Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage (19807 Views)

Christiane Amanpour Interviews President Buhari At 7PM Tonight / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) / Christiane Amanpour Interviews Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Konnektions146(m): 11:23am On Feb 05, 2013
taharq and co,please check the profile of that lady well.christiane Amanpour is a model of a journalist,chief international correspondent for CNN for years and at some point de highest paid Tv presenter in the world. she has a very amiable CV.and has interviewed more head of states and notable world names more than u can imagine, so relAx`she won't be fired.

@topic
power improved at some point but it is very bad right now. I stay in.uyo and since I came back to this town some 2weeks ago, my generator has been doin a hard job. in de past 2 weeks I very.not had power up to 20 hours combined.
people around uyo can attest to dis.

Jonathan is trying but it seemed that bartg nnaji left with de power improvement magic.
I wish it could get better.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by lovejo(m): 11:24am On Feb 05, 2013
In my area in Ibadan, Oluyole extension precisely, we got light of at least 18 to 20hrs daily, anyone living around this area can confirm it, I don't know about those having transformer problem.

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 11:25am On Feb 05, 2013
If they had interviewed people in my area in IB, the response would have been very different. Power in my area is almost 90% constant, I mean, ALWAYS ON.
But, I guess not so many places in Nigeria can say the same thing.

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 05, 2013
nusetron: @taqhara,@tchalk no 1 is saying power situation hasn't improved slightly, but why must a president pay millions of naira 4 cheap publicity when he knows d improvement isn't a marked 1. Obviously he bragged on air about lagos and amanpour decided 2 visit lagos. Leave ur sentiment aside n please 4get abt benin 4 now and think abt d general populace, evaluate their thoughts and u will know Jonathan just made a mockery of the nigerian populace. 2 cap it all I grew up in lagos and power wasn't this bad prior 2 now, so if lagosians say jona no try, ABEG TAKE IT FROM THEM. Cos its simply d GOSPEL TRUTH
U grew in Lagos and power wxnt ds bad... HahBah Nigerians.. U lived all yor life in govt house alausa ikeja or dodan barrackz? Is it nt in ds same country wher durin objs and even yaraduas govt, money wx given to ministries and parastatals to buy genrrator and perm secretaries and dgs collected xorbitant. Money frm govt 2 buy subsidized fuel run the ministries and parastatals... Nigerians, let's be fair 2 ourselves... Hahbah...

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 05, 2013
lovejo: In my area in Ibadan, Oluyole extension precisely, we got light of at least 18 to 20hrs daily, anyone living around this area can confirm it, I don't know about those having transformer problem.
On point bro...I only fear of power outage whenever it seems like rain.

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by pauloman(m): 11:27am On Feb 05, 2013
Chrisbenogor:

Jeez we are not yet at the promised land, I agree!

The decay in the power sector over the many years the military held power cannot and I repeat CANNOT be repaired in even 10 years. It will take TIME even if all the money in the world is there.

OBJ used 16 billion dollars to produce darkness was never able to get generation above 2k MW for 8 years same thing Yar adua. I do not like the pdp or GEJ, but we should stop letting these people pull us down each time. Na so slave trade start, you think Christiane is on your side? Dream pfocking on!

Nobody is trying to criticize his performance but a real,true and compassionate leader will be very objective,sincere with his words and be honest at all times about the situation of things such that he would command respect from his followers . GEJ was trying to embellish his performance in that interview which does not tally well with the real situation on ground.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Ngwakwe: 11:28am On Feb 05, 2013
If what Amanpour did was to sample opinion poll, the percentage error will likely be 70% (good or bad in this case worse)

The percentage sample is infinitesimal to support reference or research.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by lovejo(m): 11:29am On Feb 05, 2013
Josh090:
On point bro...I only fear of power outage whenever it seems like rain.

Thanks bro, I was back home for 5 weeks and I did not buy fuel throughout, though it might not be general but this has been happening for past 4 years in that area.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 05, 2013
Okija_juju: Watched the darn thing live yesternight on CNN

Why would CNN choose some retards to film?! That Okoko Yoruba girl was just speaking fhune (with 'How' being pronounced as 'ow') and she was overly excited to be filmed by CNN. She even claimed they had 4 generators at home.

IMO, Light situation in my area has improved from the norm. I havent had need to put on my generator at night in over a month. I have an inverter but between the Inverter and NEPA light, I always have power all night when I am home. Infact, at night, if the light goes out, its always turned back on in under 30 minutes..

This is true in my own case too...last time I tried to start my gen, it didn't start and am still to repair it.
But guy, why must you always abuse yoruba people?

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Okijajuju1(m): 11:37am On Feb 05, 2013
Josh090:
This is true in my own case too...last time I tried to start my gen, it didn't start and am still to repair it.
But guy, why must you always abuse yoruba people?

No vex o!!

The yoruba in my statement was just a descriptive noun!!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Okijajuju1(m): 11:40am On Feb 05, 2013
P.S Trans-Amadi Gardens in Port-Harcourt had steady power supply for two months without interruption when I first moved in there in 2008.

There is another place in Mgbuobe Port-Harcourt where when the power goes out, the guy (whose house we were in) said close your eyes and count 1 - 100 slowly and the light will return before you finish.. barely 5 mins later, VOILA!!

Power has improved jor!! From 30 minutes a week to atleast 12hours a day na improvement!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ifihearam: 11:43am On Feb 05, 2013
The problem with Nigerians is that you don't appreciate good things,insatiable hypocrites what do you want?you remind me if the proverbial tortoise who fell into a pit full of poo,stayed there for 7days and when help finally came to rescue him he exclaimed the place is smelling" shame on you who condemns GEJ eespecially on POWER,past governments spent billions of dollars with no significant improvement and you never complained,GEJ in less than 2 years broke this record and at least some people including me can confidently say we are not there yet but its better than where we were before.

But you open your mouth to condemn. May God have mercy on you people so good will not be far from you all.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Saintp(m): 11:43am On Feb 05, 2013
@ Tarqha and sincerenigerian,

While do you always defend the govt with so much vigour? I have not seen any post in which you admitted any wrong doing of the govt or you criticise the govt. Are you telling me that this govt is the best? Are u satisfied with the situation of this country? It is people like you that are causing our problems. If GEJ advisers are like you, we will never make any headway cos the president will always hear wot he wants to hear. I jump your post most times cos i already know wot u will say and when i do manage to read it,its always what you are known for.

Sometimes it pays to tell people you love the truth. Most people criticize the govt cos they want him to make ammend and succeed. They want him to prove them wrong.

4 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Panter215: 11:43am On Feb 05, 2013
This discussion or argument is not the important. If power as improved, why is the presidency budgeting for fuel for running generators. Also why is the value more than last year's value? Abeg make I go buy some for filling station come.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by talktimi(m): 11:44am On Feb 05, 2013
I stay @ akoka, power has improved considerably although not yet 24 non stop but at least my gen dey rest small. I dont know about you guys
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by touchmeder: 11:45am On Feb 05, 2013
Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk cringed as i saw that video. Jona is just a waste

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:46am On Feb 05, 2013
pauloman:

Nobody is trying to criticize his performance but a real,true and compassionate leader will be very objective,sincere with his words and be honest at all times about the situation of things such that he would command respect from his followers . GEJ was trying to embellish his performance in that interview which does not tally well with the real situation on ground.

Brossss,
GEJ was a lot more honest than Christiane, he did admit that the country was not where it should be common!!! If you are calling out GEJ for being insincere then Amanpour is a blatant faced liar, anyone who thinks that what she showed in that small clip represents Nigeria should be bloody stripped of their citizenship!!

6 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by AKONE(m): 11:47am On Feb 05, 2013
See Nigerians exposing the weakness of their Nation to the world. I wonder if Amanpour is the one that will solve the power problem in Nigeria. I have never seen critics like Nigerians, even calling their president "Retarded". Even if the President lied, calling him names is only creating a bad image for us as Nigerians? All Nations have their issues, even America but they keep their issues to themselves. America is Never our standard. Power supply is bad in Nigeria, but it is not what it used to be. Improvement is a process. We only wish it would be faster. GEJ can do better.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ifihearam: 11:47am On Feb 05, 2013
lovejo: In my area in Ibadan, Oluyole extension precisely, we got light of at least 18 to 20hrs daily, anyone living around this area can confirm it, I don't know about those having transformer problem.

God bless you. God bless GEJ

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ifihearam: 11:48am On Feb 05, 2013
Josh090: If they had interviewed people in my area in IB, the response would have been very different. Power in my area is almost 90% constant, I mean, ALWAYS ON.
But, I guess not so many places in Nigeria can say the same thing.

God bless you. God bless GEJ
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Okijajuju1(m): 11:52am On Feb 05, 2013
Panter215: This discussion or argument is not the important. If power as improved, why is the presidency budgeting for fuel for running generators. Also why is the value more than last year's value? Abeg make I go buy some for filling station come.

ENGLISH LANGUAGE 101

TOPIC: Improved

Definition: IMPROVED : to enhance in value or quality : make better

Example. No. 1 The fuel consumption of my car has greatly improved since I changed my injector.. Meaning..Though my car still consumes fuel, its not as bad as it used to be.
Example No. 2 The Light situation in Nigeria has IMPROVED significantly.. MEANING.. Though PHCN power supply is still erratic, its not as bad as it formerly was.

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ABJay1: 11:52am On Feb 05, 2013
GARRI (x7):
Bwahahaha!!!

Yet some eediiots on NL run about from thread to thread like demon-possessed drunkards lying about how they now have light 36 hours every day...

Such ones are evil their lies have a terrible stench which surpasses that of a mixture of decaying corpse and freshly discharged fecal matter. Such ones are collective children of darkness, sons of disobedience, advocates of deceit and self-aggrandisement. For such vessels which are already marked for decimation, the judgement of the lord shall come very swiftly!!

Hon. Garri (x7)

Take it easy bros... grin calm down...don't give yourself high blood pressure . Just say it is well.. grin grin
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ifihearam: 11:53am On Feb 05, 2013
KokoBeware:

Because it doesn't take 2years to generate and transmit enough power for 160million people........ power has improved no doubt and it's improving... GEJ never claimed we had 24hour power supply... He said it has improved and still went ahead to say there is still more to be done... Most people did not watch or read the transcript of the interview.... Just jumped along with the bandwagon claiming he said what not.....

God bless you,nigerians are the most gullible people on earth. Godforbid,saying all sorts of things against your president,its unheard of.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by kutchs: 11:55am On Feb 05, 2013
express101:
Don't be selfish. Maybe ur area has light, but do not speak for the majority of Nigerians who do not have light to carry out business activities, or light in their home. The status quo is not good enough, and shouldn't be acceptable. Nigerians deserve better
In the same vein, I advice u not to be selfish. That ur area doesnt have light doesnt mean other areas dont. I live in a part of Jalingo where power supply has been terrible for years but in the last 4 months or so supply has been fairly regular.
Mind I said ‘fairly‘ bc like the president acknowledged in the interview we‘re not where we‘re supposed to be but to dismiss the gains (no matter how little) that have been recently is being very ungenerous. I have 2 guys who repair generators on my street, just ask them how good or bad business have been and they will confess they are almost being run out of business.We want 24 hrs power supply as obtains in other climes but knowing the decayed infrastructure GEJ inherited expecting that to happen overnight is utterly stupid and unreasonable.
Come to Jalingo and ask the average man on the street about my claims and hear his/her response.

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ifihearam: 11:56am On Feb 05, 2013
Saintp: @ Tarqha and sincerenigerian,

While do you always defend the govt with so much vigour? I have not seen any post in which you admitted any wrong doing of the govt or you criticise the govt. Are you telling me that this govt is the best? Are u satisfied with the situation of this country? It is people like you that are causing our problems. If GEJ advisers are like you, we will never make any headway cos the president will always hear wot he wants to hear. I jump your post most times cos i already know wot u will say and when i do manage to read it,its always what you are known for.

Sometimes it pays to tell people you love the truth. Most people criticize the govt cos they want him to make ammend and succeed. They want him to prove them wrong.

They defend the government because they are not as gullible and stupid as you are joining any available band wagon just to condemn the government.

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by talktimi(m): 11:57am On Feb 05, 2013
By the way, what happened to the independent power project Tinubu payed Enron for before the company went under, or did the money also enter voicemail ? #justasking
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by jmaine: 11:57am On Feb 05, 2013
Resident ediots are equating improved power supply with steady uninterrupted power supply . . . . . . . cheesy. . .

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ypzilanti: 11:57am On Feb 05, 2013
AK-ONE:
See Nigerians exposing the weakness of their Nation to the world. I wonder if Amanpour is the one that will solve the power problem in Nigeria. I have never seen critics like Nigerians, even calling their president "Retarded". Even if the President lied, calling him names is only creating a bad image for us as Nigerians? All Nations have their issues, even America but they keep their issues to themselves. America is Never our standard. Power supply is bad in Nigeria, but it is not what it used to be. Improvement is a process. We only wish it would be faster. GEJ can do better.

I'm not a fan of GEJ, but I really cringed when I went to Amanpour's Facebook page and saw all the insults there. I'd rather abuse our government here on Nairaland jare. No need to give the Neo Colonists the satisfaction of knowing we cannot rule ourselves well (for now).

But GEJ should also stop the international media tour too. Next thing, I will see him on Fareed Zakaria GPS. Those CNN journalists are accomplished people who have seen countries like Malaysia, Singapore and UAE develop into world powers within 15-20 years. You cannot impress them with 500 megawatt increase in two years. That type of 'achievement' is best suited for local politics where we compare GEJ to failures like OBJ and IBB.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nazcoj(m): 12:06pm On Feb 05, 2013
Show of shame
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Ngwakwe: 12:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
Most people should know that we have paid agents in Nairaland from both governing and opposition parties.

Don't be frustrated by their see and talk no evil support for the masters.

Just listen and read the submissions from both parties and apply the function of your brain provided yours is working and not below IQ of 70

This is Politics.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Panter215: 12:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
Okija_juju:

ENGLISH LANGUAGE 101

TOPIC: Improved

Definition: IMPROVED : to enhance in value or quality : make better

Example. No. 1 The fuel consumption of my car has greatly improved since I changed my injector.. Meaning..Though my car still consumes fuel, its not as bad as it used to be.
Example No. 2 The Light situation in Nigeria has IMPROVED significantly.. MEANING.. Though PHCN power supply is still erratic, its not as bad as it formerly was.

Okay you are right, I will work on my english or next time write in a language I have control of but help explain your logic on the fuel budgeted for the presidency and the need for the value to be higher each year.

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by taharqa: 12:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
Saintp: @ Tarqha and sincerenigerian,

You are terribly, terribly terribly WRONG; just cud not overlook dis... I SUPPORT GEJ cos I bliv in his programmes, and frankly also cos of d UNREASONABLE virulent criticism (really, Hostility) of a few of his critics basd entirely on hatred and/or political/ethnic sentiments. I realise though that MOST of d peeps who criticize the govt and GEJ do so cos they really want d best for themselves and Nigeria esp afta bn lied to for a very long time and cos sm of dem rili bliv for good reasons that if they begin to praise GEJ's govt now, he may not perform again- I honestly undastad that and in fact support it. I love d way MOST of us, esp d Youths, are now more ENGAGE- which is what I personali always wantd. However, there are dis tiny set of people whose aim for virulent, completely unhelpful criticism is fuelld primarily by d quest to acquire POWER and a strong sense of HATE towards d PERSON of d President and they wud stop at nothing to get at him including employing PROPAGANDA; if you followd me here on NL, those are d persons I 'detest' and tackle wit little patience and I mk no Apologies about that. I criticize d govt at times, though not as much as I wud like to Or as I hv always done to previous govt, cos of these twigs; I howeva completely support constructive criticisms and d esp new ENGAGEMENT by very many youths these days asking questns, as long as they are done FAIRLY and the ONLY PURPOSE IS THE FURTHER PROGRESS OF THE NATION and not sm narrow selfish interest..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

APC Rejects Benue South Rerun Result, Protest To INEC Office (photos) / Lagos-Abidjan Highway Will Be Built With Concrete – Umahi / Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.