am not in full support of this so called reckless riders but we should consider that they ve family and needs to fend for their immediate family.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by jmaine: 11:52am On Oct 22, 2012
Iolo:

Increase in robberies in which estates and areas exactly? Don't give us half truths as facts.

He is very correct Sir . . .
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 22, 2012
I disagree with you,why not take other measures to safeguard lives than the draconic laws. Such laws. Has only increased
Craziness of the relevant authority to enforce it. Imagine a policeman demanding 20k as bribe from an okada rider to bail a seized bike.
Wizeboy:

Fashola might be going wrong on other issues in Lagos State... but I think he really get this right. Since one of the responsibilities why we elect him there is to SAFE-GUARD the life(s) and properties of the people of Lagos State.

There is no country of the world (been USA, England, Russia or any other developed countries) that does not experience traffic on their major road, so its not peculiar to either Lagos or Africa alone. And traffic is not always caused by bad roads alone as those other developed countries hardly have bad roads.

Banning them of Expressway is to protect the life of the riders and people riding it, we cant continue loosing some many life on a daily basis again.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by sizzlinghottie: 11:53am On Oct 22, 2012
DAY11.:

Thats the meaning of PROGRESS, remember that not everyone will have the capacity to enjoy the onset of a progress. Making a mega city all diz thing must go, I feel for them sah!..But Okada must go!
I agree on progress but what plan has been put in place to support this people? What jobs hve been created? Graduate no see job na okada man lol. Expect crime rate in lagos to increase if not is done to cushion this.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by chidonzone(m): 11:54am On Oct 22, 2012
Govt. should always weigh their decisions.nobody can assume the summary intelligent of the people.you dont just sit down and make laws without it going through public debate,well thats d flaws of not having oppositions in d house of assembly which leads to automatic signing of bills into laws.What has the Govt. Provide to cushion the effect of those such decision will retrench.You dont take a mans bike(okada),his only source of livelihood and expect him to take it with equanimity.The Govt. Should be ready for the consequences.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by global07(m): 11:55am On Oct 22, 2012
Banning okada from operating because of crime fine. Do criminals not use cars or speed boat.
Fashola well you are been driving to and from work every day, you do not know the pains of sitting in hold up for hours or getting to work late and get quarried.
I do not know who adviced you on this issuse but it has more harm than good.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by mavinc4u(f): 11:56am On Oct 22, 2012
My question is should okada be banned or should keke be banned?
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Iolo(m): 11:56am On Oct 22, 2012
It is only in Nigeria that people see the unlawful as lawful and go on to protest when a right thinking government decides to correct things.

Same thing happened to the Oshodi make-over and people were complaining then, but are praising the decision today.

Truth is that Okadas have no business plying state/inter-city routes. Taking a bike from Oshodi to Cele, or from Maryland to Ikorodu, or Yaba to Ojota is madness that should be nipped in the bud.

No bikes on expressways. That's what prevails in any sane society.

Someone should correct me if am wrong.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by jidemojola(m): 11:58am On Oct 22, 2012
I don't av problem wt d ban of okada on highways but wt d impact of d security risk it wuld pose to d life and properties of lagosians.
I want pple to knw dat there is no genuine transformation that wuld nt inflict pain on some sectors of d economy,which in d long run will ease off and bring positive development.
Govt shuld xtend an olive branch to d okada riders in form of a succor to d pain d ban will inflict on their welfare.Employing them to work on farms is not a bad idea.All they want is something to keep body and soul alive.
Pls don't ignore d negative effect dis ban may av on d security of life and property of lagosians.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by jidemojola(m): 11:58am On Oct 22, 2012
Okada riding is gradually being infiltrated by foreigners from Niger and it pose dire security risk to d well bein of dis state.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 22, 2012
acidtalk: There are certainly Pros and Cons in this Okada of a thing.
But The Cons out weighs the Pros in multitudes.

A friend just called me up that men on motorbike attacked his church member in surulere yesterday and even shot her.

There was an armed robbery incident by the Goodnews baptist church on Olufemi street, off Ogunlana drive Surulere yesterday. If the ban is true then i cant understand the rationale for such cos it will only breeds more miscreants and crime.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thekingsreturn(m): 11:59am On Oct 22, 2012
Kabikala: Lagos State did not ban Okada. They only limited their areas and times of operation which makes sense in a city like Lagos. You only need to visit an Orthopaedic Ward in major Nigerian cities to know the number of lives that have been ruined by Okada. I support Lagos State in stopping Okada riders from plying major roads and operating at night.
the life of every citizen lie in the hand of God and Government, this so call okada people have lost many lives which government want to reduce the accident rate of this so call okada people.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 12:02pm On Oct 22, 2012
take dat: I'll ignore the Ekiti part cos that is a figment of your imagination.

For those who migrated to Lagos because it was the federal capital, guess what? Abuja is now the FCT so they can move their Okada business there and let's see if the FCT. Authority will condone the recklessness and the unruly behaviour associated with Lagos Okada riders.

You know what I like about history? It will always repeat itself. This was the very same way Tunisian authorities were talking 2 years ago. Like arrogant, elitist nazis. Then a young man got frustrated and set himself ablaze. The rest is history! The day of reckoning is coming. You can keep talking your arrant nansense there like rascals! You think God is happy with you when you BURN and CRUSH the 100k worth okada of a poor and downtrodden family? Something that took him like 2 to 4 years to acquire? Your day is coming! Like I said before,

E NO GO BETTER FOR UNA! Blood sucking destroyers and callous minded nazis!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 22, 2012
Iolo: It is only in Nigeria that people see the unlawful as lawful and go on to protest when a right thinking government decides to correct things.

Same thing happened to the Oshodi make-over and people were complaining then, but are praising the decision today.

Truth is that Okadas have no business plying state/inter-city routes. Taking a bike from Oshodi to Cele, or from Maryland to Ikorodu, or Yaba to Ojota is madness that should be nipped in the bud.

No bikes on expressways. That's what prevails in any sane society.

Someone should correct me if am wrong.

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Omen100(m): 12:08pm On Oct 22, 2012
success4: Naialand comments replete with S.E.N.T.I.M.E.N.T...
Restriction is NOT equal to Ban na! wink

sentiment like you have said has beclouded our better judgement, yesterday we are clamoring for change & a drastic decision was taken to effect the change we have sought for & here we are, crying foul, 90percent of these okada riders know nothing about the safety regulation, making life so meaningless.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by 360command: 12:09pm On Oct 22, 2012
any Okada rider that wants to ride bike in Lagos should go to Cotonou. When Okada riding business is banned for good in Lagos, then our govt can see clearly by encouraging public/private parnership in the transportation sector. There will be massive improvement in the water, rail and land transportation to convey people from one city to another within Lagos and from there, other states will emulate what Lagos has done. Okada is good, but we must understand that people can do without Okada.The US is 3X bigger than Nigeria, but they dont use OKADA.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by takedat(m): 12:09pm On Oct 22, 2012
sizzlinghottie: I agree on progress but what plan has been put in place to support this people? What jobs hve been created? Graduate no see job na okada man lol. Expect crime rate in lagos to increase if not is done to cushion this.
Should Fashola be solely held responsible for the unemployment rate in Nigeria. Indigenes of other states all reside in Lagos while their state governors remain aloof about their welfare. If their respective State governors had provided for them there will be no need for them to relocate to Lagos and start okada business. Should Fashola bear the burden of the remaining 35 state governors and GEJ to provide employment for the teeming thousands who relocate to Lagos daily.

There are over 20million unemployed youths in Nigeria who have not resorted to Okada riding but are trying to make a living for themselves.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NURTW Threatens To Join Strike, Transport To Be Grounded / Shola Gabriel Vows To Mobilise 10million Youths Into APC, Seeks National Office / 2023: I Won’t Be Regional President, Buhari Has Killed Nigeria – Bala Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.