Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,432 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? (17855 Views)

Breaking News :keke Riders Protesting In Asaba (pic) / Disabled Men And Women Protesting In PH Now / Okada Riders Protesting In Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by femionasan(m): 1:55pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

Which one is your problem, is it reading or comprehension?

I will give you the benefit of doubt. Go back and read my posts carefully and when you are done, come back here and read this:

STOP CRUSHING AND BURNING THEIR OKADA! - OBEY THE LAW

STOP CRUSHING AND BURNING THEIR LIFE INVESTMENTS!! - OBEY THE LAW

STOP CRUSHING AND BURNING THEIR YEARS OF STRUGGLE!!! - OBEY THE LAW

Stop being wicked and heartless and callous! Stop the elitist actions now! - IF YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR OKADA TO BE CRUSHED, YOUR LIFE INVESTMENTS TO BE CRUSHED, YOUR YEARS OF STRUGGLE TO BE CRUSHED OBEY THE LAW
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 1:59pm On Oct 22, 2012
Ngwakwe:

They Armed Robbers use Jeep also in robbing banks and many other high profile robbery.

Can their be a law banning Jeeps in Nigeria. Most law will not be enacted if it affects the rich.

Period
It is much easier to get away on a bike/okada after a robbery than in a car. hence, okadas pose a bigger security risk. besides, okadas really shouldn't be a means of public transportation. You only find such situations in developing countries.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by cobinwayahoo(m): 2:10pm On Oct 22, 2012
BRF,Just go ahead and ban every damn thing.Eko don dey thumble Oooo.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by jhydebaba(m): 2:13pm On Oct 22, 2012
Omen100:

bros, ondo state was never an acn controlled state, them not winning ondo state governorship election doesn't mean that they are losing south west, after all, they won Edo state. sad
Mr Lecturer Why not fault other statements Does it mean that they are true tongue tongue
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by coogar: 2:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
olatunde1234: you mention other countries like US, UK, you forget to notice their are other means of transportation in those country, you can go by train or water transportation, but here in lagos the only alternative transportation, is that of okada, i ever saw a acting commisioner in lagos on okada some years back due to traffic, the goverment should first put all necesary amenities inplace before taking such action

hogwash!
the only amenities to put in place is to decongest lagos - the state is too small for the population and people keep trooping in! if you build 500 more roads in lagos, things won't get better so the government is screwed either way! stop blaming the government - people who have no business in lagos should go back to their villages!

4 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by lumeneng22: 2:18pm On Oct 22, 2012
They are all thieves.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by stonedlive(m): 2:23pm On Oct 22, 2012
the intent of the state government was to restrict the movement of okadas
to some minor roads and streets but you forget that after you make the law
its the inglorious nigerian police that will implement the law...and we know
fully well that the police will not observe the tenets of that law...last week
police started arrested okadas within minor streets here in surulere, under the
guise of carry out the implementation of the new law. who is going to stop them.
the okada riders have been going to stations to bail their bikes for upwards of
N5,000 naira. i dont have an issue with passing a law in this state/country but
if you dont agressively orientate the public to know the parameters of that law
you have just made easy prey out of them where the nigeian police is concerned
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by otokx(m): 2:24pm On Oct 22, 2012
but what is the matter na?
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by fasttrack(m): 2:36pm On Oct 22, 2012
i guess Lagosians will live healtier this way by having to walk the length (exercise). i generally think bike riders are a bunch of nuisance and law breakers. if you move around on four legs you'll understand my point. meanwhile step out and check the roads, see how peaceful and sane they are. lets hope it remains this way. After all in the western world you can walk like 10 / 20 minutes just to get to the bus or train station. lets see this as a positive step, as for the bike riders they should back to the north or their former trades ( some were tailors, mechanics, ac/fridge guys) who have neglected all these just for the quick buck. wink wink wink wink
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Paentera(m): 2:55pm On Oct 22, 2012
hot n cold: God bless you.My other grouse with Fashola is for not providing a list of NO GO AREA for the okada riders.The police and LASTMA officials have practically left their desgninated duties all in a bid to make quick cash for themselves.(Sigh)Oh well!

A list? Are you joking? Im sure you don't know how to read road signs cos the purpose they serve is to let riders and road users to know where they can and cannot ply with their commercial trade. Stop being sentimental about a straightforward issue.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by opeshe2(m): 2:57pm On Oct 22, 2012
pingo: I have no problem with the banning of Okada, but these issues must first be addressed:
1. Was any sort of alternative provided?
2. What would the Okada riders feed on?
3. What happens to their beneficiaries?
4. Is there any sort of transportation from Ikoyi to VI if u are around Falomo or from shoprite to Adeola Odeku? (Exclusive of taxi, personal car
5. Is there enough security to curb criminal activities that will erupt? (95% of Abokis on the insland are okada riders

Answers pls!!!
the government of the day has failed the entire populace and its planing a serious social uprising which i pray doesnt happen. at least they all ve advisers what role are they playing are they in any way closer to the people at the grassroot cry
pingo: I have no problem with the banning of Okada, but these issues must first be addressed:
1. Was any sort of alternative provided?
2. What would the Okada riders feed on?
3. What happens to their beneficiaries?
4. Is there any sort of transportation from Ikoyi to VI if u are around Falomo or from shoprite to Adeola Odeku? (Exclusive of taxi, personal car
5. Is there enough security to curb criminal activities that will erupt? (95% of Abokis on the insland are okada riders

Answers pls!!!
the government of the day has failed the entire populace and its planing a serious social uprising which i pray doesnt happen. at least they all ve advisers what role are they playing? are they in any way closer to the people at the grassroot these is a very ridiculous situation and babaric in nature for government in a developing nation to destroy hard earned property no matter what the case may be did or did they not recieve import duty from these bike importers? and moreover the so called taskforce in lagos still issue tickets to okada rider, crazy policies by wicked sets of leaders.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Aluweezy(m): 3:00pm On Oct 22, 2012
Urm, doz that mean i can't ride a bike evn dou it aint for commercial purpose?? :/ :/
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Paentera(m): 3:08pm On Oct 22, 2012
e-herbal:
Why is it that the motor park touts,otherwise known as agbero were not chased off the roads like the okada riders?i tot there was a law restricting them too?the state govt is not fair in it's dealings.

Motor park activities are now banned from the road side - and restricted into Motor parks only. Same for park activities they are now restricted to inside the parks. The heads of the associations in the parks know how to discipline their members for going against the laws however on the issue of Agberos, the government keeps packing them when they can in the hope of getting them off the street.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by abarry001: 3:10pm On Oct 22, 2012
CLIQBOY: when fashola start naw..ppl go dey complain..che na only lagos ban okada..what about imo,bayelsa and others?

My brother, dont compare lagos with any state in Naija, without okada in lagos bro, pple will suffer as regards traffic.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by skibochi(m): 4:01pm On Oct 22, 2012
I have been reading different comments from nairalanders and i can say the better part of them have not even picked up the new traffic laws and read it.....biko the man did not outrightly ban okada but he put them in check by limiting where the can ply. The-same okada riders were privy to the discussion on this between LASG and the association so why all this paparazzi yarns and demonstration from them? Laws are made to monitor and control the excesses of citizen and lagos state being a peculiar state is doing the needful. People are making noise that they have removed the source of livelihood from these okada men but 5-7 years back did we have anything like okada in lagos state? NO we did not and we still survived. I just think it is laziness on the part of these okada because any tom, dick and aliyu can pick any bike and start riding without going for lessons. In my estate, i have some abokis one of them is the security guard but the others were farmers who came from their villages and they all picked up into riding okada. Right in front of me one of them that never knew how to ride was taught over nite and bingo!! the man has started riding and this is the same guy that will be carrying 2 passengers o!! TA!!! make una leave Fashola alone abeg make him do him work!!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by suskumayaya(m): 4:10pm On Oct 22, 2012
Eventhough i don't support the banning of 'okada' totally yet there seem to be orderliness on the roads.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by suskumayaya(m): 4:11pm On Oct 22, 2012
Eventhough i don't support the banning of 'okada' totally yet there seems to be orderliness on the roads without them.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Olumogun: 4:39pm On Oct 22, 2012
Putting a total ban on OKADA can not be visible in a growing economy and developing country like ours,
and I think that is why the Lagos State Govt has restricted their movements to the minor roads and community roads.
but trust Nigeria Police, they have taken over the extra implementation principle by going into
homes and shops of people now to forceful take their bike from them.
I dont climb okada, and I am not in support of their ruthless style of operation, yet the action of
POLICE AS WITNESSED BY ME SOMEWHERE AT OJOTA YESTERDAY AT ABOUT 4:30PM was a ridicle of the law. The police from Area H
just started collecting okada from their operators even though that route was not listed among the forbidden areas for the OKADA people.
I later on find out that some other okada people were not arrased at all because those bikes belong to some Police officials. GOD DEY!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by webmanlag: 4:39pm On Oct 22, 2012
Wizeboy:

Please, lets get this right.... OKADA is not ban in Lagos BUT were only restricted for some roads and area which I totally support and agree with Government 100 percent. Expressway and Bridges are NOT safe for Okada riders to be plying, I have seen so Okada accident on Expressway so many times, which is always fatal especially on Ikorodu Road.

Before when they said Okada riders are many in Igbobi Hospital, I always think is an exaggeration until last year when one of my friend had an accident and I have to visit Igbobi Hospital.

One of the Government main responsibility is protecting the life(s) and properties of citizens of the State and I believe with the ban of Okada on Expressway, they are really doing that.

NO, you get this right: because we have unserious people at the helm of affairs, the people enforcing the ban are taking advantage of this situation. Name 1 road in Lagos where you have seen an okada rider today. We hear the few on the roads belong to police and military men.(Another set taking advantage of the situation).
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by otokx(m): 4:44pm On Oct 22, 2012
but why do some people dislike law and order?

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by eledalo: 5:04pm On Oct 22, 2012
otokx: but why do some people dislike law and order?

I dont know o. Okada movement has only been restricted on certain expressways and roads. Honestly, if I were in Fashola's shoes as at right now I would not only burn okadas, I go add okada riders, people who sell on pedestrian walkways and hawkers. Please o make una no vex.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by toyecoach(m): 5:06pm On Oct 22, 2012
why this noise for petes sake.
the man-fashola gave them lots of alternatives b4 now including taking to farming at epe with stipends while awaits harvesting.the truth of the matter - the okada are lazy,lovers of quick money and do not value lifes.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by dammytosh: 5:18pm On Oct 22, 2012
toyecoach: why this noise for petes sake.
the man-fashola gave them lots of alternatives b4 now including taking to farming at epe with stipends while awaits harvesting.the truth of the matter - the okada are lazy,lovers of quick money and do not value lifes.

This is the most insensitive post i have seen in recent times. If the 'okada are lazy, lovers of quick money' cry . God will definitely fight for the poor. We can keep oppressing them but when they reach the wall and they fight back. You will all suffer for it.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by badlaw(f): 5:19pm On Oct 22, 2012
it is just nothing but wickedness from d the high authority but God is watching.i swear Fashola will regret diz whn time come.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 5:35pm On Oct 22, 2012
eledalo:

I dont know o. Okada movement has only been restricted on certain expressways and roads. Honestly, if I were in Fashola's shoes as at right now I would not only burn okadas, I go add okada riders, people who sell on pedestrian walkways and hawkers. Please o make una no vex.

At all at all now! Haba! How we go vex? We saw what people like your kind did to four students now at Aluu the other day so it isn't suprising anymore. If this your statement had come before the Aluu incident, the we might have been suprised. But the Aluu incident has opened our eyes to the wickedness in the country by arrogant and barbaric f00ls like you in postition of power who think they are some kind of god or something just like the Aluu crowd.

But you should not forget Lybia or Tunisia when you are oppressing the poor and downtrodden so that when your own starts, you won't be suprised too. Everyday for the thief! One day for the owner!!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
It's a very painful thing for government to take away source of livelihood of people. However, in the face of daunting security challenges (terrorism), the govt action might not be totally wrong. While gisting with a customer, he made a very frightening statement.
He decribed the situation thus:
"I employed two labourers who happened to be Mallams to help me with digging of my fish ponds. The two labourers happened to have known eachother prior to being hired to dig the pond. While doing their work, they began to chat. According to my friend that went with me to supervise the work and who happened to have lived in the North and understand Hausa language, one of the labourer ask the other if he was still staying at Mile 12 in Lagos. The other one responded that he no longer stay there. The first malam inquired why? He said he could notice the presence of Boko Haram in the area and he didn't want to be implicated or initiated".

If the report is true, then the Lagos State Govt might be right in taking proactive measures. I don't think Fasola will want to deliberately purnish people.i
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by tholuosa2: 6:20pm On Oct 22, 2012
What I am reading on NL is disappointing but not surprising...

It is official, a lot of Nigerians nay Lagosians reason as if they have intellectual deficits seeped in primordial sentiments....

So it is better to leave the bikes on the road, and ignore the tens of Thousands dying and getting permanently disabled by okada riders? That appeals to you all? Right?

I do ride bikes often but it is obviously not safe to ride in the expressway, and the government restricted them from major highways and expressways to operate on the inner roads, they are lucky they were not completely banned as in other states.

In actual fact a lot of these okada riders are trained artisans such as welders who had complained that they left their trade due to the power issue, now that power supply is improving, can they please return to their main trade...
The other part of these riders consists of Aboki's, who can return to their villages to FARM! The Large number of these abokis is already a security risk as an ample number of them could be members of boko haram sleeper cells.

I DO NOT HOWEVER SUPPORT THE CRUSHING OF BIKES.

The government and security agencies should please crackdown and clampdown on all criminality in the name of protest..
About ACN not winning the next elections because of this, I beg to differ, they said worse when oshodi was cleared out, and I await to see any incoming governor that will promote disorder!

ACTION PLAN FOR MOVING FORWARD
1. Government meets with Okada stakeholders restating their policy stand
2. Government meets with Police Commisioner and DPOs to deal with areas of abuse, particularly unlawful arrests within inner roads (Surulere inclusive)
3. Government should publish and for the next 6weeks announce areas where bikes can ply freely
4. Implement agreed decisions and law as it may have been amended

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Uzzyan: 6:34pm On Oct 22, 2012
Being realistic, the government got dis right tho not absolutely!! Truth be said, bikes have rendered a lot of Nigerians especially Lagosians cripples. Some roads in which they were banned in all sincereity have N̩̥✽̤̥̣̣̣̣ way or means of humans getting off dere without deir aid.

Last week I was on Awolowo way Ikeja and I was practically stranded because I was hoping to see a bike dat would take mi to my destination(considering d fact I dint know where I was heading to). To my greatest surprise, I saw d police men arresting dem and d men begging wif all D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ had)

I am just very concerned about masses like myself who have vowed neva to drive in lagos cos of the traffic dat is always insane and dose who don't have cars or money to take taxies!! Also concerned about the immense increase in crime rates in d state!!

God help us thru dis phase!!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by yhemini: 6:47pm On Oct 22, 2012
skibochi: I have been reading different comments from nairalanders and i can say the better part of them have not even picked up the new traffic laws and read it.....biko the man did not outrightly ban okada but he put them in check by limiting where the can ply. The-same okada riders were privy to the discussion on this between LASG and the association so why all this paparazzi yarns and demonstration from them? Laws are made to monitor and control the excesses of citizen and lagos state being a peculiar state is doing the needful. People are making noise that they have removed the source of livelihood from these okada men but 5-7 years back did we have anything like okada in lagos state? NO we did not and we still survived. I just think it is laziness on the part of these okada because any tom, dick and aliyu can pick any bike and start riding without going for lessons. In my estate, i have some abokis one of them is the security guard but the others were farmers who came from their villages and they all picked up into riding okada. Right in front of me one of them that never knew how to ride was taught over nite and bingo!! the man has started riding and this is the same guy that will be carrying 2 passengers o!! TA!!! make una leave Fashola alone abeg make him do him work!!

@skibochi according to reports it is an outright ban. The police have taken laws into their own hands, normally it's supposed 2 be highway and major roads buh now d police have started chasing okada in a normal street. They don't even want 2 see it parked they will carry it. That's d situation now.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by lanrefront1(m): 7:28pm On Oct 22, 2012
sino: Nigerians(most) have been used to living below standard, and that is what is affecting some people's reasoning.

I live in lagos and i have experienced all thinkable ills of okada, name it, accident, robbery etc. But i still make use of them, cos, sometimes, i really dont have a choice, and i know the way they operate is sick!
Now, from my experiences, i make the following conclusions...
Those who ride along express routes and the likes, are mostly niger, chad citizens, hausas, igbos and yorubas who drench themselves in alomo bitters and other local gins+weed(they ride like crazy)...you hardly see a reasonable person plying these routes(even if they do, they are always cautious and careful)...

It is well known that most okada riders, do not follow traffic rules at all, you need to see them drag with cars and tankers, jump red lights and ride at breakneck speed.

some of these okada riders are artisans, why did they leave thier hand work to ride okada? Well, we should ask the federal government why. Electricity! Most of these artisans need steady supply of electricity and when they cant find any, they look for alternative jobs unfortunately, okada biz.

The lagos state govt, wanted an out right ban, but due to the public cries, their movement was restricted and now ban on some major roads...
1. If the lagos state govt was cruel and dictatorial like some people have suggested, why did they revert thier initial proposal for a ban?
2. Prior to this selective ban, the lagos state govt, carried the whole porpulace along, and there was adequate publicity.
3. Lagos govt wouldnt do anything to hurt her image if not that they have the interst of the people and lagos at heart(do you guys know the population of okada riders and what they constitute as per elections?).

I really dont know what some people want, for them to continue with the havoc they cause? or for we to have sanity back on our highways?

You seem to quite a lot about Lagos Goverment intentions. I will not disagree with anything you have said. I only want to ask one question. I'm also asking everyone else.

In the Lagos state New Traffic laws, laws were passed against the activities of Agberos and touts, the same were it was passed against Okadas.

Why are the laws forbidding the operations of Agberos and touts in Lagos not being enforced? As as I know, the Agberos as still having a free reign on the entire streets and roads of Lagos.

Is this goverment fair and sincere?
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Omen100(m): 7:36pm On Oct 22, 2012
jhydebaba:
Mr Lecturer Why not fault other statements Does it mean that they are true tongue tongue

you are just a bedwetting brainless gay, how does my silence on other issues affected your pathetic bedwetting circumstances, dude help yourself by going back to the hell of abyss where you originated from.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by ohisola(f): 8:32pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

In which other state do you see them destroying their Okadas? I don't really mind placing some level of ban on Okada but why go on a destructive streak and start crushing the Okadas? Do you know how long it took a man to raise the 100k or more to buy the Okada? And you just wake up like hitler and crush it to bits! Evil and callous souls!
I don't support d destruction actually bt d truth is dat d average naija man must b pushed, forced or bent 2 obey simple rules n reg. If drastic measures lik these are nt takin, d law wil just b lik wat we usually hav. It won't last a mth. Bt nw knwin dat u can't evn bribe sm1 2 release ur bike 2 u cos its bn destroyed or wil b destroyed wil mak dem stick 2 d designated places 4 okada riders

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari To Inherit N8.1b Presidential Villa Debts / We’re Ready To Tender 2017 Budget, Says Presidency / Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu's 83rd Posthumous Birthday Is Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.