Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,407 members, 7,954,617 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:30 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (6964) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (11559601 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6961) (6962) (6963) (6964) (6965) (6966) (6967) ... (8190) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BabsO2(m): 3:42pm On May 03, 2023
mendes911:

Do you still truly believe this off market trade details? Why would this BUYER pay N3.12 for units that were readily available at a discounted price on the floor? Does it add up? That's why I said it's never what it seems with these cowboys!

Where can one monitor this off market trade information ?

Possible the deal was real as that's a high volume. Many doing such high trades - that is the buyer and the seller - could have various motivations. Such deals are not impossible.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 3:47pm On May 03, 2023
If a company made zero profit after tax and purchased property and equipment from its cash, would the equity remain same?

Should d reduction in cash account cancel out the increase in property and equipment account?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 3:51pm On May 03, 2023
onegentleguy:

I believe you use Morgancapital.

Just login to your A/c, go to Menu and click on NEWS. (the last option under Market)
You can always surf around all the news for any given month/period but to see the latest news, click on the small drop-down arrow under the current month.
You get highlights of info/news for the day at the extreme right under DETAILS.

The news for the said cross deal is right there.

Hope this helps.
Regards
BabsO2:

Where can one monitor this off market trade information ?

Possible the deal was real as that's a high volume. Many doing such high trades - that is the buyer and the seller - could have various motivations. Such deals are not impossible.

Refer to the post/guide above if you use Morgancapital Securities.

I really do not know if other firms have that feature in their user interface. ...but there's also a possibility they have it. You just need to find out.

Regards

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BabsO2(m): 3:54pm On May 03, 2023
ositadima1:
If a company made zero profit after tax and purchased property and equipment from its cash, would the equity remain same?

Should d reduction in cash account cancel out the increase in property and equipment account?

Off course assuming there is no depreciation in the property & equipment at the report date. Plus assuming there are no costs associated with the purchase that are significant and transient, like cost of transportation.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BabsO2(m): 3:57pm On May 03, 2023
onegentleguy:

Refer to the post/guide above if you use Morgancapital Securities.

I really do not know if other firms have that feature in their user interface. ...but there's also a possibility they have it. You just need to find out.

Regards

Okay thanks. Looks like it's an adhoc reporting and not something one can see on the NGX website. Let me search the NGX website and look out on broker sites. grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mfunkynation(m): 4:02pm On May 03, 2023
yMcy56:

Chai!! See as you interpret am! shocked
Well, you're good at prediction anyway. I no too get liver for trouble like that. grin

Btw, when are you giving us tips for that ogbonge one you mentioned sir? tongue
Pls check your mail.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mfunkynation(m): 4:03pm On May 03, 2023
see me see wahala oooo Dividend money has push Zee to 24 like play like play
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:05pm On May 03, 2023
ositadima1:

I have seen companies that didn't make profit, whose equity increased at the end of the year
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BabsO2(m): 4:30pm On May 03, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

I have seen companies that didn't make profit, whose equity increased at the end of the year

WIth naira depreciation, a company's physical assets will most likely appreciate. And revalued, the equity will increase even though no profit was made.

Agricultural assets can also be revalued upwards when plants grow and mature. Like happened with PRESCO and OKOMU.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:37pm On May 03, 2023
BabsO2:

WIth naira depreciation, a company's physical assets will most likely appreciate. And revalued, the equity will increase even though no profit was made.

Agricultural assets can also be revalued upwards when plants grow and mature. Like happened with PRESCO and OKOMU.

A businessman can acquire more assets for his business within a year by carefully spending less than what the business earned, yet could not declare profit for the year
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BabsO2(m): 4:50pm On May 03, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

A businessman can acquire more assets for his business within a year by carefully spending less than what the business earned, yet could not declare profit for the year

The hidden cost of depreciation can account for that grin.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by veecovee: 4:55pm On May 03, 2023
currentprice:

is the Chams u have identified thru ur real-Itrade TA grin

though am not buying but buyer will make good money, not strong enough to my taste as am still searching for my own taste for the year

cheesy cheesy

You are not buying, but you have secretly taken position grin grin grin

BTW what about the Doom Oracle is talking about?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 5:03pm On May 03, 2023
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by essentialone(m): 5:20pm On May 03, 2023
Follow this link to join my WhatsApp group: https:///BAADVxcjUeOEPziVzAZDyT
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Frangel: 8:56pm On May 03, 2023
If the purchase was during the year of account, depreciation for the period in use would have been charged to arrive at the zero PAT (strange). PPE will increase while cash decreased by the cost of acquisition. Equity doesn't change. At the basics, equity would change in a situation of zero PAT if there's a revaluation (up or down) of assets.

Reduction in cash cancels increase in PPE. Accounting wise, for every debit(PPE), there must be a corresponding credit (cash).

ositadima1:
If a company made zero profit after tax and purchased property and equipments from its cash, would the equity remain same?

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by toyeoye(m): 9:19pm On May 03, 2023
Streetinvestor2:
The corruption must go round. My believe is thr is a big masquerade standing behind Tony.You think it was just Tony that made otedola back out of transcorp. Ote went into transcorp because of the power business of transcorp. Power sector is the next big thing in naija and the wolves are taking position via any means necessary. E go shock you when Tony is nominated as the next cbn oga .Transcorp will still hit above #3.00 soon.I have taken my usual one bottle of hero stout, lol

Be greedy when others are fearful?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 9:35pm On May 03, 2023
Frangel:
If the purchase was during the year of account, depreciation for the period in use would have been charged to arrive at the zero PAT (strange). PPE will increase while cash decreased by the cost of acquisition. Equity doesn't change. At the basics, equity would change in a situation of zero PAT if there's a revaluation (up or down) of assets.

Reduction in cash cancels increase in PPE. Accounting wise, for every debit(PPE), there must be a corresponding credit (cash).

Thanks, I would also like to know where is the deducted depreciation (in d income sheet) accounted for in the balance sheet?

I think it is added to cash account, what confuses me is that it seems to be deducted again in a counter account under PPE.

In another example, where PAT is zero and no PPE was purchased equity suppose to grow from excess cash due to depreciation not being a cash expense?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by owolabi5: 11:13pm On May 03, 2023
Lion123:
This Transcorp still dey do me like film trick sha. This time last week, you couldn't even find the stock to buy. It was on full bid. I was even begging my broker to abeg epp me find some units. Look at it today.

No dey follow herd mentality.

When u see d bandwagon, it is already LATE!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Frangel: 6:00am On May 04, 2023
The deducted depreciation is accumulated (accumulated depreciation) over the years of the asset (until sold or scrapped) and deducted from the cost of the asset to arrive at it's value stated on the balance sheet (carrying value). It doesn't affect the cash balance.

Where PAT is zero and no PPE is purchased, equity and cash remain unchanged. Depreciation is just a provision (book entry) involving no cash movement. Items that affect equity are share capital/premium, revaluations, PAT balances and appropriations/reserves. There's a basic formula: EQUITY+LIABILITY=ASSET

ositadima1:

Thanks, I would also like to know where is the deducted depreciation (in d income sheet) accounted for in the balance sheet?

I think it is added to cash account, what confuses me is that it seems to be deducted again in a counter account under PPE.

In another example, where PAT is zero and no PPE was purchased equity suppose to grow from excess cash due to depreciation not being a cash expense?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 6:43am On May 04, 2023
Frangel:
The deducted depreciation is accumulated (accumulated depreciation) over the years of the asset (until sold or scrapped) and deducted from the cost of the asset to arrive at it's value stated on the balance sheet (carrying value). It doesn't affect the cash balance.

Where PAT is zero and no PPE is purchased, equity and cash remain unchanged. Depreciation is just a provision (book entry) involving no cash movement. Items that affect equity are share capital/premium, revaluations, PAT balances and appropriations/reserves. There's a basic formula: EQUITY+LIABILITY=ASSET

Good morning. I am not clear yet. When PAT is zero and no PPE is purchased in a given year, I understand these happen:

1. From the revenue depreciation is deducted along other expenses including tax and interest. So, because depreciation is a non cash (it is not actually expended) item on the income statement there is actually a net income despite PAT being zero.

2. On the balance sheet, If depreciation is deducted from the cost of the asset on that given year then we have a PPE account that is reducing.

If equity remains unchanged, I think there has to be some other account on the balance sheet that was increased to offset the reduction in PPE. Which of the accounts get credited with depreciation proceeds to maintain equity unchanged?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Frangel: 7:19am On May 04, 2023
Good morning.
I think the confusion might be from the zero PAT. Depreciation is already deducted in the income statement to arrive at the zero PAT. The next place it's deducted is from the cost of asset. E+L=A must balance.

Another way to look at it is, if depreciation is not deducted in the income statement, the PAT balance would be profit (not zero). So it's been deducted 'indirectly' from equity (PAT) and also the cost of asset (to get carrying value of asset); the balance sheet remains balanced. Both are just entries, not affecting cash.

When PAT is zero and no PPE purchased in a given year, depreciation deducted in the income statement is for the already existing assets (if any) and the value of the assets on the balance sheet would be cost less accumulated depreciation.

I hope this is helpful.
ositadima1:

Good morning. I am not clear yet. When PAT is zero and no PPE is purchased in a given year, I understand these happen:

1. From the revenue depreciation is deducted along other expenses including tax and interest. So, because depreciation is a non cash (it is not actually expended) item on the income statement there is actually a net income despite PAT being zero.

2. On the balance sheet, If depreciation is deducted from the cost of the asset on that given year then we have a PPE account that is reducing.

If equity remains unchanged, I think there has to be some other account on the balance sheet that was increased to offset the reduction in PPE. Which of the accounts get credited with depreciation proceeds to maintain the balance unchanged?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Redoil: 8:47am On May 04, 2023
hello house when will gtbank dividend land
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Zagee: 9:34am On May 04, 2023
Redoil:
hello house when will gtbank dividend land
7 more days
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by vinco82(m): 10:08am On May 04, 2023
EVERYONE IN THIS FORUM HAVE RECEIVED THEIR ZENITH BANK DIVIDEND EXCEPT ME.
THERE IS GOD!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 10:37am On May 04, 2023
vinco82:
EVERYONE IN THIS FORUM HAVE RECEIVED THEIR ZENITH BANK DIVIDEND EXCEPT ME.
THERE IS GOD!

Have you ever received in previous years?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 11:23am On May 04, 2023
Pls let someone post the screenshot of chams trade.Still having issues with mytradebook
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by debostar(m): 11:25am On May 04, 2023
GTB is always carrying last when it comes to dividend payment.Na wa oo

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 11:36am On May 04, 2023
Some folks will exit CHAMS but later wish they never did! wink cheesy cool

N.B: NOT an investment advice.

#lamentations

It is well.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by IYGEAL(m): 11:37am On May 04, 2023
locodemy:
Pls let someone post the screenshot of chams trade.Still having issues with mytradebook

Oga Loco, you suppose don join Morgan Capital since. The broker is suitable for your type of activities.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by kalkah: 11:42am On May 04, 2023
locodemy:

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Hogwarthtrades: 11:44am On May 04, 2023
Question about secured collateral loans ( I am aware this is not a recommendation of any sort, your personal experience or word of mouth is greatly appreciated though. Currently scouting to see what's out there) . The portfolio will and /or mostly consist of the following
a. MTN b. DANG CEM c. OKOMU d. UNITED CAPITAL e. Zenith f. BUA CEMENT g. BUA FOOD h. TOTALenergies
I. Which banks should one be weary of?
II. Do the said banks or financial institution have preference for stocks held in the portfolio.
III. The term of the loan looking at is ~ 180- 365 days at most.
IV. Please feel free to name the banks.
Scouting the market for now. Thanks for your input as always.. Iki PAWPAW oni wo pa wa oh (Credit to *insert nairaland username who always type this*)
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by OBAGADAFFI: 11:44am On May 04, 2023
What is going on with PRESCO.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6961) (6962) (6963) (6964) (6965) (6966) (6967) ... (8190) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ghost01(m), talk2me2, Uchetoba and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.