Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times (30107 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov / Financial Times Newspaper Hails Tinubu As The Godfather Behind GEJ's Defeat(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by veraponpo(m): 12:11am On Dec 15, 2012
asala1: RankStatePPP GDP (2010;
in millios
of USD)
1Lagos StateUS$33,679
2Rivers StateUS$21,073
3Delta StateUS$16,749
4Oyo StateUS$16,121
5Imo StateUS$14,212
6Kano StateUS$12,393
7Edo StateUS$11,888
-Federal Capital TerritoryUS$11,448
8Akwa Ibom StateUS$11,179
9Ogun StateUS$10,470
10Kaduna StateUS$10,334
11Cross River StateUS$9,292
12Abia StateUS$8,687
13Ondo StateUS$8,414
14Osun StateUS$7,280
15Benue StateUS$6,864
16Anambra StateUS$6,764
17Katsina StateUS$6,022
18Niger StateUS$6,002
19Borno StateUS$5,175
20Plateau StateUS$5,154
21Sokoto StateUS$4,818
22Bauchi StateUS$4,713
23Kogi StateUS$4,642
24Adamawa StateUS$4,582
25Enugu StateUS$4,396
26Bayelsa StateUS$4,337
27Zamfara StateUS$4,123
28Kwara StateUS$3,841
29Taraba StateUS$3,397
30Kebbi StateUS$3,290
31Nassarawa StateUS$3,022
32Jigawa StateUS$2,988
33Ekiti StateUS$2,848
34Ebonyi StateUS$2,732
35Gombe StateUS$2,501
36Yob
e StateUS$2,011

And somebody was comparing Enugu with Ibadan in one post on Nairaland. Some people make me laugh some times. Enugu number 25
While Oyo is number four. The difference is two much. Even Osun is better than Enugu.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by garrigangster: 12:12am On Dec 15, 2012
uihebom: because man shall not live in palm oil soup and stew for too long, thats why dey have to change location. speaking of yorubas all over UK,they are alot of them in peckham carrying live goat on their head all day for no reason.
Oponu ayirada
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 12:14am On Dec 15, 2012
opeoluwa2:

I'm dumbfounded at this statement,lets imagine this state is dirty and a "zoo"
But some people have found it economically viable and a place to watchout for .

why do you find it difficult to accept?

Now,ibadan is a civilized city,with
strong presence of a world class university,worldclass companies like P&G,BATcompany and others.

IB has the highest second telecomms subscribers base in Nigeria.

IB is not an oil producing state,has no sea port but it is very peaceful and lifestyle is very cheap and affordable.

What are the perimeters for measuring an emerging economy?
1)Population
2)Security
Ibadan has got these and many more.
The only problem it has are the shortsighted leaders that has plagued every political realm in Nigeria.
For those of you looking at the redroof,
Its a sign of history dipicting the various stages of development .

One of my best reply today now imagine Ibadan with these same Old roof turning to a source of tourism for the state where people all over the world want to have the old feelings business now come's in for Real Estate, hotels,which means baba mulika the bricklayer go see work..welder go see work banks go dey well well others go come Ibadan city come find work the must buy food,pay for house rent and my grandfather house wey dey empty go dey occupied....hmmn! i love that old roof die
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by veraponpo(m): 12:19am On Dec 15, 2012
The reason is because of the population. Ibadan is the biggest ancient city in West Africa and third in Africa. It was also the base of power in the 50's and 60's. In the Western region. Some of the people u mentioned might not really be from Ibadan but claim it because of its fame.

shymexx: Off topic:

Can someone tell me why the "most-travelled" Yoruba people are the Ibadan folks?? Almost everyone out here in the UK is from Ibadan and I know it's probably the same thing for other countries..
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 12:19am On Dec 15, 2012
The 3 million people city

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ishilove: 12:25am On Dec 15, 2012
garri_gangster:
Aiye e ma baje ni. Omo eran jatijati
Right back at you. Oloshi olori buruku omo ale. Oponu jatijati. Na d gari wey dey your dat rotten akamu you call a brain dey worry you.

I asked a simple question based on what I heard and you come on sharply to rudely display your imbecility and lack of manners.

Werey, this is what happens when one of the lunatics Ibadan is notorious for somehow manages to gain access to the internet. Ode radarada. Malu hawusa.

Go drink some kpokpo gari; dats all you are worth.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 12:33am On Dec 15, 2012
---
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 12:34am On Dec 15, 2012
veraponpo:
The reason is because of the population. Ibadan is the biggest ancient city in West Africa and third in Africa. It was also the base of power in the 50's and 60's. In the Western region. Some of the people u mentioned might not really be from Ibadan but claim it because of its fame.

I hear that...

Some of them probably grew up there, hence why they always claim the place...

It's nothing but love for Ibadan, my mum was born and raised there as well, and her dad(late) was from the place...
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ishilove: 12:35am On Dec 15, 2012
shymexx: truce
Shymexx,you are one of the few people I admire on NL. Don't let that change.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 12:37am On Dec 15, 2012
Ishilove:
Shymexx,you are one of the few people I admire on NL. Don't let that change.

Truce - I'll edit my post..
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 12:41am On Dec 15, 2012
I'd have to agree with Sagamite's "Rubbish roads" comment.

True, those are some of THE best roads I've seen in Nigeria, but they're accident-prone. One side of the road is being used as two-lane road when in actuality, it's constructed as a one-way lane. The roads are large enough to be used as two even three lanes. It's best to fix that.

Look how dangerous and improperly constructed they are..
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 1:14am On Dec 15, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
I'd have to agree with Sagamite's "Rubbish roads" comment.

True, those are some of THE best roads I've seen in Nigeria, but they're accident-prone. One side of the road is being used as two-lane road when in actuality, it's constructed as a one-way lane. The roads are large enough to be used as two even three lanes. It's best to fix that.

Look how dangerous and improperly constructed they are..

All good criticism. The first task however is to get roadside traders off the roads. That is still ongoing I believe. Then we can have open and clean roads and put other proper traffic maintenance.

Iwo Road taken over by traders on both sides, and the ugly ubiquitous masts!!
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by ak47mann(m): 1:46am On Dec 15, 2012
demmy: Investment destinations in Nigeria 2012

Nigeria is a tale of two regions as city-level opportunities in the south overshadow widespread insecurity in the north. Companies must overcome corporate HQ fears regarding operational risks to position for long-term success in Nigeria, which remains the most attractive long-term investment destination in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Last month ethnic conflict ravaged northern Nigeria, leaving 150 dead and 100 injured. This continues a troubling trend of violence in 2012. From an investment perspective, this has rattled foreign companies that are wondering if Nigeria is becoming too risky. However, halting or drastically scaling back investment plans would be a mistake for senior executives.

Much of the violence is isolated in the economically underdeveloped north. The total GDP of 7 attack locations between April 5 and May 4 is US$25 billion, which represents less than 10% of Nigeria’s economy. On the other hand, the total GDP of 7 top investment destinations in the south is US$80 billion. This represents more than 30% of Nigeria’s economy.

Nigeria’s five largest cities, all of which are located in the south, have a combined GDP exceeding US$75 billion. This is surpassed only by Angola and South Africa. City GDP in Nigeria’s south is set to expand significantly this quarter, even if only on paper, because the government is shifting the base year for real GDP to 2009 from 1990. The result will be an overnight gain of 40% that closes the overall economy size gap between Nigeria and South Africa to only 10%.

Southern cities represent great opportunities for companies targeting emerging consumer classes, public sector projects, and other private sector companies flocking to urban areas. Companies should establish good relationships with distributors that know the southern part of the country well. Much of your sales opportunities are likely to be concentrated in this region for the foreseeable future.

http://blog.frontierstrategygroup.com/2012/05/a-tale-of-two-regions-southern-investment-northern-insecurity-in-nigeria/
interesting cool
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by stonebridge: 2:43am On Dec 15, 2012
Nigerians sha. Do we have any city in Nigeria?. If Ibadan is one of the 5 African cities to watch then Africa is truly doomed.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 3:03am On Dec 15, 2012
stonebridge: Nigerians sha. Do we have any city in Nigeria?. If Ibadan is one of the 5 African cities to watch then Africa is truly doomed.

Pessimist much?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by tolulinks(m): 3:31am On Dec 15, 2012
I get rather fed up with Igbos and there rivalry with the YORUBAS much like Achebe fancies himself better than Soyinka ( Pipe dream). I believe the only recognisable igbo city is enugu with their highest storey building, a government house! Don't be deluded igbos-PH and Calabar are not urs. An igbo student oF UI FRom eNUGU once remarked dumbly "
Ibadan fine oh after a trip to New Bodija. I laughed pitifully at him. Ogun is more industrialised than the entire east! No sane person wants to go to the east except the nomadic igbos themselves. Ibadan has potentials to develop into a Lagos and this is coming from someone who shuttles between the two cities. Ibadan is still the largest city in WA...correct me if I'm wrong. Igbo will always be in the shadows of yorubas! If you don't like it pack ur bags like fasholas subtley telling you and go to ur villages!

5 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PaulJohn1: 3:36am On Dec 15, 2012
^^^
grin grin guy calm down.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Lexusgs430: 4:13am On Dec 15, 2012
One of the cities to watch, for their very terrible and self- centered driving habits!!!

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by vandarsar(m): 4:51am On Dec 15, 2012
Meaniful you mean ?

U suck!!!
nifemi01: Ibadan d next big thing? Ibadan was once d big thing,not anymore though.
If ibadan is d next big thing in africa then we are in trouble. I don't see any meaning progress dat town can make within d next one year than can be spectacular
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by kettykin: 5:28am On Dec 15, 2012
tolulinks: I get rather fed up with Igbos and there rivalry with the YORUBAS much like Achebe fancies himself better than Soyinka ( Pipe dream). I believe the only recognisable igbo city is enugu with their highest storey building, a government house! Don't be deluded igbos-PH and Calabar are not urs. An igbo student oF UI FRom eNUGU once remarked dumbly "
Ibadan fine oh after a trip to New Bodija. I laughed pitifully at him. Ogun is more industrialised than the entire east! No sane person wants to go to the east except the nomadic igbos themselves. Ibadan has potentials to develop into a Lagos and this is coming from someone who shuttles between the two cities. Ibadan is still the largest city in WA...correct me if I'm wrong. Igbo will always be in the shadows of yorubas! If you don't like it pack ur bags like fasholas subtley telling you and go to ur villages!

did you just say this Ibadan has potentials to develop into a Lagos

did you just say this [/b]
tolulinks: I get rather fed up with Igbos and there rivalry with the YORUBAS much like Achebe fancies himself better than Soyinka ( Pipe dream). I believe the only recognisable igbo city is enugu with their highest storey building, a government house! Don't be deluded igbos-PH and Calabar are not urs. An igbo student oF UI FRom eNUGU once remarked dumbly "

did you just say this

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by garrigangster: 5:36am On Dec 15, 2012
Ishilove:
Right back at you. Oloshi olori buruku omo ale. Oponu jatijati. Na d gari wey dey your dat rotten akamu you call a brain dey worry you.

I asked a simple question based on what I heard and you come on sharply to rudely display your imbecility and lack of manners.

Werey, this is what happens when one of the lunatics Ibadan is notorious for somehow manages to gain access to the internet. Ode radarada. Malu hawusa.

Go drink some kpokpo gari; dats all you are worth.
Just a single line from me and you are going ballistic writing an epistle to abuse those older than me in your family?
Baby dont cry...

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 5:41am On Dec 15, 2012
kettykin:
did you just say this Ibadan has potentials to develop into a Lagos

did you just say this

I'll jump in for the guy...

Why do you think it's impossible?? If without oil and all the miscellaneous(seaports, airport, huge population etc.) that Lagos has, Ibadan's GDP is about half Lagos' GDP - I believe it can definitely surpass Lagos with good management, to be honest... The potentials are there...

I just saw some interesting stuffs about the old city - Ibadan is grossly underrated...
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by victokafor(m): 6:02am On Dec 15, 2012
I believe in Ibadan but the BIG 5 toping the chart at the moment are Maiduguri, Yobe, kaduna, Kano, Jigawa. Walahi these states I dey top.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by ba7man(m): 6:35am On Dec 15, 2012
While some are creating a Condusive atmosphere to attract investors, some are creating an atmosphere of Chaos in their locations. Classic example of "shooting oneself in d foot". Ibadan is a calm, peaceful location to reside in,what's not to like?? I'm sure some people are in shock that their location aint included. Lol!!!
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by jaybee3(m): 6:43am On Dec 15, 2012
Yes ohhhhh
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 6:55am On Dec 15, 2012
There's no doubt about Ibadan's potentials. Any student of elementary economics can tell that the proximity of Ogun, Oyo and Osun to Lagos makes these states potential economic powerhouses and investment destinations as the following factors are present:

1. Proximity to the sea port
2. Proximity to the MMIA
3. Lower cost of living and invariably labour costs
4. Ease of land acquisition
5. Investment friendly leadership
6. Motorable road networks across the region
7. Relative security

With an effective rail connection between these states and Lagos, you can only imagine what the future holds

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by kettykin: 7:13am On Dec 15, 2012
And on what grounds will Ibadan be ranked an emerging city when it is neither a political capital nor an economic capital.
Ibadan will benefit from the Super Congestion/saturation of Lagos which has led to a very rapid increase in the cost of doing business , most business rather than continue to struggle yearly in Lagos
paying huge rents for ware house and living space will rather go to an alternate city which in this case is Ibadan or Ota/Agbara in Ogun state.

Lagos on its own is congested there fore leaving the Lagos authorities making not well thought decision like Evicting Okada riders and aquiring lands in other states for other purposes,
Lagos will see very limited growth but would rather expand in to Ogun state helping Ogun state to grow

The next big things to happen to Nigeria will be along the Niger Delta Axis of Delta, Rivers,Akwa ibom
These are Big budget states spending more than half of their Budgets of more than $3Billion on super Capital projects which inlude International
Aiports, Deep Sea Ports, Economic Hubs, Indstrial Hubs, IPP,Mordern inter/intra city rail transport systems (Mono rails) and Educational Facilites.

The Economic Emergence of Lagos was a result of Lagos becoming both the Political and Economic Capital of Nigeria for more than 50 years
Lagos was the Gateway to Nigeria having Nigeria's only 3 Deep Sea port where all manner of Economic goods like Cars, Equipment, even Fuel going to every other Commercial City in Nigeria
had to pass through Lagos enroute to Kano , Aba , Onitsha

Nigerias Maritime Hub which is bigger than the Banking industry and which i estimate is about 1/5 of the GDP of Nigeria is in Apapa alone despite Nigeria's Vast Coastal area
The Banking industry which is also about 1/5 of the GDP of Nigeria has its Headquaters in Lagos, Nigerias oil Industry which is about 1/3 of the GDP of Nigeria
has its Headquaters in Lagos , this makes Lagos the most Economic Important City In Nigeria.The Multi Billion Naira Telecom Industry that accounted for much of Nigeria's Growth
has its Headquaters in Lagos.
This has made Lagos the most sought after City in Nigeria with Yorubas leaving their Former Capital Ibadan and Adopting Lagos as their New Capital
it has also made Business men particularly of Eastern Origin Adopting Lagos as their Business Capital which hitherto was Aba , Onitsha and Nnewi

If in doubt please name any other industry or economic Hub in Lagos that is outside these 4 industries in Lagos

With the Gas Industry moving to Niger Delta some significant attraction of Gas related industry will be seen moving to Niger Delta
and with Re emergence of Onitsha as a Trading Giant City with Clsuters of Industries and with the building of world class infrastures like Monorails, Sea ports, international Airports
Economic Activities will once again remerge within that axis.

The Beautiful thing though is that these Cities are contigous to one Another and with a very good network of roads/rails inter city travels/transportation will atmost take between 20 minutes to 70 minutes
Niger Delta Axis of Delta, Rivers,Akwa ibom.

The next in line to the Niger Delta Economic Axis States is the Eastern Economic Hub Cities of Aba (the most industrialied City in Nigeria outside Lagos ...GEJ 2008)
Onitsha /Nnewi Commercial Capital (commercial city of Nigeria's Brain Box .... GEJ) , Imo Nigeria's Education Capital (produces far more Graduates than Any Nigerian State)

Then you have Kogi state which would have been Number 3 to Lagos ,Abuja Port Harcourt if Ajaokuta Had worked
The first Economic Factor in Nigeria is Oil , and next to oil is the Maritime Economy , then Banking Industry, Telecommunication ,
see below som world cities and their economic functions

World City Survey resultsRank City Best category
1 London Quality of life (1.) Knowledge and influence (1.) Economic activity (1.)
2 New York City Knowledge and influence (2.) Economic activity (2.)
3 Hong Kong Economic activity (3.)
4 Paris Knowledge and influence (4.)
5 Singapore Quality of life (2.)
6 Miami Quality of life (9.)
7 Geneva Quality of life (4.)
8 Shanghai Economic activity (4.)
9 Beijing Political power (4.)
10 Berlin Political power (6.)
11 Moscow Economic activity (12.)
12 Rome Political power (12.)
13 Dubai Economic activity (7.)
14 Monaco Quality of life (16.)
15 Frankfurt Political power (8.)
16 Madrid Economic activity (11.)
17 Vancouver Quality of life (8.)
18 São Paulo Economic activity (16.)
19 Tokyo Economic activity (9.)
20 Mexico City Political power (14.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 15, 2012
^^^ what's all these rambling about? all these nonsense of Niger delta is all in your head. Did the people who publish the article say they don't know about delta ni? Abi dem no sabi aba? Guy go rest!

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by kettykin: 7:52am On Dec 15, 2012
Josh090: ^^^ what's all these rambling about? all these nonsense of Niger delta is all in your head. Did the people who publish the article say they don't know about delta ni? Abi dem no sabi aba? Guy go rest!

What i am saying in a nutshell is that what drives City growth is money/cashflow irrespective of if the money comes from Mining or trading or Manufacturing or any other means , the more money / cashflow a city will have the more growth the City will witness.
Niger Delta has Kidnapping but it will never drive away crude oil exploration nor the attendant cash flow this basically is driving the growth of Niger Delta there is also Kidnapping in Ibadan where the wife of Oluwole Rotimi was kidnapped , does that not matter to you. infact Ibdadn has other problems like Gang Robbery and NURTW wars and Dirtiness which Niger Delta Does not have.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by omowolewa: 8:02am On Dec 15, 2012
Ishilove: Please don't crucify or cuss me.

Someone told me that as at three years ago, 1 out of every 10 persons on the streets of Ibadan is a lunatic. He said everywhere he looked, there was at least one mad person per street.

Can anyone confirm this?

Please don't cuss or crucify me, I am only asking a question o!

The guy must be very sane to have used his precious time counting the number on lunatics on the street, maybe he got the report from the association of lunatics. It takes an insider to know that 10% of 3m population are insane.

Sagamite:

Rubbish roads!

Common sense is not really common. It pains me when all I could see where I was expecting wisdom is ful!shness.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 15, 2012
Did Egypt crush their pyramids?
Greece didn't crush the pathenon
Rome didn't crush their historical sites
The Mexicans still have their Aztec ancestry intact
Go to china,ask how many of their ancient temples they've crushed.

Do U̶̲̥̅̊ knw that those red roofs are a source of income and tourist attraction to some pple?
I payed just to get a View from Bowers tower,a very tall buiding more than Hundred steps just to view the 'rusty roofs'.

Do U̶̲̥̅̊ knw how many oyinbo's are in the University of Ibadan studying Yoruba

Do U̶̲̥̅̊ knw that these Oyinbo pple appreciate the rich cultural history of Ibadan?

Do U̶̲̥̅̊ knw that Ibadan has modern and planned stuructures (houses) Akobo,New Bodija,Challenge,jerico,seceteriat etc?

We Nigerians don't appreciate ђã†̥ we have,that's why we are where we are.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 15, 2012
veraponpo:
The reality you dont want to face is that Ibadan is not in the class of any eastern cities. Ibadan is well industrialized I believe after Lagos and Ogun or better than Ogun state but far better than any Eastern state. It is big, With over 3 milion people
It is a good market for Foreign direct investment, small scale companies as well as agriculture. If you dont like Ibadan, you can go and hug power plant.
and wat is d word ,'Eastern' doing in ur post or did ur fellow 'arguee' mention dat term. Mind ur self

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Anambra: Gunmen Attack APGA Rally, Hold Obiano’s Convoy Hostage / Pro-Buhari Rally Staged In Abuja (Photos) / Army Recalls 149 Soldiers Dismissed For Fleeing Over Lack Of Equipment To Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.