Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? (18002 Views)

Photo: Is This The Best Way Of Securing Your Car From Theft? / What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? / What Measure Is Being Put In Place To Avoid Buying A Stolen Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by erico2k2(m): 7:46am On Nov 27, 2012
chucky234: TIPS:-
1. Assess the damage. Before you
attempt any type of repair, see
how bad the damage is. If the
damage is going to cost more
than the total worth of the car,
then it is not salvageable.
2. Start by fixing the engine. This is
the main concern with a flood-
damaged vehicle. If there is water
in the engine, then you should
not drive it. Instead, have it towed
to an engine repair shop.
3. Drain the transmission and oil
pans of the flood damaged car.
Once they have been drained, you
can replace the oil and
transmission fluid.
4. Allow the brake system to be
dried and inspected. Brake fluid
also needs to be replaced.
5. Give the interior of the car time to
dry out. It is likely that a mildew
smell will linger once it has dried.
In this case, take the car to an
upholstery repair shop. They can
rip out the old material, dry it out
and replace it.
Brov, Im in this boat, my friend helped me to buy a 2003 Jeep liberty, car was at the port of NJ when the storm strock, now there was an Email by grimaldi saying the cars should be removed as a result of flood damage, they dont want to start the cars in the port but the shipping agent is offering them to go on a container like that at no xtra cost, they also said for them to load the car into RORO its gona cost aditional $250 embarassed, now Im stuck in decision, i think Im just gonna ask them to load it unto ROr and follow the steps you said above, waht do you recon?
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by erico2k2(m): 7:50am On Nov 27, 2012
olaeli: Nobody seems to have answer for stagger, I have a friend in the same shoe too, anyone with info about the port in NJ and NY should please post it. Thanks

Bro sorry oh, the flood got there, Im sure you would have heard it now, Im in same crap, what did you do?
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by calculusx(m): 11:00pm On Jan 03, 2013
To help you avoid cars with water damage, CARFAX offers these tips:

• Check the trunk, glove compartment, the dashboard and below the seats for signs of water damage such as silt, mud or rust.
Examine upholstery and carpeting closely; if it doesn't match the interior or fits loosely, it may have been replaced. Discolored, faded or stained materials could indicate water damage.

• Turn the ignition key and make sure that accessory and warning lights and gauges come on and work properly. Make sure the airbag and ABS lights come on.

• Test lights (interior and exterior), windshield wipers, turn signals, cigarette lighter, radio, heater and air conditioner several times to make sure they work.

• Flex some of the wires beneath the dashboard. Wet wires will become brittle upon drying and may crack.

• Take a deep breath and smell for musty odors from mildew.

• Go to a trusted mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. Always get vehicles checked BEFORE handing over any money.

• Ask to see a vehicle history report. CARFAX Vehicle History Reports can reveal many hidden problems from a vehicle's past, including flood titles, and will indicate if a vehicle has been titled/registered in at-risk areas during flood and hurricane seasons. If the seller does not offer a report, use the 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) available on the dashboard to check the car's history at Carfax.com
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Knowyaself(m): 8:46am On Jan 27, 2013
erico2k2:
Brov, Im in this boat, my friend helped me to buy a 2003 Jeep liberty, car was at the port of NJ when the storm strock, now there was an Email by grimaldi saying the cars should be removed as a result of flood damage, they dont want to start the cars in the port but the shipping agent is offering them to go on a container like that at no xtra cost, they also said for them to load the car into RORO its gona cost aditional $250 embarassed, now Im stuck in decision, i think Im just gonna ask them to load it unto ROr and follow the steps you said above, waht do you recon?
H

Please does anyone know of any auto shop in Lagos where one can fix a flooded car? My car,infiniti i35, was also caught up in the storm at Bayonne port,NJ. My forwarder has confirmed the car currently does not drive but there's no cosmetic damage.it has been loaded in a container n will be shipped to Lagos this week. The posts I'm seeing here makes the situation look very hopeless. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fake Transfer From A Rider / Swap Your Dead Or Weak Inverter Batteries For A New One! / Valeo Unveils Camera Tech That Allows Drivers To See The Back Of Their Trailers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.