Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports (43241 Views)

Africa's Top 10 Richest Footballers Of All Time / Supersport – Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Football Players / Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by RaindropGCFR(m): 5:53pm On Jan 06, 2013
wat a list.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by mrjingles(m): 5:54pm On Jan 06, 2013
I agree with sagamite on this, Jay Jay ahead of kanu, he gave the eagles over 13 years of sterling performances. Kanu wd have been untouchable if not the heart issue, it really took a lot out of him.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by RedLight1: 5:58pm On Jan 06, 2013
Syenite: . U did nt know Sam Okwaraji.
how many games did okparaji played for nigeria, and what makes him a great player... The last time i check people only honoured him becoz of his patriotism and d fact that he died playing for nigeria... And its very normal for people to respect and fine tune the achievement of the deads (the same they called abiola and ojukwu one of the greatest leaders in africa) its only to honour them and notin much... They said the same abt foe of cameroon (some even said he was better than the great miller)... Though the 1991 zambian team that died in plane crash never achieve anytin... (zambians still call them their best team of all time) against the team that won nations cup for them...
So its normal 4 everyone to have personal opinion on okparaji....

To me i only salute his patriotism and not be becoz he waz a great player.. He z good but not a great player in my book
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Tgirl4real(f): 5:58pm On Jan 06, 2013
afam4eva:
Was it listed in ascending order or just randomly?Even if it was, it's still Supersport's opinion. The only thing i will agree with is that Jay jay Okocha and Kanu nwankwo are the greatest Nigerian players ever.

I think it's random too.

My all time best will be:

Rashidi Yekini, Kanu Nwankwo, JayJay Okocha and Finidi George
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 06, 2013
Where is Efan Ekoku,Reuben Agboola.

Nduka Ugbade captained nigeria to winning its first FiFa title he deserves a mention.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:01pm On Jan 06, 2013
dayokanu:

Came on in the CL final when Ajax won

Yeah, sub. grin

dayokanu:
Scored the winning goal in the FA cup for Portsmouth

Abeg, and so?

dayokanu:
, WOn several titles in Inter and Arsenal

No, his team mates won several titles, he watched and cheered. grin

dayokanu:
Chicharito is also a benchwarmer better than many starters

As much as I am not a super fan of Kanu, I think it is even an insult to compare him to Chicharito. Oya, publicly apologise to Pappillo now. angry

Look, there is no team Kanu was not a bit-part player. He barely plays 20 matches a season and a large fraction of that 20 are as a sub or being subbed. He is only up there because of his skill and wins. He is inferior to Okocha and Yekini that are the soul of teams they played for.

Back then, when you see Yekini's name in the team, you breath more easily because you are confident "At least we go score sha. They have to pray to God they score more than us".

There are times when if Jay Jay is not playing, it is like if the team is toothless and their is no creativity.

Kanu never had that. At best you bring Kanu in in the last 10 minutes to change the approach to the game, hold on to the ball, give defenders heart attack in the box with his feints and give the occasional pass to a striker to score. He never does much if he starts.

Yekini and Jay-Jay - soul of teams.

Kanu - last few minutes impact player.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by TableLeg(m): 6:01pm On Jan 06, 2013
fonzie2u: Where is Efan Ekoku,Reuben Agboola.
Nduka Ugbade captained nigeria to winning its first FiFa title he deserves a mention.
Agree ... Those players should be there, but i am not sure about Rueben Agboola ... His career was very much short-lived so i dont think you could lay claim to him as a GREAT one
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:03pm On Jan 06, 2013
jadakiss213: Mos def...Kanu was a greater player than okocha..Africa's most decorated footballer after Etoo Fills? okocha was great no doubt but Kanu remains the greatest footballer to come out of 9ja..

Yeah, Gary Neville is more decorated than Gascoigne and Lineker, so he surely is better than them.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Syenite(m): 6:04pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

You are really sounding very dumb now and getting on my nerves.
cant u carry an argument without d use of abusive words?It is because of ppl like u dat i dn't like visitin nairaland.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:04pm On Jan 06, 2013
mrjingles: I agree with sagamite on this, Jay Jay ahead of kanu, he gave the eagles over 13 years of sterling performances. Kanu wd have been untouchable if not the heart issue, it really took a lot out of him.

Yep, he was looking like the potential greatest until after the Olympics. After that, na bensh.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:07pm On Jan 06, 2013
Syenite: cant u carry an argument without d use of abusive words?It is because of ppl like u dat i dn't like visitin nairaland.

Shut the fck up! You are an ediot!

I gave you the benefit of doubt and spoke politely to you. But your daft arsse wasted my time.

If you cannot defend your statement why challenge others? Worse still Sagamite? Are you a cretin!

There is nothing more annoying than people that make dogmatic statements they cannot even attempt to defend.

Next time, you and that person should shut the fck up if you know you cannot defend a statement. Keep it to yourself.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Tgirl4real(f): 6:09pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

Yeah, sub. grin

Abeg, and so?

No, his team mates won several titles, he watched and cheered. grin

As much as I am not a super fan of Kanu, I think it is even an insult to compare him to Chicharito. Oya, publicly apologise to Pappillo now. angry

Look, there is no team Kanu was not a bit-part player. He barely plays 20 matches a season and a large fraction are as a sub or being subbed. He is only up there because of his skill and wins. He is inferior to Okocha and Yekini that are the soul of teams they played for.

Back then, when you see Yekini's name in the team, you breath more easily because you are confident "At least we go score sha. They have to pray to God they score more than us".

There are times when if Jay Jay is not playing, it is like if the team is toothless and their is no creativity.

Kanu never had that. At best you bring Kanu in in the last 10 minutes to change the approach to the game, hold on to the ball, give defenders heart attack in the box with his feints and give the occasional pass to a striker to score. He never does much if he starts.

Yekini and Jay-Jay - soul of teams.

Kanu - last few minutes impact player.

And he did it again. *Sobs *sobs
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:09pm On Jan 06, 2013
Red-Light:
how many games did okparaji played for nigeria, and what makes him a great player... The last time i check people only honoured him becoz of his patriotism and d fact that he died playing for nigeria... And its very normal for people to respect and fine tune the achievement of the deads (the same they called abiola and ojukwu one of the greatest leaders in africa) its only to honour them and notin much... They said the same abt foe of cameroon (some even said he was better than the great miller)... Though the 1991 zambian team that died in plane crash never achieve anytin... (zambians still call them their best team of all time) against the team that won nations cup for them...
So its normal 4 everyone to have personal opinion on okparaji....

To me i only salute his patriotism and not be becoz he waz a great player.. He z good but not a great player in my book

No min dem!

Foe better than Miller?

And bloody cretins have a right to vote! Shame!

Achievements are not based on merit, rather it is on moronic sentiments.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by lawyer(m): 6:11pm On Jan 06, 2013
No mutiu? Silly list! First Nigerian at the Saudi 89 competition to use his goal scoring and heading abilities to bring us fame!
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:11pm On Jan 06, 2013
Tgirl4real:

And he did it again. *Sobs *sobs

Always agree with me and your tears would be saved. tongue grin
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by jadakiss213(m): 6:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

Yeah, Gary Neville is more decorated than Gascoigne and Lineker, so he surely is better than them.
dude ure getting it all wrong..we re discussing 'GREATNESS' here..not necessarily who is better.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
lawyer: No mutiu? Silly list! First Nigerian at the Saudi 89 competition to use his goal scoring and heading abilities to bring us fame!

No min dem.

Can the two fucktards compare Okwaraji to Mutiu Adepoju?

Okwaraji ko, Oshogboraji ni!

jadakiss213: dude ure getting it all wrong..we re discussing 'GREATNESS' here..not necessarily who is better.

Is better not greatness? Sho!
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Compudoms(m): 6:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
What of PERPETUAL NKWOCHA and MERCY AKIDE? Both were not great Nigerian footballers? Those Supersport guys who did the list must have licked 'Gegemu juice' before making it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by onatisi(m): 6:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

Shut the fck up! You are an ediot!

I gave you the benefit of doubt and spoke politely to you. But your daft arsse wasted my time.

If you cannot defend your statement why challenge others? Worse still Sagamite? Are you a cretin!

There is nothing more annoying than people that make dogmatic statements they cannot even attempt to defend.

Next time, you and that person should shut the fck up if you know you cannot defend a statement. Keep it to yourself.

i beg shut ur mouth and keep typing ur rubbish.this is a free world .noone is gonna arrest u,for been a dumb goat.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
onatisi:

i beg shut ur mouth and keep typing ur rubbish.this is a free world .noone is gonna arrest u,for been a dumb goat.

Shut the fck up, pussyclat person!
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Tgirl4real(f): 6:21pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

Always agree with me and your tears would be saved. tongue grin

Lol.

That break-down just said it all. I still got d golden goal sentiment all over me. Lol.

Jayjay is truly d heart of a match, there's dis confidence u get when u know he's holding the midfield. I was hoping Mikel would take after him, unfortunately NO. sad

And Yekini baba, thatz another legend.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by jadakiss213(m): 6:23pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

No min dem.

not necessarily and am sure u know that..
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Tgirl4real(f): 6:26pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

No min dem.

I didn't see Mutiu Adepoju on that list o. How come?

I'm sure it's an omission, prolly where dey had Yisa Shofoluwe twice.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Mospring(m): 6:28pm On Jan 06, 2013
kramer: My guess is that the list is not in order
so, many ommissions!
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:28pm On Jan 06, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Lol.

That break-down just said it all. I still got d golden goal sentiment all over me. Lol.

Jayjay is truly d heart of a match, there's dis confidence u get when u know he's holding the midfield. I was hoping Mikel would take after him, unfortunately NO. sad

And Yekini baba, thatz another legend.

Exactly! There are only three things that can make one give it to Kanu.

Sentiment - A very nice and skilful guy with a smile on his face that had a heart problem shortly after helping us win with super goals.

Titles - Won by teams he is in but where he hardly played.

Playing for top clubs - Even if mostly on the bench, at least they bought him.

We can as well say Mikel is one of the best 5 ever because he plays in one of the biggest clubs as a regular and is winning titles.

Hell No! Mikel is nowhere as good as Oliseh that hardly won anything meaningful.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:33pm On Jan 06, 2013
jadakiss213: not necessarily and am sure u know that..

What you talk about greatness, I think you talk about ability and how you use it.

To me, that implies, who is better.

To some fucktards, greatness is who died on the pitch or was willing to play for Nigeria even though NFA (once-again) stole his flight fare refund! grin
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by dayokanu(m): 6:36pm On Jan 06, 2013
If you are good big teams would seek you. That's why big teams sought Kanu all through and only mediocre sides looked at okocha
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by uwem18: 6:37pm On Jan 06, 2013
my name is not dere then the list is not correct
my name is abasiubong uwem
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by hardeyincah(m): 6:37pm On Jan 06, 2013
Dis is just a list by supersport.. Every1 can compile a list of 50...
So guys start compiling...
1.Teslim Balogun
2.Ben Iroha
3.Mutiu Adepoju
4.Jay jay Okocha
5.Kanu Nwankwo
6.Segun Odegbami
7.Mercy Akide
8.Patience avre
9.Rashidi Yekini
10.Chima Nwosu
11.Patrick Ekeji
12. Steven Keshi
13. Yisa Sofoluwe
14.Seun Osewa
And so on
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 6:45pm On Jan 06, 2013
dayokanu: If you are good big teams would seek you. That's why big teams sought Kanu all through and only mediocre sides looked at okocha

I guess Paul Gascoigne wasn't good then.

I guess Juninho Pernambucano wasn't good then.

I guess Bebeto wasn't good then.

I guess Claudio Caniggia wasn't good then.

They are all cannot even smell Kanu. They are inferior to him? cheesy

And Valencia is way better than Finidi George? grin
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by dayokanu(m): 6:46pm On Jan 06, 2013
Kanu started a champions league final. The biggest level of football after the world cup final

My list would be like

Kanu
Finidi
Mikel
Taribo
Oliseh
Yekini
Amuneke
Okocha
Amokachi
Ikpeba
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Afam4eva(m): 6:47pm On Jan 06, 2013
dayokanu: Kanu started a champions league final. The biggest level of football after the world cup final

My list would be like

Kanu
Finidi
Mikel
Taribo
Oliseh
Yekini
Amuneke
Okocha
Amokachi
Ikpeba

Guy, you're very wicked. See where you carry Okocha go keep.

I think supersports have to tell us what criteria they used to adjudged these players cos using different parameters will give you different results. But i think only two people will appear in most of any criteria you use and they are Jay Jay Okocha and Kanu nwakwo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Onaolapo Pulls Pant Off After Commonwealth Win! / Lady Switched Off The TV At A Viewing Center & Got A Slap (Video) / You Are A Shame To The World - Ighalo Blasts Nigerian Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.