Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? (13098 Views)

Should Students Be Paying Tithes. / Femi Aribisala: Every Pastor Who Collects Tithes Is A Thief / Benefits Of Paying Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 08, 2012
Goshen360: ^^^

If you like laugh in tongues......Go study Hebrews 7. Therein is your deliverance!

Along with Hebrew 7, they should also study the chapters around where the tithes and burnt offerings are mentioned in the old testament, what the tithes were used for, who received and ate the tithes, and in their famous malachi, read the whole book...not just cramming malachi 3:10...and thereafter move into Acts and learn how the early christians gave.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Born2beRich1(m): 2:42pm On Nov 08, 2012
Goshen360:

I used to tithe my income but after I studied in the word, I screamed like the blind man that was made whole when Jesus healed him......"Now, I can see". God doesn't command Christians to "pay" ten percent of their income to church, the poor or even buy crops for tithe. There is NOTHING like tithe for Christians in the New Testament. If you have tithe for NT Christian, show us just one, I mean just one scripture where Christians are told to tithe. NT is based on giving, and everyman according to how he purpose in his heart and more importantly, not grudgingly nor of necessity nor compulsory....it is based on Grace bro.

So bro, what is said in the OLD TESTAMENT is irrelevant?
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Goshen360(m): 2:54pm On Nov 08, 2012
Born 2be Rich:

So bro, what is said in the OLD TESTAMENT is irrelevant?

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.....II Timothy 3:16 meaning when we teach, reproof, correct, instruct....we can quote, use and consider the length, breadth and depth of ALL scriptures to come to conclusion BUT, when God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear - Hebrews 8:13.

To answer your question, what is said in the OT is NOT irrelevant BUT it's NOT binding on Christians. In fact, you have to understand the OT in order to understand the NT. Christians have a NEW law, it is called the law of Christ or the law of Spirit in Christ Jesus. Galatians 6:2, Romans 8:2

4 Likes

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 08, 2012
dammy_king:
Listen! I will mak so much moni dat I won't even b feelin it! Nah poor pple dy always complain abt tithe.cause dy r 2 hungry 2 pay it! I sure u must b 1 of dem

lol. thank you....I'm sure you will even want to buy your way into heaven...better start saving for that too....just in case.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Goshen360(m): 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2012
JeSoul: LOL...the shamelessness of these theives is just...shameful.

Brother Goshen kiss

Sister JeSoul.....I send lots of holy kiss(es) also. At least holy kiss is allowed...... tongue II Corinthians 13:12... grin grin grin
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Born2beRich1(m): 4:06pm On Nov 08, 2012
Goshen360:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.....II Timothy 3:16 meaning when we teach, reproof, correct, instruct....we can quote, use and consider the length, breadth and depth of ALL scriptures to come to conclusion BUT, when God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear - Hebrews 8:13.

To answer your question, what is said in the OT is NOT irrelevant BUT it's NOT binding on Christians. In fact, you have to understand the OT in order to understand the NT. Christians have a NEW law, it is called the law of Christ or the law of Spirit in Christ Jesus. Galatians 6:2, Romans 8:2

Since it is not binding to christians why dont your take your bible and tear away the old testament?....Atleast it is not binding to christains and there is now a new law in the new testament...
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Born2beRich1(m): 4:06pm On Nov 08, 2012
Goshen360:

Since it is not binding to christians why dont your take your bible and tear away the old testament?....Atleast it is not binding to christains and there is now a new law in the new testament...
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by PastorKun(m): 4:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
Born 2be Rich:

Hypocrite so how many of these binding laws do you keep do you still offer burnt sacrifices or observe the sabbath? On what basis are you cherry picking tithes out of the over 600 mosaic laws in the old testament? Even at that are you keeping it the way it was stated in scripture or are you twisting it to suit the purpose of your MOG?

2 Likes

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by debosky(m): 4:41pm On Nov 08, 2012
While not required by scripture, there's nothing wrong in children 'tithing' per se, as long as it's not being done in the legalistic 'you MUST do it or else Mr devourer is coming for you' spirit.

If it teaches the kids to acknowledge God and give to Him then it serves a good purpose. As always, the context is key. I had one of those tithing cards as a kid that you gave offering in and got returned to you each Sunday with a tally of how much you had given. I never regarded it as a legalistic MUST do (despite the Malachi 3:10 printed at the bottom of the card grin).

To me it was just a good way to keep record of your giving and an easy way to spot if anyone had been pilfering from the basket.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by chiteny(m): 5:19pm On Nov 08, 2012
Lordave: The church must be Living Faith... grin

You got it wrong. It's not Living Faith cheesy
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 08, 2012
the children shouldn't have to 'tithe' at all. freewill giving? Yes. Tithe? No. The problem I have with that definition is that it must be 10% minimum. they should be taught that giving can be any percentage: 1% to whatever their hearts want to give... and that their donations are going towards the care of the needy...not to magically make them rich...like some pastors teach.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by dammyking1(m): 5:36pm On Nov 08, 2012
Sunny_bobo:

I'm not arguing with you on the proprieatary of paying or not paying. That'll be a story for another day. The portion of the bible i referenced above, gives instruction on how to spend your tithe. I have never seen a portion of the bible that said you should give your tithe to your pastor.

It clearly says you should eat your tithe in the house Of God with strangers, fatherless, widows, poor etc not forgetting the Levites(pastors) because they have no inheritance among you.

The only reason the Levites (pastors) were to partake in eating the tithe was because they owned no property among the others as they lived in the temple as full time workers and had no source of income or inheritance. Pastors today have businesses, inherit parents properties, work, receive salaries or allowances. What I'm saying in essence is that the scripture clearly states that tithe should be used mainly on the poor and needy in the society.
See wat u r sayin "givin tithe to pastor" is it d pastor collectin or d house of God
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by xandy84: 5:36pm On Nov 08, 2012
dammy_king: Malachi 3:10 : "bring ye all the tithes into my storehouse,that there may be meat in mine house.and "PROVE ME NOW" here wihtin, saith the lord of host,if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing,that there shall not be roon enough to receive"........readin dis scripture ans all d question.infact it is d ans to ur financial problem. Imagine God said "PROVE ME".he put his integrity on d line!! Nd u stil tink said pastor r scamming u! Its pathetic! God is a respecter of no man so even if it is a chill,God has said he will bless him/her nd dr shall nt b room enuf 2 receive!!!

Mr, that old testament but we are under grace now... Read your bible
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 08, 2012
dammy_king:
See wat u r sayin "givin tithe to pastor" is it d pastor collectin or d house of God

what does the 'house of God' do with all the tithe collections?

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 08, 2012
debrief08: I will teach my boys to share, give to the poor and respect others, I will teach them to work hard with their hands, be content and live simple lives not to be greedy and lazy believing God to be a money doubler.
I will teach them that they cannot serve a God they dont see if they dont serve the least among their brethren.
I will teach them to read the bible worship God in truth and not for benefits and miracles

can you reserve one of your boys for my beautiful daughter? I promise I will teach her all these things too.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by sarutobie(m): 5:45pm On Nov 08, 2012
uhonmora:

I wonder. if they insist on practicing tithing (which according to their unwritten rule is 10% and above), why can't they tell members to use the money to buy bags of rice, beans, cow, clothes, e.t.c and distribute to the needy. bring these things in your car when you come to church. Cook the foodstuff and slaughter the goat or chicken and then invite all the the poor people to come eat or distribute the raw foodstuff to those who need it. they should do away with cash, make it voluntary and not threaten people who don't have to give..

if they all did this everyweek, less people will have issues with tithing

sigh.
My guy,even if all these were done,people(non believers) will still find something to talk about..even Christ was accused and persecuted after raising people from the dead,teaching good morals,feeding people,healing the sick..the human mind is naturally unsatiable
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by debosky(m): 5:45pm On Nov 08, 2012
uhonmora: the children shouldn't have to 'tithe' at all. freewill giving? Yes. Tithe? No. The problem I have with that definition is that it must be 10% minimum. they should be taught that giving can be any percentage: 1% to whatever their hearts want to give... and that their donations are going towards the care of the needy...not to magically make them rich...like some pastors teach.

I understand and agree your position, but some use the word 'tithe' very loosely when it comes to kids, and whatever they are 'tithing' is what was given to them anyways. The manner in which the 'tithing' is encouraged is what matters the most.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 08, 2012
debosky:

I understand and agree your position, but some use the word 'tithe' very loosely when it comes to kids, and whatever they are 'tithing' is what was given to them anyways. The manner in which the 'tithing' is encouraged is what matters the most.

the manner is what matters and I agree with that too... but one day, these kids will grow up and understand what the tithe is...and the deceit continues.

don't think these pastors do not know what they are doing when they encourage children to pay 'tithes'.

indeed, they are training up a child in the way he should go...

but it's their way.

why do you think adults find it difficult to let go of the belief? they have been taught over and over and over again since they became Christian...some of them even from childhood...some will even quote malachi 3:8-12 in their sleep.

2 Likes

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Tgirl4real(f): 6:00pm On Nov 08, 2012
CrazyMan: Tithing is a scam and should be eradicated.

Mogs of our generation have turned God's house into a business center...I think its high time the EFCC starts probing them one after the other.

U are right there.

@ post, how can u ask children to do something datz even wrong for adults.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by chiteny(m): 6:27pm On Nov 08, 2012
uhonmora:

what does the 'house of God' do with all the tithe collections?

See queshun. Go ask your pastor na make them excommunicate you from church.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
chiteny:

lol. they will see me as a false teacher...probably give me some slaps if I say I am questioning under the authority of Jesus...

and then condemn me to hell if I refuse to stop questioning.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by dammyking1(m): 8:03pm On Nov 08, 2012
chiteny:

Tank u o!!! Mak I even list am! Free bus service!!! 2 rent 1 coaster bus evry sunday nah 20k! Nd my church rents mor dan 5.2 put our programme on tv cost 250k every week'' u go buy diesel o! Pay workers nd many mor!!!
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Smooyis(m): 8:11pm On Nov 08, 2012
Hmmmm. Things of God does not need arguements. Malachi 3: 9-10 has said it all. Every christian is to pay tithe. There is actually no particular age limit. But d moment u are conscious of a divine provider in God then u are to honour Him in with ur substance. Age is not a barrier. We have children who are more Godly in deeds than their parents. How old was samuel when he began in d service of d Lord? So it is necessary we educate our children about tithe. Its not only on income that we should pay tithe but on all the good things God has given you, including gifts, time, strenght, love, talents, etc. Also when we pay tithe, we should bother less about what the pastor does with it. You can only be bothered if u are paying ur tithe to ur pastor rather than to God. You cannot be a judge over ur own matter. Rather let God be. Christianity is a thing of d mind.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 08, 2012
dammy_king:
Tank u o!!! Mak I even list am! Free bus service!!! 2 rent 1 coaster bus evry sunday nah 20k! Nd my church rents mor dan 5.2 put our programme on tv cost 250k every week'' u go buy diesel o! Pay workers nd many mor!!!

if you ask your members to donate voluntarily to these things, will they say no? and why must church workers be paid salaries from the church offering?

can't they work from Monday to friday...like everyone else?
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 08, 2012
Smooyis: Hmmmm. Things of God does not need arguements. Malachi 3: 9-10 has said it all. Every christian is to pay tithe. There is actually no particular age limit. But d moment u are conscious of a divine provider in God then u are to honour Him in with ur substance. Age is not a barrier. We have children who are more Godly in deeds than their parents. How old was samuel when he began in d service of d Lord? So it is necessary we educate our children about tithe. Its not only on income that we should pay tithe but on all the good things God has given you, including gifts, time, strenght, love, talents, etc. Also when we pay tithe, we should bother less about what the pastor does with it. You can only be bothered if u are paying ur tithe to ur pastor rather than to God. You cannot be a judge over ur own matter. Rather let God be. Christianity is a thing of d mind.

the tithing practice has been abolished. we are now to give voluntarily whether to the poor or in support of the local church...and we will not be cursed if we can't give up to 10%.

you see what I'm saying, tell christians that they are no longer under the law of tithing and they automatically quote malachi 3:10....without even understanding the verse.

we shouldn't ask what the pastor does with the tithe?..that's what they tell you to keep you in ignorance because they do not want their deeds to be exposed.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by jovychika(f): 9:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
I thought as christian,we are suppose to be following jesus footstep but how come jesus never paid tithes and he even had to borrow to feed the 5000 men.from what i have read about jesus in the bible,i personally think he prefer charity to tithes
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by bolayei: 9:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
I WONDER WHEN NIGERIANS WILL PRACTISE CHRISTIANITY THE RIGHT WAY...,KIDS SHOULDNT PAY TITHES BECAUSE THEY DONT EARN INCOME. LAST TIME I CHECKED ITS 10% OF YOUR INCOME I UNDERSTAND IF PARENTS GIVE KIDS MONEY TO PAY OFFERINGS BUT THAT OFFERING IS NOTHING IT ONLY BECOMES SOMETHING BECAUSE IT ADDS UP. KIDS AINT MEANT TO PAY TITHES EVEN CELEB KIDS BECAUSE THEY CANT LEGALLY CONTROL THEIR MONEY
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 08, 2012
buhak: the bible said train up your child the way he should go and when he grow up he will never depart from it. is your chioce, do what you like please

I guess you were trained up to be a fool then. No wonder you wont stop paying tithe even at you old age. Fool!
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
Even Isaac pid tithe when he was in abraham's loins. Its the way forward. Encourage your children to be a partaker of moving the kingdom of God.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 08, 2012
kopite: Even Isaac pid tithe when he was in abraham's loins. Its the way forward. Encourage your children to be a partaker of moving the kingdom of God.

...more like moving the kingdom of greedy men here on earth.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by esere826: 1:37am On Nov 09, 2012
kopite: Even Isaac pid tithe when he was in abraham's loins. Its the way forward. Encourage your children to be a partaker of moving the kingdom of God.

And Adam in whose loins, Abraham was, did not pay tithes!!!!!

Don't you guys get it?!!!!!!
If u want to pay tithes, go ahead and do so
I actually feel its a good thing for the gospel's sake despite the greed of some pastors
just dont try to twist the bible into accepting your tithing narrative
the logic doesn't hold water from whatsoever angle you consider it
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 6:25am On Nov 09, 2012
The Lesson christians should learn from Malachi:

The sacrifices of a broken heart, a contrite spirit, and a willingness to always obey are always acceptable to God.

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat [bread— pure and fine bread—not polluted bread of a carnal
mind filled with evil deeds and doctrines], and prove Me now herewith, says the Lord
of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of HEAVEN [‘For the bread of God is heavenly which come down from heaven… For I came down from heaven...I am the bread which came down from heaven… John 6:33,38,41]

... and pour you out a blessing [Jesus Christ, The Bread of Life is this blessing], that there shall not be room [‘Now unto Him that is able to do EXCEEDING ABUNDANTLY {Gk: SUPEREXCESSIVELY—superabundantly, superexceedingly, superaboundingly} ABOVE ALL THAT WE ASK OR THINK ’ Eph. 3:20 ] to receive it" ( Mal. 3:10 ).
God is saying to us: "Give Me your pure bread offerings of a "broken heart,
contrite spirit, and attitude of obedience," and I will give you, "The TRUE BREAD OF LIFE from HEAVEN ."

Now there, dear reader, is a blessing beyond our ability to make "room to receive it." Jesus Christ is the True Bread in God’s house. Jesus Christ is the
personification of LOVE, LIGHT AND LIFE.

And the priests of Christendom would have us believe that God’s message through Malachi is a quest for MORE MONEY! Unbelievable!

Obedience to the Law of Moses, the Sacrifices and the many Ordinances was to bring physical prosperity, safety from
enemies, healthy children, and a long life in the land , followed by death.

God never really did want animal sacrifices, but the sacrifices of a "broken and contrite heart and spirit."

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

6 Days To The Appearance Of Jesus Christ (13th September 2015) / The Reasons People Convert From Christianity To Islam / Which Is Wrong: From The Christian's Perspective?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.