Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,962 members, 7,814,257 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? (11216 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious / ***Is Christianity Becoming Too Superstitious And Beggarly Or What??*** / What If I'm A Muslim And Believe Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by trolling(m): 4:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
Logicboy03:

Lol....what a real christian slave. I bet the guy prefers churches with a white Jesus!
u gat me cracking on that one lol

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by dmcdad: 4:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
mazaje: Why are Nigerians too superstitious and believe too much in this juju myth?. . .

Why do Nigerians keep believing all all these nonsense?. . .I am not talking about rural dwellers, am talking about university educated people that attended universities in Europe and America. . .A friend was telling me just yesterday that evil spirits are now flying all over Nigerian roads killing people because its december and they know that people travel a lot, This is a man that we are doing PHD together . . .How can an educated person reason like this?. . .Many people I know here still believe that evil spirits and witches still spread diseases around. . .Many educated Nigerians believe they can use juju to get money, get women/men etc. . . .Just recently I was watching discovery science and they were doing a show about a bra that can detect cancer and notify the woman wearing it while Nigerians are busy blaming cancer on witches or evil spirit somewhere. . .How can we move forward when the educated ones still hold unto expired age long mythical beliefs that can never help us solve any of our problems?. . .

Hey! I am really against superstitions but then the aforementioned ain't superstitions. They are as real as you and I. the earlier you believe it, the better. I don't know if you are a Nigerian, and if you are, did you live here for a considerable period of time? Unless you live here and experience certain things yourself, or get facts from the horses' mouths, then you might find it hard to believe in them... Juju is as real as the heavens and the earth. Even as Christians, we all know it exist but then, we know we are safe because we are in the hands of the Almighty One.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
trolling:
read your bible you'll know they exist and you can goggle it phd holder

Okay dude...give us the chapter and the verse of the Bible where it was shown that witches cause auto accidents and illnesses. I will be waiting .

The simple fact is that a lot of Nigerians are ignorant and believe in hooky poky. On the front page of NL a video of eagle lifting a baby for lunch was posted. If it had been Nigeria, we would have blame witches and wizards. Some could have attributed it to some demonic act. Some of us are simply dumb and cannot reason beyond our noses.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by trolling(m): 5:04pm On Dec 19, 2012
omonuan:

Okay dude...give us the chapter and the verse of the Bible where it was shown that witches cause auto accidents and illnesses. I will be waiting
...there are bad roads of course and demons creates chaos,sorrows,mischief... evil things happen against people because evil exist and i do remember the scriptures saying you shall not allow witches to live
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by tayeola24yahoo: 5:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
Sunymoore: Is because sime ppl like <del>TB Joshua</del> or sorry i mean some preachers exists.
may God Almighty forgive you with d nonsense comment.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 19, 2012
trolling:
...there are bad roads of course and demons creates chaos,sorrows,mischief... evil things happen against people because evil exist and i do remember the scriptures saying you shall not allow witches to live

You have not really answered my question. Just show me the chapter of the Bible where it is stated that witches cause auto accidents and illnesses. Anything else is balderdash, I don't want to argue with you in superfluous way. Give me the evidence or forever hold thy peace.

Even with excellent roads in most advanced nations, accidents still kill thousands a year....there are many factors that lead to auto accidents, negligence of drivers, drugs and alcohol, speed, texting etc. Witches are not one of the root causes believe me or not. Those of you superstition grandees have abstract descriptions of your fears as real facts but I submit to you that when the chips are down you really don't have any evidence.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Mavrick2012: 5:14pm On Dec 19, 2012
babaearly: all these juju claims is a thing of the MIND
u rite broda.an uncles house is close 2 a burial ground.dey alleged 2 hav bin hearin difrent kinds of noise at nite.dey are curently planin to relocate.i visited dem somtimes last wik.i dont know if its because of my unbliv in "spirit" dat didnt alow me hear any sound tru out my 3nites there.his eldest son who shear my line of blv also told me he doesnt hear any sound.i tinks its just a tin of d mind.ALUCINATN,SCHIZO,ILUTN,DELUTN etc
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 19, 2012
A country full of mostly idiots who look up to imbeciles and is ruled by morons is the type that can't eradicate polio but believe in miracles and other types of shenanigans that have no basis in logic or common sense.

A global vaccination campaign has eradicated the disease from everywhere except Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/19/us-pakistan-polio-idUSBRE8BI08Q20121219

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by felifeli: 5:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
mazaje: Why are Nigerians too superstitious and believe too much in this juju myth?. . .

Why do Nigerians keep believing all all these nonsense?. . .I am not talking about rural dwellers, am talking about university educated people that attended universities in Europe and America. . .A friend was telling me just yesterday that evil spirits are now flying all over Nigerian roads killing people because its december and they know that people travel a lot, This is a man that we are doing PHD together . . .How can an educated person reason like this?. . .Many people I know here still believe that evil spirits and witches still spread diseases around. . .Many educated Nigerians believe they can use juju to get money, get women/men etc. . . .Just recently I was watching discovery science and they were doing a show about a bra that can detect cancer and notify the woman wearing it while Nigerians are busy blaming cancer on witches or evil spirit somewhere. . .How can we move forward when the educated ones still hold unto expired age long mythical beliefs that can never help us solve any of our problems?. . .

Small pikin dey worry you.Winsh never give you kungfu before na him dey make you talk grammar.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Mavrick2012: u rite broda.an uncles house is close 2 a burial ground.dey alleged 2 hav bin hearin difrent kinds of noise at nite.dey are curently planin to relocate.i visited dem somtimes last wik.i dont know if its because of my unbliv in "spirit" dat didnt alow me hear any sound tru out my 3nites there.his eldest son who shear my line of blv also told me he doesnt hear any sound.i tinks its just a tin of d mind.ALUCINATN,SCHIZO,ILUTN,DELUTN etc

This is all in their minds. In most southern parts of Nigeria, people bury their loved ones inside their houses. Most traditional neighborhoods are nothing but cemeteries. In my family house for example three generations are buried there. So are all the nearby houses. So in effect we all live inside cemeteries in most parts of Nigeria but because it is not designated as such, we don't think about it but once a cemetery is known we allow our Nigerian minds to play tricks on us.

The average neighborhood in southern Nigerian villages has more dead buried than a cemetery in New York City. In fact 99 percent of the dead in my home town in Delta state are buried inside the houses. There is no official cemetery in my town. The 1% are buried inside bushes for lack of houses to bury them.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by 175(m): 5:44pm On Dec 19, 2012
@ Op
Even d mods here are witches n wizards. Pyguru na im bad pass. Sexkillz n co chop winch. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by AtheistD(m): 5:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
greaterlove: History has taught us that creativity dies when superstitious believes reign, we all know how the whole world was at stand still during the dark ages because of the rise of superstitious beliefs. I had a physics lecturer who told us in class that all electronic gadgets have a demon in them, from our calculators to our tv at home and that if we cant 'invoke' such spirits into our design we wont be able to build even a transistor radio, i thank God i never believed him then. Kids in India, japan, Korea, Brazil are doing wonders while we are still held down because of our belief in superstitions.

Our power minister said demons were behind our power problems shocked
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by greaterlove(m): 6:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
Atheist:-D:

Our power minister said demons were behind our power problems shocked
U will be amazed at the type of people who hold such views.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by rusher14: 7:14pm On Dec 19, 2012
If after living with these superstitions for years and nothing has improved in our society, isn't it time we changed our philosophy?
Not one person can prove any of these things instead you read: principalities and powers and a whole lot of gibberish.
In other words: let's see if a paradigm shift would not lead to a positive development.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by AtheistD(m): 7:16pm On Dec 19, 2012
greaterlove:
U will be amazed at the type of people who hold such views.

Half of them are probably on nairaland tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
175: @ Op
Even d mods here are witches n wizards. Pyguru na im bad pass. Sexkillz n co chop winch. . .
Dry
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by trolling(m): 8:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
omonuan:

Okay dude...give us the chapter and the verse of the Bible where it was shown that witches cause auto accidents and illnesses. I will be waiting .

The simple fact is that a lot of Nigerians are ignorant and believe in hooky poky. On the front page of NL a video of eagle lifting a baby for lunch was posted. If it had been Nigeria, we would have blame witches and wizards. Some could have attributed it to some demonic act. Some of us are simply dumb and cannot reason beyond our noses.
lol...who said witches cause accidents?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Lovexme(m): 8:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
Not only are Nigerians superstitious, but also very spiritual to a fault.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Cmoyor: 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
dats naija for u cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Joeblis(m): 8:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
You guys should stop deceiving ur yourselves...oyibo superstitous pass us..wetng be MERLIN?magic or juju?what of superman batman witch nor dey fly?what of lord of rings?what of that film wey dem dey us stick do magic?abi magic no be the same as juju??spare me TRASH pls
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Dec 19, 2012
Joeblis: You guys should stop deceiving ur yourselves...oyibo superstitous pass us..wetng be MERLIN?magic or juju?what of superman batman witch nor dey fly?what of lord of rings?what of that film wey dem dey us stick do magic?abi magic no be the same as juju??spare me TRASH pls

lmao.....Merlin and Batman are called fantasy + scifi!! Oyibo no believe am!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Dec 19, 2012
Dear Superstition,

I have landed man into the Moon, removed a bullet from the brain of a congresswoman shot at close range, invented cures for diseases you would have otherwise blamed witches for, invented mobile technology, e.t.c... I am still in the process of solving problems as logical minds understand me better. I know you have captured the minds of the weak, but I sincerely plead you let them go. Superstitious minds you have enslaved are a threat to my civilization. Pls let dem go...

Yours Sincerely,

Science....

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Joeblis(m): 8:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
Logicboy03:

lmao.....Merlin and Batman are called fantasy + scifi!! Oyibo no believe am!
what of harrypotter?..ok what about vampire?..witch do suck blood too.oyibo like using the word "magic" and "fantasy" to cover up their mess
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 19, 2012
Joeblis: what of harrypotter?..ok what about vampire?..witch do suck blood too.oyibo like using the word "magic" and "fantasy" to cover up their mess

You believe in vampires? You get problem
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by trolling(m): 8:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
[quote author=Logicboy03]

You believe in vampires? You get problem[/quote...the wicked elites are vampires only if u know what they do at their coves or secret lodges... even among the religious organizations
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by trolling(m): 8:45pm On Dec 19, 2012
Joeblis: You guys should stop deceiving ur yourselves...oyibo superstitous pass us..wetng be MERLIN?magic or juju?what of superman batman witch nor dey fly?what of lord of rings?what of that film wey dem dey us stick do magic?abi magic no be the same as juju??spare me TRASH pls
actually they are their gods e.g superman,etc
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by edogho(m): 9:04pm On Dec 19, 2012
Gentle Naaz: guy ebi lik say dy neva do u juju b4. Just pray so dat u dnt fall victim
don't mind dem. Na wikipedia be their teacher. Inexperience wey dey worry dem. I dey d field b4 and i don ask dem question u know wetin dem tell me? Dem say i'm ignorant. Who come ignorant? Me dey speak from experience dem dey talk from written info from wikipedia. D meaning of ignorance don change because some think say na dem get knowledge pass.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by mazaje(m): 9:12pm On Dec 19, 2012
edogho: don't mind dem. Na wikipedia be their teacher. Inexperience wey dey worry dem. I dey d field b4 and i don ask dem question u know wetin dem tell me? Dem say i'm ignorant. Who come ignorant? Me dey speak from experience dem dey talk from written info from wikipedia. D meaning of ignorance don change because some think say na dem get knowledge pass.

You don ever personally test any of the juju nonsense wey you dey hear before see say na true?. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Lenny5000(m): 11:18pm On Dec 19, 2012

Your post is somewhat confusing... Are you talking or asking if JUJU Exist? Or that people are saying they could use Juju to kill or make money? Here is what I think. What most of us or the world hold as Scientific, is the Western worlds definition of Science but we also have Eastern Science (Mystics, Yogis...etc) African Science (Juju? Powers?) whatever you choose to call it. Truth is all these exists. There are Ritual Killings in Nigeria where you see the dead body of a girl laying on the street with her tongue or breast gone! I hope you dont believe the people that are doing these disgusting acts were planning to eat the breast or tongue?... They use these for money Rituals..etc You dont need Discovery Channel to document all these for them to be true... I have seen so many things on Discovery that defies human understanding, so this has nothing to do with where you live or how educated you are, truth is there are dark forces, Black Magic, Blood sacrifice, Witches, Wizards, Principalities, Powers and Yeap a lot of these western people believe in them too, just that they dont advertise or talk about it in the open ...They have Secret Societies, Lodges, Cults, Satan Worshipers..etc If you believe in GOD, then you must also believe there is SATAN. Same way man has access to GOD, so also same tap into the Satanic realm and connect, so this has nothing to do with how many PHD you have..etc. It is real! I am a Christian that have lived most of my life in the west and I take my time to study everything and not just swallow things because it's coming from the West. Evolution that they have taught all along has no Scientific backings yet they have pushed it down our throat and hailed it as science all because they want to wipe GOD out of our memory and this are the same people that are not into Witchcraft and Juju? Lying and trying to wipe GOD out of schools and everything else is already witchcraft and juju joined together.. Look at the American dollars and it's filled with Occultic symbols and you are saying only Nigerians believe in these things..
I will stop here

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by rusher14: 11:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
Lenny5000:

Your post is somewhat confusing... Are you talking or asking if JUJU Exist? Or that people are saying they could use Juju to kill or make money? Here is what I think. What most of us or the world hold as Scientific, is the Western worlds definition of Science but we also have Eastern Science (Mystics, Yogis...etc) African Science (Juju? Powers?) whatever you choose to call it. Truth is all these exists. There are Ritual Killings in Nigeria where you see the dead body of a girl laying on the street with her tongue or breast gone! I hope you dont believe the people that are doing these disgusting acts were planning to eat the breast or tongue?... They use these for money Rituals..etc You dont need Discovery Channel to document all these for them to be true... I have seen so many things on Discovery that defies human understanding, so this has nothing to do with where you live or how educated you are, truth is there are dark forces, Black Magic, Blood sacrifice, Witches, Wizards, Principalities, Powers and Yeap a lot of these western people believe in them too, just that they dont advertise or talk about it in the open ...They have Secret Societies, Lodges, Cults, Satan Worshipers..etc If you believe in GOD, then you must also believe there is SATAN. Same way man has access to GOD, so also same tap into the Satanic realm and connect, so this has nothing to do with how many PHD you have..etc. It is real! I am a Christian that have lived most of my life in the west and I take my time to study everything and not just swallow things because it's coming from the West. Evolution that they have taught all along has no Scientific backings yet they have pushed it down our throat and hailed it as science all because they want to wipe GOD out of our memory and this are the same people that are not into Witchcraft and Juju? Lying and trying to wipe GOD out of schools and everything else is already witchcraft and juju joined together.. Look at the American dollars and it's filled with Occultic symbols and you are saying only Nigerians believe in these things..
I will stop here
You need to stop there.
Truth is we are too superstitious which in turn makes us believe in money rituals.
Are the notes made from rituals CBN notes?
The lazy man (not referring to you specifically) uses the excuse of research done by the white people as jazz.
We should keep wasting away the most important resource man can ever have and that's our brain.
Advancement comes from research which follows logic which defies superstition, simples.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by rusher14: 11:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
Lenny5000:

I will stop here
You need to stop there.
Truth is we are too superstitious which in turn makes us believe in money rituals.
Are the notes made from rituals CBN notes?
The lazy man (not referring to you specifically) uses the excuse of research done by the white people as jazz.
We should keep wasting away the most important resource man can ever have and that's our brain.
Advancement comes from research which follows logic which defies superstition, simples.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2014 Rapture Signs To Watch For / 3 Lessons To Learn From The Parable Of Wheat And Tares / Warnings From Jesus Christ To Churches in Nigeria - Linda Ngaujah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.