Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,430 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Nairaland Detection Club - Literature (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland Detection Club (55221 Views)

Nairaland Detection Club 2 - 2014. For Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (76) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Detection Club by Ishilove: 4:07pm On Mar 18, 2013
Larry-Sun:

Over a hundred thousand words. Why did you ask?
shocked
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by LarrySun(m): 8:11pm On Mar 18, 2013
This is to inform writers and readers alike that the new roster for the collaboration stuff is listed below:

HumbledbYGrace: Chapter Ten (March 19, 2013)

Frosti: Chapter Eleven (March 23, 2013)

Senbonzakura_kayegoshi: Chapter Twelve (March 27, 2013)

Foxy_Ultimate: Chapter Thirteen (March 31, 2013)

Mynd_44: Chapter Fourteen (April 4, 2013)

Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by FoxyUltimate(m): 8:14pm On Mar 18, 2013
Larry-Sun:
This is to inform writers and readers alike that the new roster for the collaboration stuff is listed below:

HumbledbYGrace: Chapter Ten (March 19, 2013)

Frosti: Chapter Eleven (March 23, 2013)

Senbonzakura_kayegoshi: Chapter Twelve (March 27, 2013)

Foxy_Ultimate: Chapter Thirteen (March 31, 2013)

Mynd_44: Chapter Fourteen (April 4, 2013)

Thanks.

This dude really wan grind my a.rse. Thanks for putting my name again, at least you still believe in me.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by LarrySun(m): 8:21pm On Mar 18, 2013
Foxy_Ultimate:

This dude really wan grind my a.rse. Thanks for putting my name again, at least you still believe in me.
Of course, I believe in you. You're a great writer.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by Rapmaestro(m): 8:21pm On Mar 18, 2013
Me likey, me xpecting
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by FoxyUltimate(m): 8:24pm On Mar 18, 2013
Larry-Sun:

Of course, I believe in you. You're a great writer.

Stop to dey flatter yourself...
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by FoxyUltimate(m): 8:25pm On Mar 18, 2013
Rap maestro: Me likey, me xpecting

You notice say na Easter day dem put me ba....
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by LarrySun(m): 8:39pm On Mar 18, 2013
Foxy_Ultimate:

Stop to dey flatter yourself...
Take it or leave it. Your choice.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by LarrySun(m): 8:41pm On Mar 18, 2013
Foxy_Ultimate:

A reprieval for your sins.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by Rapmaestro(m): 8:44pm On Mar 18, 2013
Foxy_Ultimate:

best of luck bro... Pray dem sh?ft am 4 u na.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by EfemenaXY: 9:42pm On Mar 18, 2013
Larry-Sun:

Over a hundred thousand words. Why did you ask?

No reason, really.

Was just curious, that's all.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by frank317: 12:05am On Mar 20, 2013
ok HBG has updated, getting sleepy, will read in the morning, thanks HBG.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by Ishilove: 12:20am On Mar 20, 2013
Hmmm, HBG...

Is Victor Obasola 'HIM'?? HIM is the Big Kahuna of this story.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:20am On Mar 20, 2013
Ishilove: Hmmm, HBG...

Is Victor Obasola 'HIM'?? HIM is the Big Kahuna of this story.
well this thing is harder than I thought

I did my part.

*rolling eyes*
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by bigsholly(f): 7:42am On Mar 20, 2013
HBG nw put light 2 how sharon knw abt medical
Stuff. Good job dearie

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Detection Club by LarrySun(m): 8:32am On Mar 20, 2013
I must really commend her efforts. She revealed a lot of truths we would never have guessed.

One villain was out (Ayodele) and she introduced another (Kamo). Just when we thought we've almost figured out all the bad guys, HBG tossed us another wonderful surprise.

Except for the errors (typographical and syntax), the chapter stands its worth.

It appears as though HBG knows more about Lagos than I do; look at the description of Ikoyi in the first paragraph, so poetic.

Every writer, I mean every, is doing a great job. Each chapter provides fresh knowledge and ideas.

GREAT NAIRALAND WRITERS! grin

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Detection Club by Oahray: 8:55am On Mar 20, 2013
Em... HBG, you kinda lost me there. Maybe it's cause I read it on the move. Would re-read later and have my say.

You turned David and Sharon to lovers? These romance babes sef grin grin
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by FoxyUltimate(m): 9:01am On Mar 20, 2013
Larry-Sun:
I must really commend her efforts. She revealed a lot of truths we would never have guessed.

One villain was out (Ayodele) and she introduced another (Kamo). Just when we thought we've almost figured out all the bad guys, HBG tossed us another wonderful surprise.

It appears as though HBG knows more about Lagos than I do; look at the description of Ikoyi in the first paragraph, so poetic.

Every writer, I mean every, is doing a great job. Each chapter provides fresh knowledge and ideas.

O my God... I'm in a really big trouble....

Nice work my female self angry angry angry

You blew my mind away o

I just recommended you to James Hadley Chase grin grin
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:03am On Mar 20, 2013
Larry-Sun:

My first teasure haff spoken....my soul is delighted. Thank you sir
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by Ishilove: 9:05am On Mar 20, 2013
Very interesting HBG. You gave 'Him' a human face and he fits more in the mould of a super villain than JayB, and like Larry has pointed out, you have also introduced a new villain. I wonder where other writers will place 'The Limping Man' grin. Very nice. smiley

My observations:

"Enike stood infront of her floor to ceiling wall mirror, her stomach ever so flat which went quite well with her thin body frame. But the flat tummy didn't make her happy, she was after all nine months pregnant."-A woman can't be nine months pregnant and have a flat tummy. NEVER. Consider revising.

"For a twenty three year old beau like her, it was hard to get boys off her back and the guy was no exception." - If I'm not mistaken, 'beau' means 'boyfriend'. Consider revising.

You need to be consistent with names, I see 'Enika and Obosola' in some places, then 'Enike and Obasola' in others. However since these are Nigerian names you are not familiar with, I guess we can overlook them. smiley

"At last she found her voice" - Why? When we use sentences this way, it is usually because the character has been in a flabbergasting or shocking situation that has robbed the character of speech.

Why did Cathy mummur a weak thank you?

What was it threw her off so that she lost her voice and later 'found it'? Consider revising.

"Cathy was watching his lips
move and listening to the sound from his
chest."
- How? Sounds are often heard in our chest when there is a problem with our lungs, or breathing. If this is the case, the breaths come out as wheezes, which are audible to the ears. The only sound that can be heard in our chest is the heartbeat which is not audible to the human ear. Consider revising.

"I have settled Koko's score, he was
murdered by his sons, the other plotting while the other roasted him..."
. -This directly clashes with the storyline. In chapter 8, following Madam K's train of thoughts, we get to the point where she muses that Koko was killed because of his greed. She warned him about the consequences of crossing HIM, but his greed did not allow him listen and he paid for it. So Koko's sons could not have been the killers since HIM's deputy has pointed to the contrary. Consider revising.

"He had so many times wondered how the man does it. He had provided for her but she still ran after him. Serves them both right that she had died but he had felt pity and resentment for little Enike who didn't understand anything." - I don't understand this paragraph. Who ran after Koko? Which Enike is being referred to here? How is Koko connected to Enike? Victor Mobo's late daughter was also named Enike so I find this paragraph confusing.

Victor Mobo Obasola is the mysterious HIM, so why does he drop quotes with his real name?

If Ayodele knew Tracy was his half-sister, why did he go ahead to kill her? Wouldn't he have tried to establish some link or contact? And besides, in Tracy's and Lucan's apartment, we are given the impression that he and Tracy were strangers to each other. Or did he come into the information AFTER he had murdered her?

There are also some typos here and there but they are minor. Good job smiley

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Detection Club by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:08am On Mar 20, 2013
Oahray: Em... HBG, you kinda lost me there. Maybe it's cause I read it on the move. Would re-read later and have my say.
I took the extract of my new chapters from Redmosquito's chapter. There was a loose end there and I saw the opportunity.

Oahray: You turned David and Sharon to lovers? These romance babes sef grin grin
My expertise lies here
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:10am On Mar 20, 2013
Foxy_Ultimate:

O my God... I'm in a really big trouble....

Nice work my female self angry angry angry

You blew my mind away o

I just recommended you to James Hadley Chase grin grin
*skips happily around the room*

Thank you twiny grin

@Bigsholly...I love thee
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by Rapmaestro(m): 9:17am On Mar 20, 2013
Wonderful but confusing though
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by channel190(m): 9:34am On Mar 20, 2013
Ishilove: Very interesting HBG. You gave 'Him' a human face and he fits more in the mould of a super villain than JayB, and like Larry has pointed out, you have also introduced a new villain. I wonder where other writers will place 'The Limping Man' grin. Very nice. smiley

My observations:

"Enike stood infront of her floor to ceiling wall mirror, her stomach ever so flat which went quite well with her thin body frame. But the flat tummy didn't make her happy, she was after all nine months pregnant."-A woman can't be nine months pregnant and have a flat tummy. NEVER. Consider revising.

"For a twenty three year old beau like her, it was hard to get boys off her back and the guy was no exception." - If I'm not mistaken, 'beau' means 'boyfriend'. Consider revising.

You need to be consistent with names, I see 'Enika and Obosola' in some places, then 'Enike and Obasola' in others. However since these are Nigerian names you are not familiar with, I guess we can overlook them. smiley

"At last she found her voice" - Why? When we use sentences this way, it is usually because the character has been in a flabbergasting or shocking situation that has robbed the character of speech.

What was it threw her off so that she lost her voice and later 'found it'? Consider revising.

chest."
- How? Sounds are often heard in our chest when there is a problem with our lungs, or breathing. If this is the case, the breaths come out as wheezes, which are audible to the ears. The only sound that can be heard in our chest is the heartbeat which is not audible to the human ear. Consider revising.

"I have settled Koko's score, he was
murdered by his sons, the other plotting while the other roasted him..."
. -This directly clashes with the storyline. In chapter 8, following Madam K's train of thoughts, we get to the point where she muses that Koko was killed because of his greed. She warned him about the consequences of crossing HIM, but his greed did not allow him listen and he paid for it. So Koko's sons could not have been the killers since HIM's deputy has pointed to the contrary. Consider revising.

"He had so many times wondered how the man does it. He had provided for her but she still ran after him. Serves them both right that she had died but he had felt pity and resentment for little Enike who didn't understand anything." - I don't understand this paragraph. Who ran after Koko? Which Enike is being referred to here? How is Koko connected to Enike? Victor Mobo's late daughter was also named Enike so I find this paragraph confusing.

Victor Mobo Obasola is the mysterious HIM, so why does he drop quotes with his real name?

If Ayodele knew Tracy was his half-sister, why did he go ahead to kill her? Wouldn't he have tried to establish some link or contact? And besides, in Tracy's and Lucan's apartment, we are given the impression that he and Tracy were strangers to each other. Or did he come into the information AFTER he had murdered her?

There are also some typos here and there but they are minor. Good job smiley
and sooner than later we all will be seeing this collabo on the front page.

nice work, babe keep it up...you keeping all this on track.
i read with no interest buh when i saw this sound critic my day was made.
@ all, keep ur collabos up.
nice work
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:39am On Mar 20, 2013
Ishilove: Very interesting HBG. You gave 'Him' a human face and he fits more in the mould of a super villain than JayB, and like Larry has pointed out, you have also introduced a new villain. I wonder where other writers will place 'The Limping Man' . Very nice. 

My observations:

they can, I have seen it happen.

Ishilove: "For a twenty three year old beau like her, it was hard to get boys off her back and the guy was no exception." - If I'm not mistaken, 'beau' means 'boyfriend'. Consider revising.
been used as beautiful but will edit that

You need to be consistent with names, I see 'Enika and Obosola' in some places, then 'Enike and Obasola' in others. However since these are Nigerian names you are not familiar with, I guess we can overlook them. 

Ishilove: "At last she found her voice" - Why? When we use sentences this way, it is usually because the character has been in a flabbergasting or shocking situation that has robbed the character of speech.

chest." - How? Sounds are often heard in our chest when there is a problem with our lungs, or breathing. If this is the case, the breaths come out as wheezes, which are audible to the ears. The only sound that can be heard in our chest is the heartbeat which is not audible to the human ear. Consider revising.
right....I was thinking of something and I described it as it had happened. Learning...will look into it.

Ishilove: "I have settled Koko's score, he was
murdered by his sons, the other plotting while the other roasted him...". -This directly clashes with the storyline. In chapter 8, following Madam K's train of thoughts, we get to the point where she muses that Koko was killed because of his greed. She warned him about the consequences of crossing HIM, but his greed did not allow him listen and he paid for it. So Koko's sons could not have been the killers since HIM's deputy has pointed to the contrary. Consider revising.
Madam K, had talked to Koko and what's not but Him also had scores to settle with Koko, he might have not told her the whole story about why he hated Koko. I just found it fit...it can be edited. And Koko's sons are Ayodele and the Bamo guy...I have given the limping guy that Bamo character. Since Redmoss said Koko had kids all over Nigeria, I just connected the dots...Madam K had looked for them kids and got them involved into the murder case without them knowing that Koko was their father.

Ishilove: "He had so many times wondered how the man does it. He had provided for her but she still ran after him. Serves them both right that she had died but he had felt pity and resentment for little Enike who didn't understand anything." - I don't understand this paragraph. Who ran after Koko? Which Enike is being referred to here? How is Koko connected to Enike? Victor Mobo's late daughter was also named Enike so I find this paragraph confusing.
I introduced Enike, she had only a father...who is 'Him' her mother was never mentioned. The 'her' I am reffering to is Victor's dead wife. She left Enike who was too young to understand.

Ishilove: Victor Mobo Obasola is the mysterious HIM, so why does he drop quotes with his real name?
I did that? Shirt! Will correct it sorry guys

Ishilove: If Ayodele knew Tracy was his half-sister, why did he go ahead to kill her? Wouldn't he have tried to establish some link or contact? And besides, in Tracy's and Lucan's apartment, we are given the impression that he and Tracy were strangers to each other. Or did he come into the information AFTER he had murdered her?
He was killed because of that too much info, Madam K, got rid of him because he was a threat

Ishilove: There are also some typos here and there but they are minor. Good job

Madam Ishi herself.

Thanks ma'am
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by LarrySun(m): 9:53am On Mar 20, 2013
I'm very much impressed with all those that Ishilove has pointed out, gives HBG the chance to correct. But, however, some of them can be explained:

1. Ishi is right. No woman would be nine months pregnant and still have a flat stomach, except Foxy's girlfriend.

2. 'Beau' is a woman's male lover. I learnt that from reading Gone With The Wind.

3&4. Very shrewd, Ishi is.

5. In this case, I thought one killed Koko, while another burnt down his mansion. But Koko wasn't in the burning building, so, rather Koko, it was his wife and killed who got roasted. Koko's son could really have killed him, if the son was not aware of that he was committing patricide. And the greed that led to Koko's demise could be systematically explained by the next writer(s). I envision Kamo learning about the truth, reconciling with Lucan (whom he supposedly shot) and going after the demonic Obatola (I prefer Obatola to Obotola, the latter sounds somehow obscene grin ). But I know the story may not veer to such direection.

6. I found that confusing too, but I can only guess. The 'she' (who must be obeyed grin , kidding) who ran after Koko was Obatola's wife (Enike's mother and the same one barbecued in the inferno). And, just perhaps, the greed referred to in Chapter Eight was the fact that Koko ate the meat meant for the god. The resentment Obatola has for Enike, that, I can't guess. I reckon the writer would make adjustments and shed more light.

7. The writer didn't say Victor Mobo was HIM, HIM could still be someone more powerful than Victor...HIM would never post his full name after that quotation. Even Cathy may not know the real HIM, thinking Victor is. grin

8. Ayodele may not have known that he was related to Tracy, even till his own death too.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by Ishilove: 9:53am On Mar 20, 2013
You're welcome, dear.

@all. I made my critique from the POV of a reader. Let us endeavour to give details as clearly as possible because we paint stories with words and leaving too many gaps in our work will leave the reader unsatisfied. The reader, most times, will not be able to get a hold of the writer to explain some details in the work to him, so it is left for the writer to make himself as clear as possible.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by Nobody: 10:01am On Mar 20, 2013
Abeg HBG after you effect the corrections let us know. I no wan confuse myself more.

*in Hancocks voice* Good job!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Detection Club by LarrySun(m): 10:03am On Mar 20, 2013
channel 190: and sooner than later we all will be seeing this collabo on the front page.
nice work
If the work is going to appear on the frontpage, I'd appreciate it if the supermod locked it first. I wouldn't want readers' comments on the thread spoiling the fun, you know.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by Ishilove: 10:03am On Mar 20, 2013
Larry-Sun:
I'm very much impressed with all those that Ishilove has pointed out, gives HBG the chance to correct. But, however, some of them can be explained:

1. Ishi is right. No woman would be nine months pregnant and still have a flat stomach, except Foxy's girlfriend.
Lwkmd!! cheesy

Larry-Sun:

5. In this case, I thought one killed Koko, while another burnt down his mansion. But Koko wasn't in the burning building, so, rather Koko, it was his wife and killed who got roasted. Koko's son could really have killed him, if the son was not aware of that he was committing patricide. And the greed that led to Koko's demise could be systematically explained by the next writer(s). I envision Kamo learning about the truth, reconciling with Lucan (whom he supposedly shot) and going after the demonic Obatola (I prefer Obatola to Obotola, the latter sounds somehow obscene grin ). But I know the story may not veer to such direection.
I was envisioning a more sinister plot, but I guess this will suffice.

'Obotola' ke? You need Jesus!! cheesy

Larry-Sun:

6. I found that confusing too, but I can only guess. The 'she' (who must be obeyed grin , kidding) who ran after Koko was Obatola's wife (Enike's mother and the same one barbecued in the inferno). And, just perhaps, the greed referred to in Chapter Eight was the fact that Koko ate the meat meant for the god. The resentment Obatola has for Enike, that, I can't guess. I reckon the writer would make adjustments and shed more light.
She sure does smiley

Larry-Sun:

7. The writer didn't say Victor Mobo was HIM, HIM could still be someone more powerful than Victor...HIM would never post his full name after that quotation. Even Cathy may not know the real HIM, thinking Victor is. grin
It was inferred that Victor was HIM.

Larry-Sun:

8. Ayodele may not have known that he was related to Tracy, even till his own death too.

It was clearly stated that Ayo knew Tracy was his sis, that's why he was killed.
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:03am On Mar 20, 2013
Ishilove: You're welcome, dear.

@all. I made my critique from the POV of a reader. Let us endeavour to give details as clearly as possible because we paint stories with words and leaving too many gaps in our work will leave the reader unsatisfied. The reader, most times, will not be able to get a hold of the writer to explain some details in the work to him, so it is left for the writer to make himself as clear as possible.
yes ma'am
Re: Nairaland Detection Club by LarrySun(m): 10:05am On Mar 20, 2013
brokoto:
*in Hancocks voice* Good job!
LOL! HBG isn't preventing a bank robbery. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (76) (Reply)

Sinister Affections Part 2 / Wole Soyinka Battled With Prostate Cancer / Lost Of Virginity; An Early Mistake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.