Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,922 members, 7,817,699 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? (17362 Views)

Do You Stand Up as a first timer in a new Church? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Where Do You Stand With Illuminati Theories? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:11am On Feb 19, 2013
all4naija: I think you misunderstood me. First and foremost, I disagree with your comment of God in my previous comment - that is very clear. Trying to point to what you might be thinking to be a God from your assumption I made that comment of thinking Higher intelligent beings can exist due to how the universe and new planets in the so called "Habitable region of the universe" are beginning to emerge. It doesn't mean it is a fact but a theory. I repeat, I believe it can be possible for higher intelligence being(not as in deity as part of organism in the universe) to exist out there. such I think can be possible and there can be lower beings as well that doesn't qualify them for Gods but part of nature.

I think you are missing the whole thing and mixing up it by reading other meanings to my comment as regard infinity taking it as totality of all energies. There is argument of multiverse and it merely assumptions and the theories pertaining to string theories.These are nothing more than how the ancient primitive man create God but not until those are proven then you are just taking the wrong part of assumptions to think it actually a fact.

I repeat, I think higher intelligent beings can exist doesn't mean they exist. I think and they exist are two different things, GUYS!!! I am an Atheist any time any day.
You are merely an atheist by assumption, cos your assertions are filled with "ifs", but I think its a problem of nomenclature here. There are lower intelligence, those are lesser than humans and there are higher intelligence, that's the point I have your partial support, these higher intelligent beings are what religion call Angels, Chi, etc. Its a problem of nomenclature. Where we need to redefine our understand is GOD, what it is, not who He is. I do not belief in a personacy of GOD but I do know that there is order in nature, and that order has executioners and implementers.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:16am On Feb 19, 2013
all4naija: Are you trying to con me? I am intelligent that dude. Am talking out out there you are pointing to earth. If they are intelligent than us does that make them gods? To me no but to you yes. So, you are the one who is supporting avatars and angels. Definitely you are no an Atheist that is why you think so. I think you are a religionist trying to sly me. You are petty to do that.

Not earth. How do you know there are lower intelligent beings out there?
I cant con you, you are smart, you are intelligent. You agreed that there are higher intelligence out there, and I am saying those higher intelligence beings are what religion call angels, spirits, demons etc. So if you believe in anything deity, like spirit etc, then you are theist by definition, except you want to take back your words that you believe in higher intelligence beyond man. Which I believe you wont, so you need to look at the dictionary again for definition of atheism and theism. You are clearly theist.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by chukkynwob(m): 1:18am On Feb 19, 2013
ifeness:

Our scientists and governments are yet to admit to such knowledge . Are you aware that the military are 40 years more advance than the rest of us? That way they are in control of the planet.

It will be dumb of me to assume I know everything.
I am enthused to learn more from you.
Who are you referring to by 'our scientists' and governments?

How are you privy to topclass military information? As an atheist,I am afraid I will have to hold you by ur own standards,where is the evidence?

ifeness:
What we are talking about here is advanced science not yet taught in school. Do you know the atrocities being committed in AREA 54? The scientist are being accused of mixing human DNA with those of dolphins. If they govt admit to aliens out there, they will lose control of the sheep population.
Have you heard of conspiracy theories? Respectfully I think that is what the above statements are riddled with.

Any way How does this not make the multiverse a hypothesis?
ifeness:
The fact is we all learn what they want us to know in our schools,churches etc.

The best way to learn is by one's self

And again how did you establish that FACT?
So then are you advocating that we shouldn't let our kids go to school?

I am finding difficult to follow your argument.

Please do you consider yourself an atheist?
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:19am On Feb 19, 2013
During 2nd world war, the american airforce landed their aircraft on an isolated island inhabited by natives that hadnt been exposed to medern civilization. They worshiped the 3 pilots as gods becos they came from the sky. Why? Becos they claimed their gods do come from the sky with similar vessles. Same applies to ancient men who wrote the bible.

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:19am On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire: You are merely an atheist by assumption, cos your assertions are filled with "ifs", but I think its a problem of nomenclature here. There are lower intelligence, those are lesser than humans and there are higher intelligence, that's the point I have your partial support, these higher intelligent beings are what religion call Angels, Chi, etc. Its a problem of nomenclature. Where we need to redefine our understand is GOD, what it is, not who He is. I do not belief in a personacy of GOD but I do know that there is order in nature, and that order has executioners.
Please! Stop preaching man. Religionists are fond of putting words into people's mouth. That you are trying to do. You keep preaching without any evidence. I think its different from IF. IF and I think, if they are to be used in this case(as to human limit) then it is in theories and theories can be corrected and do away with when they are found to be wanting and not in relation with real life phenomenon. And, such theories are what you are bringing to support your claims and they are nothing different from the primitive man ideologies of religion.

You are picking on the excuse of I think higher intelligence can exist due to human make-up and existence doesn't mean I believe. You don't know what Atheist is all about if you think I am not an Atheist. Atheists are individuals who don't believe in the existence of a God or Gods
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:23am On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire: I cant con you, you are smart, you are intelligent. You agreed that there are higher intelligence out there, and I am saying those higher intelligence beings are what religion call angels, spirits, demons etc. So if you believe in anything deity, like spirit etc, then you are theist by definition, except you want to take back your words that you believe in higher intelligence beyond man. Which I believe you wont, so you need to look at the dictionary again for definition of atheism and theism. You are clearly theist.
Okay! whatever. I know you are being sarcastic about this. Now I get the point! I am almost infuriated by the fact that you keep calling me Theist!

I know you are Atheist by heart just that your are still doing some researches to better understand your stand as in beleif.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:23am On Feb 19, 2013
ifeness: During 2nd world war, the american airforce landed their aircraft on an isolated island inhabited by natives that hadnt been exposed to medern civilization. They worshiped the 3 pilots as gods becos they came from the sky. Why? Becos they claimed their gods do come from the sky with similar vessles. Same applies to ancient men who wrote the bible.
You picture and the second world war story made me laugh out this nite, thats f/u/ck/ing funny, but come to think of it, Does the 3 pilots have gods they also worship ? ...Then there is a clear chain of command in nature...lol
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 19, 2013
all4naija: Okay! whatever. I know you are being sarcastic about this. Now I get the point! I am almost infuriated by the fact that you keep calling me Theist!

I know you are Atheist by heart just that your are still doing some researches to better understand your stand as in beleif.
You are right, I was being sarcastic, I was sarcastic cos you kept amplifying that you are Atheist, yet you believe in higher intelligent beings. I simply emphasized that those higher intelligence beings are what religion calls Spirit, demons, ghost, etc. So therefore you believe in them, meaning you are not an atheist, you are theist. Do not be offended cos I simply think you dont know what atheism really mean.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:29am On Feb 19, 2013
chukkynwob:

It will be dumb of me to assume I know everything.
I am enthused to learn more from you.
Who are you referring to by 'our scientists' and governments?

How are you privy to topclass military information? As an atheist,I am afraid I will have to hold you by ur own standards,where is the evidence?

Have you heard of conspiracy theories? Respectfully I think that is what the above statements are riddled with.

Any way How does this not make the multiverse a hypothesis?

And again how did you establish that FACT?
So then are you advocating that we shouldn't let our kids go to school?

I am finding difficult to follow your argument.

Please do you consider yourself an atheist?

I am not saying i am certain,however if discovered archeological findings,pyramids and ancient scrolls are anything to go by, that would be a probable explanation.

I am not saying kids shouldn't go to school . I remember my days at school we were being taught that we had 7 planets. Several planets have been discovered after that. Which means we are extremely short on information.

Science is getting better and moving forward. It is vital kids learn because they will carry the scientific badge in future.

When i say government, i meant the US and Europe not Nigeria.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:30am On Feb 19, 2013
all4naija: Please! Stop preaching man. Religionists are fond of putting words into people's mouth. That you are trying to do. You keep preaching without any evidence. I think its different from IF. IF and I think, if they are to be used in this case(as to human limit) then it is in theories and theories can be corrected and do away with when they are found to be wanting and not in relation with real life phenomenon. And, such theories are what you are bringing to support your claims and they are nothing different from the primitive man ideologies of religion.

You are picking on the excuse of I think higher intelligence can exist due to human make-up and existence doesn't mean I believe. You don't know what Atheist is all about if you think I am not an Atheist. Atheists are individuals who don't believe in the existence of a God or Gods

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[4][5][6][7] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[8][9] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[9][10]

The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshipped by the larger society. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to identify themselves using the word "atheist" lived in the 18th century.[11]

Arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to social and historical approaches. Rationales for not believing in any supernatural deity include the lack of empirical evidence,[12][13] the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief.[12][14] Although some atheists have adopted secular philosophies,[15][16] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.[
SOURCE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:31am On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire: You are right, I was being sarcastic, I was sarcastic cos you kept amplifying that you are Atheist, yet you believe in higher intelligent beings. I simply emphasized that those higher intelligence beings are what religion calls Spirit, demons, ghost, etc. So therefore you believe in them, meaning you are not an atheist, you are theist. Do not be offended cos I simply think you dont know what atheism really mean.
I never said I BELIEVE in higher beings. I think is different from I believe. Please, you misunderstood me there.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:32am On Feb 19, 2013
Where are the christians who started this thread?
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:34am On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire:

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[4][5][6][7] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[8][9] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[9][10]

The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshipped by the larger society. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to identify themselves using the word "atheist" lived in the 18th century.[11]

Arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to social and historical approaches. Rationales for not believing in any supernatural deity include the lack of empirical evidence,[12][13] the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief.[12][14] Although some atheists have adopted secular philosophies,[15][16] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.[
SOURCE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
You are the one confusing yourself here. Deity and god are interchangeable the same thing. Higher intelligent beings in my statement never qualified for deities or gods in any of my comments. I would be very glad if you can point to any part where I stated that I believe in deity or a god.

I think you are Atheist at heart too.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:35am On Feb 19, 2013
all4naija: I never said I BELIEVE in higher beings. I think is different from I believe. Please, you misunderstood me there.

I must say higher intelligence exist out there in the universe(which I think can be possible due to evidence of human make-up and existence)then, they are equally parts of nature and are nothing spiritual as people are trying to put the idea into us believing they are our creators.

But above is your statement on page 4 of this thread, are you now denying your acceptances and belief just because its cool to be atheist ? I simply was taking you by your words, not knowing you may wanna take back your words.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:38am On Feb 19, 2013
all4naija: You are the one confusing yourself here. Deity and god are interchangeable the same thing. Higher intelligent beings in my state never qualified for deities or gods in any of my comments. I would be very glad if you can point to any part where I stated that I believe in deity or a god.

I think you are Atheist at heart too.
deity and Deity are different words sir, Deity in all dictionaries represent God, deities represent angels, spirits, gods etc. I am sure many people will agree with me. Please lets simply be true. I quoted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism so those guys are pretty smart guys too.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:39am On Feb 19, 2013
What if white people claimed hey were gods like yahweh did, Another religion?

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by chukkynwob(m): 1:39am On Feb 19, 2013
ifeness: During 2nd world war, the american airforce landed their aircraft on an isolated island inhabited by natives that hadnt been exposed to medern civilization. They worshiped the 3 pilots as gods becos they came from the sky. Why? Becos they claimed their gods do come from the sky with similar vessles. Same applies to ancient men who wrote the bible.

I must disagree with you that this analogy is fallacious and does nto surfice on the following point,
You have assumed that the ancient men who wrote the bible saw ariel vehicles and worshipped the pilots.
And clearly that was not what was recorded historically of the men that wrote the bible.

I implore you to be more lucid in your points and analogies.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:40am On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire:

But above is your statement on page 4 of this thread, are you now denying your acceptances and belief just because its cool to be atheist ?
The obvious reason you never read it with open mind and left out the statement in parenthesis,(which I think can be possible due to evidence of human make-up and existence). I MUST SAY, in the sense I admit(something done with reluctance) it can be possible. Your understanding of English language is disturbing to me.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:41am On Feb 19, 2013
ifeness: What if white people claimed hey were gods like yahweh did, Another religion?
They wont be wrong if they say so, and it wont be new religion. "Ye are gods, and children of Most High God is popular scripture"...lol. that will be Christianity.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:43am On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire: deity and Deity are different words sir, Deity in all dictionaries represent God, deities represent angels, spirits, gods etc. I am sure many people will agree with me. Please lets simply be true. I quoted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism so those guys are pretty smart guys too.
Hahaha... I am catching my fun. I can chat all day. As you like to play on my intelligence. That was a good one,sir. Next?
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:43am On Feb 19, 2013
chukkynwob:

I must disagree with you that this analogy is fallacious and does nto surfice on the following point,
You have assumed that the ancient men who wrote the bible saw ariel vehicles and worshipped the pilots.
And clearly that was not what was recorded historically of the men that wrote the bible.

I implore you to be more lucid in your points and analogies.

You must have read the book of Ezikiel in the bible, Mohamed quo-ran, Moses talking to a burning bush( hologram?) Don't they look suspicious?
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:45am On Feb 19, 2013
all4naija: The obvious reason you never read it with open mind and left out the statement in parenthesis,(which I think can be possible due to evidence of human make-up and existence). I MUST SAY, in the sense I admit(something done with reluctance) it can be possible. Your understanding of English language is disturbing to me.
No sir, I am pretty much good in English and Comprehension. I pasted a quote from you which indicates positively your admittance to believing in Higher Intelligence, and I said, those higher intelligence beings are what religion calls Angels, demons, and spirits, and that it is just a conflict of nomenclature. I see no reason you should not simply come out open and say you dont believe in higher inteliigence anymore (30 minutes after admitting to believing), it will be better to do that than tagging me incorrigible. Please lets stay civil.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:47am On Feb 19, 2013
all4naija: Hahaha... I am catching my fun. I can chat all day. As you like to play on my intelligence. That was a good one,sir. Next?
I am high on medijuana bro, I can stay all nite.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:50am On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire: I am high on medijuana bro, I can stay all nite.
What is medijuana?
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:53am On Feb 19, 2013
all4naija: What is medijuana?
Was a joke, anyway Medijuana is Medical Marijuana
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:53am On Feb 19, 2013
When Yahweh was gonna land on mount sinai , he asked for a lot of space. The people tremble,very scared of the sound it made,clouds were all over the place.( spacecraft?)

The children of israel were scared and begged moses never to invite him again. Is this the same god christian want to spent eternity with?

When moses went up the mountain ( into the spacecraft). His eyes was like the sun and his face aged ( radiation?). Being exposed to radiation kills a lot of cells in the body.

When moses died....what happened? Bible claimed an angel wrestled with satan for his body( obviously these beings were physical to be able to carry a human body)
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:55am On Feb 19, 2013
ifeness:
When Yahweh was gonna land on mount sinai , he asked for a lot of space. The people tremble,very scared of the sound it made,clouds were all over the place.( spacecraft?)

The children of israel were scared and begged moses never to invite him again. Is this the same god christian want to spent eternity with?

When moses went up the mountain ( into the spacecraft). His eyes was like the sun and his face aged ( radiation?). Being exposed to radiation kills a lot of cells in the body.

When moses died....what happened? Bible claimed an angel wrestled with satan for his body( obviously these beings were physical to be able to carry a human body)
I am not Christian but I strongly advise that you dont mock any religion. Religion has done so much for humanity and deserves our respect.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:59am On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire: No sir, I am pretty much good in English and Comprehension. I pasted a quote from you which indicates positively your admittance to believing in Higher Intelligence, and I said, those higher intelligence beings are what religion calls Angels, demons, and spirits, and that it is just a conflict of nomenclature. I see no reason you should not simply come out open and say you dont believe in higher inteliigence anymore (30 minutes after admitting to believing), it will be better to do that than tagging me incorrigible. Please lets stay civil.
Okay. If you admit to have twisted it to the fact your belief states they are Gods then it is Okay by me but not for me as regarding the nomenclature idea. So, the reason for that is because you believe in them while I THINK they can exist as part of organisms in nature (not as Gods) is totally a different thing. The most surprising thing to me is that you are forcing me to believe what you say gods are by using my statement as ventriloquist to manipulating the whole situation making me to look like an instigator of the very idea of nomenclature as to the belief part you assumed all by yourself.

So, your point is not binding only to abet me of your belief. Which I am not and not going to do.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:00am On Feb 19, 2013
Yes thousands of innocent women labelled as witches burnt alive at the stakes

Slavery backed up with the bible
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:02am On Feb 19, 2013
African Christians and Muslims are silly people... send Allah back to Saudi Arabia where he belongs and send Jesus back to the middle east....
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by chukkynwob(m): 2:02am On Feb 19, 2013
ifeness:

I am not saying i am certain,however if discovered archeological findings,pyramids and ancient scrolls are anything to go by, that would be a probable explanation.

Please to which of my questions is this answer applicable to?

ifeness:
I am not saying kids shouldn't go to school . I remember my days at school we were being taught that we had 7 planets. Several planets have been discovered after that. Which means we are extremely short on information.

Please what did you then mean by these statments and I quote,"The fact is we all learn what they want us to know in
our schools,churches etc.
The best way to learn is by one's self"

ifeness:
Science is getting better and moving forward. It is vital kids learn because they will carry the scientific badge in future.

I agree with you that science is improving on a daily basis.
Again how does this substantiate any of the theories you put forward,secret labs,alien sightings etc?

ifeness:
When i say government, i meant the US and Europe not Nigeria.

Are you assuming that it is only the US and Europe that conduct research?

And how are also sure that if America and European governments and millitary conduct research that the Nigerian goverment has no such research facilities?

Anyway disregard the other questions on 'our government and scientist' tangent, I just wanted to point out some false premises that arrived at there.
you asnwered my question on the 'our scientists and governments' you were referring to comment.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:05am On Feb 19, 2013
all4naija: Okay. If you admit to have twisted it to the fact your belief states they are Gods then it is Okay by me but not for me as regarding the nomenclature idea. So, the reason for that is because you believe in them while I THINK they can exist as part of organisms in nature (not as Gods) is totally a different thing. The most surprising thing to me is that you are forcing me to believe what you say gods are by using my statement as ventriloquist to manipulating the whole situation making me to look like an instigator of the very idea of nomenclature as to the belief part.

So, your point is not binding only to abet me of your belief. Which I am not and not going to do.
You are good with English, I am a great fan here, but I will like to keep it simple: Do you still believe in Higher Intelligence again (cos you believed and accepted 1hr ago), if Yes, then those higher intelligence are what Religion call Angels, Demons, spirits etc. So therefore, you are not atheist. That is my simple conclusion. I am not saying that you should worship them, atheism is a belief system and not a worship factor. I did paste definition of atheism as defined by wiki. You really need to not fight your belief system simply because its the 'new cool' to be atheist.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

2017 Prophecies By Prophet Jeremiah Omoto-fufeyin (owomomo 1) / END Of SEARCH - Matrix Decoded / Why Are Those Great Biblical Miracles Not Happening These Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.