Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,168 members, 7,953,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:04 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1532742 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 9:21am On Dec 08, 2013
excelsiorfarm: i dont think anyone is avoiding your question. I guess u are interested in weight gain, u need a drug that would aid FCR,aquapro & livestovit will assist,note no magic about it,if yr fishes are 600gram & u expect to hit 1kg in 17 days,u could have starter earlier, clean water will aid better eating rate in fishes,use of aerators too
. Thanks mr Excelsior and ayosat, i will get livetovit for them
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ijobaorun(m): 3:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
Hello house, happy sunday.
Pls, is it that important 4 me to drain old water b4 adding fresh 1? Due to the sun, the water used to reduce almost everyday and I will just add new water at least twice a week without draining the formal. Hope it does not mean and can't affect their growth. Thanks.
I used earthen pond which will normally gets dirty no matter the clean water pumped inside.
Any other way out?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
Hello house!!!

I just want to share on how over crowding affects the growth of fishes in a pond..I wrote sometime ago about over stocking, that when a pond is over stocked it makes the fish stunted

I recently spawned precisely 4 weeks today and the fries where much, I didn't expect the amount of fries I got because I only used a male and a female brood stock..

I spread the fries the third day to different seperate ponds and left the remaining.. After a week I noticed that they were so crowded on each of the ponds I spread them to and I couldn't transfer them to the larger concrete pond.. The result is that the ones I left were way more bigger than the rest..

Pix after the cut..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:03pm On Dec 08, 2013
Fries in their seperate ponds!!!

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
The resultant effect!!!

The average size of the Fries gotten from two seperate ponds!!!

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 4:57pm On Dec 08, 2013
On the contrary, I kinow a farmer that usually overstocks his pond, uses his formulated local feed but hits an average of 2kg within 6months before sale. Where a normal farmer stocks like 1000 pieces, this man would stock between 3 to 4000. How does he do it?........... Simply clean water. He does flow through. His bore hole is on 24/7. Has a standby sound proof gen.

He uses a limited space but produce more. Though this is not advisable to begginers because of d associated risks and cost. But am looking towards that approach. It saves cost in the long run.

What do you guys think??

Space do less or jampack and apply technology?

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:01pm On Dec 08, 2013
op how old are your fishes(fries) & at what age do u sell for fingerlings & juveniles?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:17pm On Dec 08, 2013
@mozek24,i agree with u,that concept is like recirculatory i.e flush out waste which impedes or low growth,reduces o2 that enhance digestion & growth.technology beats crude methods eg isreal with small land also produces more & export more than most large countries.quality of water in fish farming is key to overcome diseases & aid growth.as well as feed
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by CHANNELFARMS(m): 7:21pm On Dec 08, 2013
lansha2006: Please advise on how to enrol for the training in Benin republic.
dia's no nid 2 wander abt CHANNEL CATFISH FARMS LTD presents: Pond constructions(earthen & concrete), Pond repairs and treatments, Catfish stocksize supplies(fingerlins,post & juvenile),Catfish feed consultant, Catfish hatching training, Catfish hatchery construction(flow-through & recycling systems), Table size catfish marketing, Catfish diseases prevention and treatment, Catfish farm management. Etc...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOPAI7(m): 12:03am On Dec 09, 2013
I want to appreciate the contribution of everyone on this forum. Am an ardent follower of this thread. Recently I engaged the services of an expert to spawn for me. The broodstock (female 4kg), male (3.2kg). The egg and sperm were good by what the expert said.

The irony of the spawning was that, no fry survived. My question is this:
(1) What should be the pH, temperature and other key parameters for spawning?
(2) The spawning was done in an open tarpaulin pond. Could this be a result for the mortality?

Thanks in advance for your ever constructive comments.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:28am On Dec 09, 2013
TOPAI7: I want to appreciate the contribution of everyone on this forum. Am an ardent follower of this thread. Recently I engaged the services of an expert to spawn for me. The broodstock (female 4kg), male (3.2kg). The egg and sperm were good by what the expert said.

The irony of the spawning was that, no fry survived. My question is this:
(1) What should be the pH, temperature and other key parameters for spawning?
(2) The spawning was done in an open tarpaulin pond. Could this be a result for the mortality?

Thanks in advance for your ever constructive comments.

After spawning how many days did they last??

The ideal P.H of any water for spawning should be 6.5 to 7.. You have to check ur managemebt practices like do u do do constant flow through.. How do u feed them, because when u over feed it pollutes the water and decreases oxygen thereby killing the fries..

The open tampoulin pond is sun light directed towards the pond because excess heat have a major effect on the fries

Where the ponds also treated before hatching??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOPAI7(m): 11:50am On Dec 09, 2013
They did last the spawning period. Few eggs hatch. More than 95% of the eggs were white by the second day. I suspect that the pH was low (6.00).

The pond was washed with salt as earlier advised in this thread.

The pond is directly under a coconut tree (I was thinking that low temperature might have affected)

There was flow through but it was not constant.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:27pm On Dec 09, 2013
TOPAI7: They did last the spawning period. Few eggs hatch. More than 95% of the eggs were white by the second day. I suspect that the pH was low (6.00).

The pond was washed with salt as earlier advised in this thread.

The pond is directly under a coconut tree (I was thinking that low temperature might have affected)

There was flow through but it was not constant.

I will advice that you check the P.H of ur water using a testing kit to ascertain the P.H level..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cachiskky(f): 4:59pm On Dec 09, 2013
hello house, still on the subject of wounds. i discovered that the tail end of my fish are almost gone like u could practically see the bone of some. somebody suggested pottassium permanganate to treat the fish. please what are the gains and the dangers of this method of treatment because the fish are dying. i use earthern pond. please help
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2013
cachiskky: hello house, still on the subject of wounds. i discovered that the tail end of my fish are almost gone like u could practically see the bone of some. somebody suggested pottassium permanganate to treat the fish. please what are the gains and the dangers of this method of treatment because the fish are dying. i use earthern pond. please help

Follow ab1x advise since its an earthen pond issue!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
cachiskky: hello house, still on the subject of wounds. i discovered that the tail end of my fish are almost gone like u could practically see the bone of some. somebody suggested pottassium permanganate to treat the fish. please what are the gains and the dangers of this method of treatment because the fish are dying. i use earthern pond. please help

It is not advisable to make use of PG in earthen pond. I've posted ways by which you can treat your fish in earthen pond in my previous post on this thread. You need to get the following items; salt, NCO and Ashes(eeru).

The amount of salt to get depends on the size of your pond eg in a 30 by 40 meter pond, I use 20 to 30KG of salt.
A sachet of NCO is between N900 to N1000
Ashes, that you can get freely from any local bakery around or people that make use of charcoal to cook or make boli(roasted banana) smiley

Here is the application of the above stuff:

1) Drain the water in the pond with the use of your water pumping machine.
2) Leave little water in the pond in such a way that it will cover the fish
3) Then, mix the three items together ie salt, ashes and nco.
4) Sprinkle it all over the pond, do make sure it covers everywhere
5) Leave them for like 30 to 40 mins, after which you allow fresh water into the pond

Before I tell you what next to do, let me know how old the fish are.

Cheers,

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 6:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
^^^ Wow!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
Topa17. I will advise you try again. I had a similar issue in July this year that is my first hatch. I paid this professional 30k (workmanship) to hatch for me. He provided every other material which cost me an extra 40k.he brought 3 females and 2 males each not less than 4kg. Day 2 after spawning everything disappeared, water turned milky. I lost almost 100k. I contracted another pro who introduced local re circulatory system. I told him my past experience. He advised we use a re circulatory system I said ok as long as it works. Construction alone gulped almost 150k, 50k labour, 8 brood stocks of 4kg each @ 2000. (Y 8? 3 of d males don't hav sperm sac and the biggest died before daybreak). I spent about 220k yet they lasted only day 2 after spawning. I was so angry I told the guy to return my money. Did I see ten kobo?
He blamed it on water cos every other material thing was in place.

I nearly gave up on hatching. My wife encouraged me try again this time on my own. I was so scared that I used a male and a female of about 1.5kd each. Guess what ? It came out very well, my wife and I were jumping up and giving testimonies. I did the same thing I saw those pros do! We got about 3000 post fingerlings. And it gets even better since then using the same water undiluted/reguated.
Now it costs me less than 10k to hatch while expecting a minimum of 6000 fingerlings.

I will advise you visit a farm or attend another training then try it on your own. No big deal.
I am not again testing your water ph, just that sometimes your ph will be ok yet they die like in my case.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by DBounty(m): 10:18pm On Dec 09, 2013
Pls let me have dis gurus contact. I need to learn frm pple like him. Tanz.
mozek24: On the contrary, I kinow a farmer that usually overstocks his pond, uses his formulated local feed but hits an average of 2kg within 6months before sale. Where a normal farmer stocks like 1000 pieces, this man would stock between 3 to 4000. How does he do it?........... Simply clean water. He does flow through. His bore hole is on 24/7. Has a standby sound proof gen.

He uses a limited space but produce more. Though this is not advisable to begginers because of d associated risks and cost. But am looking towards that approach. It saves cost in the long run.

What do you guys think??

Space do less or jampack and apply technology?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 10:38pm On Dec 09, 2013
Hello house, pls let's discuss how a newbie like me can raise more capital for this business as we all know that it's a capital intensive business.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mickyfish(m): 11:12pm On Dec 09, 2013
ur fishes r suffering 4rm tail n fin rot(PENDUNCLE DISEASE). The causes of this kind of disease r 1. Protracted low temperature, dirty living conndition n damages and weakness caused by other diseases. The treatment 4 dis kind of disease is ANTI-BIOTICS n improve water condition(water quality) no amount of salt'll work @ dis stage, mind u too much of salt can kill ur whole fishes. Just treat dem wit d recomended dosage of anti-biotics u r to use thank u.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mickyfish(m): 12:33am On Dec 10, 2013
Oga robonski, excelsoirfarm n others I want 2 use this medium 2 say more pawers 2 ur elbows 4 all u guys r doing, thousands of nigerians r benefiting 4rm dis tread including mysef n anyone who wants 2 cuz confusion here God 'll expose their evil act, thank u all n God bless u all.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOKUGAWA(m): 5:05am On Dec 10, 2013
as Abx1 has rightfully said abeg use salt if u dnt have d time to look for ashes.,salt is very powerful and its d best treatment u cn give fish in earthen ponds,even ashes alone will do d magic.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOKUGAWA(m): 5:37am On Dec 10, 2013
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:27am On Dec 10, 2013
mickyfish: Oga robonski, excelsoirfarm n others I want 2 use this medium 2 say more pawers 2 ur elbows 4 all u guys r doing, thousands of nigerians r benefiting 4rm dis tread including mysef n anyone who wants 2 cuz confusion here God 'll expose their evil act, thank u all n God bless u all.
Amen,thank God sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cachiskky(f): 8:29am On Dec 10, 2013
mickyfish: ur fishes r suffering 4rm tail n fin rot(PENDUNCLE DISEASE). The causes of this kind of disease r 1. Protracted low temperature, dirty living conndition n damages and weakness caused by other diseases. The treatment 4 dis kind of disease is ANTI-BIOTICS n improve water condition(water quality) no amount of salt'll work @ dis stage, mind u too much of salt can kill ur whole fishes. Just treat dem wit d recomended dosage of anti-biotics u r to use thank u.

tnx
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cachiskky(f): 8:34am On Dec 10, 2013
ab1x:

It is not advisable to make use of PG in earthen pond. I've posted ways by which you can treat your fish in earthen pond in my previous post on this thread. You need to get the following items; salt, NCO and Ashes(eeru).

The amount of salt to get depends on the size of your pond eg in a 30 by 40 meter pond, I use 20 to 30KG of salt.
A sachet of NCO is between N900 to N1000
Ashes, that you can get freely from any local bakery around or people that make use of charcoal to cook or make boli(roasted banana) smiley

Here is the application of the above stuff:

1) Drain the water in the pond with the use of your water pumping machine.
2) Leave little water in the pond in such a way that it will cover the fish
3) Then, mix the three items together ie salt, ashes and nco.
4) Sprinkle it all over the pond, do make sure it covers everywhere
5) Leave them for like 30 to 40 mins, after which you allow fresh water into the pond

Before I tell you what next to do, let me know how old the fish are.

thanks for getting back to me. the fish are 8weeks old

Cheers,
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:13am On Dec 10, 2013
excelsiorfarm: op how old are your fishes(fries) & at what age do u sell for fingerlings & juveniles?

My fries are 4 weeks and two days old.. I sell my fingerlings at 8 weeks and juvenile at 12 weeks.. It also depends on how fast they grow!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOPAI7(m): 11:21am On Dec 10, 2013
mozek24: Topa17. I will advise you try again. I had a similar issue in July this year that is my first hatch. I paid this professional 30k (workmanship) to hatch for me. He provided every other material which cost me an extra 40k.he brought 3 females and 2 males each not less than 4kg. Day 2 after spawning everything disappeared, water turned milky. I lost almost 100k. I contracted another pro who introduced local re circulatory system. I told him my past experience. He advised we use a re circulatory system I said ok as long as it works. Construction alone gulped almost 150k, 50k labour, 8 brood stocks of 4kg each @ 2000. (Y 8? 3 of d males don't hav sperm sac and the biggest died before daybreak). I spent about 220k yet they lasted only day 2 after spawning. I was so angry I told the guy to return my money. Did I see ten kobo?
He blamed it on water cos every other material thing was in place.

I nearly gave up on hatching. My wife encouraged me try again this time on my own. I was so scared that I used a male and a female of about 1.5kd each. Guess what ? It came out very well, my wife and I were jumping up and giving testimonies. I did the same thing I saw those pros do! We got about 3000 post fingerlings. And it gets even better since then using the same water undiluted/reguated.
Now it costs me less than 10k to hatch while expecting a minimum of 6000 fingerlings.

I will advise you visit a farm or attend another training then try it on your own. No big deal.
I am not again testing your water ph, just that sometimes your ph will be ok yet they die like in my case.

@ mozek24
Thanks so much I will not give up as you advised.

@robonski
I will checked the pH again. And try spawning again. (In your words, if one has not started hatching, one has not started fish farming).

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:00pm On Dec 10, 2013
robonski15:

My fries are 4 weeks and two days old.. I sell my fingerlings at 8 weeks and juvenile at 12 weeks.. It also depends on how fast they grow!!!
no problem
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by drblack3: 12:21pm On Dec 10, 2013
Hello room, I've been following this thread. I have tried fish farming bt it failed due to poor management I believe. I will be grateful for any useful info to guide me to re-establish again.
I have 5 15/7ft concrete ponds and a number of large earthponds. Wts d ideal number of fishes to stock in one of each 15/7ft ponds, wt do I use to disinfect d ponds? Do I buy fingerlins like b4 or do I hatch mine? What feed and type of feeding is recomended? Wt stage do I sort? Wt stage do I change d size of feed? Hw often should water be changed? Thanks for your anticipated replies.

Note: "Please don't quote month o, spambot will ban u bcuz of d underscore in my username. If u must quote me remove d underscore"
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 1:17pm On Dec 10, 2013
TOPAI7:

@ mozek24
Thanks so much I will not give up as you advised.

@robonski
I will checked the pH again. And try spawning again. (In your words, if one has not started hatching, one has not started fish farming).

Pls don't u ever give up.. Mozek24 experience with hatching is even good compared to mine.. I had a very bad experience during my earlier days with hatching.. I did all sort of tins, I will spawn sometimes all the eggs will be white another will hatch but they will all die etc..

I was just hatching and flopping but all the while I was learning from every flop.. The money I spent on brood stock alone was enuf to set up a small farm grin..
Myself and someone on the thread has been thru a lot on the spawning process.. There was a time this same person spawned in his BATH THUB just to be closer to the fries but it all ended in a fiasco..

I also contacted someone who is a follower of this thread back in 2010 who sold brood stock for me twice without the males having no sperm sack..maybe he has used the male and he sew back the stomach and also cheated me of my hard earned cash with buying of this and that, I left him for good but just recently his bad deeds was revealed... I can go on and on abt my experiences..

So what am saying in essence is that u don't have to give up, keep trying and learn from ur mistakes.. Just imagine that I quitted back then..

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.