Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,638 members, 7,820,236 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely (13428 Views)

Rivers Governorship Rerun: A Golden Opportunity To Shut The Mouth Of APC / Crisis: Lagos Threatens To Shut Ladipo Market. / Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by gidiMonsta(m): 1:08pm On Feb 20, 2013
Nightshift: After Alaba, Ladipo is the second most important market for Igbo traders in Lagos. Personally, it smells like ethnic cleansing in the making. In a very filthy city like Lagos, one wonders why Ladipo is being made a scapegoat in this particular situation.

Why are most Ibos fond of viewing issues with a prejudiced lens? Do you how many times the markets in Mile12 and Owode have been shut down for various offences? Mile12 wasn't reopened until the traders met the conditions set by Government. It's people like you that'll keep opening threads about how Lagos is a filthiest city in the world then turn around to scream blue murder when steps are taken. There's nothing tribalistic about this move from the LASG, it's more like a public warning to the traders to sit up and tidy that place up before the 'Demolition Man' comes knocking.

7 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by ba7man(m): 1:08pm On Feb 20, 2013
Nightshift: After Alaba, Ladipo is the second most important market for Igbo traders in Lagos. Personally, it smells like ethnic cleansing in the making. In a very filthy city like Lagos, one wonders why Ladipo is being made a scapegoat in this particular situation.
Lagos now has an effective waste disposal system that has being in operation for roughly 5years. I can assure you its now far cleaner than your state. Its locations like Ladipo and Alaba that still gives people the impression that its still dirty.

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by HighChief4(m): 1:08pm On Feb 20, 2013
I am disappointed with Fashola, how could he even think of closing the market because it is dirty. A reasonable government should employ some CLEANING COMPANIES that will be cleaning up the area and have those people at the market to pay. This will not only keep the market clean, but will also create employment for people. That is a very daft decision and should not be applauded. Nigerian leaders always looking for easy ways

6 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by aryzgreat: 1:11pm On Feb 20, 2013
The report said, the market will be closed if the traders fail to comply with sanitation, i support the govt on this and when that is done, provide them another space on d outskirt bc the nature of their business entails greasy environment. I hope the local govt also close mushin market wia fish and meat sellers take part of the road.

Oga Afam, thanks for the early sanitisation, NL need to be sanitized like ladipo too cheesy
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by RedLight1: 1:12pm On Feb 20, 2013
Afam4eva: @topic
I don't know any market in Lagos that is not dirty. If Ladipo can be closed then 90% of markets in Lagos deserve to be shut down #justsaying
have u being to ladipo lately? ladipo market is one of the dirtiest for now... They have to start from the top to the bottom... Just like the old oshodi... I dnt support the shuttin though... Buh that market is sumtin else
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by gidiMonsta(m): 1:12pm On Feb 20, 2013
I don't know any market in Lagos that is not dirty. If Ladipo can be closed then 90% of markets in Lagos deserve to be shut down #justsaying

Is Ladipo the first market that'll be closed? Mile12, Owode, Ojuwoye, Tejuosho have all been axed by the LASG at one point or the other, why is it now that its Ladipo's turn that you people are screaming tribalism? STOP PLAYING THE VICTIMS CARD, ITS GETTING OLD! #JustSaying

6 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Afam4eva(m): 1:13pm On Feb 20, 2013
gidiMonsta:

Is Ladipo the first market that'll be closed? Mile12, Owode, Ojuwoye, Tejuosho have all been axed by the LASG at one point or the other, why is it now that its Ladipo's turn that you people are screaming tribalism? STOP PLAYING THE VICTIMS CARD, ITS GETTING OLD! #JustSaying
Pls quote where you saw me screaming tribalism in my post...are you mistaking me for somemone else?
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by ochukoccna: 1:15pm On Feb 20, 2013
Stop reading tribal motives into everything
Even Myles Monroe noted Lagos has changed in the last 5 years
While I do know Fashola can be overbearing with his approach at times,Lagos is gradually becoming saner
Ladipo market has been shut down for more than 2-3 times over this same issue
Is it that the market excos,with all the money Ladipo makes, cannot hire environmentalists to help meet &overcome whatever guidelines and benchmarks set by the state government?
Will the government not lose revenue from levies etc if the market is shut?
When Orji of Abia sacked non indigenes from the Abia civil service sometime back it wasn't ethnic cleansing
When Fashola banned okadas ,despite other states doing it before,it was cleansing
I never knew the land upon which Ladipo market was built was imported from Igbo land thus its ONLY Ibo's that will be affected
If you have erec_tile problems,use ginseng and stop blaming Fashola on why you cant get it hard to stick it into madam at night.

12 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by BTT(m): 1:15pm On Feb 20, 2013
It is good every once in a while that our govts remind us that they have the monopoly of authority.

Considering the number of youths that that market is engaging- and of course plus the criminal-minded ones, it is however sad that the govt, which has severally failed to provide employment of any sort for the teaming population, would be threatening a total shut-down.

The govt should rather use this strength to enforce sanitation.

Pls Mr. Commissioner, beheading the patient is never the cure for headache!

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by talktimi(m): 1:17pm On Feb 20, 2013
the traders should keep the market clean so that the people who hate them will have where to buy cheap car parts.
Besides the traders pay environmental sanitation levies, after cleaning the market on designated days/everyday, the sanitation officials should do their duties and pack the garbage away before it inevitably falls into the drainages again. The blame goes both ways shikena

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by miqos02(m): 1:20pm On Feb 20, 2013
the local government chairman should be sacked
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by omar22(m): 1:22pm On Feb 20, 2013
Health and Safety......... very important... I support the shut down, I could remember in the 80s at Idumota when a bus that had a break failure ploughed into a large crowd mostly those who were trading on the bridge. But the roughs turn on the buses and started burning them.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by nlofficial(m): 1:24pm On Feb 20, 2013
Batam: If government don't want them in that area they should provide an alternative place or they should properly monitor the cleanliness of the environment. If there are illegal structure that degrade the environment they should ASAP without prejudice.

Have you been to that market before? Please when you're going there, I'll advise you not to have/wear anything white. Wear black all through and go to the market yourself.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by nlofficial(m): 1:26pm On Feb 20, 2013
[size=15pt]Shame on all of you that bring tribalism to every thread. We all know that the spare parts are usually brought used. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Nightshift(m): 1:26pm On Feb 20, 2013
ba7man: Lagos now has an effective waste disposal system that has being in operation for roughly 5years. I can assure you its now far cleaner than your state. Its locations like Ladipo and Alaba that still gives people the impression that its still dirty.
Lagos is filthy as the word is. If that is how clean a City with annual GDP of about $50 billion can be, i'm sorry i cannot buy that. So what's producing the perhaps over 20 billion mosquitoes in that city?
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by omiobo: 1:32pm On Feb 20, 2013
All we need is sanity. I don't care it's going take force to restore sanity to Lagos.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by ba7man(m): 1:34pm On Feb 20, 2013
Nightshift: Lagos is filthy as the word is. If that is how clean a City with annual GDP of about $50 billion can be, i'm sorry i cannot buy that. So what's producing the perhaps over 20 billion mosquitoes in that city?
You don't stay in Lagos. I'm sure of that.
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by 9jaIhail(m): 1:37pm On Feb 20, 2013
Billyonaire: Its a welcomed development, cos I went to that market once some years ago and it was terrible. Those traders are careless about their environment.

Yes we all need our environments to be clean of course, but shutting down the market is it the right step to take?

What directive or what steps has the Govt taken to restrict the traders from polluting the environment and traders failed to abide by it before the move to shut down the market.

That you are luckily employed and working in one office shouldn't be a reason for you to talk carelessly as if you don't know how difficult it is to start up business and grow up the business in Nigeria.

Have you asked yourself what will be the condition of these people should Govt drive them away from their places of trading; Do you have feelings at all? Do you know what it takes for one to start from nothing to something and one day one stupiid elected and over feed Government come up with idea to sack them from where they are making their living without providing them alternative. Truly Nigerians are the problem of the country not really the Govt.

Please don't find my posts offensive because i was once into trading in Nigeria, no matter how God have helped me i still don't forget the feelings how i started the race from nobody to somebody, at times you are falling down and calling but nobody seem to hear you calling. Bro anyone who was once a student of this university will always feel the way i felt while reading this junk news.

3 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by FASTLINK1: 1:40pm On Feb 20, 2013
whose duty is it to clean the market? if it is the responsibility of the traders, so be it but if Government, what does government do with the taxes they collect from the traders? I still believe there's still another way to go about this without inflicting pains on the masses.
cheers!

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by sgsltd(m): 1:42pm On Feb 20, 2013
picture
Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by seunajia: 1:43pm On Feb 20, 2013

What da?! This guy is a bigot! angry

Afam, as a moderator, you should be of those telling it as it is instead this subtle pseudointelligent allusion to bigotry you penned up there.

I ask you: Is Ladipo going to be the first market to be shut down due to bad sanitation this year?

Was there not a thread on here about Mile 12 and Ketu markets being shut for the same issue, last week?

www.nairaland.com/1171931/lagos-shut-mile-12-ketu

If it didn't get published in the media, Ajah market was shutdown and just got reopened this week because of the same issue.

Afam be a good ambassador of Seun and stop spreading discontent!

7 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Afam4eva(m): 1:46pm On Feb 20, 2013
I find it laughable when the lagos state government closes down markets the way it does. Ladipo market or any other market for that matter are in lagos state and it's the responsibility of the government to make sure these markets are cleaned whether directly or indirectly. They shouldn't go about closing markets just like that. mI don't expect them to close than Allen Avenue or broad street if they are dirty. They should do to the markets in lagos what they do to other parts of Lagos. Kpatakpata, these traders should be made to pay a tax for the cleaning of these markets or it should be added to the tax that they already paay to the government.

2 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Afam4eva(m): 1:48pm On Feb 20, 2013
seunajia:

What da?! This guy is bigot! angry

Afam, as a moderator, you should be of those telling it as it is instead this subtle pseudointelligent allusion to bigotry you penned up there.

I ask you: Is Ladipo going to be the first market to be shut down due to bad sanitation this year?

Was there not a thread on here about Mile 12 and Ketu markets being shut for the same issue, last week?

www.nairaland.com/1171931/lagos-shut-mile-12-ketu

If it didn't get published in the media, Ajah market was just reopened this week.

Afam be a good ambassador of Seun and stop spreading discontent!
Mr man, i'm not an ambassador of anybody but myself. Whatever i say here is my opinion and not those of seun. Did you see See Seun written as my moniker? Afam bu Afam.

5 Likes

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by Nobody: 1:51pm On Feb 20, 2013
ochukoccna:
Stop reading tribal motives into everything
Even Myles Monroe noted Lagos has changed in the last 5 years
While I do know Fashola can be overbearing with his approach at times,Lagos is gradually becoming saner
Ladipo market has been shut down for more than 2-3 times over this same issue
Is it that the market excos,with all the money Ladipo makes, cannot hire environmentalists to help meet &overcome whatever guidelines and benchmarks set by the state government?
Will the government not lose revenue from levies etc if the market is shut?
When Orji of Abia sacked non indigenes from the Abia civil service sometime back it wasn't ethnic cleansing
When Fashola banned okadas ,despite other states doing it before,it was cleansing
I never knew the land upon which Ladipo market was built was imported from Igbo land thus its ONLY Ibo's that will be affected
If you have erec_tile problems,use ginseng and stop blaming Fashola on why you cant get it hard to stick it into madam at night.

LMAO @ bold part.. grin grin

@Post.

The action is coming rather too late in my opinion. That market is a den of many criminal activities in the name of hustling.

Ketu fruit market that serves the whole of Lagos fruit needs was shut down for close to two months...nobody come here to shout ethnic targeting/cleansing or whatever...but these Eastern folks must whine at every little thing that they perceived is targeted at them as if igbos make up the market 100%.

1 Like

Re: Filth: Lagos To Shut Ladipo Market Indefinitely by creativemusic: 1:52pm On Feb 20, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Pilgrims Riot In Saudi Arabia / See Crazy Exercises And Routines Given To New Recruits In The Army (PHOTOS) / Enugu State Police Warns IPOB, BIM, Says It'll Resist Sit-at-home On Biafra Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.