Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,986 members, 7,814,362 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? (11217 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious / ***Is Christianity Becoming Too Superstitious And Beggarly Or What??*** / What If I'm A Muslim And Believe Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
Op, not all Nigerians are superstitious. I don't believe in a news that an evil spirit is flying across express roads to cause accidents when the driver is drunk, overspeeding or falling asleep, when the road is damaged etc. Witchcraft is also not responsible for sickness in an unclean environment or a malaria caused by mosquito bite or HIV/AIDS caused by blood contact.
But for juju things, it exist for real. There's Juju money (Blood Money), juju love, witchcraft etc. You have to experience certain real life situations to believe all these.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by moneyhungry(m): 3:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
Ada Nri1: I don't believe in juju.
But I know that we battle not flesh n blood but against principalities and powers, rulers of darkness...Ephesians 6:12.
But the power in Christ Jesus has conqured!
my friend, shataap there!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 19, 2012
Everyone is superstitious in one way or the other,it mustnt necessarily have to be a belief in juju/voodoo/black magic...We are all superstitious simple.

Ever heard statements like...Arsenal never wins whenever Theo Walcott scores first..

Whenever red sox loses during US presidential election yr,..democrats loses..some statement like that.

I remember a reading something about a construction worker burying some object at the stadium of a rival base ball team...The team found out and had to exhume that particular object..

There are still haunted houses all over the western world and yes very smart,intelligent,well educated and rational people do contract ghost hunters.

Psychic detectives are normally employed to solve some cases in the UK and US.

If you believe in life after death,paranormals or religious,you will be superstitious.

Its the degree of your belief that matters..

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
babaearly: all these juju claims is a thing of the MIND

There is a thing line between realism and idealism.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
mazaje: Why are Nigerians too superstitious and believe too much in this juju myth?. . .

Why do Nigerians keep believing all all these nonsense?. . .I am not talking about rural dwellers, am talking about university educated people that attended universities in Europe and America. . .A friend was telling me just yesterday that evil spirits are now flying all over Nigerian roads killing people because its december and they know that people travel a lot, This is a man that we are doing PHD together . . .How can an educated person reason like this?. . .Many people I know here still believe that evil spirits and witches still spread diseases around. . .Many educated Nigerians believe they can use juju to get money, get women/men etc. . . .Just recently I was watching discovery science and they were doing a show about a bra that can detect cancer and notify the woman wearing it while Nigerians are busy blaming cancer on witches or evil spirit somewhere. . .How can we move forward when the educated ones still hold unto expired age long mythical beliefs that can never help us solve any of our problems?. . .

It all boils down to simple laziness on the part of those who are superstitious, educated or not. I mean why else will a human being equipped with a fully functional brain believe what he/she is told without carrying out at least a general investigation of some sort to ensure that what he/she is told can be tied to some fact of some sort?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by AtheistD(m): 3:36pm On Dec 19, 2012
Pain: Interesting. But how do we reconcile cases of people who openly confess to practicing witchcraft? Or are they merely seeking notice or popularity at the expense of their reputation?

Schizophrenic, psychologically or mentally impaired, deluded, low IQ?

How do ppl explain magic tricks like Derren Brown?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by elopee3000(m): 3:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
Yes is true in western Nigeria for a example yoruba don't spread thier washed cloth out side till morning I ask them they said because of witches,then another one yoruba people can never go outside to urinate in the night reason they said cus of seeing witches they urinate inside plastic rubber inside thier rooms morning they trow it away. The don't make mouth whistle in the night they said it brings ants out from thier holes
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
k2039:
Find a witch, slap her and tell her you will be travelling by road the following day and that she can't stop you from having a safe trip.

Let me know the outcome of this experiment when you eventually try it.

The devil surely has his own followers !
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by GentleNaaz(m): 3:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
Evil spirits r ubiquiteous. I cn c dm here on Nairaland, lookn 4 who wl comment d worst against dm. But by d rising of d anoitn, i release da hoooollllyyyyy ghhooossstttt..... Ffffiiiiiirrrrrreeeee..... Oku gbawa ha

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by purplekayc(m): 3:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
after all the African magic on DSTV ? what do you expect??
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by tchaik(m): 3:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
mazaje:

Have you tested it and seen for yourself?. . .What exactly is the evidence to show that witches are the cause of road accidents in Nigeria?. . .
Brother, you don't believe in Juju right? How about Para-Normal Activities? (Is that not what learned pple like you call it?) It very ironical when Oyinbo scoffs at our Juju/Amadioha/Sango etc, but still believe in para-normal / supernatural phenomena/metaphysical/ mysterious etc! (Pls feel free to use any nomencleture) I'm very sceptical about juju, but I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND, SOME SHHITS THAT SCIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REASONING CAN'T EXPLAIN! I don't understand how it works, but I keep away from it! WHY? Cos I don't understand it, and what you don't know is bigger than you!
JUST DON'T MESS WITH WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Gabrielsylar(m): 3:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
because the creation of nigeria was based on a british superstition
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
I weep for the ignorance of many nigerians- being afraid of fairy tales.

Ask yourself, why has it not been demonstrated on NTA or someone with a camera phone hasnt uploaded a video showing live footage of these juju?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by tchaik(m): 3:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by GentleNaaz(m): 3:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
U r still alive sheh? One day u go believe by experience
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by AtheistD(m): 3:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by GentleNaaz(m): 3:47pm On Dec 19, 2012
Logicboy03: I weep for the ignorance of many nigerians- being afraid of fairy tales. Nolly wood don hs accustomed u guy

Ask yourself, why has it not been demonstrated on NTA or someone with a camera phone hasnt uploaded a video showing live footage of these juju?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by omiobo: 3:47pm On Dec 19, 2012
Wizard and witches exist. According to bible,we fight against principality and rulers of darkness.
At the mention of Jesus,wizard and witches are on the run.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by dnawah(m): 3:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
Juju dey 9ja wela.iyibo self no say juju dey.d people way produced supernatural no be fools,go watch am and see 4 urself.things dey this world,only if God open ur eyes to see u go Know.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by joebless: 3:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
We shouldn't believe in things like this, just commit yourselves in the hand of God your creator
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Whymee: 3:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
The only way forward is to start a strong campaign to stop the electronics media, deceiving viewer that this things exist.

NOLLYWOOD, African magic Yoruba, etc.
our reasoning has been adulterated, and this is the only reason why we have large congregations in churches, Asalatu etc.

They set the ball rolling by deceived you in believing you have been jinx,
You will then be confused, seeking for solutions, coupled with the mindset you have since your kids days
You begin to wonder, wonder till you turns to wonderer.

Not until is see documentary on Natgeo wild before I will believe.

See a forest or bush in Nigeria movie signifies demon coming to pursue you
See a river or sea in Nigeria movie signifies mammy water or set of beautify girls living under the ocean
See the cloud in Nigeria movie signifies apportioning of destiny by "GOD" or a dead man sent back to earth,
See a snake, it will transform to human being.
Be financially ok amidst your peer, you have transform their furtunes to yours.

Why, why, why
Help, help, help

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by InvertedHammer: 3:53pm On Dec 19, 2012
Logicboy03: I weep for the ignorance of many nigerians- being afraid of fairy tales.

Because when juju starts its manifestation, na the person with camera go first tear race
cool
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by ektbear: 3:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
A good question.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 19, 2012
InvertedHammer:

Because when juju starts its manifestation, na the person with camera go first tear race
cool

Yet people have filmed wars, nuclear bombs and tsunamis.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Optimisticgondy(m): 3:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
@OP. Go to my village and let them hit you with ANASARE ring. You'll run from there to Ghana. It's what I've witnessed on different occasions, especially on election days. Juju dey o, but na bad ones plenty for naija. My friend once used a ring slap a guy more than 10 times without retaliating in my presence at a party then during my secondary school day
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by AtheistD(m): 3:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
InvertedHammer:

cool

There are always excuses grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Virtue11: 3:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
@OP,
I know Nigerian are bit superstitious but that does not equate the absence of evil powers even in western world. It is just that it is not as prominent as in Africa. Please don't let your PhD certificate deceive you, there are principalities and powers even from the time of Jesus Christ.Your PhD certificate amount to nothing if you don't have a supernatural covering(me I have Jesus blood oooo). He that keep his mouth will keep his life. Have you not heard and seen how a man got stuck in another mans wife the last time on you tube?. Which of the science can explain that? There are many scholars and even firm believers who have surpassed what you think you have achieved(Intending PhD certificate)but know that powers of darkness do exist. And whether you believe it or not, every physical manifestation has a spiritual undertone.( whether of God or the Devil). Or do you think the alarming rate of suicide in Europe is just ordinary? There are many things the white scientist cannot even explain. Please if you don,t have Jesus, don,t talk your mouth into problem. Even ignorance, carelessness and stubbornness which are the main cause of accident are usually accentuated by the powers of darkness in someones life before the person will meet his Waterloo. A word is enough for the wise.PhD certificate is nothing than a mere career life. It has nothing to do with spirituality.

Hope you will understand.

thanks
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Kobojunkie: 4:00pm On Dec 19, 2012
Virtue_11: @OP,
I know Nigerian are bit superstitious but that does not equate the absence of evil powers even in western world. It is just that it is not as prominent as in Africa. Please don't let your PhD certificate deceive you, there are principalities and powers even from the time of Jesus Christ.Your PhD certificate amount to nothing if you don't have a supernatural covering(me I have Jesus blood oooo). He that keep his mouth will keep his life. Have you not heard and seen how a man got stuck in another mans wife the last time on you tube?. Which of the science can explain that? There are many scholars and even firm believers who have surpassed what you think you have achieved(Intending PhD certificate)but know that powers of darkness do exist. And whether you believe it or not, every physical manifestation has a spiritual undertone.( whether of God or the Devil). Or do you think the alarming rate of suicide in Europe is just ordinary? There are many things the white scientist cannot even explain. Please if you don,t have Jesus, don,t talk your mouth into problem. Even ignorance, carelessness and stubbornness which are the main cause of accident are usually accentuated by the powers of darkness in someones life before the person will meet his Waterloo. A word is enough for the wise.PhD certificate is nothing than a mere career life. It has nothing to do with spirituality.

Hope you will understand.

thanks

Gibberish!! Look, the same principalities exist every where else on the globe, right? The question here is why do Africans in general focus so much of their attention on the principalities etc and less attention on Life itself and living it, exploring and living to the fullest? You almost get the sense that the average African was created to spend more than 75% of life roaming the earth searching out principalities in fear, spending so much less of that precious time on actually bettering self and the world around em.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Horlawoomey(m): 4:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
I have seen a person that was stab without a mark. . . . . . I have seen a person that collapsed because he was wiped by some kind of cane.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by mazaje(m): 4:02pm On Dec 19, 2012
tchaik:
Brother, you don't believe in Juju right? How about Para-Normal Activities? (Is that not what learned pple like you call it?) It very ironical when Oyinbo scoffs at our Juju/Amadioha/Sango etc, but still believe in para-normal / supernatural phenomena/metaphysical/ mysterious etc! (Pls feel free to use any nomencleture) I'm very sceptical about juju, but I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND, SOME SHHITS THAT SCIENCE, EDUCATION, AND REASONING CAN'T EXPLAIN! I don't understand how it works, but I keep away from it! WHY? Cos I don't understand it, and what you don't know is bigger than you!
JUST DON'T MESS WITH WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW!

What the hell is para normal activities? I hope you know that they haven't been established to exist any where . . .James Randi has offered 1 million dollars to any body that can prove that para normal activities exist in a controlled environment, and up till today no body has come forward to claim the award. One thing I notice with we Nigerians is our love for short cuts . . .We dont wasnt to reason we just love the shortest way out . . .

Some white people also be believe in these things but they investigate and study its veracity . . .The problem with us Nigerians is that we are so closed minded and do not want to test what ever it is that we claim are supernatural. . .Some white people also believe in the supernatural and they agreed to have their claims or supernatural abilities tested on camera. . .Most of their claims failed when tested but at least they were open minded and accepted the invitation of James Randi a man who is willing to give out a million dollars to any body that can fully demonstrate his supernatural abilities. . . .

Here are some videos. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6U8m2l5QY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9EBGI29e2o

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Horlawoomey(m): 4:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
I have seen a person that was stab without a mark. . . . . . I have seen a person that collapsed because he was wiped by some kind of cane. SIR, YOU STILL DON'T KNOW ANYTHING BECAUSE THE WITCHES OF YOUR VILLAGE LET YOU BE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2014 Rapture Signs To Watch For / 3 Lessons To Learn From The Parable Of Wheat And Tares / Warnings From Jesus Christ To Churches in Nigeria - Linda Ngaujah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.