Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon (18537 Views)

Patience Jonathan’s Look At Alamieyeseigha's Service Of Song (Pictured) / Update On Diepreye Alamieyeseigha’s Death / 2015 Senate Campaign Poster For Alamieyeseigha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 10:27pm On Mar 17, 2013
toluene12:

Even in matter of state pardon, there are checks and balances,unfortunately in Nigeria we have none and the likes of Alams will go ahead and win senatorial electoral seat in the near future or occupy public offices that entails him handling volumes of financial transaction- a man convicted of stealing public funds.
In 2001 fmr president Bill Clinton granted Marc Rich state pardon. Billionaire Marc Rich was accused by federal prosecutors of tax evasion worth $48 million dollars and illegal trading with iran. Rather than stand trial, Rich fled to switzerland and refused to come back home since 1983. He was tried and convicted in absentia.
Clinton's pardon to Rich generated a national uproar. Fmr president Carter called it disgraceful. Federal prosecutors insisted they will go ahead with the civil suits against Marc Rich if he ever return and was still expected to pay 100 million dollars fine. Marc rich is yet to return to the U.S as rumours abound he may be arrested for other unrelated criminal charges.
Now, I stated the above to show how things work in sane climates and to inform people who have been shouting that U.S presidents also gives controversial pardons that pardon itself has its limits.
That limit do not exist in Nigeria and that's why we are worried.
There are no checks and balances in State Pardon. A president's prerogative of mercy is not questionable cos its a constitutional mandate. Pardoning Alam is not something GEJ should even think of what the world would say. Without Alams fall, GEJ would not have been President, Put yourself in his shoes.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 10:28pm On Mar 17, 2013
Capnd143: america can neva do what? Who supported osama bin laden to break up the soviet union? You gotta be kiddin me
Many of them do not read apparently.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by cap28: 10:31pm On Mar 17, 2013
toluene12:
nigeria at her current growth rate and a population of 170 million isnt growing fast enough? na wa o
do u know africa is the 2nd most populous continent after asia.
initially it was sterile vaccines, now its killer antiretroviral drugs all in an effort to reduce african population
i know u people hates the U.S, but give them credit where its due.

what is the life expectancy of the average nigerian?
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by emiye(m): 10:36pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: Granting Alam State Pardon is for Glory of Nigeria and Nigerians, this may sound controversial but if you come from NDelta, you will know that Alam's boys control the creeks, if you hurt Alamco, the Oil companies will suffer and Nigeria as a country will lose money and not have cash to even execute budget, the economy will suffer and collapse. Granting Alams State Pardon means stability of the creeks, do not think that US can help calm the water ways, infact America will readily exchange oil at cheap for arms to the Boys. Do you really want to know where the arms in NDelta came from ? There are certain things that should be kept secret. Presidency is a tough call. Sometimes God uses the Devil to glory himself.

What kind of nonsensical shiiiit is this?

Can you please STFU?

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 17, 2013
One Oga at d top pardon somebody and d bigger Oga at d top is angry,
U see while u need to consult d Oga at d top, mk peace 4 reign
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by nagoma(m): 10:40pm On Mar 17, 2013
Power itself is a very strong Drink but when your president drinks ogogoro on top of that, then we have the Nigerian situation. The previous heads of government , Gowon, OBJ, Shagari,Buhari,IBB,Shonekan and Abubakar must be laughing at the clumsy Reterdeen we have in office now.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by negosus: 10:43pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: There is no provision for the voice of the people when it comes to state pardon and amnesty, it is the President's decision, he decides who to grant this State Pardon. Leadership is a tough call. Alam is GEJ's benefactor, and it is only natural to for him to do that. I quite agree, without Alams fall, GEJ wouldnt have been President, there is no greater way to show appreciation. Put yourself in his shoes for once.

Honestly I am deeply worried if it has turn to this. By implication, this means that other convicts should be pardoned in one way or the other.

But mark me, not matter how constitutional it might appear to be, it is very unpopular (just like UNILAG/MAULAG blunder) and might cost him the presidency.
This is a very bitter truth and you guys should brace for it.

He has given the clear signal that he can't fight corruption and I will urge patriotic Nigerians to read between the lines.

If I were him, I would not have towed that path of ignominy by sacrificing the office of presidency just to rehabilitate my benefactor. It doesn't make sense to me. Am I dreaming? Are we in different planet or era? Pinching myself... and shouting NO, this is 21st century. It is a blunder too many.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by negosus: 10:43pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: There is no provision for the voice of the people when it comes to state pardon and amnesty, it is the President's decision, he decides who to grant this State Pardon. Leadership is a tough call. Alam is GEJ's benefactor, and it is only natural to for him to do that. I quite agree, without Alams fall, GEJ wouldnt have been President, there is no greater way to show appreciation. Put yourself in his shoes for once.

Honestly I am deeply worried if it has turn to this. By implication, this means that other convicts should be pardoned in one way or the other.

But mark me, not matter how constitutional it might appear to be, it is very unpopular (just like UNILAG/MAULAG blunder) and might cost him the presidency.

He has given the clear signal that he can't fight corruption and I will urge patriotic Nigerians to read between the lines.

If I were him, I would not have towed that path of ignominy by sacrificing the office of presidency just to rehabilitate my benefactor. It doesn't make sense to me. Am I dreaming? Are we in different planet or era? Pinching myself... and shouting NO, this is 21st century. It is a blunder too many.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by pitypec(m): 10:46pm On Mar 17, 2013
Us has a corrupt government and they support corruption in different countries knowingly or unkowningly aids is one of them.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by negosus: 10:48pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: Granting Alam State Pardon is for Glory of Nigeria and Nigerians, this may sound controversial but if you come from NDelta, you will know that Alam's boys control the creeks, if you hurt Alamco, the Oil companies will suffer and Nigeria as a country will lose money and not have cash to even execute budget, the economy will suffer and collapse. Granting Alams State Pardon means stability of the creeks, do not think that US can help calm the water ways, infact America will readily exchange oil at cheap for arms to the Boys. Do you really want to know where the arms in NDelta came from ? There are certain things that should be kept secret. Presidency is a tough call. Sometimes God uses the Devil to glory himself.

UNBELIEVABLE!!! WHAT?

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 17, 2013
negosus:

Yes, he, as President is mandated to grant State Pardon to anyone, even if he chose to grant Boko Haram leader, that's his official fiat. Not even the Senate can question that, cos it is his constitutional mandate.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 17, 2013
negosus:

UNBELIEVABLE!!! WHAT?
And talking about costing his Presidency, not at all. He is already President and its not an not an impeachable offense, (not even an offense) to grant State Pardon. If you are talking about 2015 ? Hmmnn,...I am yet to see a viable opposition. Last I checked, All Pogressivess Congress is still battling registration ratification and it seems to me, its a still birth.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 10:56pm On Mar 17, 2013
nagoma: Power itself is a very strong Drink but when your president drinks ogogoro on top of that, then we have the Nigerian situation. The previous heads of government , Gowon, OBJ, Shagari,Buhari,IBB,Shonekan and Abubakar must be laughing at the clumsy Reterdeen we have in office now.
Am sorry but whats the meaning of 'Reterdeen' ?
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by toluene12: 10:56pm On Mar 17, 2013
cap28:
what is the life expectancy of the average nigerian?

male: 49 yrs
female: 51 yrs
one of the lowest in africa self, and is due to vaccine given to children and free antiretroviral drugs from the U.S
shocked
I'm also a salesman in the north pole making huge money selling ice to eskimosgrin grin

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by negosus: 11:05pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: Yes, he, as President is mandated to grant State Pardon to anyone, even if he chose to grant Boko Haram leader, that's his official fiat. Not even the Senate can question that, cos it is his constitutional mandate.
Agreed about such right to the president, however he should also know that the people can [b]disagree [/b]when such right is mis-applied.
It is not about his right to pardon but the reactions that followed. We are not under a monarchy but a government by the people.
Pardoning a celebrated, world renowned and convicted thief, as an act in exercising a constitutional right, is to me very un-wise.

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by toluene12: 11:11pm On Mar 17, 2013
negosus:
Agreed about such right to the president, however he should also know that the people can [b]disagree [/b]when such right is mis-applied.
It is not about his right to pardon but the reactions that followed. We are not under a monarchy but a government by the people.
Pardoning a celebrated, world renowned and convicted thief, as an act in exercising a constitutional right, is to me very un-wise.

ignore the guy, he understands our viewpoint, he's just playing smart.
pardon maybe but definitely not restoration
we may forgive but we must not forget.

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 11:13pm On Mar 17, 2013
negosus:

Truth about Alams problem is, he was just a victim of OBJ's bullying. Do you know Alams is a retired military officer ? He went against OBJ and alligned with OBJ's opposition. He was simply a scapegoat, Mike Adenuga was lucky to run away to London then. Orji Uzor Kalu's Slok Air was banned from our Airspace in Nigeria. Tinubu's Lagos Federal allowance was stopped for over a year. We tend to forget these things. Alam was not innocent but he was a victim of a Bullying OBJ then.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by negosus: 11:15pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: And talking about costing his Presidency, not at all. He is already President and its not an not an impeachable offense, (not even an offense) to grant State Pardon. If you are talking about 2015 ? Hmmnn,...I am yet to see a viable opposition. Last I checked, All Pogressivess Congress is still battling registration ratification and it seems to me, its a still birth.
Oga, nothing is cast on gold. History has taught us a lot about power - that it is transient.
Not even Hitler's of this world and Abacha survived it.
He is doing a lot of permutations & combinations to make him sail through coming 2015 but I am not sure GEJ presidency will go beyond 2015.
If it does happens, then it probably could be that he has retraced his steps or we are the ones that are wrong and/or we are hypnotized.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by chucky234(m): 11:20pm On Mar 17, 2013
dlox147: "the smartest" man on NL, let me get one thing strait, i dont care who mr president decides to pardon or not but what i worry is how the US keep coming up with threats each tym any nation carries out any action,one day they will tell YOU who to call yopur FATHER..now tell me smart ass, which country survives from aids from the US? mr smart,did YOUR president do anything unlawful by granting the pardon? did Bill Clinton not grant pardon to his brother? is pardon not granted by oda leaders across the world?...guy just SHUT UP and think of how you can be useful to your country , rather than come here to rain insults on pple...godday
What a goon,can't imagine how dumb you are.
Things like this affect international relations and the USA being one of the major stakeholders of the Nigeria economy have the right to voice their grievances when our dear retardeen take silly decisions like this one as they expected much from GEJ's govt in the fight against corruption,why pardon a man that is supposed to have been extradited to the UK for trials.
The last time I checked Nigeria is not the only country threaten by foreign bodies or countries,80% of Nigerian crude is exported to the US and $600m in aid is certainly not a small amount buddy.
BTW what have you done to better this country....huh
Pardon is not a crime but becomes one when it involves a man that escaped from UK dressed as a woman,FG should have extradited him to the UK to face his trials just as Ibori was extradited.

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 17, 2013
negosus:
Oga, nothing is cast on gold. History has taught us a lot about power - that it is transient.
Not even Hitler's of this world and Abacha survived it.
He is doing a lot of permutations & combinations to make him sail through coming 2015 but I am not sure GEJ presidency will go beyond 2015.
If it does happens, then it probably could be that he has retraced his steps or we are the ones that are wrong and/or we are hypnotized.
I beg to disagree, Nigerians I interacted with outside of nairaland are actually very passionate of GEJ, they see the humility in him. They say he has introduced human face to governance. Every one seems to agree that he is not corrupt. I do know for a fact, that he will return to Aso Rock again come 2015. The opposition has so far proven to be not ready for winning ways judging from their ignorance to even register a party before gallivanting, now some boys somewhere have laid claim to the APC acronym while they play blame game. As for me, I am not ready to vote for confused for any confused Party.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by chucky234(m): 11:23pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: Am sorry but whats the meaning of 'Reterdeen' ?
GEJ + Billyonaire = Retardeen

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 11:23pm On Mar 17, 2013
chucky234: What a goon,can't imagine how dumb you are.
Things like this affect international relations and the USA being one of the major stakeholders of the Nigeria economy have the right to voice their grievances in when our dear retardeen take silly decisions like this one as they expected much from GEJ's govt in the fight against corruption,why pardon a man that is supposed to have been extradited to the UK for trials.
The last time I checked Nigeria is not the only country threaten by foreign bodies or countries,80% of Nigerian crude is exported to the US and $600m in aid is certainly not a small amount buddy.
BTW what have you done to better this country....huh
Pardon is not a crime but becomes one when it involves a man that escaped from UK dressed as a woman,FG should have extradited him to the UK to face his trials just as Ibori was extradited.
It seems to me that you are an enemy within. Where is your allegiance ? Where lie your patriotism ?
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 11:25pm On Mar 17, 2013
chucky234: GEJ + Billyonaire = Retardeen
And please, whats the meaning of Retardeen ? if it means a man, who wins and rule without sweat, then you are right. If it means, someone who without effort wins popular support and assume mantle of leadership then you are perfectly right.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by chucky234(m): 11:25pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: It seems to me that you are an enemy within. Where is your allegiance ? Where lies your patriotism ?
What patriotism are you talking about

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Rossikk(m): 11:25pm On Mar 17, 2013
Rossikk:

AMERICAN ''AID'' IS ALWAYS PREDICATED ON THE PREMISE THAT THE ''AID'' RECIPIENT MUST PURCHASE WHATEVER GOODS THE ''AID'' IS FOR FROM US COMPANIES, EVEN IF THEY CAN OBTAIN THEM CHEAPER ELSEWHERE. SO THE ''AID'' MONEY GENERALLY RETURNS TO THE US ECONOMY. THEY ARE NOT GIVING ANYTHING AWAY.

toluene12:
every country does the same. there's no free meal anywhere, not even in freetown. when the chinese gives you money to construct a railroad, they insist their company construct it and you purchase all the equipments from their companies. And if its a loan, u must pay back.

Then don't call it aid. Call it 'business'.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Raypawer(m): 11:26pm On Mar 17, 2013
chiover: The only aid we need from them is visa and nothing but visa

on point there
afterall the money they give floats in the sky as usual....

and
notting really to show for the previous money the've been giving
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by chucky234(m): 11:27pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: And please, whats the meaning of Retardeen ? if it means a man, who wins and rule without sweat, then you are right. If it means, someone who without effort wins popular support and assume mantle of leadership then you are perfectly right.
It simply means someone who is totally clueless and uninformed.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 17, 2013
chucky234: What patriotism are you talking about
Within the context of Sovereign Political Geometry.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: It seems to me that you are an enemy within. Where is your allegiance ? Where lies your patriotism ?
Billyonaire, I respect your views as much as you are bent on saying the truth. Of what good is allegiance when it is to the aid of criminals in our country? Let's stand firm on transparency and say the truth where it needs to be told. I don't see this State pardon of Alamieyeseigha as one that should have been carried out.

1 Like

Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Rossikk(m): 11:29pm On Mar 17, 2013
Raypawer:

on point there
afterall the money they give floats in the sky as usual....

and
notting really to show for the previous money the've been giving

There is a LOT MORE TO SHOW IN NIGERIA THAN THE MEASLY 225 MILLION DOLLARS ''AID'' MONEY SENT BY THE USA. IF YOU DON'T KNOW THAT THEN YOU NEED PSYCHIATRIC HELP.
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by Nobody: 11:30pm On Mar 17, 2013
chucky234: It simply means someone who is totally clueless and uninformed.
Can you avail me the lexicon with such stupendous laxity or you should I rather say you are politically color-blind ?
Re: US May Cut Aid For Alamieyeseigha's Pardon by negosus: 11:34pm On Mar 17, 2013
Billyonaire: Truth about Alams problem is, he was just a victim of OBJ's bullying. Do you know Alams is a retired military officer ? He went against OBJ and alligned with OBJ's opposition. He was simply a scapegoat, Mike Adenuga was lucky to run away to London then. Orji Uzor Kalu's Slok Air was banned from our Airspace in Nigeria. Tinubu's Lagos Federal allowance was stopped for over a year. We tend to forget these things. Alam was not innocent but he was a victim of a Bullying OBJ then.

May be in political parlance there exist such bullying, but there is no excuse for being caught in GB laundering money and jumping bail in the capacity of a Nigerian executive Governor. What do you think will be the perception of the world about the rest of us. Alams, Dariye, Ibori et'al cases are real criminal cases but could easily be buried as political bullying and/or even be painted with tribal coloration as persecution, only when the plot fails. We can't continue like this because it will NOT work. It is failure certified. I am thinking...if I should jump bus now or remain to repair this failed system. I choose the later.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Wike Addresses Protesting Foreign Scholarship Beneficiaries In London (Photos) / Osinbajo, Ministers To Ride On Lagos-ibadan Train Next Month / Abaribe, Nnia Nwodo, Jim Nwobodo, SE Governors, Others Have Close Door Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.