Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,878 members, 7,828,126 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? (17999 Views)

Photo: Is This The Best Way Of Securing Your Car From Theft? / What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? / What Measure Is Being Put In Place To Avoid Buying A Stolen Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by MissCorrection: 1:22am On Nov 01, 2012
Fhemmmy:

What [b]is the ride never made it to the auction block? But just from there towed and sent to Nigeria . . . remember, Nigerians too lives in those affected states and some drives too, and instead of them losing the ride's value, they know some Nigerians that will jump for joy that they getting a good deal if they could just sell to those and pay the shipping and clear . . . Lol[/b]

If

they ARE getting

clearing costs...
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by sajawagu: 1:32am On Nov 01, 2012
To avoid buying a flood damaged car from US you have to cheek the vin number.It will only cost you about $39.99
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by InvertedHammer: 2:02am On Nov 01, 2012
sajawagu: To avoid buying a flood damaged car from US you have to cheek the vin number.It will only cost you about $39.99

Vin # may not give you latest information on any particular vehicle.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by naijaking1: 3:27am On Nov 01, 2012
sajawagu: To avoid buying a flood damaged car from US you have to cheek the vin number.It will only cost you about $39.99

Best advise so far.
As for not being on the list? Why not? When you pay an equivalent of $20,000 or less for a 'suddenly found' 2012 Honda Pilot. This vehicle was not list by last weekend, but now "you're lucky to find it at a give away price" You're lucky because the owner has sold the car to the insurance company for the $42,000 market value. The insurance companies used to crumple these vehicles a scraps for less than $1-2,000, before Nigerians, Romanians, Iranians, and Pakistanis showed up and started struggling to buy these scraps. Now the insurance/banks sell the scraped cars at auctions all over US. Still they are scraps.
Nigerians should know!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Fhemmmy: 3:34am On Nov 01, 2012
Golden Lady:

Agreed. I initially saved up $3000 for a vehicle but the vehicle I ended up getting was $6000. I've had the car almost a year with no problems. So, the amount of money you can spend is [/b]very[b] important.

Great . . . A lemon is cheap but real machine is money invested into a stress-free tomorrow . . .
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Fhemmmy: 3:36am On Nov 01, 2012

True but not applicable in all cases . . . .
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 6:04am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Look who is talking of chemistry,what has chemistry got to with machines? Mor0n

U̶̲̥̅̊ Я one ignorant swine! 1'The chloride in sea water causes an electrochemical
reaction with metals, interacting with oxygen and other environmental
factors to eat away metal
components'

2.The salt in sea water can do irreparable damage to cars or trucks. Corrosion
can eat into body panels and cause electrical systems to fail, according
to Autos.com.
Wetin them dey use build 'machines'?!
Go and do ur own independent research b4 U̶̲̥̅̊ start typing like a dimwit on NL. Its because of individuals like you that Nigerians are attributed to possess Low I.Q, Ewu Burkina faso!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by InvertedHammer: 6:07am On Nov 01, 2012

Carfax/VIN check is only good if they do the repairs at a place that tracks/reports the vehicle. If they take it to a "mom and pop" car repair, then more than likely the repair will never show on Carfax... especially if no Insurance claim is made against the repair.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 6:17am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Did you learn that from organic or pure chemistry,which chemistry textbook explains the effect of salt,oxgen and water on machines and what are the chemistry materials contained in a machine as you have dumbly pointed out?
All major component of car panels and engines are coated with protective coatings to fight corrosion resulting from the possible reaction of chlorine,salt and oxygen and will not cost irrepairable damages to the cars.
Mr. ITK, the term U̶̲̥̅̊ Я searching for is 'galvanization'. Its done mostly to the shell and body panels...driveline/suspension components are often excluded! Olodo!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 6:37am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Did you learn that from organic or pure chemistry,which chemistry textbook explains the effect of salt,oxgen and water on machines and what are the chemistry materials contained in a machine as you have dumbly pointed out?
All major component of car panels and engines are coated with protective coatings to fight corrosion resulting from the possible reaction of chlorine,salt and oxygen and will not cost irrepairable damages to the cars.
U̶̲̥̅̊se ur skills in the 'jokes' section, and beside its 'cause' and not 'cost'. 'Expert Extraordinaire'...
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 7:00am On Nov 01, 2012
MissCorrection:

Will BE put
Professor of English,why can't you just ignore it and move on with your ITK attitude.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 7:23am On Nov 01, 2012
platinumricky:
Mr. ITK, the term U̶̲̥̅̊ Я searching for is 'galvanization'. Its done mostly to the shell and body panels...driveline/suspension components are often excluded! Olodo!
Mumu who is talking of galvanizing,the term galvanization is used when you coat metal to prevent it from rusting but that's a different thing when it comes to metal coming in contact with salty sea water.
You don't just wake up with your dull brain to me that the study of machines is chemistry when chemistry explains only the electrochemical reaction of chloride in sea water coming in contact with metals.
The chloride in sea water
causes an electrochemical reaction with metals, interacting with oxygen and other environmental factors to
eat or wear away metal components,
In the absence of corrosive agents.
Chemistry has nothing to with the functions of a machine but deals only with electrochemical recation,for you mor0ns to tell me that the functions of car engines were explained by chemistry shows you nothing about Chemistry as a subject.
In the absence of protective paints, sealants and other coatings to protect engines and metal panels of the cars from corrosion from sea water irreparable damage to cars or
trucks. Corrosion can eat into
body panels and cause
electrical systems to fail,but once its coated with electrochemical barrier the cars are safe from the corrosive effect of sea water.
Don't quote me without offering anything sensible,idio:t.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 7:38am On Nov 01, 2012
platinumricky:
U̶̲̥̅̊se ur skills in the 'jokes' section, and beside its 'cause' and not 'cost'. 'Expert Extraordinaire'...
Idi;ot english teacher,you got nothing to support your dumb friend who thinks functions of a car engine is the study of Chemistry.
Two beetle-headed who can't tell the difference between "Electrochemical reaction" and "functions of a car engine",two chronic mumu trying hard to twist chemistry.
Go back to that your Chemistry textbook and study cathodic protection then come back to rephrase your terms,besotted being.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 7:50am On Nov 01, 2012
platinumricky:

U̶̲̥̅̊ Я one ignorant swine! 1'The chloride in sea water causes an electrochemical
reaction with metals, interacting with oxygen and other environmental
factors to eat away metal
components'

2.The salt in sea water can do irreparable damage to cars or trucks. Corrosion
can eat into body panels and cause electrical systems to fail, according
to Autos.com.
Wetin them dey use build 'machines'?!
Go and do ur own independent research b4 U̶̲̥̅̊ start typing like a dimwit on NL. Its because of individuals like you that Nigerians are attributed to possess Low I.Q, Ewu Burkina faso!
Oh my God,thought you are a guru in Chemistry ,why can't you show knowledge of Chemistry instead of roaming the internet to copy paste.
What do they use to build machines? Go back to that dumb site of yours and find out the preventive measures then come back,mumu-maga.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 7:53am On Nov 01, 2012
Car title is incredible as it may seem, it's possible for a dealer or an individual to acquire, legally, a title for a car that's been flood-damaged and totaled that doesn't reflect the damage. In most states, totaled cars' titles bear a salvage tag on the title. But a dealer can wholesale the car out to a state that issues the fresh title without tagging the car as salvage. Which states? It doesn't matter because once the title has been laundered, it can be retitled in any state, clean as a whistle.
And I'd rather not say, so nobody gets
any ideas about laundering the title to
a damaged car.
So caveat emptor (let the buyer
beware). Always examine any potential used car or truck purchases with a jaundiced eye. Look carefully for evidence that the vehicle has been wet: i.e., mud in unusual places in the
trunk, water marks inside the
instruments, an owner's manual that
looks like it's been wet, warped
fiberboard door panels or glovebox
interiors.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Mumu who is talking of galvanizing,the term galvanization is used when you coat metal to prevent it from rusting but that's a different thing when it comes to metal coming in contact with salty sea water.
You don't just wake up with your dull brain to me that the study of machines is chemistry when chemistry explains only the electrochemical reaction of chloride in sea water coming in contact with metals.
The chloride in sea water
causes an electrochemical reaction with metals, interacting with oxygen and other environmental factors to
eat or wear away metal components,
In the absence of corrosive agents.
Chemistry has nothing to with the functions of a machine but deals only with electrochemical recation,for you mor0ns to tell me that the functions of car engines were explained by chemistry shows you nothing about Chemistry as a subject.
In the absence of protective paints, sealants and other coatings to protect engines and metal panels of the cars from corrosion from sea water irreparable damage to cars or
trucks. Corrosion can eat into
body panels and cause
electrical systems to fail,'but once its coated with electrochemical barrier the cars are safe from the corrosive effect of sea water.
Don't quote me without offering anything sensible,idio:t.
U̶̲̥̅̊ only get progressively dumber with each post?! U̶̲̥̅̊ should consider getting a career in the circus!

'but once its coated with electrochemical barrier the cars are safe from the corrosive effect of sea water'
Are the onboard electronic circuits/sensors coated? Are the braking system components and suspension parts resistant to rust?! Why do U̶̲̥̅̊ think most of those vehicles are written off?! That's because the subsequent repair bills will exceed the total value of the vehicles in a matter of time and there's no guarantee that new issues won't arise after the existing ones are tackled. U̶̲̥̅̊ Я such a retard!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 8:14am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Oh my God,thought you are a guru in Chemistry ,why can't you show knowledge of Chemistry instead of roaming the internet to copy paste.
What do they use to build machines? Go back to that dumb site of yours and find out the preventive measures then come back,mumu-maga.
Dat dumb brain of urs will need a high velocity hit with a hammer to reset it. U̶̲̥̅̊ Я just emphasizing on their mechanicals - go and explore their electricals as well. On second thought, whose interest(s) Я U̶̲̥̅̊ protecting? Я U̶̲̥̅̊ doing a P.R job for some shady car dealers who intend to ship vehicles with flood related issues? I hope U̶̲̥̅̊ will end up wit a salt water- immersed car afterwards. Hopefully, U̶̲̥̅̊ will be in a position to educate other dumbasses like urself, Imbecilic slowpoke!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Idi;ot english teacher,you got nothing to support your dumb friend who thinks functions of a car engine is the study of Chemistry.
Two beetle-headed who can't tell the difference between "Electrochemical reaction" and "functions of a car engine",two chronic mumu trying hard to twist chemistry.
Go back to that your Chemistry textbook and study cathodic protection then come back to rephrase your terms,besotted being.

This explains everything! Have U̶̲̥̅̊ been dealing with 504s and 404s? Vehicles of that generation are not complex! Have U̶̲̥̅̊ seen the onboard electronics of a L322 Range rover?! Or any vehicle built after 2002? U̶̲̥̅̊ hv been dealing with automotive relics, go and find something that's contemporary and use it as the basis of ur argument! You nitwit!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by ITbomb(m): 8:45am On Nov 01, 2012
The chucky just refuses to take his foolishness else where.
Chucky, we are referring to the whole underneath and dashboard of the car being under salt water for more than 48 hours not just a sprinkle like those on flooded Nigerian roads which is even fresh water [' Fresh ' I no mean say make u go drink am o. Cos I know u r so dumb].

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 01, 2012
ITbomb: The chucky just refuses to take his foolishness else where.
Chucky, we are referring to the whole underneath and dashboard of the car being under salt water for more than 48 hours not just a sprinkle like those on flooded Nigerian roads which is even fresh water [' Fresh ' I no mean say make u go drink am o. Cos I know u r so dumb].

Omo,i tire oh!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by mavinc4u(f): 9:34am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Oh my God,thought you are a guru in Chemistry ,why can't you show knowledge of Chemistry instead of roaming the internet to copy paste.

wow,topic has been derailed with chemistry.any way sir,you said is not chemistry?and i know is not chemistry too but which subject is your point going for cos i can't see any from all your posts.you have been saying is not chemistry but have not mentioned what it is.please what subject do you think it is
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by utility: 9:45am On Nov 01, 2012
THE HEART OF MAN WILL CONDEMN FASTER THAN PRAISE.I WANT TO ASK A QUESTION:IF U LIVE IN LEKKI AND THE SEA FLOODED YOUR 2012 TOYOTA CAMRY (GOD FORBID!),BECAUSE OF THAT BE SINCERE ANYONE,WILL U CONDEMN/ABANDON THE CAR?WONT YOU FIND A WAY TO EITHER REPAIR OR DROP THE PRICE AND FLOG THE RIDE?LETS BE TRUE. QUESTION 2:AS A NIGERIAN,LETS BE FRANK,IF THEY DASH U...FREE...ONE OF THOSE FLOODED CARS FROM AMERICA,WILL YOU NOT TAKE?
THE ONLY ADVICE I HAVE FOR THE POSTER OF THIS IS THAT THANK GOD YOU SAY U AND THE BUYER ARE FRIENDLIES.AND YOU MUST HAVE A CERTAIN DEPTH OF RELATIONSHIP TO GIVE HIM AN ADVANCE PAYMENT FOR GOOD UNRECEIVED.THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW IS TO LET HIM KNOW THAT YOU KNOW OF THESE CARS AND THAT HE SHOULD DO HIS BEST,GIVE HIM THE TIPS THAT NAIRALANDERS HAVE GIVEN HERE,AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 9:57am On Nov 01, 2012
platinumricky:
Dat dumb brain of urs will need a high velocity hit with a hammer to reset it. U̶̲̥̅̊ Я just emphasizing on their mechanicals - go and explore their electricals as well. On second thought, whose interest(s) Я U̶̲̥̅̊ protecting? Я U̶̲̥̅̊ doing a P.R job for some shady car dealers who intend to ship vehicles with flood related issues? I hope U̶̲̥̅̊ will end up wit a salt water- immersed car afterwards. Hopefully, U̶̲̥̅̊ will be in a position to educate other dumbasses like urself, Imbecilic slowpoke!
Are the electrical parts Chemistry?
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 01, 2012

Bro, there's no need to insult people, just because their opinion differs from yours!

We're not talking car panels and engines (which will resist salt to a certain degree). Even so, fighting chlorine is not the same as 100% protection. Non-galvanised steel WILL rust. Anything made of semi-conductor material (silicon carbide, gallium arsenide, germanium etc will NOT react favourably with salt. So in a modern automobile, we're talking ECU, TCU, instrument cluster, control modules for ABS, climate control, convenience systems etc.

Once these have been imersed in salt water, they break down, even when dried. Water is conductive, more so if it contains salt. Now think of any control unit or other circuitry. The majority of these systems will have power to their primaries, even if the ignition is switched off. Now apply salt water to these components while the vehicle's battery is connected. What's going to happen then? Salt water is extremely corrosive, and conductive.

What happens to your laptop or mobile phone, when it's dropped into even fresh water, with no salt content? Or your desktop keyboard when it suffers a minor spill? You got it - they don't function properly.

Lastly - would you knowingly buy an automobile that's been immersed in salt water? Answers on a postcard, please!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Are the electrical parts Chemistry?

Rephrase ur question...
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 10:17am On Nov 01, 2012
Siena:

Bro, there's no need to insult people, just because their opinion differs from yours!

We're not talking car panels and engines (which will resist salt to a certain degree). Even so, fighting chlorine is not the same as 100% protection. Non-galvanised steel WILL rust. Anything made of semi-conductor material (silicon carbide, gallium arsenide, germanium etc will NOT react favourably with salt. So in a modern automobile, we're talking ECU, TCU, instrument cluster, control modules for ABS, climate control, convenience systems etc.

Once these have been imersed in salt water, they break down, even when dried. Water is conductive, more so if it contains salt. Now think of any control unit or other circuitry. The majority of these systems will have power to their primaries, even if the ignition is switched off. Now apply salt water to these components while the vehicle's battery is connected. What's going to happen then?

What happens to your laptop or mobile phone, when it's dropped into even plain water, with no salt content? Or your desktop keyboard when it suffers a minor spill? You got it - they don't function properly.

Lastly - would you knowingly buy an automobile that's been immersed in salt water? Answers on a postcard, please!
The idi:ot copied a shady article on the internet to insult my person,haba Siena you don't expect me to take that.
My initial argument was based on the fact that Chemistry has nothing to do with the functions of a car engine exception electrochemical reactions involving solvents/fluids or the electrochemical reactions when the panels or metal parts of a car come in contact with sea water which is salty by nature.
Like I said in the absence of protective paints ,sealants and other coating agents sea water can cause irreparable damages to cars but if proper measures are taken the effect of salt can be neutralize.
Take boats for instance,manufacturers uses materials such as zinc to coat boat hulls, creating an electrochemical barrier known as cathodic protection,I know car manufacturers also take this into consideration when building and designing cars.
Cars being flooded by sea water does not mean the end for the cars as the effect of the salt can be neutralized using baking soda,there is a detailed step on how sea water flooded cars can be dry and restore back to efficiency.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 10:24am On Nov 01, 2012
ITbomb: The chucky just refuses to take his foolishness else where.
Another beetle-headed goon,dashboard and underneath being immersed in salty water for 48hrs will not stop the cars from working again if you know what it takes to dry and neutralize the effect of the salty water. First you need to understand the electrochemical that take place when a car is immerse into salty water to be able to proffer solution,so what's your point?
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Look who is talking of chemistry,what has chemistry got to with machines? Mor0n
Dumbass, U̶̲̥̅̊ fired the 1st shot and U̶̲̥̅̊ hv now started crying wolf! U thought U̶̲̥̅̊ Я the only one who knows the 'art of trolling',huh?! Dimwitted ram...2 can play dat game #trolling.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 10:29am On Nov 01, 2012
platinumricky:
Bring your Chemistry skills and analyze them here,don't copy from the internet because I will detect your copied paste if I see them,chronic goon.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 10:31am On Nov 01, 2012
platinumricky:
Dumbass, U̶̲̥̅̊ fired the 1st shot and U̶̲̥̅̊ hv now started crying wolf! U thought U̶̲̥̅̊ Я the only one who knows the 'art of trolling',huh?! Dimwitted ram...
Trolling? I laugh your dumb brain,analyze salt reactions on machines and put them here for all to see idi:ot,all you have been able to do since yesterday was copy paste.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Bring your Chemistry skills and analyze them here,don't copy from the internet because I will detect your copied paste if I see them,chronic goon.
Gawd! Am luving this! U̶̲̥̅̊ just luv the attention ryt?! Did U̶̲̥̅̊ lack affection from ur parents as a toddler? Go f**k urself..U̶̲̥̅̊ obviously know nothing about cars.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Bring your Chemistry skills and analyze them here,don't copy from the internet because I will detect your copied paste if I see them,chronic goon.
Gawd! Am luving this! U̶̲̥̅̊ just luv the attention ryt?! Did U̶̲̥̅̊ lack affection from ur parents as a toddler? Go f**k urself..U̶̲̥̅̊ obviously know nothing about cars.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fake Transfer From A Rider / Swap Your Dead Or Weak Inverter Batteries For A New One! / Valeo Unveils Camera Tech That Allows Drivers To See The Back Of Their Trailers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.