Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,691 members, 7,955,606 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:39 AM

The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently (24973 Views)

Nigeria Currently Under Watch By Human Right Watch. See Confirmation, Pic / Who Is Nigeria's Most Respected Statesman (dead Or Alive)? / Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Wsdm: 2:32am On Jan 06, 2013
You can't generalize by picking a single person: North- Buhari; South west- Professor Wole Soyinka; South East- pro. Achebe/ Late Ojukwu and South South- Jonathan. Dangote is a business man and in Nigeria, we respect people base on how they have impacted on our geopolitical advancement.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 2:52am On Jan 06, 2013
timilehin007: . Yes its me jare honey, I have been looking for you all my life.. cheesy
Now that u've found me, watchu gon do bout it?
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 2:59am On Jan 06, 2013
adejoro75:

Go and read Achebe's book. That is the only acceptable ''bible'' of the Awo killing machine

You have said that I should read Achebe's book because you believe that is the only acceptable "bible" to prove that Awolowo was a kiler.

I have read the book,"There was a Country". No where in the book did Achebe confirm your accusation that Awolowo was a killer. He claimed to have expressed a personal opinion regarding the influence of Awolowo on the Nigerian Civil war. His opinion, i regret to say is inadmissible as he is not an expert on war crimes. Therefore, we cannot accept his book as the sole authority on the Nigerian civil war

I will then have to come back to you to tell us why you could accuse Awolowo of killing.

Kindly take it that I am not holding brief for Awolowo.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by iamtheprincipal: 3:19am On Jan 06, 2013
Sunnycliff: i think it should be Alhaji Aliko Dangote. He recieved the highest national honour that has never been given to a non political office holder

That's shear politics.

1 Like

Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by timilehin007(m): 3:23am On Jan 06, 2013
saxywale:
don't get it twisted, adejoro is an igbo tribalist on Nairaland. He has just returned from leave of absence.
. I see lipsrsealed
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by timilehin007(m): 3:26am On Jan 06, 2013
Shollypopz:
Now that u've found me, watchu gon do bout it?
. I need to discuss something very reasonable with you buh am thinking if you wouldn't mind hooking up with me in another castle... cheesy
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by shadrach77: 3:54am On Jan 06, 2013
pastor e a adeboye

2 Likes

Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by elopee3000(m): 4:13am On Jan 06, 2013
cockyjay: lol gone are the days achebe and respect go together. Wake up. We yorubas no longer respect him. We dnt respect bigots and liars
just like in igbo land awo is like a demon ,even we killed him in our cassava dont let any igbo man confuse u ooh awo is like osu in igbo land check the meaning of osu then u will understand what i meant
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Parnassuss(m): 5:10am On Jan 06, 2013
Achebe and Soyinka are no longer men we should talk about in such common tones, they have transcended our base level. That is why they retain perfect respect for themselves and each other. The most respected man in Nigeria is still just a man, i dont care one bit who he is
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by samuel900(m): 5:12am On Jan 06, 2013
All u know is criticizing Obasanjo, who know ur papa?
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by igben(m): 5:50am On Jan 06, 2013
James Ibori
Bode george
Alamco
Atiku
grin grin grin grin
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Sattie: 6:01am On Jan 06, 2013
Pastor E.A. Adeboye pls.....

1 Like

Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 6:20am On Jan 06, 2013
so many hired Obj praise singers!
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by bejay1(m): 6:34am On Jan 06, 2013
The most respected men in nigeria of 2day are : Prof Wole Soyinka, Alex Ekueme and Alhaji Maitama Sule
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by abey40: 6:40am On Jan 06, 2013
Senior Prophet T.B. JOSHUA
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by ogaisaac(m): 6:54am On Jan 06, 2013
Dear nairalander, we do know dat men of God ar always stand a chance of attractin respect and honor, bt how would u rate a man who has salvage Nigerians from d calculus doom of d north? A man who brought us out of political slavery, a man dat d northerns tremble b/4? Dat is Obasanjo he deservs respect.

1 Like

Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Vanpascore(m): 6:57am On Jan 06, 2013
Dont view this issue politically, OBJ is d one, as far as Nigeria is concern

1 Like

Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Idolys(m): 7:16am On Jan 06, 2013
Ngodigha1: The most respected Nigerians are as follows:
Prof Chinua Achebe.
Chief Emeka Anyaoku.
Prof Wole Soyinka.
Dr Ngozi Iwuala.
Alex Ekwueme
Dr Ezekwesiri
Dora Akunyili
Alh Dangote
Solomon Lar
Chukwudifu Oputa
Ralph Uwechue
Ebitu Ukiwe
Pepper Clarke
Pat Utomi
Tam David West

Ur list is so poor that,u didn't Prof. Soludo and Okonjo therein. angry
Prof Chinua Achebe.
Chief Emeka Anyaoku.
Prof Wole Soyinka.
Dr Ngozi Iwuala.
Alex Ekwueme
Dr Ezekwesiri
Dora Akunyili
Alh Dangote
Solomon Lar
Chukwudifu Oputa
Ralph Uwechue
Ebitu Ukiwe
Pepper Clarke
Pat Utomi
Tam David West

Ur list is so poor that,u didn't Prof. Soludo and Okonjo therein.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Idolys(m): 7:17am On Jan 06, 2013
Prof Chinua Achebe.
Chief Emeka Anyaoku.
Prof Wole Soyinka.
Dr Ngozi Iwuala.
Alex Ekwueme
Dr Ezekwesiri
Dora Akunyili
Alh Dangote
Solomon Lar
Chukwudifu Oputa
Ralph Uwechue
Ebitu Ukiwe
Pepper Clarke
Pat Utomi
Tam David West

Ur list is so poor that,u didn't Prof. Soludo and Okonjo therein. angry
Prof Chinua Achebe.
Chief Emeka Anyaoku.
Prof Wole Soyinka.
Dr Ngozi Iwuala.
Alex Ekwueme
Dr Ezekwesiri
Dora Akunyili
Alh Dangote
Solomon Lar
Chukwudifu Oputa
Ralph Uwechue
Ebitu Ukiwe
Pepper Clarke
Pat Utomi
Tam David West

Ur list is so poor that,u didn't Prof. Soludo therein.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 06, 2013
[size=18pt]Nigeria's Obasanjo and the $16 Billion Power Scam[/size]

Frontline Catholic cleric and social critic, Rev. Fr. Matthew Hassan Kukah, perhaps, spoke the minds of millions of Nigerians when he said recently that former President Olusegun Obasanjo deserved to be formally tried for his alleged role in the squandering about $16 billion voted for resuscitating the near-dead power sector during his administration between 1999 and 2007. Kukah, a close family friend of the Obasanjos, was the Secretary to the National Political Reforms Conference (NPRC) initiated by the Obasanjo government in 2005.

This call, which is a challenge to the Goodluck Jonathan administration, could not have come at a more appropriate time, especially considering the President's recent assurance that his administration would go after those who looted the national treasury, no matter how highly placed they may be. But many Nigerians doubt if Dr. Jonathan will summon the will to bring his political benefactor to book.

Dr. Kukah, who also chided critics and civil society groups for not doing enough to ensure that Obasanjo is arraigned, said: "Obasanjo probably will never be the President of Nigeria again, but we should be concerned if Obasanjo deserves to go to prison. Vilifying him doesn't give us (electric) power; it also doesn't get us the criminals that have taken our money, wherever they are. I would have loved to have Obasanjo brought to trial, because then we would know the truth." Besides the scandal ravaging the power sector, which the former President directly supervised, the double standards of the Presidency, under him, in the many established cases of corrupt self-enrichment by key government functionaries during his tenure were mind-boggling.

After the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) unearthed a N56 billion fraud by the former Board of Directors of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), for example, Obasanjo failed to institute any process towards recovering the stolen amount and/or prosecuting the culprits, who were said to be his close political allies. Rather, some of those who served on that board were appointed to other boards subsequently. Before that scandal came to light, back in July 2002, Nigerians had been shocked when the then Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mr. Godwin Kanu Agabi, filed a nolle prosequi (discontinuance of prosecution) on the day an Abuja High Court was scheduled to deliver judgment in a case of alleged embezzlement of N420 million by Dr. Julius Makanjuola, Obasanjo's relation and a Director at the Ministry of Defence.

And in 2006, Nigerians were similarly shell-shocked over the revelation of massive pillaging at the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) allegedly involving Obasanjo and his Deputy, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar. This was to be followed by allegations of Obasanjo's involvements in the Transnational Corporation of Nigeria (Transcorp), which bought over Abuja's NICON Hilton Hotel, the Nigerian Telecommunications Limited (NITEL), and also acquired some oil blocks.

Fr. Kukah's recent call is timely. Nigerians continue till today to endure perennial darkness, with no real clue to the cause of the apparent intractability of the power sector's woes. It is disheartening, in this regard, that like the late President Umaru Yar'Adua, Dr. Jonathan has surrounded himself with some of the key figures that helped ex-President Obasanjo fail so dismally in service delivery. While we commend Jonathan over his appointment of Professor Bath Nnaji as Special Adviser on Power, it must be noted that Mr. Joseph Makoju, a seasoned professional, had held that same position under the Yar'Adua administration and also under the Obasanjo government. In addition, he was PHCN Managing Director for the better part of the latter administration. He ought to be facing intense interrogation over what happened to the alleged misappropriated $16 billion.

And, with discredited functionaries and contractors of the Obasanjo era still hovering around The Presidency and the PHCN, poised to snatch whatever fresh allocations go to the power sector, where is the guarantee that Nigeria will ever have improved electricity supply in the foreseeable future? While we urge the Federal Government to seek out individuals and organizations, locally and abroad, with proven track records in performance and integrity to revive the ailing sector, the issue of the mismanaged billions should not be treated as a 'family affair' of the ruling party. Nigeria's public funds must be accounted for.

Since the National Assembly Probe Committee on the Power scam was itself to be later dragged into the corruption quagmire, we call for a thorough investigation, by the EFCC, into the whereabouts of the vanished power allocations.

The former President, on his part, should cooperate fully with the investigators, in order to clear his name of the strong suspicions surrounding his administration's wasteful disbursement of the $16 billion power sector allocations. There should be no sacred cows, as he used to say while in office. Any preferential treatment of individuals will create the impression that the Nigerian government's commitment to the anti-corruption crusade, economic reform and transparent governance is cosmetic and insincere.

While sleaze in high places thrives, the ordinary citizens' quality of life has remained dismal, infrastructural facilities are decrepit, mass unemployment ravages the land, and poverty sentences the vast majority to a life of unrelieved misery.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Tolexander: 7:21am On Jan 06, 2013
adejoro75:
WTF? Now who is ''Tolexander''? Who knows you except you? You are fake (unreal) until you make yourself known.
o boy answer the question i asked u!
Whatever anonymous your monicker claims to be, that doesn't mean all your opinions will be fake. A question was asked by the OP and you gave your own view likewise other niralanders which has 98% of its members nigerians. Does your anonymous name make ur answer to be fake?
Sometimes in the news you see the reporter saying an 'anonymous witness', does that mean the news is not true since the witness is anonymous? Or some sensible quotes whose writer is not known with the quote written as an anonymous writer. Does that make the quote senseless?
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 7:26am On Jan 06, 2013
In political arena,yes he is.in other sphere of life it is wole soyinka.
k2039: [color=soyouquotedme]Even internationally he is respected, so it's Obasanjo. [/color]
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Tinyemeka(m): 7:30am On Jan 06, 2013
Prof Chinua Achebe.
Chief Emeka Anyaoku.
Prof Wole Soyinka.
Dr Ngozi Iwuala.
Alex Ekwueme
Dr Ezekwesiri
Dora Akunyili
Alh Dangote
Solomon Lar
Chukwudifu Oputa
Ralph Uwechue
Ebitu Ukiwe
Pepper Clarke
Pat Utomi
Tam David West

I like your list. But in my opinion, I would place Alh Aliko Dangote above Dr Oby Ezekwesili. The rest are exactly the way I'd view them with Prof Chinua Achebe as the first on the list.

Posters who employ 'National Honours' as a criteria for recognoition, should go and ask Bode George, Tafa Balogun and co what happened to theirs.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by stantob(m): 7:57am On Jan 06, 2013
BIG QUESTION
That man or woman who will stand firm and put smile in the teeming face of Nigerians,
That man or woman that will bring all the looters in Nigeria to book,
That man or woman who will change the level of corruption in Nigeria,
That man or woman who will take the bold step to put things the right way,
That man or woman automatically becomes the most respected and honoured man in Nigeria.
For now there is none.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by Nobody: 8:07am On Jan 06, 2013
timilehin007: . I need to discuss something very reasonable with you buh am thinking if you wouldn't mind hooking up with me in another castle... cheesy
u hv a castle?! shocked shocked as long as u hv a castle, I don't mind hooking up grin
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by indoorlove(m): 8:32am On Jan 06, 2013
Some Peoples always want to equate a respected leader to be a perfect leader without any form of errors or human weaknesses. If those who were without any human weakness were to be considered great- the world most greatest men and women would dwindle almost to a vanishing point.. perhap,not even acknowledge saint will survive on it. Op, in my own opinion, i think Obj deserve it
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by juman(m): 8:46am On Jan 06, 2013
GenBuhari: so many hired Obj praise singers!

grin

They are not hired.

Just because they are yorubas. They are supporting their man blindly.
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by aijazNija: 8:56am On Jan 06, 2013
Personally I love Obj, In the political circle he is the most respected in Nigeria. Infact anyone that wants to succede in National must identify with him, that's what Okorocha did yesterday!
Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by EkoIle1: 9:00am On Jan 06, 2013

Re: The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently by PalmTree(m): 9:12am On Jan 06, 2013
adejoro75:

And he was fired from FRSC for fraud.

Get some help, mate. He founded a non-profit making road safety club that is still in existence. How could he have been sacked when he wasn't working for no one? Who fired him... You? However if you have any evidence to support your claim that he was FIRED, produce them and let's learn...that's if you are not just arguing across ethnic lines.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari, Others Pray For Yusuf Buhari's Quick Recovery At Friday Jumat / We Met Akpabio 20 Times To Stop His Defection- Enoidem / Ben Murray-Bruce And His Mother, Margaret Murray-Bruce (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.