Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? (18516 Views)

Igbo People Translate This For Me And God Will Bless You / Lucky Cow 'Bless' Pregnant Women With Baby Boys / Guys Can You Propose To A Lady Afer 3months Of Dating/ladies Can You Say Yes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by SamMilla1(m): 5:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
mutaalim: Well, if the person say Alihamdulillai (All Glory to Allah(SWT)) is my duty to say to Yarhamkallahu(May Allah have mercy be with you) and the person have 2 reply back by saying Yahdikumllahum (May Allah Guide YOu)

All that because someone sneezed?
If the person cough, you will defintely spend 30 minutes consulting Allah.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Lachynos2k2(m): 5:07pm On Jan 15, 2013
anthrax
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by abarry001: 5:08pm On Jan 15, 2013
golamike: I always wonder if "bless you" are the right words to say to an individual who sneezes around you. I don't know if it's a Nigerian thing or it's universal. Most of the time, i just keep quiet rather than say "bless you" because i'm not comfortable using those words. I don't know if i'm the only one who thinks those words are not really suitable for that situation. Please, does anyone think like me?? Which word(s) do you consider more appropriate??

In islam, if a muslim sneezes besides u, and he/she says Alhamdulillah, then you will say to him in reply Yamakallah, and he will say in reture to u with yah adikumullah wa yuslihu balakum
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by harlos: 5:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
Sam Milla:

All that because someone sneezed?
you think its much because he translated it.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by nasty45(m): 5:17pm On Jan 15, 2013
I'l shout "PACK AM"
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by harbibi: 5:21pm On Jan 15, 2013
Gesundheit is the right word to say. Not common though.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Oahray: 5:25pm On Jan 15, 2013
harbibi: Gesundheit is the right word to say. Not common though.
There is no particular 'right word' to say jor.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Frostyzone(m): 5:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
It depends. If the sneeze sprays on me however intentionally or accidentally, my reply would normally be "Oga/Madam, learn to cover your mouth naa!"

If it's in a milder harmless form, I would simply ignore the person.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nightshift(m): 5:36pm On Jan 15, 2013
I have been saying and receiving ' Gesundheit ' from folks i don't even know for years over here. In Igbo, we say ' Ndu gi' in my area in Coal City state.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by mamagee3(f): 5:38pm On Jan 15, 2013
You say bless you. . .
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Ishilove: 5:58pm On Jan 15, 2013
If its a person I'm on familiar terms with, I say "GADDEMIT!!", or I dramatically shift away.

If I'm in polite society, I keep quiet and surreptitiously cover my nose.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by majekleo(m): 6:00pm On Jan 15, 2013
When one sneezes, the right word to say is "bless you" cos ones you sneeze, ur heart stops for micro seconds and it is assumed that u died for those few minutes, the only appropriate word to say to a dying person is "bless you" .
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Ishilove: 6:02pm On Jan 15, 2013
timpaker: I'd hold my breath and say a big prayer to God not to let me contract disease from the virus erupting from dia mouth
Lwkmd!!! That makes two of us cheesy cheesy
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Regiblinkz(m): 6:09pm On Jan 15, 2013
mutaalim:

Haba sneezing is a mercy from Allah (SWT)
I pull out my gun and shoot the person instantly...I'm a NOSNEEZIAN
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by thirty(m): 6:12pm On Jan 15, 2013
abarry001:

In islam, if a muslim sneezes besides u, and he/she says Alhamdulillah, then you will say to him in reply Yamakallah, and he will say in reture to u with yah adikumullah wa yuslihu balakum
. That is the right word but why? For what reason?
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Teejayphillip(m): 6:17pm On Jan 15, 2013
kpele naani
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by YOUNGKAHUNA: 6:18pm On Jan 15, 2013
mutaalim: Well, if the person say Alihamdulillai (All Glory to Allah(SWT)) is my duty to say to Yarhamkallahu(May Allah have mercy be with you) and the person have 2 reply back by saying Yahdikumllahum (May Allah Guide YOu)

All This Cos Of Sneezing? I Rather Excuse Myself Than Say All This. *no Offence Meant.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by YOUNGKAHUNA: 6:22pm On Jan 15, 2013
I Remember A Friend Saying OXYGEN Anytime He Sneezes.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Rajman(m): 6:49pm On Jan 15, 2013
raynold17 :
thunder fire you
angry
raynold17 :
thunder fire you
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Pstsmith(m): 6:51pm On Jan 15, 2013
person sneeze u begin de talk long tin...is sneezing a language? It needs no reply
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Adamsdelrio(m): 6:54pm On Jan 15, 2013
Uuuuhmmmm! Na ur nose dey smell like this?......cover my nose.....
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Sweetapple007(f): 7:02pm On Jan 15, 2013
Kiss me!!cheesy
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by ignis: 7:12pm On Jan 15, 2013
Bless Ɣõµ
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Oahray: 7:13pm On Jan 15, 2013
majekleo: When one sneezes, the right word to say is "bless you" cos ones you sneeze, ur heart stops for micro seconds and it is assumed that u died for those few minutes, the only appropriate word to say to a dying person is "bless you" .
its not true that the heart stops when we sneeze. Most times before we sneeze, we inhale sharply. This increases pressure in our chest. When we sneeze, air is forcefully ejected with the irritants. The sharp change in pressure alters blood flow to the heart, so heart rate changes. That change in heartbeat is what makes it SEEM we skipped a heartbeat. Sneezing poses not direct danger to life. I havn't heard of anyone who died of sneezing either.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by DexxyAlebs(m): 7:28pm On Jan 15, 2013
Take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by BeingAkorede(m): 7:37pm On Jan 15, 2013

......jazakAllah kayran
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by somegirl1: 7:37pm On Jan 15, 2013
here's a tissue
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 15, 2013
[quote
author=ItsModella]I usually
say bless you and no, it's not just a Nigerian thing, it is said in some
other parts of the world. Different countries have different responses.
The Arabians would say ""Alhamdulillah," which means, "praise be to
God." Hindus say, "Live!" or "Live well!, Russians say "bud zdorov" ("be
healthy"wink...
[/quote]Are Arabians GOD worshippers. or abi na their own god.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by olumide77: 8:01pm On Jan 15, 2013
Sorry, you need procold. smiley
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
some-girl:
here's a tissue

hehehe ! u no fit give ur white hankey ? or abi na tissue u dey use ? hahaha
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by tunapawizzy: 8:06pm On Jan 15, 2013
Rest In peace
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by patostation(m): 8:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
mutaalim:

Haba sneezing is a mercy from Allah (SWT)
I can't see how releazing influenza, flu, possibly SARS and other dangerous viruses into the air can be mercy or blessing of any god. If you find yourself nearby, just cover your nose and mouth with a clean handkerchief; and the sneezer should learn to use hanky too. Elementary health science.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Must You See A Pastor Before Choosing A Life Partner? / What's That Thing You Hate To Purchase But You Need It Everyday? / An Open Letter To My Co-Tenant By A Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.