Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,392 members, 7,850,396 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:27 PM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (3488) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (11027865 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3485) (3486) (3487) (3488) (3489) (3490) (3491) ... (7802) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by maishai: 12:53pm On Apr 27, 2018
onegentleguy:

The number of commercial transactions that are now denominated in foreign easily convertible currencies, especially the US Dollar, has astronomically increased in the last decade. ...mostly due to the benefit of retaining earnings in US Dollars, as opposed to the Naira, which is the national currency in Nigeria. One of such opportunity is the benefit of quick arbitrage that comes with shorting the system with a view to making some gains from FX differential. ...and since the managers of companies are increasingly becoming smarter/wiser, they've sought some of these means in their many quest to explore several channels to increase their earnings.

Again the International Financial Reporting Standards (...I think IFRS IAS 21) requires a foreign currency transaction to be recorded, on its initial recognition, in the functional or national currency of the concerned company, applying the spot FX rate at the date of the transaction.
IFRS IAS 20 goes further to require that at the end of each reporting accounting year-end, the foreign currency monetary items are required to be converted into the functional or national currency using the closing FX rate for the currency of the transaction.

Any resulting exchange rate difference (ie the FX rate at the date of the transaction and the FX rate at the close of the transaction) whether a profit or a loss, are required to be recognized in the Accounting Books of the company at the date when they each arise. ...and where the transaction is a continuing one, IFRS requires such investment to be initially recognized under Other Comprehensive Income and reclassified to a profit or loss position on the disposal or completion of the transaction or investment.

In summary, assets and liabilities are required to be translated and booked at the FX rate, at the end of the accounting period of each transaction. ...Income and expenses are required to be translated at the FX rate existing on the dates of each of these events. And lastly, FX rate differences are recognized under Other Comprehensive Income and subsequently reclassified to the Profit and Loss Account on the disposal or completion of the FX related transaction.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sellydion: 12:54pm On Apr 27, 2018
[quote author=Mpeace post=67072173]They collected the magic wand from him and gave him a bell. He is now our official bell ringer. Lol
Cp #jokes #nostonesintended[

Fair value call to action environment has disappear. Stocks are no more at their intrinsic value.

What are we going to do now to make money like the time of CP call to action? grin grin

Our Guru don join the mattress gang cheesy
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sellydion: 12:59pm On Apr 27, 2018
@onegentleguy which of the big 4s we they now? The terminology too much

you are highly welcome grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 1:02pm On Apr 27, 2018
wink cheesy grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 1:02pm On Apr 27, 2018
Infinitisi:
Hi onegentleguy,

What is your day job? Are you a stockbroker/investment banker?

Why do u ask my Oga?
There's really not much big deal in this one now. ...me thinks its just common sense and clearly mathematical. wink cheesy

But to answer ur question; No Sir. ...I am only an Engineer.
Though currently not practising. ...am just an ordinary Entrepreneur heading a small Enterprise in a different field.
Am just Onegentleguy Sir.

Regards.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Teeonly: 1:07pm On Apr 27, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Infinitisi(m): 1:10pm On Apr 27, 2018
Lol this had nothing to do with your last post. I have been observing your posts for a while. The language, style of presentation and analysis strikes me as that of a stockbroker/investment banker or someone who has had extensive training in investment analysis.

Just curious that is all.

onegentleguy:

Why do u ask my Oga?
There's really not much big deal in this one now. ...me thinks its just common sense and clearly mathematical. wink cheesy

Though currently not practising. ...am just an ordinary Entrepreneur heading a small Enterprise in a different field.

Regards.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 27, 2018
onegentleguy:

Why do u ask my Oga?

Regards.

Retired Engr u mean sir?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by gloriousdawn: 1:12pm On Apr 27, 2018
onegentleguy:

The number of commercial transactions that are now denominated in foreign easily convertible currencies, especially the US Dollar, has astronomically increased in the last decade. ...mostly due to the benefit of retaining earnings in US Dollars, as opposed to the Naira, which is the national currency in Nigeria. One of such opportunity is the benefit of quick arbitrage that comes with shorting the system with a view to making some gains from FX differential. ...and since the managers of companies are increasingly becoming smarter/wiser, they've sought some of these means in their many quest to explore several channels to increase their earnings.

Again the International Financial Reporting Standards (...I think IFRS IAS 21) requires a foreign currency transaction to be recorded, on its initial recognition, in the functional or national currency of the concerned company, applying the spot FX rate at the date of the transaction.
IFRS IAS 20 goes further to require that at the end of each reporting accounting year-end, the foreign currency monetary items are required to be converted into the functional or national currency using the closing FX rate for the currency of the transaction.

Any resulting exchange rate difference (ie the FX rate at the date of the transaction and the FX rate at the close of the transaction) whether a profit or a loss, are required to be recognized in the Accounting Books of the company at the date when they each arise. ...and where the transaction is a continuing one, IFRS requires such investment to be initially recognized under Other Comprehensive Income and reclassified to a profit or loss position on the disposal or completion of the transaction or investment.

In summary, assets and liabilities are required to be translated and booked at the FX rate, at the end of the accounting period of each transaction. ...Income and expenses are required to be translated at the FX rate existing on the dates of each of these events. And lastly, FX rate differences are recognized under Other Comprehensive Income and subsequently reclassified to the Profit and Loss Account on the disposal or completion of the FX related transaction.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Thank you for the explanation.
Now that we have multiple exchange rate in the country, which of the rate is banks using for their FX valuation?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Teeonly: 1:13pm On Apr 27, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Teeonly: 1:14pm On Apr 27, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 1:15pm On Apr 27, 2018
Jejebaba:

Retired Engr u mean sir?

...How can a small person like me retire? wink cheesy
What will u now ask the Legends in the house here to do?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 27, 2018
onegentleguy:

...How can a small person like me retire? wink cheesy
What will u now ask the Legends in the house here to do?

Hahahaha, u be oga now with this wealth of experience and analysis and not the kind of analysis of someone that want to flush his 100k into the closet with betting. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 27, 2018
In currentprice voice...........
chai see this construction company that reported over 200% increase in profit @ 2018 Q1.
This election will win more contract for them.

Which company is this my people?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Teeonly: 1:25pm On Apr 27, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 1:28pm On Apr 27, 2018
gloriousdawn:

Now that we have multiple exchange rate in the country, which of the rate is banks using for their FX valuation?

My understanding is that the banks are to adopt the new IFRS 9 reporting format.
...this will most likely have some drawdown impact on their earnings power, and by extension the shareholders fund.
I however believe that the big banks are in pole positions to wither the storm. ...they are currently well placed and with a stead to have that extra edge.
Amongst the 1st tiers, the likes of GTB, ZENITH, UBA readily comes to mind, while from the 2nd tiers, STANBICIBTC and ETI are also treading along the right path.
...I also like FCMB.

On IFRS 9, someone posted a related link on it here the other day. ...maybe u should try digging that up.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 1:40pm On Apr 27, 2018
Infinitisi:
Lol this had nothing to do with your last post. I have been observing your posts for a while. The language, style of presentation and analysis strikes me as that of a stockbroker/investment banker or someone who has had extensive training in investment analysis.

Just curious that is all.

Chaii !! ...no ooo.
I be learner ooo my oga !!
...In fact, am still on the cradle path of the learning curve Sir.
Am here to learn from u all.

For its always a pleasure to be in the midst of u fine people !! wink cheesy

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by gloriousdawn: 1:50pm On Apr 27, 2018
onegentleguy:

My understanding is that the banks are to adopt the new IFRS 9 reporting format.
...this will most likely have some drawdown impact on their earnings power, and by extension the shareholders fund.
I however believe that the big banks are in pole positions to wither the storm. ...they are currently well placed and with a stead to have that extra edge.
Amongst the 1st tiers, the likes of GTB, ZENITH, UBA readily comes to mind, while from the 2nd tiers, STANBICIBTC and ETI are also treading along the right path.
...I also like FCMB.

On IFRS 9, someone posted a related link on it here the other day. ...maybe u should digging that up.

Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 1:52pm On Apr 27, 2018
gloriousdawn:

I just took a cursory look at ur question again. ...probably misconstrued it the 1st time.

I think the most fitting would likely be the I & E window exchange rate, but am not too sure about this.
Perhaps the Legends in the house can help out. ...or u could consult ur investment adviser or professional banker.

However my take in the initial post still stands.

Regards.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Teeonly: 1:52pm On Apr 27, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by mendes911: 1:52pm On Apr 27, 2018
FO - Almost 5m total offers. Wonders of NSE.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by lancee(m): 1:59pm On Apr 27, 2018
They won't allow uba move

Fbnh ??
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by gloriousdawn: 2:04pm On Apr 27, 2018
onegentleguy:

I just took a cursory look at ur question again. ...probably misconstrued it the 1st time.

I think the most fitting would probably be the I & E window exchange rate, but am not too sure about this.
Perhaps the Legends in the house can help out. ...or u could consult ur investment adviser or professional banker.

However my take in the initial post still stands.

Regards.

Appreciated my Oga.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 2:04pm On Apr 27, 2018
Japaul welldone o.
Just need u to close the 40+ gap this week so that next week will usher in the bull of MAY.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by bolabiyi: 2:05pm On Apr 27, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Teeonly: 2:15pm On Apr 27, 2018
[quote author=bolabiyi post=67076848]what's d summary of dis biko....can't open....

FYE17-EPS 5.8k

18Q1- EPS 8k

Price@26/01/2018- 88k
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Femiswagg(m): 2:21pm On Apr 27, 2018
FBN full bid
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Teeonly: 2:23pm On Apr 27, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 27, 2018
locodemy:
Japaul welldone o.
Just need u to close the 40+ gap this week so that next week will usher in the bull of MAY.
dont panic sell o,unless this milost deal is not binding,we die here.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by mendes911: 2:25pm On Apr 27, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 27, 2018
locodemy:
In currentprice voice...........
chai see this construction company that reported over 200% increase in profit @ 2018 Q1.
This election will win more contract for them.

Which company is this my people?
JBERGER with that massive profit is 89naira stock (in cp's voice).
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Teeonly: 2:31pm On Apr 27, 2018

(1) (2) (3) ... (3485) (3486) (3487) (3488) (3489) (3490) (3491) ... (7802) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: austinkenneth, aberdeenshire, sterlingD(m), zendi, ositadima1(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.