Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,691 members, 7,831,141 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? (12337 Views)

N10million Bribery Scam: Presidency In Dilema Over CCT Chair / Nobody Will Leave PDP For Opposition - Tukur / INEC's Conditions For Opposition Parties’ Merger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 2:22pm On Jan 21, 2013
miredia: My friend, I resolutely followed your post and the subsequent posts herein. It is unequivocally clear that you had shut your mind to oppositional views prior to inquiring for a public opinion about this subject. Your expectations were fixated and void of
objectivity. Buhari to you, is a sour choice regardless of your mindset being furnished with a contrary view that nullifies the unsubstantiated negating perception accrued to buhari. Leaving nothing merely implied, the supposed fresh minds you subtle suggested are a handful of corrupt characters. Except offcourse a few upright consciences with a radical vision like Fashola and Adams. In this pressing circumstance, nigerians cannot afford to trade necessitated reality with sentiments, sham, tribalism and religious appeal. An executive dispensation that holds the capacity to crush corruption and revamp development can only be presided over by the duo of Buhari/Fashola as both are the only proven characters on the slate. @pointb your exhibition of hatred towards Fash and Buhari is somewhat bogus and resonates from an inherent mindset of tribalism. Snap out of it sir.

u spoke well. obviously captured the mind of the OP accurately.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 2:28pm On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:

Mind you, I personally do not subscribe to a Buhari candidacy - but the thread is not about my personal subscription. The thread is about realistic options for the opposition and in that regard, Buhari may be a liability in terms of securing southern votes.

I concede though, that he will be a good candidate to sweep northern votes. I also concede that he will be good for anti-corruption.

What else do u want after this? Not only will he sweep the northern votes, he will also get the required percentage in the middle belt states if he works harder.
With the help of Fashola/Tinubu influence, 90% of SW may be for the ticket leaving behind the SS and SE for the retardeen. Even at that getting few votes from these states isnt an impossible task.
I see no realistic alternative for now IMO
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 2:32pm On Jan 21, 2013
naijababe:
Any ticket with Fashola on it will make other regions fret! It wasn't that long ago that Obasanjo ruled, I am certain other regions will wonder why the SW are anxious to get power back so soon and let's not forget the Tinubu baggage.

And why will they fret? We are looking at a VP slot here not the presidency itself. If u are indirectly talking about the SE, for now forget the presidency. They have placed their destiny in the hands of Ebele Azikwe Jonathan. They also could look for another VP slot.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 21, 2013
^ Being an anti-corruption czar with a gun is completely different from doing the same task under a democratic dispensation. I
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 2:34pm On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:

Mind you, I personally do not subscribe to a Buhari candidacy - but the thread is not about my personal subscription. The thread is about realistic options for the opposition and in that regard, Buhari may be a liability in terms of securing southern votes.

I concede though, that he will be a good candidate to sweep northern votes. I also concede that he will be good for anti-corruption.

Who in the north can sweep southern votes? Name one. And who in the south can sweep northern votes? Name one.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by takedat(m): 2:35pm On Jan 21, 2013
Demdem:

And why will they fret? We are looking at a VP slot here not the presidency itself. If u are indirectly talking about the SE, for now forget the presidency. They have placed their destiny in the hands of Ebele Azikwe Jonathan. They also could look for another VP slot.
Word!
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 2:38pm On Jan 21, 2013
naijababe: ^ Being an anti-corruption czar with a gun is completely different doing the same task under a democratic dispensation. I

of cos i know this but does it mean one that succeeded in a military dispensation cant succeed in a democratic setting? Of cos not. Besides, the mere fact that he succeded then when his other contemporaries failed suggests to me the kind of man we are talking about here.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 21, 2013
Demdem:

Even VP for a Yoruba man right is overly ambitious, it's still too close to the seat of power. Besides, you have to admit that a vast majority of SW tolerate Tinubu because of Fashola and not the other way round. Way I see it, in Tinubu is dead weight for Fashola in national politics, I don't know how Fash can be rid of him.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jan 21, 2013
Demdem:

of cos i know this but does it mean one that succeeded in a military dispensation cant succeed in a democratic setting? Of cos not. Besides, the mere fact that he succeded then when his other contemporaries failed suggests to me the kind of man we are talking about here.

Herein lies the problem, for non-believers like me, what can he do to convince otherwise? Going by what you see on this thread, there are many just like out there.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 2:48pm On Jan 21, 2013
Has everyone noticed how odious Atiku's name has become. Not a single person even dares suggest him. I guess this is because of the very heavy toga of corruption (proven or not) that seems to follow him about like a shadow. There are also other reasons I guess. Such as his draining struggle with Obasanjo, his cross-carpeting twice as well. Another reason could be his very unsportsmanlike vitriol against Jonathan in the 2011 PDP primaries.

At all events, it appears that everyone seems to have ruled him out. Good. I simply see him as the epitome of business as usual.

Anyway, talking about realistic options, its high time I threw my hat in the ring.

However these suggestions may hinge on capturing certain key PDP players (which I admit in itself may not be so realistic!) -

How about these suggestions -

[Current PDP members are highlighted in Blue]

P: El-Rufai or Nuhu Ribadu - VP: Peter Obi

P: El Rufal or Nuhu Ribadi - VP: Fashola

P: Bukola Saraki - VP: Peter Obi

P: Sule Lamido - VP: Fashola

P: Mohammed Buba Marwa - VP: Fashola

What do you make of the above suggestions?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 2:56pm On Jan 21, 2013
naijababe:

Herein lies the problem, for non-believers like me, what can he do to convince otherwise? Going by what you see on this thread, there are many just like out there.

What convinced u that the retardeen that achieved absolutely nothing as Bayelsa Governor will become a good president before u voted for him? What peeps like me looks at are track records and potentials. We arent spirits and none knows the future however we have the gift of spotting potentials when one comes across such.
if u are to go by this thread, u will see that we have less non-belivers like u unlike belivers. Until he is tried and tested, u simply cant tell, however the huge potential is there and that to me is enough. Doubting Thomases will always exist no matter what so its no problem.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 2:56pm On Jan 21, 2013
[size=16pt]Alternate Demonic Suggestion from the pit of hell, just revealed to me in a vision:

Presidential Candidate: Hamza Al-Mustapha

Vice-Presidential: DSP Diepreye Alamayeseigha[/size]

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 3:01pm On Jan 21, 2013
naijababe:

Even VP for a Yoruba man right is overly ambitious, it's still too close to the seat of power. Besides, you have to admit that a vast majority of SW tolerate Tinubu because of Fashola and not the other way round. Way I see it, in Tinubu is dead weight for Fashola in national politics, I don't know how Fash can be rid of him.

have u forgotten so soon that since 2010 when retardeen became President till date, this same Yoruba man is/will not be close to the seat of power however all other regions are (SE inclusive). Not that Yorubas are complaining, afterall with Yoruba man close there in time past nothing significant was acheived.
VP for Yoruba man in 2015 isnt out of place. if it was the presido, then maybe u may have a point.

Now get this straight. Without Tinubu, there is no fashola. Even fashola himself knows this. Either in the past, present and future. Asiwaju is no dead weight but fashola's backbone. Chew that.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:

[Current PDP members are highlighted in Blue]

P: El-Rufai or Nuhu Ribadu - VP: Peter Obi I'd rather have Ngige in there, Obi is a sectional politician, although he might capture SE for the ticket

P: El Rufal or Nuhu Ribadi - VP: Fashola Outside of the SW, I am not sure this ticket will work. We are a sentimental lot, Tinubu is an albatross for him.

P: Bukola Saraki - VP: Peter Obi -Dead on arrival, the core north will not vote for Bukola, he's not northern enough

P: Sule Lamido - VP: Fashola - Possible stalement here, getting the votes of SS/SE will be herculean, besides wasn't Lamido's son caught laundering money a while back?

P: Mohammed Buba Marwa - VP: Fashola Why are you joking with us Deep sight? Might as well hand over the keys of Aso Rock to IBB grin

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 21, 2013
Demdem:

have u forgotten so soon that since 2010 when retardeen became President till date, this same Yoruba man is/will not be close to the seat of power however all other regions are (SE inclusive). Not that Yorubas are complaining, afterall with Yoruba man close there in time past nothing significant was acheived.
VP for Yoruba man in 2015 isnt out of place. if it was the presido, then maybe u may have a point.

Now get this straight. [size=16pt]Without Tinubu, there is no fashola. Even fashola himself knows this. Either in the past, present and future. Asiwaju is no dead weight but fashola's backbone. Chew that.[/size]

You know that and even I will concede that much but not the case outside SW. BTW, I was rooting for Ribadu all the way, the thought of voting GEJ never even crossed my mind.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 3:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:

P: El-Rufai or Nuhu Ribadu - VP: Peter Obi

Good canditates IMO however i dont see them capturing enough votes to defeat the killer party all over the federation. Also considering the fact that OBi is APGA and it has been well stated that APGA is much more alligned to the killer party, this isnt realistic enough.

P: El Rufal or Nuhu Ribadi - VP: Fashola

Good canditates IMO however i dont see them capturing enough votes to defeat the killer party all over the federation.

P: Bukola Saraki - VP: Peter Obi

This doesnt differ from retardeen/sambo ticket now

P: Sule Lamido - VP: Fashola

I have it on good authority that Lamido is pretty doing well has governor. He seems to be one of the few killer governors doing good however i dont see how realistic this ticket can be. Lamido's closeness to OBJ also suggest to me that he simply cant leave the killer party for now. This ticket isnt realistic.

P: Mohammed Buba Marwa - VP: Fashola

marwa, hmmmn tough one here. keep my fingers crossed. i honestly dont know how acceptable he is even to his north constituency however i can bet my prick that Buhari will gather more votes than him even in the north

Good suggestions no doubt however, the million dollar question is how many votes can they gather that can defeat the killer party.

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 3:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
@ Naijababe, I hear you, but please remember the key word is "realistic" for the opposition to have cross-country appeal.

Left to me, those would not be my suggestions. If zoning was not an issue in Nigeria I would immediately pick something like Fashola-Pat Utomi
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 3:15pm On Jan 21, 2013
naijababe:

You know that and even I will concede that much but not the case outside SW. BTW, I was rooting for Ribadu all the way, the thought of voting GEJ never even crossed my mind.

Ok good to know u never rooted for the retardeen.
Outside SW or Outside lagos had nothing to do with emergence of Fashola. He is Tinubu's product that was sold to lagosians who voted for him enmass and currently not regretting. Am not so sure if i perfectly understood ur post however any effort on the part of fashola to cut off his backbone will be politically suicidal for him. that he himself recognises.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by takedat(m): 3:17pm On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:
@ Naijababe, I hear you, but please remember the key word is "realistic" for the opposition to have cross-country appeal.

Left to me, those would not be my suggestions. If zoning was not an issue in Nigeria I would immediately pick something like Fashola-Pat Utomi
Instead of the Fashola-Utomi ticket, I guess I'll rather prefer a Ribadu-Utomi one. If Buhari concedes to Ribadu, he will most likely garner a lot of votes in the North, while Utomi will appeal to the quasi-intellectuals, students and the neutrals, and the ACN governors working for them in the SW
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 3:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:

who doesnt desire good thing. Of cos i desire this but this isnt realistic enough to defeat the killer party. Utomi should be able to deliver economical wise but i doubt if he can deliver his LG on election day let alone his state. Not in my present country. Its all about the numbers bro.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 3:21pm On Jan 21, 2013
Akpan107: My dear, i totally disagree with you! Buhari can never win the North completely, as voting for a President has turned into religious divide... Now, 40-45% of people in the North are Christians who would never trust the Buhari presidency...
Here is the list of places Buhari would never win in the North:
Taraba State
Southern Kaduna
Plateau State
Benue State
Kogi State
Kwara State
Adamawa State
while Goodluck will sweep the above States, South-West, South-East and South-South. 2015 no Vecancy in Aso-Rock.

Is southern Kaduna now a state? PDP/GEJ sweeping south west in 2015? I laugh in Yoruba... I can convincingly tell you that apart from Plateau and Benue who will still vote along religious line, GEJ will lose in all other states in middle belt. 2015 will be different and too bad if you dont know that. I am south west and you are not - I am in a better position to advice you as to how south west will vote. GEJ will struggle to get 25% in some states here - write it down.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Gooogle(m): 3:21pm On Jan 21, 2013
okpara ugo:

It's so that they can satisfy their desires of throwing a Fashola under him. One even went ahead to advice Buhari to serve one tenure and then hand over to Fashola. The movie sweet sha.

Aside Buhari, the only Nigerian that can win Jonathan/PDP in 2015 is Oshiomhole irrespective of where his deputy comes from. Oshiomhole has nationwide acceptance. If Buhari failed 3ce, i dont doubt a 4th.

error
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Eziachi: 3:21pm On Jan 21, 2013
Wadeoye: Buhari/Oshiomole. I dont see making an igbo man vp adding any value to the dream of evolving an alternative platform, otherwise, someone like ngige would have been a good vp candidate.
Why would Ngige or Igbo be subject to just a VP option under any platform?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
Wadeoye:

Is southern Kaduna now a state? PDP/GEJ sweeping south west in 2015? I laugh in Yoruba... I can convincingly tell you that apart from Plateau and Benue who will still vote along religious line, GEJ will lose in all other states in middle belt. 2015 will be different and too bad if you dont know that. I am south west and you are not - I am in a better position to advice you as to how south west will vote. GEJ will struggle to get 25% in some states here - write it down.

I don't know about Benue but you can scratch Plateau out of that, abi no be the same Plateau wey dem dey kill dem like suya all the time and all presido can do is say ' We are on top of the situation' ?!
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Eziachi: 3:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
Wadeoye:

And who did the South West gave their vote in 2011?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 3:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
take dat: Instead of the Fashola-Utomi ticket, I guess I'll rather prefer a Ribadu-Utomi one. If Buhari concedes to Ribadu, he will most likely garner a lot of votes in the North, while Utomi will appeal to the quasi-intellectuals and the neutrals, while the ACN governors work for them in the SW

I have heard this several times however having an idea of the average psyche of our brothers up there i doubt if this will work. Let buhari raise Ribadu's hands as much as he can, he simply cant gather as much votes as what Buhari himself will gather. The guy is simply an enigma up there. its all about the numbers.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Gooogle(m): 3:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
bjdon:
Very true and well spoken. I really can't understand why the only option being spoken off is a man who will be 74 by 2015 and had lost 3 elections. There must be other candidates from across the Nation who can step forward.

This issue of someone failing 3x or 20x is the most annoying thing I ever read online.It only shows how your life is and how you manage it.All over history, men have failed even to their grave, yet they never gave up. So if your parents said no to you after 2 or 3 times for whatever request, you will quit. I think you are a failure yourself in real life. Shior
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Gooogle(m): 3:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
bjdon: Buhari has run for president 3 times and each time his performance in the South was dreadful. I don't see why it would be any different this time. The ACN is actually not as strong anymore as the recent Ondo election showed. People in the SW are now seeing that the ACN are not much different from the PDP with the exception of Fashola and Osho baba. But even if Buhari/Tinubu were to sweep the SW I still don't think it will be enough. As in the last election, the PDP's ground machine in the North East and North west will ensure that Goodluck is at least competitive in the North, while he will win the North Central, SE, and SS.

This issue of someone failing 3x or 20x is the most annoying thing I ever read online.It only shows how your life is and how you manage it.All over history, men have failed even to their grave, yet they never gave up. So if your parents said no to you after 2 or 3 times for whatever request, you will quit. I think you are a failure yourself in real life. Shior
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by takedat(m): 3:25pm On Jan 21, 2013
Akpan107: My dear, i totally disagree with you! Buhari can never win the North completely, as voting for a President has turned into religious divide... Now, 40-45% of people in the North are Christians who would never trust the Buhari presidency...
Here is the list of places Buhari would never win in the North:
Taraba State
Southern Kaduna
Plateau State
Benue State
Kogi State
Kwara State
Adamawa State
while Goodluck will sweep the above States, South-West, South-East and South-South. 2015 no Vecancy in Aso-Rock.
Exclude Adamawa, Kwara and Kogi from your list. If the elections goes on ethno-religious sentiments and a lacklustre performance from GEJ, a northern muslim candidate will get enormous support from these states
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Eziachi: 3:26pm On Jan 21, 2013
take dat: Instead of the Fashola-Utomi ticket, I guess I'll rather prefer a Ribadu-Utomi one. If Buhari concedes to Ribadu, he will most likely garner a lot of votes in the North, while Utomi will appeal to the quasi-intellectuals and the neutrals, and the ACN governors working for them in the SW
Who did the ACN governor worked for in 2011, because last I checked Ribadu they fielded is still asking, what happened?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
Eziachi:
And who did the South West gave their vote in 2011?

Ever heard the saying ' Once bitten, twice shy' sir?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 3:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
Eziachi:
Why would Ngige or Igbo be subject to just a VP option under any platform?

pa Eziachi, in as much as i believe great igbo sons exist that can channel this country in the right path, i dont think talking about Igbo presidency in 2015 is the way to go considering the fact that we have Ebele Azikwe Jonathan as President. With due respect, Igbo presidency in 2015 is an impossibility.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Fashola Signs Cremation Bill In To Law / Amaechi At Senate To Defend 2017 Ministry Of Transportation Budget (Pics) / Agitations: Nigeria Must Embrace Restructuring Before It Is Too Late - Fayemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.