Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... (25986 Views)

Anxiety, Tears, As Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market / Crisis: Lagos Threatens To Shut Ladipo Market. / Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by SlamDunk(m): 4:40pm On Feb 26, 2013
FreeGlobe: Fashola has long abandoned governance to chase insects. Must you close down the market before starting renovation or enforcing Sanitation laws?
u expect him to start renovation wen d market is busy
Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by babapupa: 5:05pm On Feb 26, 2013
While this was going on yesterday at Ladipo market, ibo leaders were hanging out with the Governor of Lagos State....

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola SAN (middle) in a group photograph with the President General and Leader of the Igbo Council in Lagos State, Professor Anya O Anya (6th right) and members of the Igbo Council shortly after a meeting to present the new Council Members to the Governor at the Lagos House, Ikeja, on Monday, February 25, 2013. — at Lagos House, Ikeja. Lagos. 25th February, 2013.

Eko o ni baje o...
Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by Jaideyone(m): 5:13pm On Feb 26, 2013
babapupa: While this was going on yesterday at Ladipo market, ibo leaders were hanging out with the Governor of Lagos State....

Eko o ni baje o...
thank you very much!!! ketu market was closed for the same reason ladipo was shut down. There are hundreds of yoruba pepper sellers in ketu market. the enlightened igbos would never look at the ladipo issue from a tribal point of view but the dumb igbos play victims at every given opportunity. Anyone that is not satisfied with the way fashola is running Lagos is free to leave.
Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by manny4life(m): 5:15pm On Feb 26, 2013
Jaidey-one:
thank you very much!!! ketu market was closed for the same reason ladipo was shut down. There are hundreds of yoruba pepper sellers in ketu market. These people like playing victims at every given opportunity. Anyone that is not satisfied with the way fashola is running Lagos is free to leave

No need to have HBP, when people don't find alternative, they do what? LEAVE.

Either way, Igbos leaving is good for Lagos, me sef I wan them to go, paying N100,000 for registration is too much, rather than pay it to Lagos, pay it to the SE.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by babapupa: 5:19pm On Feb 26, 2013
Jaidey-one:
thank you very much!!! ketu market was closed for the same reason ladipo was shut down. There are hundreds of yoruba pepper sellers in ketu market. the enlightened igbos would never look at the ladipo issue from a tribal point of view but the dumb igbos play victims at every given opportunity. Anyone that is not satisfied with the way fashola is running Lagos is free to leave.

Chairman, Mushin Local Government, Olatunde Adepitan described the closure of the market as a welcome development and long overdue, saying this is the only way forward for the Local Government.

“The hooliganism here has gone out of control. These people have turned themselves to another government. When you interfere in their matters here, they will tribalise the issue and that is why as a government we take things easy so that it will not escalate into a tribal issue..

http://www.thebeat99.com/news/lagos-shuts-ladipo-market-seizes-charms-and-dangerous-weapons-25-02-13

Just like we see on NL everyday, everything is tribal to them..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by Jaideyone(m): 5:19pm On Feb 26, 2013
manny4life:

No need to have HBP, when people don't find alternative, they do what? LEAVE.

Either way, Igbos leaving is good for Lagos, me sef I wan them to go, paying N100,000 for registration is too much, rather than pay it to Lagos, pay it to the SE.
shikena!!! igbos shouldn't turn to orisa akunlebo (untouchable diety) in Lagos. The critical decisions taken by fashola in the last few years affected yorubas and igbos alike. if igbos abide by the rules and ladipo is cleaned up i'm sure it will be reopened in no time.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 26, 2013
Jaidey-one:
airhead you're the confused one here. This is a forum. you don't have to direct your questions at anyone in particular before you get your answers. You asked if the bakassi boys were "causing a nuisance" and i gave an account of what i saw. You were not there. You stupidly concluded i saw Lagos agberos and called me "mumu".
ok! you saw Bakassi boys causing nuisance in lagos.congratulations!can you please free me now? angry
Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by naptu2: 5:27pm On Feb 26, 2013
[size=14pt]Lagos govt shuts down Ladipo market over sanitation offence[/size]

February 25, 2013 | 10:19 pm

By OLASUNKANMI AKONI, BOSE ADELAJA, MONSUR OLOWOOPEJO & DONALD ARJI

…Arrests 10 armed bandits, recovers dangerous weapons

LAGOS—LAGOS State Government Monday made good its threat to shut down the popular auto spare parts market, Ladipo in Mushin area of the state for allegedly contravening the State Sanitation law, paralysing business activities of traders among other users of the market.

Arrest and recovery of weapons

During the exercise the taskforce claimed 10 suspected armed bandits were arrested from a section of the  market. The taskforce said they included five hoodlums who initially prevented the taskforce from carrying out the operation.

However, Vanguard gathered that those arrested were members of the proscribed “Bakassi Boys”  put in place by the union to provide security and check other criminal activities in the market.

One of the suspects, Samson Apeh said: “We are not  criminals. We are security guards employed by the President of the market union. All we do here is to protect the goods of the traders. The machetes and other arms found with us are security equipment used for protecting the stalls from thieves who always attack the market at the close of the day.”

Commissioner’s visit, warning

Before the closure, Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello, had visited the market and decried the wanton degradation of the environment including filthiness of the area, warning that if nothing was done, the market would be shut.

However, the traders were said to have taken government’s threat lightly and did nothing to remedy the situation until officials of the Lagos State Taskforce on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit stormed the market to shut it.

Before the closure, it was gathered that trading activities usually took place on the streets without regard to the law against such activities.

Also, shops, attachments, were built around the market/canals while abandoned vehicles parked within the market, indiscriminately.

Task force

Vanguard gathered that as early as 4a.m., hundreds of  armed taskforce officials led by its Chairman, Chief Superintendent of Police, Bayo Suleiman, stormed the market and shut it down having dispersed the traders.

An Armoured Personnel Carrier, APC, was stationed at the Toyota end of the Apapa-Oshodi expressway, while the area was barricaded, although some of the traders claimed they were caught unawares.

Issues wrong with the market

Taskforce Chairman, Suleiman, claimed that there were several issues wrong in the market, ranging from hooliganism, lack of toilet facilities, degradation of the environment with diesel among others.

He said: “The state government had issued several warnings to the traders without result and their action had posed serious threat to the environment. The Commissioner for the Environment has visited this place and advised the traders  accordingly, but nothing was done. We came here two weeks ago, but the officials of the market did not show up. There was serious trading going on in the streets and there were lots of shanties here. We shall make sure that this time around, proper sanitation is done by the traders before the market will be re-opened and they have to submit to the chairman of Mushin Local Government.”

On when the market will be re-opened, Suleiman said: ’’I have no authority to disclose when it will be re-opened but I am sure the traders know what is expected of them.’’

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/lagos-govt-shuts-down-ladipo-market-over-sanitation-offence/
Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by manny4life(m): 5:30pm On Feb 26, 2013
Jaidey-one:

shikena!!! igbos shouldn't turn to orisa akunlebo (untouchable diety) in Lagos. The critical decisions taken by fashola in the last few years affected yorubas and igbos alike. if igbos abide by the rules and ladipo is cleaned up i'm sure it will be reopened in no time.

Is it fight? I said they will soon return back, in fact let it NEVER reopen again, any Igbo trader who get sense will do what's appropriate to them.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by 2mch(m): 5:46pm On Feb 26, 2013
Bakassi boys in Lagos. Doing what? When ibos can't even live in the east. No wonder the incidence of kidnapping has increased in Lagos. They should be jailed and sent back to the east. Let them go and defend the east. Ladipo should be shut down indefinitely. Fashola should get serious about this kidnapping menace and lagos needs to pass a death penalty law for kidnappers. Any kidnapper caught should be killed.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by GARRIx7(m): 5:49pm On Feb 26, 2013
babapupa: While this was going on yesterday at Ladipo market, ibo leaders were hanging out with the Governor of Lagos State....

Eko o ni baje o...

Nice one!!

I guess our recalcitrant cry-babies have a clearer picture of the whole situation...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by dayokanu(m): 6:39pm On Feb 26, 2013
Well done fashola
Re: Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... by Policewoman(f): 6:55pm On Feb 26, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Where you go hide since. Biko arrest me. cool
I dey o, my brother. Busy catching the bad guys smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Water Scarcity Hits Jonathan’s Otuoke / Anti-saraki Senators Back Down, Rally Round Embattled Senate President / Buhari A Joke, Unfit To Be Administrator Of Whatsapp Group- Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.