Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,943 members, 7,814,192 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? (11215 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious / ***Is Christianity Becoming Too Superstitious And Beggarly Or What??*** / What If I'm A Muslim And Believe Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by duni04(m): 4:04pm On Dec 19, 2012
Don't think its a Nigerian thing. Everywhere there's poverty or lack, people need something to hope for or look forward to, something to rescue them from their lack and also someone to blame for their lack. Its just classic human nature, not a Nigerian thing though Nigerians have a way of taking everything to the extreme

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 19, 2012
Horlawoomey: I have seen a person that was stab without a mark. . . . . . I have seen a person that collapsed because he was wiped by some kind of cane. SIR, YOU STILL DON'T KNOW ANYTHING BECAUSE THE WITCHES OF YOUR VILLAGE LET YOU BE.

Lolz...rubber knife and heart problems.

cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by ManofSteel1: 4:04pm On Dec 19, 2012
because being superstitious is the easiest way to blame your failure,poverty,and headache on the devil(or his accomplices)for your lack of initiative,laziness,gullibility or commom sense etc which many fake men of God amplify and capitalise on to milk you dry.THE DEVIL IS A LIAR?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
duni04: Don't think its a Nigerian thing. Everywhere there's poverty or lack, people need something to hope for or look forward to, something to rescue them from their lack and also someone to blame for their lack. Its just classic human nature, not a Nigerian thing though Nigerians have a way of taking everything to the extreme

1000 likes! wink
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by coldgate(f): 4:06pm On Dec 19, 2012
cheesy tongue[img][/img]
kokoye: The same reason we are overly religious
Because only Nigerians will get to Heaven.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Dec 19, 2012
Horlawoomey: I have seen a person that was stab without a mark. . . . . . I have seen a person that collapsed because he was wiped by some kind of cane. SIR, YOU STILL DON'T KNOW ANYTHING BECAUSE THE WITCHES OF YOUR VILLAGE LET YOU BE.

Did you check the knife to be sure it was not a prop knife? A person that collapsed because he was flogged with some kind of cane? Are you serious? Did you even make sure that person was in good health before that happened?

By the way, both of your suggestions can be repeated. Walk up to an American kid with one of those canes and try to whip em with it, that kid will collapse even before you hit em. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by aribisala0(m): 4:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
mazaje: Why are Nigerians too superstitious and believe too much in this juju myth?. . .

Why do Nigerians keep believing all all these nonsense?. . .I am not talking about rural dwellers, am talking about university educated people that attended universities in Europe and America. . .A friend was telling me just yesterday that evil spirits are now flying all over Nigerian roads killing people because its december and they know that people travel a lot, This is a man that we are doing PHD together . . .How can an educated person reason like this?. . .Many people I know here still believe that evil spirits and witches still spread diseases around. . .Many educated Nigerians believe they can use juju to get money, get women/men etc. . . .Just recently I was watching discovery science and they were doing a show about a bra that can detect cancer and notify the woman wearing it while Nigerians are busy blaming cancer on witches or evil spirit somewhere. . .How can we move forward when the educated ones still hold unto expired age long mythical beliefs that can never help us solve any of our problems?. . .
I think i have sussed you out!You are an evil spirit trying to convince people to drop their guard by saying there are none then you will pounce.Just yesterday ; Poo in the toilet won't flush after 10 attempts !How do you explain that
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Roland17(m): 4:08pm On Dec 19, 2012
Our Culture which is our identity firmly believes in the existence of the Metaphysical realm, thus irrespective of religious belief we are bound to consider superstitions.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by AtheistD(m): 4:10pm On Dec 19, 2012
aribisala0:
I think i have sussed you out!You are an evil spirit trying to convince people to drop their guard by saying there are none then you will pounce.Just yesterday ; Poo in the toilet won't flush after 10 attempts !How do you explain that

No water in the septic tank grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Ikocyztem: 4:13pm On Dec 19, 2012
i think dis one is personal.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Virtue11: 4:16pm On Dec 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Gibberish!! Look, the same principalities exist every where else on the globe, right? The question here is why do Africans in general focus so much of their attention on the principalities etc and less attention on Life itself and living it, exploring and living to the fullest? You almost get the sense that the average African was created to spend more than 75% of life roaming the earth searching out principalities in fear, spending so much less of that precious time on actually bettering self and the world around em.

I do not have to argue to with you but you do not have to use the world Gibberish...You made sense with what you wrote though - so many have truncated their existence because of the unnecessary amplification of the existence of spiritual powers. However,you can always make your emphases without attenuating other people point of view. Anyway it is always true. A man cannot live beyond the level of his exposure. When I tell my white friend about God..they always want the God they can see physically and hence they don't believe. Let me ask you a question, does their unbelief reduce the existence of God?..You know the answer..
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by aribisala0(m): 4:17pm On Dec 19, 2012
Atheist:-D:

No water in the septic tank grin
Guy leave that tin! Water full the cistern wella! Na evil spirits at work. When I call my guru for Remo yesterday him give me incantation na so the Poo apologise! Omo see contrition. you don see where poo dey beg person say make e no provoke??
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 19, 2012
Virtue_11:

I do not have to argue to with you but you do not have to use the world Gibberish...You made sense with what you wrote though - so many have truncated their existence because of the unnecessary amplification of the existence of spiritual powers. However,you can always make your emphases without attenuating other people point of view. Anyway it is always true. A man cannot live beyond the level of his exposure. When I tell my white friend about God..they always want the God they can see physically and hence they don't believe. Let me ask you a question, does their unbelief reduce the existence of God?..You know the answer..

Lol....the ignorance coming from your mouth.

For your sake, I hope you are not talking about the christian god. The christian god is something that white Europeans brought to your black ancestors.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by mazaje(m): 4:20pm On Dec 19, 2012
aribisala0:

Because the toilet has malfunctioned, It happens all the time. . .What other explanation do you want?. . .Are you really serious or have you lost your senses?. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by himclfgud(m): 4:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
Dem say wen army man slap you, u go knw say police na your frnd, Guy! come my village.... buy new motor ...show your self and i bet you na only 3weeks , you go sell your property take chop grin grin grin....JUJU dey like MAD, witch booku..like sand...beta watch out ooo...witch dey here too oooo grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
Personally, I think everyone on this planet is superstitious in one way or the other since we can't explain life and everything we experience daily in the physical realm... However, Nigerians always take everything to the extreme... grin

And whoever told you voodoo is fake must have sold you a dream - it's as real as the contemporary science most of you like to harp on about...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by creativemusic: 4:25pm On Dec 19, 2012
grin grin nawa oooooooo
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by aribisala0(m): 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
mazaje:

Because the toilet has malfunctioned, It happens all the time. . .What other explanation do you want?. . .Are you really serious or have you lost your senses?. . .
If ya father dey talk you fit ask am weda e lose him senses?? Na Short answer question O. No essay.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by KayDee4: 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Nigerians sometimes take it too far to blame their own carelessness and misfortunes on the devil, witches, juju, people in the village, etc, but superstitious beliefs do not always mean witchcraft or juju and it is not just a Nigerian thing, different countries have their own versions of such beliefs like someone wishing on a shooting star when they see one and believing that wish must come true.
Some of them are fun to listen to though; the ones I remember:
- If you have hiccups it means that someone somewhere is thinking or talking about you (not necessarily in a sinister way). Then you have to put a thread on your head to stop it.

- When your hands start itching for no reason, it means you're about to strike some big pay.

- When you hear an owl hooting at night, its a sign of bad omen.

- Eating in the dark is an invitation to ghosts to come eat with you.

- Whistling at night is an invitation to snakes and witches.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by mazaje(m): 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2012

That is because the knife was a prop knife. . .Its possible they were all acting. . .Do you know what magic is?. . .It invloves a lot of tricks. . .As for the [erson that was hit with a cane a collapsed, how sure are you that he was not part of the act? Do you know his health condition at that time?. . .There are no witches in my village only the myth exist. .The witches do not exist in reality. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by freecocoa(f): 4:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
I don't know about witches being responsible for all the road accidents in Nigeria but I do know juju exists.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by greaterlove(m): 4:30pm On Dec 19, 2012
History has taught us that creativity dies when superstitious believes reign, we all know how the whole world was at stand still during the dark ages because of the rise of superstitious beliefs. I had a physics lecturer who told us in class that all electronic gadgets have a demon in them, from our calculators to our tv at home and that if we cant 'invoke' such spirits into our design we wont be able to build even a transistor radio, i thank God i never believed him then. Kids in India, japan, Korea, Brazil are doing wonders while we are still held down because of our belief in superstitions.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
Let me add this:

Everything that happens in the physical realm definitely must have happened in the spiritual realm, or is controlled by the spiritual realm... That's why certain people have natural gifts of seeing into the future - however, overzealousness about the spiritual realm is what makes people superstitious...

Science is make-believe and it definitely can't explain 99.9% of what happens on this planet and our daily lives...
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Kobojunkie: 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
Virtue_11:

It is gibberish because that is what is continually used to enslave the minds of most in Africa. Yes, it does exist but that is not enough of a reason why most 70% of what comes out of your mouth has to be about it. I seriously don't endorse the idea of Africans telling white people, or any people for that matter of God because Africans DO NOT know of God or even have a clue who God is. You do not need to be a rocket scientist to know that not a lot of people out there would want to bite into any thing that Africa is currently or has been eating up since the beginning of time.

So many millions live as if life is all about obsessing about demons and principalities . . . does a God that puts you on this planet to obsess about such things sound like a God any same person would want to get on board with? HECK NO!!! In the Bible, when God sent the Israelite out to Canaan, he sent them to the land of milk and honey . . . not the land where you obsess about the unseen. So why, pray tell, do you Africans, many of whom have never even taken time to thing of these things, obsess about the unseen when life is out there for them to explore and enjoy?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by bocin500(m): 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
A famous poet(abi na writer) once said "not believing in superstitions is being superstitious".....
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Dermie: 4:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
mazaje:

Have you tested it and seen for yourself?. . .What exactly is the evidence to show that witches are the cause of road accidents in Nigeria?. . .

hey @Mazaje, dat does not mean JUJU doesnt exist...cuz, JUJU is not equal to WITCHES.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Virtue11: 4:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
Logicboy03:

Lol....the ignorance coming from your mouth.

For your sake, I hope you are not talking about the christian god. The christian god is something that white Europeans brought to your black ancestors.

Logicboy03,

With due respect to my black ancestors and White European who I hold in high esteem. They have lived their lives and have gone to the great beyond. The most important thing now is for me to investigate whether the Christian God they brought to Africa is real, genuine and not one cooked up story in Island somewhere. If you can do this with an open mind, without any biased mind and the fear of what the outcome might be and with with the soul aim of finding out the truth only. In no time from now, you will know what I am talking about.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 19, 2012
Virtue_11:

Logicboy03,

With due respect to my black ancestors and White European who I hold in high esteem.

lmao, he made sure he captialized his white slavemasters whom he holds "in high esteem". I swear to sango and amadioha, most of you imbeciles should have been crucified like your god.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 19, 2012
delors:
Siddon there dey yarn nonsense...we know say evil spirits dey here...because u dey do PHD for abroad so we shud deny reality abi? Yeye boy. Evil spirits are here wella...everywhere! real! confirm! Deal with it!
yes oh make them dei there, de misyan, sai we de superstitious. I ask logicboy, on another thread, to use sum latest gadget and visit some ghost infected place and he said i wan make e die? Please here is the thread again who dares, mazaje you go try since logicboy no wan die
https://www.nairaland.com/1122741/logicboy-need-comment
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by mazaje(m): 4:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
Whymee: The only way forward is to start a strong campaign to stop the electronics media, deceiving viewer that this things exist.

NOLLYWOOD, African magic Yoruba, etc.
our reasoning has been adulterated, and this is the only reason why we have large congregations in churches, Asalatu etc.

They set the ball rolling by deceived you in believing you have been jinx,
You will then be confused, seeking for solutions, coupled with the mindset you have since your kids days
You begin to wonder, wonder till you turns to wonderer.

Not until is see documentary on Natgeo wild before I will believe.

See a forest or bush in Nigeria movie signifies demon coming to pursue you
See a river or sea in Nigeria movie signifies mammy water or set of beautify girls living under the ocean
See the cloud in Nigeria movie signifies apportioning of destiny by "GOD" or a dead man sent back to earth,
See a snake, it will transform to human being.
Be financially ok amidst your peer, you have transform their furtunes to yours.

Why, why, why
Help, help, help

Nollywood and all yoruba and igbo movies that promote superstition and juju NEED to be BANNED. These templates are used to propagate these myths and when people see them on TV they believe they are real because of the belief that anything that is on TV is true. . We are so foolish that we do not even know what fiction is when it comes to our movies. . .The movie industry just keep holding people captive wit expired fictituous myths. . .

The problem is these beleives are what is holding us back as a people, we attend the best universities in the world buy we still can't solve our problems. Problems that have simple solutions are attributed to non existent supernatural entities, and supernatural problems as they belief goes require supernatural solutions. . .They can not be solved physically as the belief goes, so people end up running from one prayer house or from one juju house to another in search of solution to very simple problems that simple reasoning and logic will solve. . .

These superstitious beliefs we have in Nigeria and Africa was a whole solely exist due to the fear that is behind the unknown. If something happens to a family member, is it because of the evil spirits, witches and juju or is it because the person might have caught a regular illness that went untreated simply because it was believed that the illness was the cause of a fear based belief . . . .If a person that dies of an unknown disease or illness which is merely a matter of uneducated fear, it will probably be told to generations to come, increasing the fear and the abundance of superstitions of the future people.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
money-hungry :

my friend, shataap there!!!
Oh, here comes someone that still dwells in the physical realm
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
Martian:

lmao, he made sure he captialized his white slavemasters whom he holds "in high esteem". I swear to sango and amadioha, most of you imbeciles should have been crucified like your god.

Lol....what a real christian slave. I bet the guy prefers churches with a white Jesus!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2014 Rapture Signs To Watch For / 3 Lessons To Learn From The Parable Of Wheat And Tares / Warnings From Jesus Christ To Churches in Nigeria - Linda Ngaujah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.