Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,107 members, 7,828,886 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? (18001 Views)

Photo: Is This The Best Way Of Securing Your Car From Theft? / What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? / What Measure Is Being Put In Place To Avoid Buying A Stolen Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 10:43am On Nov 01, 2012
platinumricky:
Gawg! Am luving this! U̶̲̥̅̊ just luv the attention ryt?! Did U̶̲̥̅̊ lack affection from ur parents as a toddler? Go f**k urself..U̶̲̥̅̊ obviously know nothing about cars.
Hahaha car guru,the only thing you have said about car was what you copied from auto.com.

Maybe you haven't heard of John Kanzius who started the process of creating alternative fuel from salt water,you are just a goon with empty skull.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Bring your Chemistry skills and analyze them here,don't copy from the internet because I will detect your copied paste if I see them,chronic goon.
U̶̲̥̅̊ obviously had arrested development as a child, besides, i believe U̶̲̥̅̊ have a serious problem grasping the english language. Siena's post was detailed and hit the point, but U̶̲̥̅̊ Я still stuck with ur old argument. I bet his post seems like greek to U̶̲̥̅̊.How dumb could U̶̲̥̅̊ possibly get?! Transfer ur aggression smewhere else, cu m-guzzling swine!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 10:51am On Nov 01, 2012
platinumricky:
U̶̲̥̅̊ obviously had arrested development as a child, besides, i believe U̶̲̥̅̊ have a serious problem grasping the english language. Siena's post was detailed and hit the point, but U̶̲̥̅̊ Я still stuck with ur old argument. I bet his post seems like greek to U̶̲̥̅̊.How dumb could U̶̲̥̅̊ possibly get?! Transfer ur aggression smewhere else, cum-guzzling swine!
The state of your post shows your age,my 3yrs old daughter can do better.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Hahaha car guru,the only thing you have said about car was what you copied from auto.com.

Maybe you haven't heard of John Kanzius who started the process of creating alternative fuel from salt water,you are just a goon with empty skull.
Ur 'fully loaded skull spews trash'. U̶̲̥̅̊ hv successfully derailed the thread,cheers mate!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: The state of your post shows your age,my 3yrs old daughter can do better.

L̳̿Ö̤̣̇☺ː̗̀(=)))ː̖́☺Ö̤̣̇L̳̿ , i bet U̶̲̥̅̊ will make a good dad with ur dimwitted approach to issues, poor child!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Hahaha car guru,the only thing you have said about car was what you copied from auto.com.

Zombie, chk my previous posts...
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 11:00am On Nov 01, 2012
platinumricky:

Zombie, chk my previous posts...
Can you kindly provide me with link your dumb posts? Idi:ot
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Can you kindly provide me with link your dumb posts? Idi:ot
U̶̲̥̅̊ Я too dumb to even navigate nairaland's UI! Holy cow! Dumbo!!!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 11:18am On Nov 01, 2012
platinumricky:
U̶̲̥̅̊ Я too dumb to even navigate nairaland's UI! Holy cow! Dumbo!!!
Navigate NL UI? Why not teach me,your watery brain needs urgent transplant,what makes you think that I'll waste my data reading through your dumb posts.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Ikenna351(m): 11:20am On Nov 01, 2012
@ Chucky234 & Platinumricky.

Am surprised you guys have carried over Politics section to this section, where everyone enjoys throwing insults here and there. Sometimes i wonder if adults still comment in that section. Please guys, you must not convince anyone. I have come to learn that too, when someone accused me of being boastfull, simply because i do use my experiences and issues with my car to let people know the implication or what might befall them if they choose to go a particular direction. Well, it's hard to do, but i have learnt to let people be. Keeping silent doesnt mean you have changed what i strongly believed in, but no point trying to prove anything to one. Life is choice.

@ Chuky234,
You appear to be well informed in your field, but you do sound off track here. It appears you dont even know what makes up a vehicle? You keep mentioning the body, as if thats all a vehicle is made of. Now, lets put it this way. If you have an EFI vehicle,locate the ECU of the vehicle, pour water into it (with the ECU wiring connector not detached and the battery terminals still connected), allow it to dry, and then start the car. Whatever happens, come back to tell us. You can even try it on the simple electric components like relays. You can even try it on the instrument cluster like Siena had said. If the cluster survive a week still working perfectly, come back and correct me.

A lot of people have lost their vehicle ECUs to water, while steam washing their engine bays, likewise the Alternators. Your ECU might not die immediately, but will start malfunctioning till it eventually gives up. Water has entered my car Injection ECU twice. Yes, it's still working. But it has starting giving sign of failure. It's a question of time before it finally gives up. I don't think anyone would want to purchase a tokunbo car, only to be told to replace everything electrical in that car before he could use the car.

Chucky234, you really have a lot to learn about modern cars. Thats what i think.

Ikenna.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Ikenna351(m): 11:23am On Nov 01, 2012
And please, anymore insult comment/post here, consider it deleted.

Ikenna.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 01, 2012
With all due respect @ikenna351, noted.
*signs out*
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Ikenna351(m): 11:46am On Nov 01, 2012
Am surprised that no one has mentioned what would be the state of the engine of an affected vehicle. Its very possible that water would soak/flow into the combustion chambers via airbox. The butterfly in the throttle body is not air-tight or sealed off when its closed. Water would pass it, depending on the pressure.

Though, air goes into the chambers via intake valves, but it may not guarantee that water wont find its way into those chambers.

If water goes into the combustion chambers, it will gradually rust the chambers and may soak down into the crankcase, depending on the pressure. That means, such vehicle's engine will have to be opened/set apart, seals & bearings replaced, oil pump replaced, etc, before coupling it back.

Am not sure I would want to go down that road to own a tokunbo car, no matter how cheap the vehicle would be.

Ikenna.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 11:56am On Nov 01, 2012
TIPS:-
1. Assess the damage. Before you
attempt any type of repair, see
how bad the damage is. If the
damage is going to cost more
than the total worth of the car,
then it is not salvageable.
2. Start by fixing the engine. This is
the main concern with a flood-
damaged vehicle. If there is water
in the engine, then you should
not drive it. Instead, have it towed
to an engine repair shop.
3. Drain the transmission and oil
pans of the flood damaged car.
Once they have been drained, you
can replace the oil and
transmission fluid.
4. Allow the brake system to be
dried and inspected. Brake fluid
also needs to be replaced.
5. Give the interior of the car time to
dry out. It is likely that a mildew
smell will linger once it has dried.
In this case, take the car to an
upholstery repair shop. They can
rip out the old material, dry it out
and replace it.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by ITbomb(m): 12:32pm On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: TIPS:-
can replace the oil and
transmission fluid.
and replace it.
Then the sensors and ECU, you take it out , spread it in the sun and dry it, right?
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: TIPS:-
can replace the oil and
transmission fluid.
and replace it.

Bro, this is all well and good.

But all this costs money. There's no way an non-technically-minded person would know how to access how bad a flooded car is. Think of pre-orders too, where the client isn't in any position to even have the most basic inspection. In all instances, the buyer would have to buy the car first, then see how salvageable it is later. He / she could have a budget in mind, yet end up exceeding that more than twice. It's a case of being in too deep, at the point of no return. Too much money invested, too much to lose if the repairs are aborted.

Because
there's no way cost of salvage could be accessed until the automobile's been purchased, AND taken to a competent shop. I'm a qualified engineer, and even at that, I could not even begin to estimate how much such a restoration (because that's effectively what it is) will cost. Too many variables, too much uncertainty.

Bottom line, a car that's been immersed in fresh water for even 24 hours will never be right, one that's been immersed in salt water for as little as 4 hours will never be right. Sure, it'll drive, and things may function, sporadically. But it won't be like it should be. Some owner's may be satisfied with a late-model car that drives, the windows go up and down, the lights and aircon function. Some others are much more critical (I'm one of those) and nothing but 100% operational performance will do.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Fhemmmy: 2:40pm On Nov 01, 2012
InvertedHammer:

Carfax/VIN check is only good if they do the repairs at a place that tracks/reports the vehicle. If they take it to a "mom and pop" car repair, then more than likely the repair will never show on Carfax... especially if no Insurance claim is made against the repair.

This is what i have always try to let people understand . . . Nice one.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 4:49pm On Nov 01, 2012
ITbomb:
Then the sensors and ECU, you take it out , spread it in the sun and dry it, right?
The ECU should be checked for contamination,all wiring link should also be checked for contamination. Confirm if all integrated circuitry such as ABS,Stability Contract,Traction Control are not compromised,airbags,pre-tentioners and seat belts should also be checked for contamination and if they are still very much serviceable.
If contaminated the ECU and other component should be replaced,fitted ECU is advisable.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: The ECU should be checked for contamination,all wiring link should also be checked for contamination. Confirm if all integrated circuitry such as ABS,Stability Contract,Traction Control are not compromised,airbags,pre-tentioners and seat belts should also be checked for contamination and if they are still very much serviceable.
If contaminated the ECU and other component should be replaced,fitted ECU is advisable.

This is what posters have been trying to get across to you. To do all these things you've posted, a buyer will have to buy the car first! Then have to spend a whole bunch of money in rectification, with no guarantees the car will ever be right.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 9:02pm On Nov 01, 2012
Siena:

This is what posters have been trying to get across to you. To do all these things you've posted, a buyer will have to buy the car first! Then have to spend a whole bunch of money in rectification, with no guarantees the car will ever be right.
My points were based on the first owners putting the cars in order after the flood and not the person pre-ordering the car from US.
All I have been trying to say here is that flooded cars can be repaired depending on the period of immersion.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by ITbomb(m): 9:58pm On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: My points were based on the first owners putting the cars in order after the flood and not the person pre-ordering the car from US.
All I have been trying to say here is that flooded cars can be repaired depending on the period of immersion.
U didn't ve to call someone m0ron cos of that
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by olaeli(m): 10:41pm On Nov 01, 2012
Nobody seems to have answer for stagger, I have a friend in the same shoe too, anyone with info about the port in NJ and NY should please post it. Thanks

stagger: Hmm.

I have a car I bought which has been at the port in New Jersey for the past 4 weeks awaiting shipping by Grimaldi. I hope the flood did not get there.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by rolrose03: 2:56am On Nov 02, 2012
just to comment on ur curiousity. 1; all the flooded cars in the east coast wont go to auction for sale until after 30 to 60 days which is the time it takes for insurance company to analyse the lost and to see if its salvageable in which they will decide to fix it or count their lose. now that been said if you want to know if the car is flooded, all the button or some of the button in the car might start malfunctioning or not working all together so best thing is for you to request that u dont want flood car one and if u have ur doubts when then car get to naija just flush the engine by removing all the liquid in it including the gas, oil, transmission fluid and radiator fluid but trust me if the car is a flood car from jersey the engine wont work period cos its salt water.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 03, 2012
I have vehicles which have been in NJ port now for about 2 weeks which are about to be shipped before the superstorm, what is the scenario now
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 03, 2012
ojeffo:
Hhhhmmm!!!! U get serious point here oo.But dis guz na my best friend oo,and ¶ dnt knw hw to go about asking him 4 refund.Funny thing is dt he has not even shown me any pictures or details of any car,and has given me many different stories each time ¶ demand 4 an update.d sms ¶ sent him d last time has never been replied.

Oga, better wake up and ask for ur money. Tell him something came up.

There is no friend when it comes to money. I have learnt it the hardway. Every man who comes across as a friend has in one way or the other come to dupe and walk away unless you think he is like minded as you are.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by sultaan(m): 2:23pm On Nov 04, 2012
Can we all agree that;
Water(fresh/salty) in car electronics is bad.
Silt in engine is bad.

How bad it is for any particular is up to the new owner to find out.

Chucky, when they say chemistry, I think they mean the possible chemical reaction that can happen between the metals used in electronics and salt solution in presence of a current and heat.

When you said they are coated, remember every circuit can be back probed to make sure they work. With your fuse box and relays out they open for ideas from the salt things can get pretty interesting.
A couple of the attached pic in your car and you will be chasing ghosts for a while

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by ITbomb(m): 2:42pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^^Abeg no bring am back, he was obviously arguing out of pride. He quite understood all these.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fake Transfer From A Rider / Swap Your Dead Or Weak Inverter Batteries For A New One! / Valeo Unveils Camera Tech That Allows Drivers To See The Back Of Their Trailers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.