Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,878 members, 7,828,124 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? (17998 Views)

Photo: Is This The Best Way Of Securing Your Car From Theft? / What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? / What Measure Is Being Put In Place To Avoid Buying A Stolen Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by ITbomb(m): 6:10pm On Oct 31, 2012
afam4eva: What is wrong with a flooded car? # justasking
The flood is mostly salt water , so the internal components would rust and modern cars being mostly electronic . . . . Hope u get am
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 6:15pm On Oct 31, 2012
afam4eva: What is wrong with a flooded car? # justasking
I tire oooo
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 6:18pm On Oct 31, 2012
ITbomb:
The flood is mostly salt water , so the internal components would rust and modern cars being mostly electronic . . . . Hope u get am
Nothing will happen to the component jare, what you are trying to say here is that the entire cars in the affected areas will put into the market for sale,the water will certainly not have major effects on the cars.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 6:22pm On Oct 31, 2012
Nobody even bother to ask the OP where his friend lives in the US before becoming an automobile analyst,or did the hurricane sandy affect the 54 states of USA.
OP put your mind at peace,your friend will not disappoint.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Lordmike: 6:28pm On Oct 31, 2012
Bros abeg recall your money before it floods aways
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Oct 31, 2012
Tell your friend to make sure the car has a clean title b4 buying and to send you the title with the BoL, he'll think you know about US cars and what title is all about that way he'll think twice b4 sending u a flooded car.

On the title you will see previous owner(s), if it's been damaged or salvage history like flood, hail etc. That should do it
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by comechop(m): 7:01pm On Oct 31, 2012
InvertedHammer: Either way, whatever the flooding did not destroy, Nigeria mechanics will.

[size=16pt]DING DING DING DINGGGG[/size]
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Moralistli(m): 7:04pm On Oct 31, 2012
Hmm, Oje why? But i have already explained to you that your car is already within your territory. Didn't i tell you that the ship conveying your car will certainly berth at Apapa wharf before 5th of Nov?
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by purplekayc(m): 7:18pm On Oct 31, 2012
Flooded? grin
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 31, 2012
Moralistli: Hmm, Oje why? But i have already explained to you that your car is already within your territory. Didn't i tell you that the ship conveying your car will certainly berth at Apapa wharf before 5th of Nov?

he probably wanted to laugh out loud grin grin grin
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 31, 2012
chucky234: Nothing will happen to the component jare, what you are trying to say here is that the entire cars in the affected areas will put into the market for sale,the water will certainly not have major effects on the cars.
Which planet do U̶̲̥̅̊ stay in ? I bet U̶̲̥̅̊ know lil about chemistry! Salt water and new generation vehicles don't go well 2gether. There are numerous fuses/circuits/sensors that will never be the same again. Besides rust will subject the suspension and other driveline components to premature wear and subsequent failure. Its not a matter of 'if', it a matter of 'when'. I once saw a 2010 Mercedes S550 4matic (w221) with less than 20k miles being listed for $22,000 (vehicles with similar specs/mileage go for around $64k), upon further investigation- i found out it was once flooded with sea water. I pity whoever ends up buying that car, it will be a nytmare to own!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by ojeffo: 8:21pm On Oct 31, 2012
@Guys! Ur responses are jst very incisive and encouraging.¶ think ¶ hv 2 wait out and see wt he will bring to me.¶ will tell him to watch out 4 dose signs of flooding jst to make him aware dt ¶ knw about all those tricks!...Again .THNX GUYS
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Lucasbalo(m): 8:22pm On Oct 31, 2012
ojeffo:
Hhhhmmm!!!! U get serious point here oo.But dis guz na my best friend oo,and ¶ dnt knw hw to go about asking him 4 refund.Funny thing is dt he has not even shown me any pictures or details of any car,and has given me many different stories each time ¶ demand 4 an update.d sms ¶ sent him d last time has never been replied.
. The best thing is to ask him for ur money back. I live in Chicago and won't even buy any used vehicle now without knowing the car history thru Carmax. I told my brother who is a chairman of one of the local govt. to hold on to his money because of the uncertainties in the U S now.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 8:31pm On Oct 31, 2012
platinumricky:
Which planet do U̶̲̥̅̊ stay in ? I bet U̶̲̥̅̊ know lil about chemistry! Salt water and new generation vehicles don't go well 2gether. There are numerous fuses/circuits/sensors that will never be the same again. Besides rust will subject the suspension and other driveline components to premature wear and subsequent failure. Its not a matter of 'if', it a matter of 'when'. I once saw a 2010 Mercedes S550 4matic (w221) with less than 20k miles being listed for $22,000 (vehicles with similar specs/mileage go for around $64k), upon further investigation- i found out it was once flooded with sea water. I pity whoever ends up buying that car, it will be a nytmare to own!
Look who is talking of chemistry,what has chemistry got to with machines? Mor0n
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by stonebridge: 8:38pm On Oct 31, 2012
1. The flooding did not happen in the 50 states of US.

2.It depends on your budget. If the money you gave the guy is pretty tight, then you may wait till Jesus comes before getting a car.

3 As for those telling you that flooded cars can be identified visually, don't be fooled because some can't be identified visually no matter how hard you try.

4. Every flooded car that passed through the insurance and sold at the auction has a record. Check the carfax and you will see it there.

5. If you are afraid of getting hurricane Sandy cars, well it may take about 3 months from now before those cars are available for sale at the auction. Some may try to buy back theirs and resale tho and there are chances that low end cars may not pass through the insurance companies because their previous owners do not have full coverage insurance.

6. Hurricane Sandy does not mean flooded cars will be higher than usual because they have flooding in the US yearly in almost every part of the country.

7. For those telling you to buy from West Coast or Texas, it doesn't matter because cars that flooded in NY can be sold in Texas or California. It depends on the insurance company that is handling it.
I hope my 2 cents helps.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by stonebridge: 8:41pm On Oct 31, 2012
chucky234: Nobody even bother to ask the OP where his friend lives in the US before becoming an automobile analyst,or did the hurricane sandy affect the 54 states of USA.
OP put your mind at peace,your friend will not disappoint.

The USA has only 50 states unless you wanna add Zamfara,Kebbi, Adamawa and Nasarawa to their states.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by ITbomb(m): 8:43pm On Oct 31, 2012
chucky234: Look who is talking of chemistry,what has chemistry got to with machines? Mor0n
Can't you see the 3 fingers pointing back at you?
Machine components are made of elements and most of the electrical / electronic parts are made of material which react in the presence of salt, water and oxygen.
U really need to brush up ur elemental chemistry before calling someone names

3 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Fhemmmy: 9:57pm On Oct 31, 2012
Babzilla:
Plus U gotta use UR nose. smell the interior for hints of dampness
Study the body for signs of rust including small envelopes of rust under the paint job

That is so true . . .
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Fhemmmy: 9:59pm On Oct 31, 2012
Super1759: I juste sent you a mail

Seen and responded back to you . . . . Looking forward to your business and we will make sure it is not Flooded ride, we have access to all Canadian rides too. . . cool
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Fhemmmy: 10:05pm On Oct 31, 2012
Golden Lady:

I'm not a car expert but this was my experience when I went through a third party to purchase my vehicle. It took a while for the guy to find the right vehicle at auction. He told me at the time people were overbidding and he was making sure he got a quality vehicle that would last. If the person you're buying from is reputable this could be a factor since cars here are going for way more than they should right now.

[b]At the end of the day, i think it is all about how much is given or set aside to buy the car . . . one of the biggest myth is that people think all cos they are buying from America / Canada, the car MUST be cheaper than the clunks that they are buying in Nigeria, people needs to be realistic that buying a ride is not as easy as they think and they cant compare the price of moving boxes they buying in Nigeria to the real thing and that some of the rides being bought on the street of Lagos or Rep. of Benin are stole ( Not to say there is not reliable one there oh, thus my saying "some"wink When you buying a ride from America / Canada . . . and buying using a reliable and trustworthy dealer, you are sure of getting what you paid for and not just by sending money to someone that knows nothing about rides . . . There are so many things that has to be inspected before buying a car, cos the dealers in the USA and that of Canada are just as dishonest as those in Nigeria . . . so you need people that knows what they looking for to help you with the purchase.[/b]
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Fhemmmy: 10:07pm On Oct 31, 2012
stonebridge: 1. The flooding did not happen in the 50 states of US.

2.It depends on your budget. If the money you gave the guy is pretty tight, then you may wait till Jesus comes before getting a car.

3 As for those telling you that flooded cars can be identified visually, don't be fooled because some can't be identified visually no matter how hard you try.

4. Every flooded car that passed through the insurance and sold at the auction has a record. Check the carfax and you will see it there.

5. If you are afraid of getting hurricane Sandy cars, well it may take about 3 months from now before those cars are available for sale at the auction. Some may try to buy back theirs and resale tho and there are chances that low end cars may not pass through the insurance companies because their previous owners do not have full coverage insurance.

6. Hurricane Sandy does not mean flooded cars will be higher than usual because they have flooding in the US yearly in almost every part of the country.

7. For those telling you to buy from West Coast or Texas, it doesn't matter because cars that flooded in NY can be sold in Texas or California. It depends on the insurance company that is handling it.
I hope my 2 cents helps.

That is always the case, people wanna get the best ride and yet dont wanna pay the price for it . . . besides sending money to some family members that are even riding the subways wont help, cos that person has no idea what to check or how to inspect a ride when they see one . . .
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Fhemmmy: 10:11pm On Oct 31, 2012
stonebridge: 1. The flooding did not happen in the 50 states of US.

I hope my 2 cents helps.

What is the ride never made it to the auction block? But just from there towed and sent to Nigeria . . . remember, Nigerians too lives in those affected states and some drives too, and instead of them losing the ride's value, they know some Nigerians that will jump for joy that they getting a good deal if they could just sell to those and pay the shipping and clear . . . Lol
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chucky234(m): 10:45pm On Oct 31, 2012
ITbomb:
Can't you see the 3 fingers pointing back at you?
Machine components are made of elements and most of the electrical / electronic parts are made of material which react in the presence of salt, water and oxygen.
U really need to brush up ur elemental chemistry before calling someone names
Did you learn that from organic or pure chemistry,which chemistry textbook explains the effect of salt,oxgen and water on machines and what are the chemistry materials contained in a machine as you have dumbly pointed out?
All major component of car panels and engines are coated with protective coatings to fight corrosion resulting from the possible reaction of chlorine,salt and oxygen and will not cost irrepairable damages to the cars.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by linearity: 11:15pm On Oct 31, 2012
It is very simple to avoid buying a flooded car...simply call or email your friend to put a stay on buying the car for now...give it say 2 to 3 months....after that period ask him to tell the dealer to pull a new carfax history report on the car he is interested in buying....

If you ask for a carfax report, all dealers in US will give you one, make sure to check the date it was pulled and if it not recent ask the dealer to pull one...if they do not have anything to hide, they will do it.

All flooded cars will have a salvaged title. The carfax report will show the history of all the original owners of the car, repair works, etc and also when the dealer bought it and the type of title the dealer got from the motor vehicle authority in that state.

If you know the car vin# you can also pull the report yourself, but there is no need...if a car dealer refuses to give you a free carfax report take a walk.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by GoldenLady1: 12:59am On Nov 01, 2012
Fhemmmy:

At the end of the day, i think it is all about how much is given or set aside to buy the car . . . When you buying a ride from America / Canada . . . and buying using a reliable and trustworthy dealer, you are sure of getting what you paid for and not just by sending money to someone that knows nothing about rides . . . There are so many things that has to be inspected before buying a car . . . so you need people that knows what they looking for to help you with the purchase.

Agreed. I initially saved up $3000 for a vehicle but the vehicle I ended up getting was $6000. I've had the car almost a year with no problems. So, the amount of money you can spend is [/b]very[b] important.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by MissCorrection: 1:08am On Nov 01, 2012
ojeffo: i pre ordered a car from a friend whose brother is based in the united states,and he is yet to deliver the vehicle,and im not even sur if he has purchased it.My fears now is that he may just finally get me a flooded car,which might develop very bad problems later.pls i need ur contributions.

Sure
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by MissCorrection: 1:10am On Nov 01, 2012
Super1759: I juste sent you a mail

Just
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by MissCorrection: 1:16am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: Nothing will happen to the component jare, what you are trying to say here is that the entire cars in the affected areas will put into the market for sale,the water will certainly not have major effects on the cars.

Will BE put
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by MissCorrection: 1:19am On Nov 01, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Seen and responded back to you . . . . Looking forward to your business and we will make sure it is not Flooded ride, we have access to all Canadian rides too. . . cool

not A flooded
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by chichiman: 1:22am On Nov 01, 2012
Sprumbaba: [size=14pt]You...can go to the auction website and select the car you want...The auction website will tell you (They have inspectors to tell you the condition ) what happened to the car you want to buy.[/size]

[size=18pt]CAN YOU PROVIDE THE AUCTION WEB ADDRESS, PLEASE? THANKS.[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fake Transfer From A Rider / Swap Your Dead Or Weak Inverter Batteries For A New One! / Valeo Unveils Camera Tech That Allows Drivers To See The Back Of Their Trailers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.