Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,659 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? (17856 Views)

Breaking News :keke Riders Protesting In Asaba (pic) / Disabled Men And Women Protesting In PH Now / Okada Riders Protesting In Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by aribisala0(m): 12:57pm On Oct 22, 2012
For those people claiming they are unemployed please send them to Abuja that is the Federal capital NOT Lagos. Look at a map of Nigeria and the size of Lagos it is 0.36% of the total area of Nigeria. Less than half of one percent and the whole of West Africa wants to come here to ride Okada. PLEASE!!! go to Abuja or Uyo Enough is Enough!!!

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 12:58pm On Oct 22, 2012
take dat: Guy I feel for those riders but they had been forewarned before now and a deadline was given to them. They chose to ignore the Government at their own peril. Customs, SON seize contraband items which may be beneficial to others but the common norm is to burn them.

Since you know GEJ why not tell him to allow Okada in the Abuja metropolis or you want to claim that Okadas are allowed to ply the Abuja metropolis. Guy stop this unnecessary propaganda cos you are not winning this one.

You are sooooo closed minded! You think I care about winning the argument. For your information, our argument here on NL cannot change the voter apathy on the streets. If you go by NL, ACN is the most popular party in Nigeria. According to the NL threads from weeks back, ACN would have won Ondo by a landslide! The street knows where the shoe pinches. This is to send a clear message to you to stop the oppression. I don't care if you win the argument. You might win the war but not win the peace!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by flexyonline: 12:59pm On Oct 22, 2012
There's a lot of misinformation on this thread. [size=20pt]LAGOS DID NOT BAN OKADA OUTRIGHT, THEY ONLY BANNED OKADA ON CERTAIN ROUTES!![/size]. There are still a lot of places okada can operate in Lagos, these just do not include majot highways!!

2 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 22, 2012
flexyonline: There's a lot of misinformation on this thread. [size=20pt]LAGOS DID NOT BAN OKADA OUTRIGHT, THEY ONLY BANNED OKADA ON CERTAIN ROUTES!![/size]. There are still a lot of places okada can operate in Lagos, these just do not include majot highways!!

We know..
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by amaba: 1:02pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

This is a shameful and ignorant comment. Did they not compensate the Landlords? How is that the same thing with an Okada man loosing his Okada along with cost of buying it and the years he tool him to acquire it? Do you know some of them took loans to buy those okada? What nonsense are you saying?

Get ur facts right.
Adams destroyed the buildinsg and compensated them enough to get a more beffiting building in comparison to their old archaic houses.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 1:03pm On Oct 22, 2012
coogar:

when intelligence was being distributed by your creator, you were on a leave of absence..
you are so poor in spirit, you have the brain capacity of a slug.....look at this homoerotic neophyte comparing deportation to crushing motor-bikes that are deemed dangerous on lagos roads. were you born feet first? did you lack proteins as a child? did you ever fall head first as a toddler thus leaving your cerebellum and your thalamus swapping positions?

you are a disgrace to the community that sponsored your education! oloshious fellow!

Is that your best shot

STOP CRUSHING AND BURNING THEIR OKADAS LIKE FACELESS NAZIS!!!

WiCKED SOULS!!!

I wish Gani was alive to take on you bunch!!!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by seunfly: 1:03pm On Oct 22, 2012
afam4eva: I knew that there's no way these Okada riders will sit and watch their only source of livelihood being denied them.

Must they do okada to earn income, thare are many things they can do apart of okada and thare are many cities they can be beside Lagos, that they will live better than their present status at the same time contribute to the country's economy rathern problems they are causing right now
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

Is that your best shot

WiCKED SOULS!!!

Baseless response..
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by takedat(m): 1:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

You are sooooo closed minded! You think I care about winning the argument. For your information, our argument here on NL cannot change the voter apathy on the streets. If you go by NL, ACN is the most popular party in Nigeria. According to the NL threads from weeks back, ACN would have won Ondo by a landslide! The street knows where the shoe pinches. This is to send a clear message to you to stop the oppression. I don't care if you win the argument. You might win the war but not win the peace!
The folks in Abuja are the ones oppressing the people. So Fashola is responsible for the woes bedevilling Nigeria? Tell GEJ who is the C in C to provide employment for the jobless and leave Fashola alone.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by jposuagwu: 1:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
I want to understand something. Is the ban on the high ways and bridges or does it include inner street streets? The reason for my question is that since Thursday last week the police have been arresting every okada along Adetola street, Enitan, Adelabu, Akinyele, Cassette and environs - all in Aguda Surulere. The arrest is both day and night. Go to Aguda now you will find police on major roads looking for okada to catch. The ban as contained in the Lagos Traffic Law, is on the highway and bridges. But I need to understand the link to streets in Aguda Surulere. I dont know about other parts of Lagos. The funny aspect is that once an okada rider is caught, he either pays N10,000 cash or forfeits his okada. What law is the police stations in Aguda implementing? Since Thursday its being very difficult getting out of Adetola for those that do not have cars. One has to walk the length of the very long road because buses do not ply (only few Keke venture the terribly damaged road and Coker end of the road is near impassable.

I suuport banning okada on the major highways/bridges but anyone that thinks of banning okada from plying densely populated areas like Surulere is only deceiving himself. Such ban would make robbery to tripple and we all know Lagos and Nigeria Police does not have what it takes to check such surge in robberies.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by CGKing(m): 1:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
U guys should read alittle of the posts before responding. Just going round in circles. The okafas were not outrightly banned,they were restricted. I fully agree with the lagos state govt. U can't oppose the govts action merely on what the riders would eat. Its like complaining on d arrest of a counterfeiter, on the excuse of what they would eat.

They should deal with the restriction or find another trade. The hazards n negatives of okadas in lagos is too much. I even support the outright ban. Let them go into a new trade.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 22, 2012
CGKing: U guys should read alittle of the posts before responding. Just going round in circles. The okafas were not outrightly banned,they were restricted. I fully agree with the lagos state govt. U can't oppose the govts action merely on what the riders would eat. Its like complaining on d arrest of a counterfeiter, on the excuse of what they would eat.

They should deal with the restriction or find another trade. The hazards n negatives of okadas in lagos is too much. I even support the outright ban. Let them go into a new trade.
New trade? Or you mean go back to ijebu?
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by JOXY(f): 1:27pm On Oct 22, 2012
coogar:

when intelligence was being distributed by your creator, you were on a leave of absence..
you are so poor in spirit, you have the brain capacity of a slug.....look at this homoerotic neophyte comparing deportation to crushing motor-bikes that are deemed dangerous on lagos roads. were you born feet first? did you lack proteins as a child? did you ever fall head first as a toddler thus leaving your cerebellum and your thalamus swapping positions?

you are a disgrace to the community that sponsored your education! oloshious fellow!
oti o, this is too much oooooo. On this Okada issue.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 1:27pm On Oct 22, 2012
wait o. So it wasn't even a total ban. So what are people here crying about? I thought okadas had been banned throughout Lagos. why not just conform with the routes and times they are allowed to ply. Everyone of you knows that it's dangerous for motorbikes to ply busy roads, especially the express roads and when you take into consideration the way okada men try to meander between vehicles like neo from the matrix, you begin to see the sense of the ban.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 1:28pm On Oct 22, 2012
take dat: The folks in Abuja are the ones oppressing the people. So Fashola is responsible for the woes bedevilling Nigeria? Tell GEJ who is the C in C to provide employment for the jobless and leave Fashola alone.

Typical ACN manifesto!

Fashola sack 788 doctors: blame GEJ!

Fashola neglect mainland: blame GEJ!

Fashola's outrageous tollgate: blame GEJ!

Fashola bad roads: blame GEJ!

Fashola destroy Okadas: blame GEJ!

Fashola abandon schools and health care: blame GEJ

Fashola doesn't provide public water: blame GEJ

LASU fees is 250k: blame GEJ

Maybe we should begin to pay our Lagos state tax to GEJ then. Or maybe GEJ should just declare emergency rule in Lagos state. When you were thumb printing your ballot paper, was it umbrella you thumb printed or broom? Take responsibility my friend or park well!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by coogar: 1:30pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:
Is that your best shot

WiCKED SOULS!!!
I wish Gani was alive to take on you bunch!!!

you have the mental capacity of a culex mosquito.
crushing is a standard procedure everywhere in the world...if you defy the laws, you risk your vehicle getting crushed @ the scrapyard! the okada men were warned - they were given deadlines and yet they defied the laws - they deserve what they got! its sheer insanity to see okadas on motorways transporting women and children @ breakneck speeds! your biggest problem is your lack of exposure - when you manage to break out of your cocoon and see how things are done in sane climes, you would regret every word you have typed on this thread, you mgbeke lizard!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by aribisala0(m): 1:31pm On Oct 22, 2012
partial ban is the first step in the right direction to a total ban. By the way how much forex do we now spend on Okada? Yet the manufacturers will not come and open factories in our country. Must we import everything??
The next step is to ban Okada from Lagos completely. Let them go to Uyo or Calabar or Abuja
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by femionasan(m): 1:31pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

Typical ACN manifesto!

Maybe we should begin to pay our Lagos state tax to GEJ then. Or maybe GEJ should just declare emergency rule in Lagos state. When you were thumb printing your ballot paper, was it umbrella you thumb printed or broom? Take responsibility my friend or park well!

My friend go and find something to do and stop throwing your hands about like a drowning man, Okada was not completely banned. Is English hard for you to understand?

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 22, 2012
coogar:

you have the mental capacity of a culex mosquito.
crushing is a standard procedure everywhere in the world...if you defy the laws, you risk your vehicle getting crushed @ the scrapyard! the okada men were warned - they were given deadlines and yet they defied the laws - they deserve what they got! its sheer insanity to see okadas on motorways transporting women and children @ breakneck speeds! your biggest problem is your lack of exposure - when you manage to break out of your cocoon and see how things are done in sane climes, you would regret every word you have typed on this thread, you mgbeke lizard!

If na me collect all this one...i'll go and jump into the lagoon..
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Iolo(m): 1:36pm On Oct 22, 2012
amaba:
A sane society and govt should provide job opportuniuties, infrastructures for people.
A sane govt should not split d already congested roads into 3 and leaving a dedicated lane to junk public trans system (BRT).
A sane govt should not collec tax and still collect tolls
A sane govt should not criminalize traffic offence and make fines higher that minimum wage.
A sane govt should leave the management of transport system and traffic management to touts
A sane govt should provide enough enlighment campaing, traffic signs to citizens
A sane govt should not develop only the business section (VI, Lekki, Ikoyi) of the state and ignore the other parts

Don't be ignorant.

- VI, Lekki, Ikoyi - Wrong. There's been a lot of development in places like Ikeja, Surulere, and even down to places like Ikotun, Ejigbo and Okota (there's signs of completed roadworks and others still ongoing in these areas). I can name names if you want.

- Traffic offence is criminalized all around the world. You either pay a ticket fine or go to jail/court for refusing to pay.

- Tolls and tax are two different concepts. Tolls are usually for road maintenance. Tax as you know, is tax. Countries that collect taxes and tolls include US, Japan, Canada, and so many others, are you saying Nigeria should be left out?

- You are right here. Squeezing the BRT lane into our already congested roads is wrong to me.

- Job opportunities? Infrastructure? Well that has been the norm for the last 52yrs. The LASG is only trying to make things better.

If you think Okadas should continue plying expressways, struggling with trailers, cars, and all what not. Then your on your own.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 1:37pm On Oct 22, 2012
I was on an okada in Anambra state and this bike man was just weaving between huge trailers and lorries; my heart was in my mouth. if the okada man were to get crushed by a trailer on the express wouldn't their families that you guys are here advocating for suffer even worse now that their breadwinner is dead as against being out of work?
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by owhizkid: 1:37pm On Oct 22, 2012
♍♈ fellow nairalanders,
Okada ws nt banned in lagos bt limited... To ♍ƺ I want to support d banning of okada in lagos nd dis re ♍♈ reasons
Thieves use it more often to get away frm dia victims quickly
Law defaulters use it as an excape route to dodge law enforcers
P.s
If any1 finds it difficult to cope with d ban, D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ shld learn a trade or handwork, I think dis WȊ̝̊̅ℓℓ pay dem more...
Check in lagos out of hundred okada riders, sixty re mallams, dt did nt av any experience in riding bike
Perhas sef Йą only commercial bikes dem ban no b private...
I RECALL; an Enugu houseboy dt ws brought to lagos, just because his master shouted on him for doing tins wrong d boy commot for house go carry bike... With no experience
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Oct 22, 2012
sheyie2007:

You're the reason why Nigeria is backward..
And u are the reason why mediocres are celebrated as heroes. Pray, tell me, why should we neglect the obvious bad roads, and go on a distraction jamboree making traffic laws, seizing and burning okadas. In as much as I don't support lawless protests by okada men, and the obvious dangers their business poses to the populace, the truth be told that the govt, local govt are not doing enough work on our roads.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by takedat(m): 1:38pm On Oct 22, 2012
thelastPope:

Typical ACN manifesto!

I thought you were just a concerned person sympathising with the plight of the Okada riders, Just realising that you are only trying to score cheap political points. Guess what, I don't belong to ACN but I stand by Fashola on this one.

Its best you use your umbrella to hide your shame.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by thelastPope(m): 1:41pm On Oct 22, 2012
femionasan:

My friend go and find something to do and stop throwing your hands about like a drowning man, Okada was not completely banned. Is English hard for you to understand?

Which one is your problem, is it reading or comprehension?

I will give you the benefit of doubt. Go back and read my posts carefully and when you are done, come back here and read this:

STOP CRUSHING AND BURNING THEIR OKADA!

STOP CRUSHING AND BURNING THEIR LIFE INVESTMENTS!!

STOP CRUSHING AND BURNING THEIR YEARS OF STRUGGLE!!!

Stop being wicked and heartless and callous! Stop the elitist actions now!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by coogar: 1:42pm On Oct 22, 2012
sheyie2007:
If na me collect all this one...i'll go and jump into the lagoon..

that's the point - negro should drive off the 3rd mainland bridge and feed the fishes with his decomposing body - he's a waste of flesh!
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by cupid4ig(m): 1:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
the same okada riders fashola gave free helmet when he was campaigning what a world we live in angry angry angry sad sad undecided undecided cry cry

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by olatunde1234: 1:48pm On Oct 22, 2012
Wizeboy:
Fashola might be going wrong on other issues in Lagos State... but I think he really get this right. Since one of the responsibilities why we elect him there is to SAFE-GUARD the life(s) and properties of the people of Lagos State.
There is no country of the world (been USA, England, Russia or any other developed countries) that does not experience traffic on their major road, so its not peculiar to either Lagos or Africa alone. And traffic is not always caused by bad roads alone as those other developed countries hardly have bad roads.
Banning them of Expressway is to protect the life of the riders and people riding it, we cant continue loosing some many life on a daily basis again.
you mention other countries like US, UK, you forget to notice their are other means of transportation in those country, you can go by train or water transportation, but here in lagos the only alternative transportation, is that of okada, i ever saw a acting commisioner in lagos on okada some years back due to traffic, the goverment should first put all necesary amenities inplace before taking such action
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 1:49pm On Oct 22, 2012
@lolo, the BRT service was extremely necessary and, while i admit it was squeezed into an already congested road, i must say i have no regrets about it. Fashola's only option would have been to expand the road, which would have been quite expensive and would have involved a whole lot of demolition as most of the buildings along the stretch from western avenue all the way to Ketu virtually hug the road. not to talk of the internet warriors that would come here to declare fashola the demolishing dictator.
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by olatunde1234: 1:50pm On Oct 22, 2012
Wizeboy:
Fashola might be going wrong on other issues in Lagos State... but I think he really get this right. Since one of the responsibilities why we elect him there is to SAFE-GUARD the life(s) and properties of the people of Lagos State.
There is no country of the world (been USA, England, Russia or any other developed countries) that does not experience traffic on their major road, so its not peculiar to either Lagos or Africa alone. And traffic is not always caused by bad roads alone as those other developed countries hardly have bad roads.
Banning them of Expressway is to protect the life of the riders and people riding it, we cant continue loosing some many life on a daily basis again.
you mention other countries like US, UK, you forget to notice their are other means of transportation in those country, you can go by train or water transportation, but here in lagos the only alternative transportation, is that of okada, i ever saw a acting commisioner in lagos on okada some years back due to traffic, the goverment should first put all necesary amenities inplace before taking such action
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by Ngwakwe: 1:51pm On Oct 22, 2012
acidtalk: There are certainly Pros and Cons in this Okada of a thing.
But The Cons out weighs the Pros in multitudes.

A friend just called me up that men on motorbike attacked his church member in surulere yesterday and even shot her.

They Armed Robbers use Jeep also in robbing banks and many other high profile robbery.

Can there be a law banning Jeeps in Nigeria. Most law will not be enacted if it affects the rich.

Period
Re: Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos? by olatunde1234: 1:51pm On Oct 22, 2012
Wizeboy:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tukur Declares War Against New PDP Faction / Police Rescue Woman From Ritualists’ Den In Ogun / Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu's 83rd Posthumous Birthday Is Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.