Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) - Religion (430) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) (836531 Views)

The Satanic Chatbox. Everybody Is Welcome / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Christian's Chatbox Game/Party Night - May 4th@ 10pm Gmt -ALL CHRISTIANS INVITED (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) ... (787) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by herald9: 10:17pm On Jul 02, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

Not to sound gay but erm....

the eyes?
the sex.y low cut?
the tan-ish light skin?

Stop resisting the temptation, gurl......you want it grin grin
He's out of her reach...
Stop the temptation naw undecided
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by ihedinobi2: 10:18pm On Jul 02, 2014
And they were having all that fun without me. See una life.

@uj_sizzle, if we count Mintayo we'd have to count everyone who commented even a grunt. I was naming only those who really talked not just those who agreed with one commenter or the other. And no, I don't mind so much followership or the lack thereof, I was just curious why you considered the opinion in question as popular. undecided

Ok. The conclusion is coming up shortly.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by yetseyi(f): 10:35pm On Jul 02, 2014
anonimus I see yah smiley
ihedinobi smiley

Guys I believe this issue has been over flogged smiley
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by An0nimus: 10:42pm On Jul 02, 2014
yetseyi: anonimus I see yah smiley
ihedinobi smiley

Guys I believe this issue has been over flogged smiley

busted cry. Hello everyone.

Nne how fargrin
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jul 02, 2014
yetseyi:

seriously theres nothing extraordinary about that guy smiley

Thanks for agreeing with me. American women are classless. gringrin Naija ladies rocks. tongue smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by yetseyi(f): 10:45pm On Jul 02, 2014
Sal C: Yes the HbASC is a rare one which even 90% of lab scientists and doctors don't even know of it's existence, I remember the first time I got that result, (the first in the history of our hospital) not a single person in the entire hospital knew of it grin everyone was like "Sal, there must be a mistake somewhere" grin

Anyway till date we are yet to have a generally accepted explanation to it but we know it's there because we've seen atleast four of those, other hospitals too are beginning to see it.

Well when we sent it to the council seeking for clarification, ( sorry for our country that can't provide funds for proper research) we got two possible causes .....

Let me dangle a little into explaining the causes of HbS and HbC for a better understanding

When a child is born, he has two major globin chains, ie alpha and gamar chains, this is known as HbF ( fetal haemoglobin) at least six months and above of the child's birth, the garma chain begins to metamorphosize into Beta chain and we begin to represent this as HbA (adult haemoglobin) at this stage you can easily conduct genotype test for the baby.

On this beta chain, we have continuously the glutamic acid as the normal amino acid that make up this chain. Now if by chance another amino acid replace any of this G.A at any position, it gives rise to what we call haemoglobinopathy or haemoglobin variant.

If the amino acid Valine replaces glutamic acid in the sixth position on the beta globin chain, it leads to sickling, giving the RBC and S shape with low oxygen affinity ... This is what is referred to as HbS.

If it happens that on thesame position 6 the amino acid Lysine is the one replacing the glutamic acid instead of valine, we have HbC instead of HbS.
If Lysine replaces G.A in position 26 we have HbE
If lysine replaces G.A in position 121, we have HbO etc etc
Now the major problem in HbASC is that the replacement that gives rise to both takes place on thesame position 6. On the beta chain. While the amino acids that replaces to give rise to each differs. Ie Valine and Lysine
Note also that in a person's body, there are numerous beta globin chains not just one.

[/b]Now the question is ... Could it be that both Lysine and valine forcefully replace the G.A. on the sixth position in every beta globiin chain or does it mean that in a persons' system, lysine replaced glutamic acid in position 6 of some of these numerous beta globin chains while valine replaces glutamic acid on others?[b]
The answer so far revolves around these two possibilities with the later being better favoured but none is proved yet.

That's the little I can say till further proof is produced.

[/b]Note- presently there is a machine that is capable of detecting a newborn's genotype as early as three days after birth. (That's btw)
I hope this helps[b]
. grin

@ 2nd bolded really shocked e don reach nigeria?

I understand the aminoacid substitution perfectly. cheesy
had a first degree in biochemistry

@ 1st bolded hmm it could be either of the two cry or none at all
Do you work in naija if yes a govt or private clinic?
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by yetseyi(f): 10:46pm On Jul 02, 2014
An0nimus:

busted cry. Hello everyone.

Nne how fargrin

cool peeping abi grin grin grin grin
caught ya tongue
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 02, 2014
woky: What are you trying to say??

Exactly What you reasoned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 02, 2014
Ceasar1:

Exactly What you reasoned.

You went to diarylanders chat thread and made trouble. Now, it's christian chat thread?. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jul 02, 2014
FrancisTony:

You went to diarylanders chat thread and made trouble. Now, it's christian chat thread?. undecided

1 word for you.
Stop using words you can't define. What's trouble? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 02, 2014
Ceasar1:

1 word for you.
Stop using words you can't define. What's trouble? undecided

#Ignored undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 02, 2014
FrancisTony:

#Ignored undecided

Excellent!
You Should Learn to Mind Your Own Business.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by texanomaly(f): 11:26pm On Jul 02, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

Thanks for pointing out the hypocrisy!

Texanomaly and Ihedinobi contradict themselves on a daily basis

tongue
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by texanomaly(f): 11:30pm On Jul 02, 2014
FrancisTony:

Carrot Top? NO.

@abs, That the kinda thing you'll love but won't allow ladies like Uj_sizzle to showcase their curve. undecided

Yeah...I meant that nice abs don't make a handsome guy. At least in my opinion. They are nice, but not the deciding factor for me.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by texanomaly(f): 11:32pm On Jul 02, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

Not to sound gay but erm....

the eyes?
the sex.y low cut?
the tan-ish light skin?

Stop resisting the temptation, gurl......you want it grin grin

too many tatoos
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Mintayo(m): 11:50pm On Jul 02, 2014
texanomaly:

too many tatoos
Yea. Too many tatoo. I hate that thing gan!smiley
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by texanomaly(f): 12:07am On Jul 03, 2014
Mintayo:
Yea. Too many tatoo. I hate that thing gan!smiley

The teardrop near his eye used to represent how many people you've killed. How is that attractive?
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by TheBigUrban2: 12:12am On Jul 03, 2014
texanomaly:

The teardrop near his eye used to represent how many people you've killed. How is that attractive?

lol.....you need to listen to more rap.

Lil wayne (which many nigerian/black girls would die for) has that same tear drop tattoo.

The tattoo is gangsta.........but you aint interested in "gangsta"
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Mintayo(m): 12:14am On Jul 03, 2014
texanomaly:

Really?:/shocked
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by TheBigUrban2: 12:19am On Jul 03, 2014
Mintayo:

Yes, for certain gang members

but now, every fake gangsta has it (even though they havent thrown a punch in their lives)
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by ihedinobi2: 12:27am On Jul 03, 2014
1 Peter 3:3-4 King James Version (KJV)

3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

1 Timothy 2:9 Amplified Bible (AMP)

9 Also [I desire] that women should adorn themselves modestly and appropriately and sensibly in seemly apparel, not with [elaborate] hair arrangement or gold or pearls or expensive clothing

Exodus 28:2 King James Version

2 And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty.

Exodus 28:40 King James Version

40 And for Aaron's sons thou shalt make coats, and thou shalt make for them girdles, and bonnets shalt thou make for them, for glory and for beauty.

Isaiah 28:5 King James Version

5 In that day shall the Lord of hosts be for a crown of glory, and for a diadem of beauty, unto the residue of his people

As seen from the first group of texts, the Bible's standard for dressing is modesty. But what is modesty? We have asked that question a few times, I know that I have more than a few times myself over the past years. It is in Paul's letter to Timothy that we see the term modesty and that letter was originally written in Greek. The word is κόσμιος and 'is common in classical Greek in the sense of "welt (sic) -ordered," "welt (sic) -behaved"' (see http://biblehub.com/commentaries/pulpit/1_timothy/2.htm). This may still seem a bit vague but if we look at the two bits of Scripture together, the bit from Peter's letter and the bit from Paul's, that is, the concept of modesty makes more sense to us.

Both apostles essentially command that the woman be better known for her godly behavior than for her dress. The folly some of us may fall into here is the reasoning that God looks on the heart and not on the appearance and if a woman is to be known for her godly behavior then her dress should not matter. But this is very untrue. If one's adornment is of a meek and quiet spirit as Peter says, their dress will confirm the same for out of the abundance of the heart the woman dresseth. Still there are practical things to note, non-vague things, that is.

The woman is commanded by Peter not to plait her hair, wear gold or make much of her garments. This is for very specific reasons that will be found in full in https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/matthew-henry/1Pet.3.1-1Pet.3.7. It is never wise to carry specific instructions made for people who lived in a specific era straight into another era to apply to the people who live in that era. So we must not assume that women today must not plait their hair and wear jewelry. There is a reason that both Peter and Paul made an issue out of those specific things. Back in their days, prrostitutes and wicked women were known by such dress. We have the equivalents today. When you hit a red light district even unknowingly, you can soon tell that you have by how the women hanging out on the streets are dressed. Plaiting hair does not today identify a woman as a prrostitute but certain other kinds of get-up do. Those get-ups are what women today are to avoid. Whatever a Christian woman does, she must never let herself be mistaken for anything but a Christian. That is the meaning of letting your adorning be the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit: your godliness should be obvious and unmistakable.

What about decking yourself out in gaudy jewelry and expensive wears? Both apostles are very particular about these in addition to the plaiting of hair. Again, wearing jewelry is not the thing in itself, it is the message that is sent by wearing them. Today, as in their days, the tendency in fashion is to show off. Showing off is unchristian. What these apostles hold up is something translated as "shamefacedness" or bashfulness. One commentary refers to it as '"shamefastness" (that which is made fast by honourable shame)' (see http://biblehub.com/commentaries/jfb//1_timothy/2.htm). Another commentary says, 'there is no religion or irreligion in dress, provided pride and luxury are guarded against, and modesty and moderation preserved' (see http://biblehub.com/commentaries/gill/1_timothy/2.htm). Even without reading so many commentaries, we can tell that if your focus is on looking good, you will sacrifice being good. This is a truth that holds in everything: if any focus on our own selves occurs, Christ will be sacrificed for it. That is something we should be careful of losing sight of. As much as we think that the war is between Christ and Satan, we must never forget that Satan has no power except in self. Satan's whole interest is to get us to focus on ourselves because if we do so, Christ will be nullified in us.

So, it is clear that the Scriptures command women to tone down on looking good. I, for one, love a woman to look good. I enjoy looking at good-looking things but my history so far with God has been that my enjoyment cannot be paramount. After all, all of our tastes are necessarily acquired. Many things I could not abide at one time in my life are commonplace and even sought after by me now and many things I once made everything of mean nothing to me today. So I can get to love looking at a woman whose curves have been completely obscured. I can get to appreciate seeing the inner beauty of a woman radiating on her without much outward beauty to speak of. As the Scriptures say, we are changed as we behold the Lord. Change is just part of growing up into Him in all things. The woman then who cannot sacrifice her natural need to be found very appealing physically is a woman who will sacrifice the ornament of the meek and quiet spirit that Peter spoke of.

Another thing to be noted is the group of texts in red. In them we see that God does care about appearance. He cared as much about it as He did about His Tabernacle judging by the detail with which He described both to Moses and the provision He made for achieving both. It is foolish to think that God wants us to walk about in rags and with no care whatsoever for our bodies. As Jesus Himself said, the Father knows that we need clothes for our bodies and not just to cover our unclothedness but for beauty and for glory. Still, the text in green tells us what our beauty and our glory is. It is the Lord Himself. Women in bars, in clubs, on music videos look very enticing to the eye but does the Lord call that beauty? Let us see what the Scriptures say. In Proverbs 11:22, it says that a beautiful woman without discretion is like a gold ring in a pig's snout. We are Christians. In Colossians 3:1, Paul tells us that we belong above and should therefore focus on the things that are above.

Today, the world is so violently material and sensual about everything. Love is judged by sexxual attraction. Justice is judged by anger. Mercy is judged by pity. And so on. As a result, nothing is clear for many times we are angry at even those things that are just and pity things that should be destroyed. Look at the multitude of divorces and the rotting fabric of society to see how sexxual attraction has helped human beings as a judge of Love. But none of this is nearly as tragic as when the "little Christs", the "small Messiahs", the Christians are caught in the same snare of materialism and emotion. When Christians forget that the things that are seen are temporal and passing away but those unseen things out of which they were made remain forever, then the world is doomed. Women are warned to dress in a certain manner but the temptation to disobey is great indeed because of the focus of today's world on the seen. Still for that reason it is even more imperative that our women should obey.

Finally, it matters that we understand that the focus of the Scriptures on women regarding instruction on dress is very deliberate indeed. The demand that men too should be commanded as women have been is a distraction from obedience and a questioning of the wisdom of the Author of the Scriptures to give commands as He does. Some women have claimed that they are as much tempted sexxually by a man's physical appearance as men are by a woman's physical appearance. Perhaps they are indeed, but I very much doubt that, but what a man ought to do about his dressing is one thing and what a woman ought to do is another. The Scriptures are very clear in their instructions to women. It would not be wise to disobey them merely because nothing was said to the man too. Having said that, it is not a bad idea for men to learn a thing or two from the instructions given to women. The focus of the Christian regardless of their specific gender is on being clothed with good works not expensive raiment and questionable attire. The testimony of the Christian must always be clear and without confusion whether in dress, in speech, in career or in anything at all. The Christian is not a show-off. The Christian is not an attention-seeker. The Christian is a moderate individual. The Christian does not attach any value to anything of this world, not the applause of it, the hate of it, the splendour of it or anything. His appreciation of value is wholly determined by the praise and presence of Christ in anything.

For the Gift of Your Word, we thank You, our Father. And we ask that It may bear great and everlasting Fruit unto You and establish us in Your truth and in all righteousness in the Name of Your Son Jesus. Amen.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by ihedinobi2: 12:56am On Jul 03, 2014
I'll post a new thread containing the conclusion of this discussion for reference purposes and to allow any new thoughts to be shared in the matter. The link will be provided here after that. Thank you all for participating and sharing your thoughts.

We are continuing the discussion on Feminism this last half of the week. The subject will be another facet of feminism - the economic rights of women. Please feel free to share exactly what you think on the subject. As always, a conclusion will be drawn at the end based on the Scriptures. And we all will retain the right to choose whether to agree with it or not in our privacy. The conclusion is drawn for the purposes of order.

Please do not suppose that there is no risk in the work done here. The Scriptures say that it is those who teach that will suffer the greatest condemnation. For that reason, it is always risky to tell anyone what it is that God has said about anything. If you are wrong, you will be suffer not only for your error but for the errors of those who believed you. So nothing about this is being done lightly. I encourage you to find peace in that.

@yetseyi, the discussion was not overflogged, dear. The schedule is Sunday to Tuesday and Wednesday to Saturday. This is to allow much but limited conversation on any matter.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by texanomaly(f): 1:02am On Jul 03, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

lol.....you need to listen to more rap.

Lil wayne (which many nigerian/black girls would die for) has that same tear drop tattoo.

The tattoo is gangsta.........but you aint interested in "gangsta"

No I'm not interested in "gangsta". Or gangsta wana-be's. I said "used" to mean you killed someone. Now little "gansta wana-be's use them to show they are "down" or whatever. I worked in the Texas prison system. It was part of my job to know gang tattoos and what they mean. I'm probably more "gangsta" by association than you any day of the week.

2 Likes

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by texanomaly(f): 1:04am On Jul 03, 2014
Mintayo:

Yeah...back in the day. Some people today use them to show how many "bros" they have lost.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by texanomaly(f): 1:15am On Jul 03, 2014
@ the economic rights of women

I have a friend who's mother lost everything after her husband died. Her in-laws came in and took everything, including the house her husband built for her. She decided not to contest the action because she took it to the tribal elders and they sided with the in-laws. Does this kind of thing happen often in Nigeria. What can women do to protect themselves in a male dominated society? Also, should tribal law take precedent over federal, state and local law?
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by ihedinobi2: 1:19am On Jul 03, 2014
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by ihedinobi2: 1:23am On Jul 03, 2014
texanomaly: @ the economic rights of women

I have a friend who's mother lost everything after her husband died. Her in-laws came in and took everything, including the house her husband built for her. She decided not to contest the action because she took it to the tribal elders and they sided with the in-laws. Does this kind of thing happen often in Nigeria. What can women do to protect themselves in a male dominated society? Also, should tribal law take precedent over federal, state and local law?

Thanks Tex, for a good start. Takers, anyone? When you all wake up, that is.

1 Like

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by TheBigUrban2: 4:28am On Jul 03, 2014
texanomaly:

No I'm not interested in "gangsta". Or gangsta wana-be's. I said "used" to mean you killed someone. Now little "gansta wana-be's use them to show they are "down" or whatever. I worked in the Texas prison system. It was part of my job to know gang tattoos and what they mean. I'm probably more "gangsta" by association than you any day of the week.

more gangsta than me?

lol...the american gangstas that live on welfare like babies?

Why not come to nigeria where there is no welfare....you poor, you die.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by TheBigUrban2: 4:40am On Jul 03, 2014
ihedinobi2: I'll post a new thread containing the conclusion of this discussion for reference purposes and to allow any new thoughts to be shared in the matter. The link will be provided here after that. Thank you all for participating and sharing your thoughts.

We are continuing the discussion on Feminism this last half of the week. The subject will be another facet of feminism - the economic rights of women. Please feel free to share exactly what you think on the subject. As always, a conclusion will be drawn at the end based on the Scriptures. And we all will retain the right to choose whether to agree with it or not in our privacy. The conclusion is drawn for the purposes of order.

Please do not suppose that there is no risk in the work done here. The Scriptures say that it is those who teach that will suffer the greatest condemnation. For that reason, it is always risky to tell anyone what it is that God has said about anything. If you are wrong, you will be suffer not only for your error but for the errors of those who believed you. So nothing about this is being done lightly. I encourage you to find peace in that.

@yetseyi, the discussion was not overflogged, dear. The schedule is Sunday to Tuesday and Wednesday to Saturday. This is to allow much but limited conversation on any matter.

You didnt discuss feminism. You discussed a caricature of feminism espoused by Texanomaly- that feminists urge women to dress anyhow as their rights.

You failed as predicted. But no, you still want to discuss feminism. Okay, let's see how it goes

1 Like

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Ishilove: 4:40am On Jul 03, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

more gangsta than me?

lol...the american gangstas that live on welfare like babies?

Why not come to nigeria where there is no welfare....you poor, you die.
www.nairaland.com/1793182/family-denies-holding-son-captive#24418290

grin
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by TheBigUrban2: 4:41am On Jul 03, 2014
texanomaly: @ the economic rights of women

You have stated a huge and common problem in Nigeria.

Good start.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by dagr8(m): 5:06am On Jul 03, 2014
texanomaly:

too many tatoos
Irritatingsad

(1) (2) (3) ... (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) ... (787) (Reply)

Higher Everyday — Learning: Route To Greatness - 2 / Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.