Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,059 members, 7,814,645 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? (17841 Views)

Breaking News :keke Riders Protesting In Asaba (pic) / Disabled Men And Women Protesting In PH Now / Okada Riders Protesting In Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by mukina2: 10:19am On Oct 22, 2012
TRAFFICBUTTER ‏@trafficbutter

9:27am #Info via @adetura: Violence erupting @Mushin-Olosha due to Okada ban. They just vandalised a BRT bus and marching onwards

https://twitter.com/trafficbutter/status/260296723874840577

Gidi Traffic ‏@Gidi_Traffic

#CAUTION @Austynzogs: @Gidi_Traffic 09h27: OKADA riders protesting at FADEYI/ONIPANU bus stop area #IKORODURD
https://twitter.com/Gidi_Traffic/status/260296495348215808

Bukky Olusoga ‏@Olu_Kenzoo

Okada Riders destroying BRT buses on Ikorodu road......Stay Safe people!!
https://twitter.com/Olu_Kenzoo/status/260303436615139328

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by CLIQBOY(m): 10:22am On Oct 22, 2012
mukina2:

https://twitter.com/trafficbutter/status/260296723874840577
when fashola start naw..ppl go dey complain..che na only lagos ban okada..what about imo,bayelsa and others?
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Afam4eva(m): 10:29am On Oct 22, 2012
I knew that there's no way these Okada riders will sit and watch their only source of livelihood being denied them. Go to police stations and Alausa and see how okada riders and their families are begging for their okadas to be released. Thousands of okadas have been seized and set ablaze by authorities.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 22, 2012
why ban okada in a city like lagos? dnt compare lagos to bayelsa pls! and the timing is very very wrong too. when all man wan hustle for december jollimentation! fashola stand well oh! this is one too many laws comin from u recetly n lagosians cnt deal wit dat

4 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Leboska(m): 10:32am On Oct 22, 2012
city like lagos baning okada will be the effect will be catastrophic. B4 doing that he try 2 cushion the pain.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by acidtalk: 10:34am On Oct 22, 2012
There are certainly Pros and Cons in this Okada of a thing.
But The Cons out weighs the Pros in multitudes.

A friend just called me up that men on motorbike attacked his church member in surulere yesterday and even shot her.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by sizzlinghottie: 10:36am On Oct 22, 2012
afam4eva: I knew that there's no way these Okada riders will sit and watch their only source of livelihood being denied them. Go to police stations and Alausa and see how okada riders and their families are begging for their okadas to be released. Thousands of okadas have been seized and set ablaze by authorities.
its really not fair,if you're gonn tke their only source of living provide them with other options, lagos cannot be compared to these other states,d demand for okada in lagos is very high. Fashola is making a mistake,now crime rate in lagos will be doubled if not tripled.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 22, 2012
Crime rate? I think the dude is prepared for that...
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by safarigirl(f): 10:39am On Oct 22, 2012
If you're going to take away a man's only source of livelihood, you might as well provide a back-up, some of these men have family, nuclear and extended, to feed....provide funds, give them keke napeps, provide free education for their kids, do something! But don't leave them lurking in the dark, it's cruel to take away one of the few things that makes a man what he is without leaving him an alternative, you can't just sh*t on the dude and expect him to do nothing.

5 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by passionate88: 10:41am On Oct 22, 2012
sheyie2007: Crime rate? I think the dude is prepared for that...
prepared ke?.. Ok o make we wait, watch and see
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:41am On Oct 22, 2012
Fasola is nothing but a dictator,more reason I hate governors running second terms.

Why must you ban okada,when there are no basic amenities in place..

What do you want the people to do,when you are depriving them of their daily bread.

One of the major reason people take okada is due to traffic jam,which in most part of Lagos is caused by bad road,why can't you repair the road,which will ensure free flow of traffic,then arrest any defaulter.

Is it only okada that causes accident,everyday we hear of motor accident,why didnt you ban motor too?

For every Action,there must be an Equal,and opposite Reaction.

A word is enough for the Wise.

4 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by DAY12(m): 10:42am On Oct 22, 2012
sizzlinghottie: its really not fair,if you're gonn tke their only source of living provide them with other options, lagos cannot be compared to these other states,d demand for okada in lagos is very high. Fashola is making a mistake,now crime rate in lagos will be doubled if not tripled.

Thats the meaning of PROGRESS, remember that not everyone will have the capacity to enjoy the onset of a progress. Making a mega city all diz thing must go, I feel for them sah!..But Okada must go!

5 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Suntemi(m): 10:42am On Oct 22, 2012
acidtalk: There are certainly Pros and Cons in this Okada of a thing.

A friend just called me up that men on motorbike attacked his church member in surulere yesterday and even shot her.

Last year, those that robbed a filling station near me were in a car. Does that means cars should be banned?

4 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by MaxMoney(m): 10:42am On Oct 22, 2012
Why na? Why ban Okada in Lagos? This year December go hard for lagos o...
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Kabikala(m): 10:43am On Oct 22, 2012
Lagos State did not ban Okada. They only limited their areas and times of operation which makes sense in a city like Lagos. You only need to visit an Orthopaedic Ward in major Nigerian cities to know the number of lives that have been ruined by Okada. I support Lagos State in stopping Okada riders from plying major roads and operating at night.

13 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by ayee001: 10:44am On Oct 22, 2012
Let them stay there until police and Mopol come around. Each of them will use more than 20k for bail, then the bike will be gone for good.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Wizeboy(m): 10:44am On Oct 22, 2012
Jenams: why ban okada in a city like lagos? dnt compare lagos to bayelsa pls! and the timing is very very wrong too. when all man wan hustle for december jollimentation! fashola stand well oh

Please, lets get this right.... OKADA is not ban in Lagos BUT were only restricted for some roads and area which I totally support and agree with Government 100 percent. Expressway and Bridges are NOT safe for Okada riders to be plying, I have seen so Okada accident on Expressway so many times, which is always fatal especially on Ikorodu Road.

Before when they said Okada riders are many in Igbobi Hospital, I always think is an exaggeration until last year when one of my friend had an accident and I have to visit Igbobi Hospital.

One of the Government main responsibility is protecting the life(s) and properties of citizens of the State and I believe with the ban of Okada on Expressway, they are really doing that.

7 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by k00lxpert(m): 10:45am On Oct 22, 2012

oga acid, stop talking as if u dont know what d country is saying... perhaps, u'll feed the banned okada riders & their families abi? as if u can feed more than ur own family. see, any one dat knows hw to advice fashola shud do dat fast...if he's confused, then he shud honorably resign his post, abi na him papa testate inheritance? whats all dis sef cant he think of a better solution as a leader to help the security, accident and megacity issues in lagos? men are not smiling ooooo abeg!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by jamil2(m): 10:46am On Oct 22, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Good Move
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 10:46am On Oct 22, 2012
CLIQBOY: when fashola start naw..ppl go dey complain..che na only lagos ban okada..what about imo,bayelsa and others?

In which other state do you see them destroying their Okadas? I don't really mind placing some level of ban on Okada but why go on a destructive streak and start crushing the Okadas? Do you know how long it took a man to raise the 100k or more to buy the Okada? And you just wake up like hitler and crush it to bits! Evil and callous souls!

6 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by texazzpete(m): 10:47am On Oct 22, 2012
Hallmarks of a lazy Government.

You haven't solved the terrible traffic gridlocks that keep folks on the road for hours...making Okada a much faster means of transport for short distances. You haven't adequately exploited rail and water transport schemes to get more folks off the congested roads. You haven't taken a critical look at the numbers of folks plying Okadas and estimated how many thousands of cars and buses would enter the roads to offset this number (thereby increasing congestion). You haven't asked yourself how the tens of thousands of Okada riders are supposed to find work now with their means of livelihood gone.

And you want to remove Okadas.

The bigger cretins are the elitist, narrow minded and myopic Lagos motorists who support a proposed ban. These m0r0ns don't realize that the inconvenience of seeing these admittedly pesky Okadas is nothing compared to the massive increase in traffic from the increased number of buses, keke and cabs to cater for the Okada riding crowd.

16 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nuzo1(m): 10:47am On Oct 22, 2012

Was this the reason for the ban?
Is he also going to ban cars cos people equally use them to attack and shoot people in Lagos?

Not for or against the ban until we are fully enlightened on the reasons, pros and cons for the ban.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by pingo(m): 10:48am On Oct 22, 2012
I have no problem with the banning of Okada, but these issues must first be addressed:
1. Was any sort of alternative provided?
2. What would the Okada riders feed on?
3. What happens to their beneficiaries?
4. Is there any sort of transportation from Ikoyi to VI if u are around Falomo or from shoprite to Adeola Odeku? (Exclusive of taxi, personal car
5. Is there enough security to curb criminal activities that will erupt? (95% of Abokis on the insland are okada riders

Answers pls!!!

5 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:49am On Oct 22, 2012
mtcheeeeew
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by texazzpete(m): 10:49am On Oct 22, 2012

We should also ban Danfos and Molues because of 'one chance'
Also ban cars because robbers use cars too.

Abi?

Why not ban Governors since we've seen Governors prosecuted for theft in the past?

Nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 22, 2012
Wait a minute! Is it by force you work in lagos? that state needs de-congestion abeg..if you want lasgidi government to achieve a mega city then this is a fantastic move.....quite unfortunate some people would have to go back to 'ijebu' grin

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Afam4eva(m): 10:51am On Oct 22, 2012

If we follow this logic then we'll ban almost everything in sight including Human beings. If Okadas are being used to perpetuate crime, then it's the job of the government to seek a way to curb the menace rather than banning it outright.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by texazzpete(m): 10:53am On Oct 22, 2012
sheyie2007: Wait a minute! Is it by force you work in lagos? that state needs de-congestion abeg..if you want lasgidi government to achieve a mega city then this is a fantastic move.....quite unfortunate some people would have to go back to 'ijebu' grin

Some people actually LIVE in Lagos...some have lived there for decades. Why can't Lagos State achieve the 'mega city' status by building fast rail, improving power and tapping the largely untapped water transport route? M0r0n.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Wizeboy(m): 10:53am On Oct 22, 2012
Yomieluv: Fasola is nothing but a dictator,more reason I hate governors running second terms.

Why must you ban okada,when there are no basic amenities in place..

What do you want the people to do,when you are depriving them of their daily bread.

One of the major reason people take okada is due to traffic jam,which in most part of Lagos is caused by bad road,why can't you repair the road,which will ensure free flow of traffic,then arrest any defaulter.

Is it only okada that causes accident,everyday we hear of motor accident,why didnt you ban motor too?

For every Action,there must be an Equal,and opposite Reaction.

A word is enough for the Wise.

Fashola might be going wrong on other issues in Lagos State... but I think he really get this right. Since one of the responsibilities why we elect him there is to SAFE-GUARD the life(s) and properties of the people of Lagos State.

There is no country of the world (been USA, England, Russia or any other developed countries) that does not experience traffic on their major road, so its not peculiar to either Lagos or Africa alone. And traffic is not always caused by bad roads alone as those other developed countries hardly have bad roads.

Banning them of Expressway is to protect the life of the riders and people riding it, we cant continue loosing some many life on a daily basis again.

3 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 10:54am On Oct 22, 2012
sheyie2007: Crime rate? I think the dude is prepared for that...

Dude, I don't think you live in naija. There is probably around a police to citizens ratio of 1 to 1000 people in Lagos. In the last 2 years, there has been an increase in arm robbery attacks in residential estates in Lagos.

The one big mistake Fashola is making is that he thinks people will return to their villages or something like that. The guy is deluded and cut off from reality. These peeps are going no where and will only because security risks to the state.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by 234GT(m): 10:54am On Oct 22, 2012
Lagos spring in the making.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 22, 2012
k00lxpert:

oga acid, stop talking as if u dont know what d country is saying... perhaps, u'll feed the banned okada riders & their families abi? as if u can feed more than ur own family. see, any one dat knows hw to advice fashola shud do dat fast...if he's confused, then he shud honorably resign his post, abi na him papa testate inheritance? whats all dis angry sef cant he think of a better solution as a leader to help the security, accident and megacity issues in lagos? men are not smiling ooooo abeg!
you're the one impeding the progress of Nigeria! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

El-rufai Announces Autonomy For Local Councils, Swears-in Sole Administrators / Atiku's Running Mate: Why South-East Should Not Let Go By Law Mefor / Imo: Six Killed As DSS, EbubeAgu Raid Orlu LGA In Search Of Criminals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.