Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency (22479 Views)

The Newly-coined Full Meaning Of B-U-H-A-R-I / Who Coined The Word '9ja' and 'Naija'? / What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by bilms(m): 3:19pm On Feb 28, 2013
THE question from the book, NIGERIA: Tourism is Life, as published by the Nigeria Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC) under Chief Olusegun Runsewe and put together by Dayo Adedayo boldly asked the question, did you know that, Chief Obafemi Awolowo coined the name “Naira” as Nigeria’s currency (formerly known as the Nigerian Pound)?

Truly, I might have been born before the conversion and was in the primary school as at then. I, like many others did not know that our currency (Naira) was the brain child of the sage when he was serving as the Federal Commissioner of Finance. Yes, we were taught who gave Nigeria the name, the flag and other pieces of vital information, but this book enriched my knowledge much more.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/tourism/item/6137-did-you-know-that-awo-coined-the-name-naira-tourism-is-life-reveals

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by saintneo(m): 3:28pm On Feb 28, 2013
Won't believe it until Gowon confirms.
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Tolexander: 3:42pm On Feb 28, 2013
that is something i wouldn't doubt cos he seems to be the greatest man that masterminded every good thing and victory during those times.

47 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by bilms(m): 8:31am On Mar 01, 2013
Hum
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by saintohia: 9:04am On Mar 01, 2013
If he did, what's the correct meaning?

The acronym "Naira" means what?

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 9:44am On Mar 01, 2013
I just learnt something important.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by aieromon(m): 11:15am On Mar 01, 2013
Any contrary opinions?
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by boolet: 11:16am On Mar 01, 2013
Thanks
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by TableLeg(m): 11:18am On Mar 01, 2013
Ok. Thanks for the information!
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by dridowu: 11:19am On Mar 01, 2013
Awolowooooooo
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 01, 2013
Baddooo_him get sense sef wen he go name an naira?
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by ckkris: 11:19am On Mar 01, 2013
aieromon: Any contrary opinions?

NOT NECESSARY

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 11:21am On Mar 01, 2013
Ok. But it doesn't make any difference now. Nigeria currency value situation is still bad. So next pls

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 11:21am On Mar 01, 2013
If only Seun paid me a Naira for every hidden post...

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by toluleke(m): 11:21am On Mar 01, 2013
Naira or raian anytin u na like told.who cares??
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by ckkris: 11:23am On Mar 01, 2013
Why so many hidden posts?
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by speeder(m): 11:24am On Mar 01, 2013
Whats so special about the minister of finance of a country without a currency suggesting the name of a currency to be use? Owk, were they waiting for Ojukwu, a militarian to give the name?

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 11:24am On Mar 01, 2013
i heard from a reliable anecdotal source that the secret meaning of the naira is -:

N - Never
A - Allow
I - Igbos
R - Rule
A - Again

20 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by speeder(m): 11:26am On Mar 01, 2013
He gave the name without pointing out meaning attached to it. Dollars have history, so do pounds. A man just woke up, coined just any word cause it rhymes with Nigeria and just pronounce it as her currency.

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by ikweremilitant: 11:28am On Mar 01, 2013
bilms: THE question from the book, NIGERIA: Tourism is Life, as published by the Nigeria Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC) under Chief Olusegun Runsewe and put together by Dayo Adedayo boldly asked the question, did you know that, Chief Obafemi Awolowo coined the name “Naira” as Nigeria’s currency (formerly known as the Nigerian Pound)?

Truly, I might have been born before the conversion and was in the primary school as at then. I, like many others did not know that our currency (Naira) was the brain child of the sage when he was serving as the Federal Commissioner of Finance. Yes, we were taught who gave Nigeria the name, the flag and other pieces of vital information, but this book enriched my knowledge much more.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/tourism/item/6137-did-you-know-that-awo-coined-the-name-naira-tourism-is-life-reveals
and so mtheeeeeew no be person nane nija..next page pls

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Sweetapple007(f): 11:28am On Mar 01, 2013
We know!
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Policewoman(f): 11:28am On Mar 01, 2013
So how does this affect the price of fuel in the market?

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 11:28am On Mar 01, 2013
Yes that is true and that is why he died WRETCHED undecided tongue

8 Likes

Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Nobody: 11:30am On Mar 01, 2013
Okay
Re: Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency by Demdem(m): 11:35am On Mar 01, 2013
Tolexander: that is something i wouldn't doubt cos he seems to be the greatest man that masterminded every good thing and victory during those times.

So so on point.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Obasanjo Casts His Vote For Governorship/House Of Assembly Candidates / Sagay: Releasing ‘Repentant’ Boko Haram Members Into Society Dangerous / Buhari Meets With Members Of The 8th National Assembly In Abuja (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.