Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,364 members, 7,815,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War (17799 Views)

God Is Protecting Israel Complains Hamas Terrorists / PHOTO: Injured Hamas Terrorist Is Taken To Israeli Hospital / Hamas Military Chief Killed In Israeli Airstrike, War Says Hamas!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by manugbo(m): 8:36pm On Nov 18, 2012
IRAN IS EVIL, THEY WANT TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by SmoothLIFE: 8:36pm On Nov 18, 2012
You dumb ignorant Haratins need to worry about yourselves!! Help your brothers in Mauritania and the Sahel who are currently slaves and leave the Asians to solve their own problems!! grin grin grin grin

I will end by saying ONLY Ghanaian RULE can SAVE West Africa!! I'm ready to lead!!

1 Like

Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by lukzy500: 8:40pm On Nov 18, 2012
la furia: iran hasnt attacked nor invaded any country yet but we see them as evil. while the US and isreal who are commiting war crimes arent doing evil. am trying to understand something here, is it that iran supporting hamas is wrong? and wat makes it wrong.? who are the largest suppliers of arms in world 2day? is it iran? my point is iran can supply hamass watever weapons hamass need just like US supplying isreal with arms. the isreal - palestine conflict didnt start 2day. hamass cant win the war for sure, like the nigerian adage goes, he who says his mother wont sleep, himself wont sleep.
Pls who is the terroist in dis place.d world wnt talk now dat it is christians dat are kiLling if muslims stand up and defend den d worl willl call muslims terrorist .who's fooling who
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by AfroBlue(m): 8:41pm On Nov 18, 2012
U.S. Aid to Israel Equals $4.9 Million a Day for 64 Years

http://www.allgov.com/news/us-and-the-world/us-aid-to-israel-equals-49-million-a-day-for-64-years?news=844307

No one can say the U.S. hasn’t been generous towards Israel since it was founded in 1948.

Over a period of 64 years (including the 2013 budget request), the U.S. has given Israel more than $115 billion in military and foreign aid, which averages out to about $4.9 million a day.

American and Israeli officials are currently negotiating a new aid deal that would provide more money for a new missile defense program, Iron Dome. Previous funding requests approved $205 million for the project, and Israel is trying to secure at least that much if not more for future years.

Although some Republicans have tried to portray President Barack Obama as soft on Israel, his budget for Fiscal Year 2013 includes $3.1 billion in military aid for Israel, the most in 13 years.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by AfroBlue(m): 8:45pm On Nov 18, 2012
Incredible footage from Jerusalem in 1896 | Jews, Muslims, Christians living under the Ottomans

Incredible footage of Palestine and Jerusalem from the year 1896. Muslims, Jews and Christians lived next to each other and peacefully under the auspices of the Ottoman (Uthmani) Caliphate/Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT3E8yr8hoM

2 Likes

Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by honeric01(m): 8:45pm On Nov 18, 2012
dnawah: what kind of chritian are u?please pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

A practicing christian and not a ceremonial christian. peace of Jerusalem? sorry what is Jerusalem again? the same land where Christians are in the minority?

1 Like

Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by honeric01(m): 8:48pm On Nov 18, 2012
jusRadical:

Stop spewing rubbish! Who told you that hamas is poorly armed. How did they get the rockets? Stop decieving yourself. Every war has its consequences and the palestinians are facing theirs. If they know that Israel is more equipped than they are, why fire rockets at them? Why not put pressure on the international community. The gaza strip that Israel gave to them, was it got by their firing rockets into Israel? Don't be a hypocrite.

Dude, it's best to be quiet if you know nothing about what's being discussed, how can you give what you don't own? Israel gave Gaza to Palestine? you mean someone can give you your own car?
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by 4Play(m): 9:00pm On Nov 18, 2012
honeric01:
Dude, it's best to be quiet if you know nothing about what's being discussed, how can you give what you don't own? Israel gave Gaza to Palestine? you mean someone can give you your own car?

In practical terms, Israel gave Gaza to Palestinians in 2005 as that year marked the first time in centuries, if not in eternity, that the territory making up Gaza was run by Palestinians. Remember that Israel captured Gaza in 1967 from Egypt not from Palestinians.

What is remarkable is that instead of the Palestinians utilising this unique opportunity to improve their lives, they have installed a group in Hamas who are sworn to the destruction of Israel and spent the greater part of their new found autonomy lobbing rockets from Gaza whilst reaping the attendant military consequences from Israel.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by honeric01(m): 9:07pm On Nov 18, 2012
4 Play:

In practical terms, Israel gave Gaza to Palestinians in 2005 as that year marked the first time in centuries, if not in eternity, that the territory making up Gaza was run by Palestinians. Remember that Israel captured Gaza in 1967 from Egypt not from Palestinians.

What is remarkable is that instead of the Palestinians utilising this unique opportunity to improve their lives, they have installed a group in Hamas who are sworn to the destruction of Israel and spent the greater part of their new found autonomy lobbing rockets from Gaza whilst reaping the attendant military consequences from Israel.

You mean Gaza belongs to Egypt and not Palestine before Israel stole it, then gave it to Palestine in 2005? i don't get it. before 1947, where was Israel and where was Palestine?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_Gaza

Gaza fell to British forces during World War I, becoming a part of the British Mandate of Palestine. As a result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, Egypt administered the newly formed Gaza Strip territory and several improvements were undertaken in the city. Gaza was captured by Israel in the Six-Day War in 1967, but in 1993, the city was transferred to the Palestinian National Authority. Following the 2006 election, conflict broke out as the Fatah party seemed unwilling to transfer power to Hamas, resulting in Hamas taking power in Gaza by force. Egypt and Israel imposed a Blockade of the Gaza Strip following the 2006 Hamas cross-border raid.[5] Israel eased the blockade allowing consumer goods in June 2010, and Egypt reopened the Rafah border crossing in 2011 to pedestrians.[5][6]
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by violent(m): 9:09pm On Nov 18, 2012
jusRadical:

Stop spewing rubbish! Who told you that hamas is poorly armed. How did they get the rockets? Stop decieving yourself. Every war has its consequences and the palestinians are facing theirs. If they know that Israel is more equipped than they are, why fire rockets at them? Why not put pressure on the international community. The gaza strip that Israel gave to them, was it got by their firing rockets into Israel? Don't be a hypocrite.

Yeah they have a couple of rockets, some stones, a few guns, probably even some helicopters and i bet that measures up as being well armed?

Put pressure on International community? LOL!!! are you smoking canabis plus sugar? which international community? the ones who are friends with Israel? How many times have the United States vetoed a resolution condemning Israel's actions?

Phew!
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by 4Play(m): 9:16pm On Nov 18, 2012
honeric01:

You mean Gaza belongs to Egypt and not Palestine before Israel stole it, then gave it to Palestine in 2005? i don't get it. before 1947, where was Israel and where was Palestine?

Israel captured Gaza from Egypt in 1967.

Before 1947, there were no countries called Palestine or Israel. Israel is a creation of outside powers, the League of Nations, in somewhat the same way that many African nations have been created by Western fiat. Nigeria is a sovereign entity created by the UK for instance.

Up until recently, various Arab states such as Egypt, Syria and Jordan claimed sovereignty over various parts of what is now proposed to be the components of a proposed Palestinian state. The point is that there has never been a Palestinian state and that the Palestinians should have recognised that the cession of territory to them for the first time in their history should have been seen as an historic opportunity instead as a platform to wage perpetual war which they have no chance of winning.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by 4Play(m): 9:22pm On Nov 18, 2012
As a result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, Egypt administered the newly formed Gaza Strip territory and several improvements were undertaken in the city. Gaza was captured by Israel in the Six-Day War in 1967, but in 1993, the city was transferred to the Palestinian National Authority.

The above quote answers your question. Egypt ran Gaza until 1967 and no thought was given to handing control of it to the Palestinians. Instead, it was run as part of the state of Egypt. It was the Israelis who gave the Palestinians Gaza. I said 2005 as that was when the Israeli military ceased occupation and removed Jewish settlements in Gaza.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by larride(m): 9:25pm On Nov 18, 2012
I don't get something, so Hamas is not well equipped to Israel and they are firing rockets at them? What does it hope to gain? Why fight someone you have zero chance of winning? I still don't understand that fact. You don't fire rockets upon rockets into another state and expect no retaliation. Make no mistake, if Israel does the same thing, then whatever consequence they get, they should face it. You don't start what you can't handle and start shouting genocide.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by 4Play(m): 9:32pm On Nov 18, 2012
violent:
Yeah they have a couple of rockets, some stones, a few guns, probably even some helicopters and i bet that measures up as being well armed?

I find this talk of the Israelis being better armed than the Palestinians and which is offered as evidence of Israel being in the wrong as irrational. Would Israel achieve moral equivalence by lobbing hundreds of rockets, as the Palestinians do, into Gaza indiscriminately? If Israel were to do this, the casualties incurred by the residents of Gaza would be even higher than it is today.

Israel is not in occupation of Gaza and there is no justification for the authorities in Gaza to continue to launch rockets at Israel when, even the sympathisers of the Palestinians will admit, there is nothing to be gained from this. The root of the problem stems from an ideological and theocratic stance which sees Jewish presence on Muslim land as an abomination. You only have to read Hamas's charter to see that they are sworn to Israel's destruction. It is not Israel's duty to accommodate the religious fanaticism of the Palestinian rulers in Gaza.

4 Likes

Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by eggheaders(m): 9:35pm On Nov 18, 2012
larride: I don't get something, so Hamas is not well equipped to Israel and they are firing rockets at them? What does it hope to gain? Why fight someone you have zero chance of winning? I still don't understand that fact. You don't fire rockets upon rockets into another state and expect no retaliation. Make no mistake, if Israel does the same thing, then whatever consequence they get, they should face it. You don't start what you can't handle and start shouting genocide.

they have to defend there lands and dignity.or you want them to fold there hands and wait for death.sorry I remember your religion preaches turning the other cheek for a salvo slap.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by 4Play(m): 9:40pm On Nov 18, 2012
eggheaders:
they have to defend there lands and dignity.or you want them to fold there hands and wait for death.sorry I remember your religion preaches turning the other cheek for a salvo slap.

How is the objective of defending their land enhanced by inviting Israeli airstrikes unto their land? Lets face it, if there are no rockets from Gaza there will be no airstrikes from Israel. Neither the defence of Gaza or the dignity of its resident is enhanced by inviting pulverisation by the Israel air force. I think if you were honest that you will admit that this is a case of religious fanaticism run amok. We see that with Boko Haram who have stated objectives, converting Nigeria into an Islamic state, that have no chance of being actualised. Perpetual conflict has become the end in itself for Islamo-fascists.

2 Likes

Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by eggheaders(m): 9:43pm On Nov 18, 2012
at moderator hide more post to discredit your Zionist masters.and giving us 1 hr ban for saying the truth. God is watching you.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 18, 2012
honeric01: As a christian, you can't fool me, i know those destabilizing the peace in the middle east, they remain the land grabbers and the boastful Zionist who believe because they took over Canaan and Jericho, they have the right to trample upon any land they see.

Only scavengers steal and invade other people's properties.

I am still asking this question, Israel is counted as an European nation, yet the world sited them in the middle east, if this was not an act to make the world destabilized, why didn't the western nations site Israel in their own lands? America is very big, Canada too, why not relocate Israel to your own lands and let the Palestine be? why invade their lands and expect them to laugh with you.

I am waiting for someone here to tell me that Israel own that land.
From what you have written there are proves you have no single idea about Middle East but quick to post your comment here as if you have enough evidences to back it up. Can you also prove to me how come about the generation of Israelites talked about in the Bible and other history book with reference to Jerusalem and the huge part of the present location of Israel? Leaving out the ones seized during different wars.

I don't like people who are biased, lopsided in their approach and expect everybody to accept their argument based on some sentiments. From the look of things the Israelis of today parents are the Israelites of ancient time and most part of those land where theirs. They are like lost children come back home. You can see the Israelis of today as the prodigal sons. If not for that I don't see any where significant the Islamic ideology and doctrines which are dubbed from Judaism can be more significant to that region than those who possess them the Jews all rather the Israelis of today. I don't want to hear people laying claim to the Israelis of today are not Israelites. If they are not Israelites of ancient . Can you point to what happened to Israelites of ancient in that region?

To stay on topic Israelis have right to protect themselves against barrages of salvos and Iranian made missiles in whatever way deemed fit by them. The truth is that innocent people will suffer and I quite know Hamas are aware of that before going on their tirades and missiles launch into Israel.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by prettyboi1(m): 9:52pm On Nov 18, 2012
D-nistelro:
no bro u are a pure pagan
You call me "pagan" because of some people so far away that don't even give a damn about you or anybody that looks like you? Damn, people like you are really slaves. Kill your fellow black brothers who aren't from your tribe or religion because of your masters o. Bingo come here, your American & Israeli masters need you to come suck their joystick. What are you waiting for? Phucking slave.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by Nobody: 9:58pm On Nov 18, 2012
pretty_boi:
You call me "pagan" because of some people so far away that don't even give a damn about you or anybody that looks like you? Damn, people like you are really slaves. Kill your fellow black brothers who aren't from your tribe or religion because of your masters o. Bingo come here, your American & Israeli masters need you to come suck their joystick. What are you waiting for? Phucking slave.
Why leave the Arab masters out of it too? Biased individual like you. I got ya!

1 Like

Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by eggheaders(m): 9:59pm On Nov 18, 2012
4 Play:

How is the objective of defending their land enhanced by inviting Israeli airstrikes unto their land? Lets face it, if there are no rockets from Gaza there will be no airstrikes from Israel. Neither the defence of Gaza or the dignity of its resident is enhanced by inviting pulverisation by the Israel air force. I think if you were honest that you will admit that this is a case of religious fanaticism run amok. We see that with Boko Haram who have stated objectives, converting Nigeria into an Islamic state, that have no chance of being actualised. Perpetual conflict has become the end in itself for Islamo-fascists.

the constant harassment and selective killing of innocent Gazans by the idf, blockade of all routes leading to Gaza.and the reason for the latest milieu the killing of the innocent boy playing football.when you push even goats beyond the wall they fight back talkless of humans.and to boko assumption talks.it has been proven to be political than religion.every religion gat it dissidents too . or do the extreme views of lra Joseph kony,kkk skinheads,Ireland revolutionary guards(Protestant),Knight Templar and Amish goon in southern part of america represent the teaching of Christianity??. and please research about Islam and stop taking all the lies from mainstream media hook line sinker.peace man.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by honeric01(m): 10:07pm On Nov 18, 2012
4 Play:

Israel captured Gaza from Egypt in 1967.

Before 1947, there were no countries called Palestine or Israel. Israel is a creation of outside powers, the League of Nations, in somewhat the same way that many African nations have been created by Western fiat. Nigeria is a sovereign entity created by the UK for instance.

Up until recently, various Arab states such as Egypt, Syria and Jordan claimed sovereignty over various parts of what is now proposed to be the components of a proposed Palestinian state. The point is that there has never been a Palestinian state and that the Palestinians should have recognised that the cession of territory to them for the first time in their history should have been seen as an historic opportunity instead as a platform to wage perpetual war which they have no chance of winning.

Check up what i posted on this already.

Gaza fell to British forces during World War I, becoming a part of the British Mandate of Palestine. As a result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, Egypt administered the newly formed Gaza Strip territory and several improvements were undertaken in the city. Gaza was captured by Israel in the Six-Day War in 1967, but in 1993, the city was transferred to the Palestinian National Authority. Following the 2006 election, conflict broke out as the Fatah party seemed unwilling to transfer power to Hamas, resulting in Hamas taking power in Gaza by force. Egypt and Israel imposed a Blockade of the Gaza Strip following the 2006 Hamas cross-border raid.[5] Israel eased the blockade allowing consumer goods in June 2010, and Egypt reopened the Rafah border crossing in 2011 to pedestrians.[5][6]

There was no time Israel owned Gaza, rather they kept stealing it either through world decree or force. (Like colonization)

Can you answer this question honestly? were was Israel prior to 1947? BTW, was there anything like Israel prior to 1947?if there was, where was she situated?
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by honeric01(m): 10:07pm On Nov 18, 2012
all4naija: From what you have written there are proves you have no single idea about Middle East but quick to post your comment here as if you have enough evidences to back it up. Can you also prove to me how come about the generation of Israelites talked about in the Bible and other history book with reference to Jerusalem and the huge part of the present location of Israel? Leaving out the ones seized during different wars.

I don't like people who are biased, lopsided in their approach and expect everybody to accept their argument based on some sentiments. From the look of things the Israelis of today parents are the Israelites of ancient time and most part of those land where theirs. They are like lost children come back home. You can see the Israelis of today as the prodigal sons. If not for that I don't see any where significant the Islamic ideology and doctrines which are dubbed from Judaism can be more significant to that region than those who possess them the Jews all rather the Israelis of today. I don't want to hear people laying claim to the Israelis of today are not Israelites. If they are not Israelites of ancient . Can you point to what happened to Israelites of ancient in that region?

To stay on topic Israelis have right to protect themselves against barrages of salvos and Iranian made missiles in whatever way deemed fit by them. The truth is that innocent people will suffer and I quite know Hamas are aware of that before going on their tirades and missiles launch into Israel.

I don't have time for sentimental poster like you.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 18, 2012
eggheaders:

the constant harassment and selective killing of innocent Gazans by the idf, blockade of all routes leading to Gaza.and the reason for the latest milieu the killing of the innocent boy playing football.when you push even goats beyond the wall they fight back talkless of humans.and to boko assumption talks.it has been proven to be political than religion.every religion gat it dissidents too . or do the extreme views of lra Joseph kony,kkk skinheads,Ireland revolutionary guards(Protestant),Knight Templar and Amish goon in southern part of america represent the teaching of Christianity??. and please research about Islam and stop taking all the lies from mainstream media hook line sinker.peace man.
Stop making noise! Go and see what Arabs are doing to blacks in their lands you will know some are primitively wicked. I have seen blacks stoned from rooftops with my own eyes on visiting some Middle-Eastern countries.Please, spare us this sentiment. Some of those kids are potential Hamas indoctrinated to incite troubles! If you don't believe it it is left for you.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 18, 2012
honeric01:

I don't have time for sentimental poster like you.
Lol... You don't have the time because that is what you do,sentimental. Somebody has already proved you wrong!
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by 4Play(m): 10:32pm On Nov 18, 2012
honeric01:

Check up what i posted on this already.

There was no time Israel owned Gaza, rather they kept stealing it either through world decree or force. (Like colonization)

Can you answer this question honestly? were was Israel prior to 1947? BTW, was there anything like Israel prior to 1947?if there was, where was she situated?

I am struggling to see what your point is. I have posted several times that Israel captured Gaza in 1967 from Egypt before handing it over to the Palestinians in 2005, I say 2005 as that is when they pulled all troops out of Gaza. Israel has never owned Gaza and does not claim to own Gaza. Not one inch of Gaza territory is occupied or claimed by Israel today.

Prior to Egypt taking over Gaza, Gaza was run by the British who captured it from the Ottoman Turks during the Fist World War. The article you have posted clearly shows this. Neither, the Egyptians, the British or the Turks are Palestinian, hence, Israel's action of handing over control to the Palestinians marked the first time in history that the Palestinians were able to exercise sovereignty over Gaza.

As for where Israel was prior to 1947, Israel did not exist as a country. However, neither did Palestine. Effectively, what has happened is that just as Nigeria has been created by Western fiat, Israel was created by fiat too. Not sure what relevance that has with why Gazans choose to lob rockets into their neighbour's territory when this hardly advances their cause. Israel does not want Gaza so one cannot make the argument that the people of Gaza are resisting Isreali aggression when they attack a state that has ceded control to Gazans.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by eggheaders(m): 10:33pm On Nov 18, 2012
who is saying Arabs ain't gat some skinheads.FYI they are better than the isrealites in manifolds.I know peeps on scholarship in the Islamic university of Medina and king Fahd university of science and technology on Saudi government bills.my friend sister has been in Saudi since 2003 and still loving the place. mind you she is a Christian. my boss husband lives in Egypt and she spends her leave from work there I gat first hand information about the place.compared to isrealite.Eli yishai isreal interior minister called blacks infiltrators.and urge citizens that attacking and looting dem is a service to God. isreal has a prison for blacks called saharonim prision and Almaz cemetery on the Sinai for you black folks.where they replenish there stock for lab rats and Guinea pigs for testing there latest military hardware. onces again Google isayas teklebrhan for more insight.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by eggheaders(m): 10:46pm On Nov 18, 2012
WWW.bintjbeil.com/E/occupation/mandella.html

http://mycontinent.co/infiltrators.php

for more insight
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by honeric01(m): 10:50pm On Nov 18, 2012
4 Play:

I am struggling to see what your point is. I have posted several times that Israel captured Gaza in 1967 from Egypt before handing it over to the Palestinians in 2005, I say 2005 as that is when they pulled all troops out of Gaza. Israel has never owned Gaza and does not claim to own Gaza. Not one inch of Gaza territory is occupied or claimed by Israel today.

Prior to Egypt taking over Gaza, Gaza was run by the British who captured it from the Ottoman Turks during the Fist World War. The article you have posted clearly shows this. Neither, the Egyptians, the British or the Turks are Palestinian, hence, Israel's action of handing over control to the Palestinians marked the first time in history that the Palestinians were able to exercise sovereignty over Gaza.

As for where Israel was prior to 1947, Israel did not exist as a country. However, neither did Palestine. Effectively, what has happened is that just as Nigeria has been created by Western fiat, Israel was created by fiat too. Not sure what relevance that has with why Gazans choose to lob rockets into their neighbour's territory when this hardly advances their cause. Israel does not want Gaza so one cannot make the argument that the people of Gaza are resisting Isreali aggression when they attack a state that has ceded control to Gazans.

Wait o.. i no wan over-type this night, so lemme stick to line-liner.

Israel does not want Gaza yet they are building into Gaza and taking over more of the lands?

When i have time, i will get to expand more on this. in the meantime, kindly go through this rigorously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel

Following the adoption of a resolution by the United Nations General Assembly on 29 November 1947, recommending the adoption and implementation of the United Nations partition plan of Mandatory Palestine, on 14 May 1948 David Ben-Gurion, the Executive Head of the World Zionist Organization[8] and president of the Jewish Agency for Palestine, declared "the establishment of a Jewish state in Eretz Israel, to be known as the State of Israel", a state independent upon the termination of the British Mandate for Palestine, 15 May 1948.[9][10][11] Neighboring Arab states invaded the next day in support of the Palestinian Arabs. Israel has since fought several wars with neighboring Arab states,[12] in the course of which it has occupied the West Bank, Sinai Peninsula (between 1967 and 1982), Gaza Strip and the Golan Heights. Portions of these territories, including East Jerusalem, have been annexed by Israel, but the border with the neighboring West Bank has not yet been permanently defined.[neutrality is disputed][13][14][15][16][17] Israel has signed peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan, but efforts to resolve the Israeli–Palestinian conflict have so far not resulted in peace.
Re: 8 - Questions About The New Israel - Hamas War by Nobody: 10:59pm On Nov 18, 2012
na2day!:
[size=13pt]
1. Was there an Israeli intelligence failure? There is reason to believe that the Israelis were surprised that so many Iranian-made Fajr-5 missiles had found their way into Gaza. Of course, the Israelis cannot account for every single item smuggled through the tunnels connecting the Sinai Peninsula to the Gaza Strip. And the Israelis appear to know exactly what they are hunting for. But the existence of these rockets -- which one senior Israeli intelligence official calls "game changers" -- is a red line for the Israelis. The very fact that they made it into Gaza without being intercepted or destroyed, and that some have subsequently been fired deep into Israeli territory, represents a failure on some level. This could prompt an official inquiry in Israel, where the brass put a premium on learning from mistakes.

Not really, the Israelis knew those missiles had gotten to Gaza mostly through tunnels which was why they sped up the construction of Iron Dome particularly around Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. We are always too quick to ferret for "failures". the jews are damned if they do and damned if they dont. Had they chosen to attack Gaza when the missiles were first shipped in, this author would have been one of those to jump and cry about "freedom" for Gaza.

na2day!:
[size=13pt]
2. Did Turkey, Qatar, and Egypt ever have a handle on Hamas? In recent months, Turkey, Qatar, and Egypt, all closely aligned with the Muslim Brotherhood, have drawn closer to Hamas, which is itself a splinter of that group. These three governments have, in one way or another, been working to politically rehabilitate the Islamist movement and integrate it into the new regional order of the Arab Spring. From all appearances, Washington tacitly approved of this; it certainly did not publicly oppose it. The assumption was that, in light of a precipitous drop in Iranian financing and Hamas' subsequent departure from its headquarters in Syria, the group was perhaps prepared to evolve into a more pragmatic entity. With this recent round of violence, and the use of Iranian long-range missiles, we can draw two broad conclusions: Either Hamas' new patrons are behind its latest violence, or they were blindsided by it. If the latter, did they ever have Hamas under control?

This is a most silly question. Why exactly is the author wondering if turkey, Qatar and Egypt had a handle on Hamas? To say that Egypt has just "closely aligned" with the muslim brotherhood and Hamas makes no sense. Egypt is governed by the muslim brotherhood which is the parent organization for Hamas. turkey and Qatar have never had a stake in this game.

na2day!:
[size=13pt]
3. Did Iran ever relinquish its grip on Hamas? To put it another way, the reports of the demise of the Axis of Resistance (Iran-Syria-Hamas) may have been greatly exaggerated. The ties between Iran and Hamas' military apparatus, the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, date back to the early 1990s, when Hamas trained in Sudan with Iranian cooperation and assistance. With the knowledge that Iranian Fajr-5 missiles made their way to Hamas, it is reasonable to wonder if Iran ever left the scene.

I dont remember anyone ever talking about Iran relinquishing its grip on Hamas. Hezbollah, Hamas and Syria are all clients of Iran.

na2day!:
[size=13pt]
4. Did the Israelis target a cache of Fajr-5's in Sudan? Speaking of Sudan, it is widely believed that the Israeli Air Force targeted an Iranian weapons factory in Khartoum last month. Were the Israelis targeting Fajr-5 rockets there? Sudan has long been known to serve as a point of origin for Middle East smuggling routes delivering weapons to Gaza. After that operation, it is possible that Israel realized that a number of those "game-changer" missiles had already reached Gaza, suggesting the aforementioned intelligence failure. Was Gaza part two of a two-part operation that began in Sudan?

Yes they did.

na2day!:
[size=13pt]
5. Will Hamas Upstage the PLO? Even with an arsenal of more lethal rockets in its possession, Hamas has no way of winning a war with Israel. If past is prologue, Hamas' leaders know that drawing Israel into conflict will elicit punishing reprisals. So why bother? One plausible explanation is that the war is just as much about Hamas' domestic arch-rivals, the PLO, as it is about Israel. The PLO is preparing to upgrade its mission at the United Nations later this month, and in the process, claiming to speak for the Palestinian people as a whole. This current round of violence steals the thunder of the PLO; has anyone even talked about the U.N. maneuver since this round of violence erupted? It also sends a pointed message: while the PLO concocts crafty legal schemes in New York, Hamas is doing battle with Israel in the name of the Palestinian cause. Was this the intended message? If so, Washington needs to be paying closer attention to what's happening on the ground.

Ignorant question. the only reason the PLO survives in the westbank is 100% because of Israeli IDF protection. We all know what Hamas did to PLO operatives after their "election" as the governing authority in Gaza.

na2day!:
[size=13pt]
6. Where's Washington? Despite long-standing tensions between President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the White House has come out in full support of the Israeli operation in Gaza, citing Israel's right to respond to the hundreds of rockets that Hamas and other jihadis have fired off in recent days. Admittedly, many administration officials appear to be in Asia right now, but the overall message is a green light for Israel. How long will this support last?

Why is the author asking where Washington is? Washington has solidly back Israel against unprovoked missile attacks from Gaza... what else is the author asking for?

na2day!:
[size=13pt]
7. Will this impact the Israeli elections in January? Netanyahu detractors charge that the Israeli leader is using the operation in Gaza as a means of increasing voter support ahead of the upcoming elections. In reality, Bibi is the front-runner by a wide margin, and scarcely needs to rally the Israeli public around the flag. If anything, military missteps could weaken his position. As a shrewd student of Israeli politics, Bibi has undoubtedly been weighing the costs of the Gaza operation every step of the way. The Israeli voting public will tell him how he did in about two months' time.

Empty speculation.

na2day!:
[size=13pt]
8. Can a ceasefire last? On Friday, Israel's ambassador to Washington, Michael Oren, stated that the Israelis had knocked out most of the long-range missiles they were hunting, indicating that perhaps the primary mission had been accomplished. The Israelis say they want a ceasefire, even as they call up 75,000 ground troops. They say it all depends on Hamas halting the rocket fire. But even if the two primary actors agree, will the other factions in Gaza acquiesce? The Iran-sponsored Palestinian Islamic Jihad and Popular Resistance Committees, along with Salafi groups and even the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade -- a splinter of the secular Fatah faction under PLO leader Mahmoud Abbas -- have been firing rockets on a freelance basis. Will they continue to fire on Israel even if Hamas halts? If so, the conflict could last a lot longer.

Meaningless. This conflict is over 60 yrs old... the questions the author purports to ask already have answers... how many ceasefires have we had now? 200? Did that stop the rockets from falling on Sderot?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ukraine: Russian Lawmakers Praise Putin After Rebel Recognition / Iran Seizes Oil Tanker In Gulf Of Oman / I’ll Roll Out New Travel Ban Next Week, Says Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.