Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,961 members, 7,825,014 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently (24678 Views)

Nigeria Currently Under Watch By Human Right Watch. See Confirmation, Pic / Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? / Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 9:16am On Jan 06, 2013
[size=22pt]^^Thief Obasanjo is a CIA stooge[/size]
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by seanet01: 9:19am On Jan 06, 2013
The Most Respected Person In Nigeria Is My Mother!
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by lakeside025(m): 9:46am On Jan 06, 2013
Ogbeni. rauf aregbeshola. Executive governor of state of osun.

Chief. Ajibola ige. Former old oyo state governor and former anthony general of federation.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by warrior101: 9:47am On Jan 06, 2013
GenBuhari: reminder why it shouldn't b Obj:

[size=18pt]How Obasanjo and his inner circle Stole Nigeria's Billions of Dollars [/size]            
Friday, 09 September 2011 17:09 [elombah.com]

[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=obj_774911614.gif&size=article_medium[/img]

[b]Corruption pervades the entire levels of the private and public sector under the administration of Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, so said a US Diplomatic cables revealed by wikileaks. The report said that "the arrests in London of the Bayelsa and Plateau State governors have barely scratched the surface of the endemic corruption at the federal, state, and local level. The diplomatic cables noted that in a widely-circulated August 22 letter to President Obasanjo, Abia State Governor Orji Uzor Kalu accused Obasanjo of corruption, listing a number of dubious deals, including:

--Cancellation of the contract for the construction of the national stadium in Abuja, only to re-award the contract to a different vendor at a higher price.

--Use of public funds for capital improvements at two private schools secretly owned by Obasanjo.

Obasanjo's response was to agree to be "investigated by the EFCC, which reports to the President.  When the EFCC invited Kalu to provide evidence to support his accusations, Kalu refused, pointing out that the EFCC was not an independent investigative body and had no authority to prosecute the President, and the investigation died out.

The President's chicken farm in Otta is one of the largest in Nigeria.  A Presidential spokesman said in November 2004, in order to explain Obasanjo's personal wealth, that the farm generated about $250,000 per month in income, though it was nearly bankrupt in the late 1990s (ref A).  Regardless of whether the current income figure is accurate, at least some Nigerians think it is unlikely that Obasanjo's military pension and benefits were the sole source of investment for establishing this huge enterprise, valued by a construction engineer involved in the construction at more than $250 million.

It is also widely believed that the President's inner circle also reaps hefty rewards with impunity.  Some frequently cited examples are:

--Edmund Daukoro, recently named Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, was charged in 1994 for embezzling some $47 million as a managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).  The charges were abandoned, and Daukoro's political career soared when Obasanjo took office in 1999.

--Senator Florence Ita Giwa, indicted for misappropriation of funds by the Idris Kuta Panel in 2000, was pardoned along with other indicted senators, and she was named a special advisor to Obasanjo when she left office.

--The head of the National Airport Management Authority (NAMA), Rochas Okorocha, was caught and dismissed for embezzling about $1 million through an inflated contract; Obasanjo then appointed him as a senior aide, without requiring Okorocha to repay the stolen funds.  Okorocha was eventually fired on July 13 in a cabinet reshuffle, but went on to start a political party for his renewed presidential ambitions.
[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3VO8bKye51Sl5jevOfhvG0ICa89Na2FRueTyTJ4j0q_gz1pRR-A[/img]

--The recent auction of oil blocks included some firms bidding, sometimes with no prior ties to the oil industry, that were linked to Obasanjo associates, including Daukoro, Rivers State governor Peter Odili, Ogun State  governor Gbenga Daniel, presidential advisor Andy Uba,  presidential chief of staff Abdullahi Mohammed, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory Nasir al-Rufai and PDP Board of Trustees Chairman Tony Anenih.

Edmund Daukoru

Peter Odili

Gbenga Daniel

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBS5mZwiMEQTrNrd9TL0gKr8bJhD9toepyVmMxFnQokyn8uIKdFQ[/img]
Andy Uba

[img]http://www.naijaurban.com/wp-content/themes/respo/js/timthumb.php?src=http://www.naijaurban.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Tony-Anenih.jpg&w=200&h=150[/img]
Tony Anenih

Nasir Al-Rufai

--Anenih was indicted by the National Assembly for the sum of 300 billion Naira (approximately $2.4 billion) missing from Ministry of Works and Housing while he was the minister.  The missing money is widely believed to have paid off 2003 elections  "expenses," including to Balogun, in addition to lining his own pockets.

[img]http://www.naijaurban.com/wp-content/themes/respo/js/timthumb.php?src=http://www.naijaurban.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Tony-Anenih.jpg&w=200&h=150[/img]
Tony Anenih

--Minister of Finance Ngozie Okonjo-Iweala is said to have steered contracts to her brother (JonJon) with the help of el-Rufai.  The contracts, said to amount to about $50 million, have been paid for consulting work for the Ministry.

Ngozie Okonjo-Iweala

--Al-Rufai is at the center of the corruption allegations. Well-known to PolCouns eight year ago, when he was homeless and seeking a loan to import a taxi from the UK, al-Rufai is said to have recently purchased seven upscale properties in a posh Abuja neighborhood.  His demolitions of commercial and residential buildings in the capital have reportedly provided an opportunity for himself and several of his friends.  After demolishing residential properties in Kubwa, the land was reallocated to several of his friends and to an investment company he allegedly owns.  The community of Chika, where about two square miles of development was demolished in December, has allegedly been allocated to the same group of people.

Nasir Al-Rufai

--Chief Olabode George, current PDP National Chairman (Southwest) is a close friend of President Obasanjo and a leading proponent of the Third Term Agenda.  He is one of the people accused of financial recklessness in the affairs of the National Port Authority, where he was chairman when the financial scandals were allegedly committed.  He was retired from the Navy in the 1990s by the Babangida Administration after serving as military governor of Ondo State from 1987 to 1990 in addition to other military postings.

Olabode George

--Chris Uba, recently appointed to the PDP Board of Trustees, admitted rigging during the 2003 elections and attempted to kidnap the governor of Anambra state to try to collect payments for his efforts.  Linked closely to several vigilante groups in the state, he is widely believed to be responsible for the burning of many state government buildings in Awka, crimes that have yet to be solved.

Chris Uba
[/b]

[sup][sup][sup]BRO, YOU DON'T KEEP THE ENEMIES OUT. YOU KEEP THEM IN, SO THAT YOU CAN WATCH THEM. OBASANJO IS A WISER HUMAN THAN 10 TIMES YOU[/sup][/sup][/sup]
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by tonte(m): 9:50am On Jan 06, 2013
2Face Idibia!!!!!!
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Ngwakwe: 10:17am On Jan 06, 2013
Rather, Nairaland is congregation of people who seek satisfaction and knowledge for daily life update.

Nairaland Politics Section is a display of how politically separated Nigerians are in matter affecting each tribe and how sensitive and selfish man is by default.

Tolexander: nairaland is a microcosm of nigeria.
Though inconsequential in the scheme of things but can still be looked upon as the voice of nigerians.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by COOLDUN: 10:20am On Jan 06, 2013
The Most Respected and Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently is: Ahlhaji, Chief,Oba,Shiek,Bishop,Imam, Pastor, Mr,Mrs,Miss,Field Mashal: CORRUPTION. it is more powerful, dreaded, fearful, honoured, worshiped, cherrished, pampered, and accepted by every Nigerian, if i am not right then tell me any man or woman that has the general acceptance more than this Monster : CORRUPTION? I am waiting.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Ngwakwe: 10:20am On Jan 06, 2013
The most influential must be the dead man whose manhood still lives among Nigerians and in Aso Rock..
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by JaaizTech: 10:26am On Jan 06, 2013
I CAN'T REALLY THINK OF A MAN I RESPECT LIKE THAT. THERE ARE A FEW I ADMIRE, DANGOTE IS ONE OF THEM. OBASANJO, I WOULDN'T SAY I RESPECT HIM, BUT I'D RATHER SAY I AM FOND OF HIM, HE JUST MAKES ME LAUGH. THE MAN IS GOT A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by qplus(m): 10:46am On Jan 06, 2013
Fashola and Adams Oshiiomhole
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by vanbonattel: 11:21am On Jan 06, 2013
Prof. Chinua Achebe
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Navalsadiq(m): 11:28am On Jan 06, 2013
This tread is a war between the igbos and the yorubas.sentiment and nepotism has eaten deep into ina system
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by vanbonattel: 11:31am On Jan 06, 2013
Naval sadiq: This tread is a war between the igbos and the yorubas.sentiment and nepotism has eaten deep into ina system

Lies.
Everybody is nominating his or her choice, nothing tribal here.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by vanbonattel: 11:32am On Jan 06, 2013
COOLDUN: The Most Respected and Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently is: Ahlhaji, Chief,Oba,Shiek,Bishop,Imam, Pastor, Mr,Mrs,Miss,Field Mashal: CORRUPTION. it is more powerful, dreaded, fearful, honoured, worshiped, cherrished, pampered, and accepted by every Nigerian, if i am not right then tell me any man or woman that has the general acceptance more than this Monster : CORRUPTION? I am waiting.

Corruption is a 'thing' and not a man. Go back to school.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by kzokul(m): 11:33am On Jan 06, 2013
I tink this respected and honourable man should b one who has impacted postively 2 d general growth of d country extensively by God's given talent and hardwork and not those indivuals dt abused d priviledge of being in power 2 create criminal names 4 themselves claiming 2 b fake heroes...... I think d likes of Chinua Achibe,Wole Soyinka and d likes even 2face Idibia in his own God's given talent and hardwork has made a well deserved and honourable name 4 himself....
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 11:50am On Jan 06, 2013
Buhari is respected - even by his opponents
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by PalmTree(m): 12:08pm On Jan 06, 2013
GenBuhari: Buhari is respected - even by his opponents

Ok! We don hear you.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by bigsamo: 12:10pm On Jan 06, 2013
na me jare
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 06, 2013
D posts here is evidence of d fact dat we are running out of role models. It also depends on how one sees it.
To me its Chinua Achebe for alwaz daring to speak his mind at d risk of infamy & rejection by d larger society. Many Nigerians lack ds trait. We prefer to 'coat ' our problems inorder nt to ruffle d proverbial feather.
Achebe spoke his mind & rejectd an award frm Obj. He has nt looked back since then. For those critics of his recent book, i think they are latching on hz popularity 2 get back to reckoning.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by COOLDUN: 1:21pm On Jan 06, 2013
van bonattel:

Corruption is a 'thing' and not a man. Go back to school.

Professor, when a thing is more than man which means it is equally a man, online teacher don't teach me nonsense. CORRUPTION is more than a man in Nigeria, including you. So in Nigeria Corruption is celebrated as a man, not a thing unquote.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Tolexander: 1:46pm On Jan 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: Rather, Nairaland is congregation of people who seek satisfaction and knowledge for daily life update.

Nairaland Politics Section is a display of how politically separated Nigerians are in matter affecting each tribe and how sensitive and selfish man is by default.

nairaland politics as you said is a forum in which every tribe displays the matters affecting them which is politically motivated? Exactly what am saying describing nairaland as a microcosm of nigeria. What is happening on nairaland is an example of what is happening in the daily nigerian living. Just that there is not a common ground in which this happenings are displayed like nairaland. E.g in the yorubaland, they believe igbo people are not people you can associate with base on their selfish interest, likewise the igbo mentality that yorubas are dirty. But all these tribal views have no common ground to be displayed but only in the individual's geographical locations. Nairaland created a political forum in which all the views can be displayed.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by jaydude(f): 1:59pm On Jan 06, 2013
Mr Ibu undecided
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jan 06, 2013
Alh. Buhari
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 06, 2013
MAITAMA SULE(dan masani kano)!!

You hadly(personally I have never heard) hear any bad thing about him,when he speaks presidents pay attention,personalities are honoured to have him in their presence.
THE MAN SIMPLY SAYS IT AS IT IS!
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by temiiii(m): 2:54pm On Jan 06, 2013
what of Pastor E.A Adeboye
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Sweetapple007(f): 3:24pm On Jan 06, 2013
I think govt okorocha.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by REVOLUTNIS: 4:10pm On Jan 06, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Achebe??...

Achebe has a duplex in the hall of SHAME. He is a bitter, divisive and xenophobic old man...

He may be the most respected Biafran (by IGBOs).

1) Aliko Dangote
2) Wole Soyinka etc...

OBJ is a cold-blooded murderer!!!
tribalism has made u forgot that even ur forebears can not stand an internationally respected Achebe. preferring Lagos boys like Aliko and Soyinka to icon like Prof. Achebe who made name for the country in the world body United Nations is a clear sign ur fathers never stand for justices in their life time. Give honour to whom honour is due.

1 Like

Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Jhydey192(m): 5:59pm On Jan 06, 2013
Papa-Bishop dr. David Olaniyi Oyedepo and his father,my grandfather; Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by ib0221: 6:41pm On Jan 06, 2013
If it were to be most respected only, obj is the person n I think nuzo put it rightly. The intrinsic value of honour will not give it to him.
For the honoured, I give it to Soyinka, Anyaoku, David-West, and Sultanate.
I'll have mentioned Achebe but to me Soyinka dwalfs him and he seems not to be a nigerian.
There4, the most respected and honoured nigeria if we are not puritanic and be real should be one of OBJ, Soyinka, Anyaoku, David-West and Sultanate.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by roy4real(m): 7:35pm On Jan 06, 2013
One of the following: Senior Prophet T.B Joshua, Pastor Adeboye, Pastor DR. Paul Enenche, Pastor Kumuyi, Cardinals Arinze & Onayekan.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

APC Leaders Angry With Buhari Over State Of Emergency Comments / Fashola Commissions Jebba Hydro Power Plant In Niger State (photos) / APDA Party To Be Unveiled On Monday, June 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.