Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (7516) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10851993 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7513) (7514) (7515) (7516) (7517) (7518) (7519) ... (7743) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Harvestock01(m): 12:51pm On Jan 21
ositadima1:

You are right, shelf companies and overseas assets may be out of reach, but any substantial assets he owns in the USA, he would be forced to vomit. cheesy

In the event of a margin call, will the assets outside of the margin facility still be affected? For example if he owns a USD200 million property that was not used as a collateral?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:05pm On Jan 21
Harvestock01:

In the event of a margin call, will the assets outside of the margin facility still be affected? For example if he owns a USD200 million property that was not used as a collateral?

The loan is based on the current value of his portfolio, although some financiers might need the personal guarantee of the investors.

The problem is with over leveraged position of the trader. Imagine using your personal equity of N10 million to control a portfolio of N50 million by getting an additional loan of N40 million

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:07pm On Jan 21
Harvestock01:

What was the total losses for those who granted the margin loan?

Very difficult for them to make a loss
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 1:13pm On Jan 21
rmx:

Nah , you are wrong , said net worth , simply means the value of the stocks he had was more than his liability to the banks , at one time by upto 20b $ , till disaster struck and the value of Viacom shares plummeted and the banks came calling on his margin loan

The lesson to learn is take profit and move to other asset class , don’t keep all your eggs in one basket, it clearly shows what other billionaires do . Each to his own , I don talk my own grin grin grin

You make a fair point. But without knowing all the details, it's difficult to say definitively.

It's possible that a portion of his own capital, perhaps $20 billion, was required to be invested alongside the loans in order to access that level of financing. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 1:18pm On Jan 21
Harvestock01:

Technically, from my research, assets not used as collateral should not be affected by a margin call, but the lender may still pursue lawsuits...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:28pm On Jan 21
ositadima1:

Technically, from my research, assets not used as collateral should not be affected by a margin call, but the lender may still pursue lawsuits...

It can only happen if the investor gave his personal guarantee, in that case they can go for his other assets and Investments

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:36pm On Jan 21
emmanuelewumi:

Networth is total Asset minus total debt.

Look at 2 people with a networth of $20 billion.

Investor A: Total Asset 45billion, Total liability 25 billion. Networth/Net Asset 20billion

Investor B: Total Asset 160 billion, Total liability 140 billion. Networth/Net Asset 20 billion..

Investor B is highly overleveraged. A 20% drop in the value of his total asset will bring him to bankruptcy.

Most times when the total liabilities is more twice of the networth or net asset, it is very easy to go bankrupt.

Investor A. Total liabilities is 1.25 times of the net asset or networth

Investor. Total liabilities is 7 times of the net asset or networth

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by rmx: 1:38pm On Jan 21
emmanuelewumi:

Money Market Fund, cash and fixed income are also liquid, [/b] I guess his networth was tied to market value of his highly speculative stock positions [b]

I shared the story of the guy whose N30 million portfolio turned to N2.5 million at a time when Naira to dollar was about N120.

If he diversified into cash, real estate, personal business and other cash producing assets he would not have been badly hit.

Someone said networth is a lousy metric and cash flow is far better. I guess that contributed to why Warren Buffett is the longest member of the Forbes list. Being there for decades.

Networth fuels the ego, cash flow fuels the yatch, jet and living expenses

The Koko , you should have added that was doing very well initially , nah when the Tide comot him cloths , then the bank came for his unclothedness grin grin grin , I say a lot of times people don’t know banks or bankers till you owe them or default , you won’t see all those there fine fine marketers then grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 1:53pm On Jan 21
But wait o, 20 billi out of 100 billi, bank go just give you 80 billi do biz and u carry ur own billi go dey diversify for better property.

Haba, na u dey mary bank manager daughter? grin grin angry
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:37pm On Jan 21
ositadima1:
But wait o, 20 billi out of 100 billi, bank go just give you 80 billi do biz and u carry ur own billi go dey diversify for better property.

Haba, na u dey mary bank manager daughter? grin grin angry

Your total Asset is everything you have weather you have fully paid for it or not.

Eg assuming one has a house worth N50 million, cars worth N20 million, jewelry worth N10 million, financial assets worth N10 million, land worth N10 million. His total asset his N100 million.

Assuming he has outstanding mortgage of N30 million on his house, debt of N10 million on his car, outstanding debt of N3 million on his financial assets and yet to balance N2 million on the land he bought. His total liabilities is N45 million.

That means his networth is N55 million.

Meanwhile his total assets of N100 million is held by the bank.

In his case the total liabilities is almost 0.9 times of networths. Provided his sources income is guaranteed he should not have a problem servicing his loan provided he is earning reasonable income

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by hayyawithme: 3:23pm On Jan 21
Yoast:
I support loco 100%. You can't be talking of rainfall when the likes of Otedola are packing Dangote shares with bullion VAN. Pull backs here and there, yes. But market crash, NO.

Ote, no sabi TA naw
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chimex38: 3:46pm On Jan 21
hmm

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Streetinvestor2: 3:51pm On Jan 21
hayyawithme:

Ote, no sabi TA naw
Lol.The billionaires no get time for TA,that is if they even know what it means..They follow the money and political interest .If alhaji could sell fllour for #24 many moons ago even with bad results.I should believe TA that alhaji food will not sell above #100..Do you know how long I have waited for the cement to come to #200

TA na just man made graphics .It only becomes real if you could pull many to believe in it.Then they begin to take decisions with it in mind.After sometimes FA will neutralise its effect and reality will manifest again.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 3:59pm On Jan 21
emmanuelewumi:

Your total Asset is everything you have weather you have fully paid for it or not.

Eg assuming one has a house worth N50 million, cars worth N20 million, jewelry worth N10 million, financial assets worth N10 million, land worth N10 million. His total asset his N100 million.

Assuming he has outstanding mortgage of N30 million on his house, debt of N10 million on his car, outstanding debt of N3 million on his financial assets and yet to balance N2 million on the land he bought. His total liabilities is N45 million.

That means his networth is N55 million.

Meanwhile his total assets of N100 million is held by the bank.

In his case the total liabilities is almost 0.9 times of networths. Provided his sources income is guaranteed he should not have a problem servicing his loan provided he is earning reasonable income

He did not have a diverse range of investments and was exposed to a lot of risk. The large amount of borrowing he did made the risk even bigger. It also made him extremely vulnerable if the market went down.

But that is likely how he grew his wealth initially - it is not easy to make billions by playing it very safe. If u doubt am go get your own. grin

Maybe he should have stopped taking large risks after becoming wealthy, but the desire to be the next Warren Buffett was very strong. embarassed embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by edwardaigb: 4:43pm On Jan 21
Happy Sunday everyone. So many pages to read. Thank God for the Ogas here.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 4:56pm On Jan 21
ositadima1:

He did not have a diverse range of investments and was exposed to a lot of risk. The large amount of borrowing he did made the risk even bigger. It also made him extremely vulnerable if the market went down.

But that is likely how he grew his wealth initially - it is not easy to make billions by playing it very safe. If u doubt am go get your own. grin

Maybe he should have stopped taking large risks after becoming wealthy, but the desire to be the next Warren Buffett was very strong. embarassed embarassed embarassed

You lose it big if you made it big via risky trading

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Harvestock01(m): 5:05pm On Jan 21
Agbalowomeri:

You lose it big if you made it big via risky trading

Luck and Risk are co-equal in importance 😊
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by MeezPat(f): 5:25pm On Jan 21
This is a bit wrong though for bonds....Your capital can fall or rise in relation to interest rates...If newer bonds are issued at higher yields, your capital falls if you demand an immediate sale, If issued at lesser yields than you bought, your capital increases.Investor is only immune if he waits till maturity of which, there are still inflationary pressures
ositadima1:

You bought a stock like UCAP 4 years ago. Last year it returned 57.6% in dividends. The stock kept moving up. Now you look at its current value and see that if you liquidate now and invest in government bonds at 14 to 13%, you stand to get about 128% annually(on initial stock investment).

You want to do it, but you consider that 13% is fixed and once you are invested, neither your capital nor dividends will appreciate (or fall). However, the dividends have no ceiling and if the stock has moved this far, it would likely outperform the fixed returns over time.

You also realize that you may never be able to buy that stock at that initial price again. What would you do? grin grin grin

CC Pa Emma, Mcy56, Agba cheesy
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chibaby1985(f): 5:32pm On Jan 21
ositadima1:

The BitterTruth is that he was grossly greedy grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:46pm On Jan 21
MeezPat:
This is a bit wrong though for bonds....Your capital can fall or rise in relation to interest rates...If newer bonds are issued at higher yields, your capital falls if you demand an immediate sale, If issued at lesser yields than you bought, your capital increases.Investor is only immune if he waits till maturity of which, there are still inflationary pressures

You can't compare the volatility of bonds with that of equities.

Since the bond pays coupons twice in a year, you have the opportunity to buy more at a cheaper price and better yield
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 5:55pm On Jan 21
MeezPat:

grin grin grin

My sister, I was only trying to economize space and mention the most important parts. If I were to explain everything in full, posts would look more like final year thesis.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by LILBIMS: 5:58pm On Jan 21
Good evening , pls what’s the meaning of OS ?
Streetinvestor2:
Do you think TP financial for the yr end will be better than chams.
I don't like companies with too little os.You remember oga oracle mentioning what he went through to sell beta glass even after the rise in price
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mfunkynation(m): 6:03pm On Jan 21
LILBIMS:
OS - Outstanding Shares

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 6:04pm On Jan 21
LILBIMS:

Outstanding Shares, all the outstanding shares of a stock that can lay claim on the profit after tax (PAT). Hence, earnings per share (EPS) is calculated as PAT divided by the number of outstanding shares (OS). cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ekkywolex(m): 8:35pm On Jan 21

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Streetinvestor2: 8:54pm On Jan 21
chimex38:
hmm
Time for conoil manipulation will soon start. I like when billionaires fight financially. It makes the ground green

Watch out for conoil going forward
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chibaby1985(f): 9:48pm On Jan 21
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chibaby1985(f): 9:54pm On Jan 21
emmanuelewumi:
But losing $20 billion in 2 days get as e be. I love NGX as in you can't gain or lose more than 10% in a day.

I wish they can play like the US stocks
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Harvestock01(m): 10:01pm On Jan 21
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Harvestock01(m): 10:01pm On Jan 21
chibaby1985:

I wish they can play like the US stocks

Extreme risk taking always ends in ruins

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chibaby1985(f): 10:09pm On Jan 21
Harvestock01:

Extreme risk taking always ends in ruins

I like it very well... That's why I like cryptocurrency
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Melcapital: 10:18pm On Jan 21
ositadima1:

You bought a stock like UCAP 4 years ago. Last year it returned 57.6% in dividends. The stock kept moving up. Now you look at its current value and see that if you liquidate now and invest in government bonds at 14 to 13%, you stand to get about 128% annually(on initial stock investment).

You want to do it, but you consider that 13% is fixed and once you are invested, neither your capital nor dividends will appreciate (or fall). However, the dividends have no ceiling and if the stock has moved this far, it would likely outperform the fixed returns over time.

You also realize that you may never be able to buy that stock at that initial price again. What would you do? grin grin grin

CC Pa Emma, Mcy56, Agba cheesy

Good question! Typical question of whether or not to sell a cash cow. Do I sell the cow I bought for $100 that now yields me $120 annually through milk now that a buyer offers $700? Or do I keep it till its milk production drops significantly, which may happen after making me 10X the cost price through milk production?

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7513) (7514) (7515) (7516) (7517) (7518) (7519) ... (7743) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.