Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,841 members, 7,828,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (26021 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 7:01am On Apr 09, 2013
Uncanny Genius: Look at this stupid ofe.mmanu they call Sam Omatseye. While the great Iroko of Igboland was exposing the evils of colonialism Perpetrated by the West, Wole Soyinka was busy glorifying the West writing in big grammar that makes no sense.

You sound like the tru son of angry and bitter zero Nobel ashebe... ndo
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by RisenSun(m): 7:02am On Apr 09, 2013
caustical:

U are the loser nimcompoo.p, U have to go as far as equiano in 1745 even though his origin was not confirmed that is pathetic bro.......... read this excerpt from wikipedia to confirm uncertainty of his origin

Controversy of his origin

Scholars have disagreed about Equiano's origins. Some believe he may have fabricated his African roots and his survival of the Middle Passage not only to sell more copies of his book but also to help advance the movement against the slave trade. According to Vincent Carretta,

Equiano was certainly African by descent. The circumstantial evidence that Equiano was also African American by birth and African British by choice is compelling but not absolutely conclusive. Although the circumstantial evidence is not equivalent to proof, anyone dealing with Equiano's life and art must consider it.[4]

Baptismal records and a naval muster roll appear to link Equiano to South Carolina. Records of Equiano's first voyage to the Arctic state he was from Carolina, not Africa.[13] Equiano may have been the source for information linking him to Carolina, but it may also have been a clerk's careless record of origin. Scholars continue to search for evidence to substantiate Equiano's claim of birth in Africa. Currently, no separate documentation supports this story. Carretta holds that Equiano was born in South Carolina, based on the documents mentioned above.[14]

But brother, the man claims to be Eboe, why you dey vex for am naa?

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by bongila(f): 7:27am On Apr 09, 2013
Caustical,Eko Ile,Dayokanu,seanet01 et al you are fine ones to talk about bigotry. Every post in this section is all about ethnic bashing,igbo hating from you.
This is the same thing you guys accuse Achebe of but yet you draw your first morning breathe hating on the igbos.
It really is hypocrisy at it's peak I tell ya.
@Topic Sam is a nobody as far as I am concerned,till he writes a book as popular as TFA he will still remain in Obscurity.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 7:29am On Apr 09, 2013
When will people stop being stupid. A man is telling you his origin, you say he is not sure. Birthplace is different from origin. Equiano says he is of igbo origin and some people are trying to dispute HIS OWN ACCOUNT. If you heard read works about him, including the wikipedia FULL DISCUSSION about more facts weighing his birthplace account to be true, jealous imbeciles like you will just shut up. @caustical, you are from hutu tribe not yoruba, disprove me since i know you better than yourself...fool.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 09, 2013
Leaders of Igbo that are alive should tell their people the truth about the 1966 crisis and the civil war. Instead of Chinua Achebe to tell his people the truth especially in his only non-fiction, There Was A Country, apart from The Trouble With Nigeria, he ended up lying against Obafemi Awolowo. If "Biafra" had done what Awolowo was accused of Achebe wouldn't have seen anything wrong in it. Is it not rather a slap on Achebe's face that the same Awolowo he accused was described by his (Achebe) oga at the top, Emeka Ojukwu, as being the best President Nigeria never had. What is in play here, even as people (some of the Igbo) have had their brains blocked by tribal bigotry is bringing the saying, "what goes round comes around." :Achebe accused the late Awolowo; the late Achebe is now, with facts, being accused by not just a poet, a journalist but also a 1984 product of History, Unife (now OAU), Omatseye Oritsetimehin Sam. I dey laugh. Eni ba n binu ko lo ko s'omi ta bi ko lo bo s'enu railway.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 7:37am On Apr 09, 2013
@kingoflag, listen to yourself. The man forged his origin, LIKE YOU FORGED YOURS. Birthplace is even different from ancestral origin. Equiano says he is igbo, why is it biting you? Are you his father? Envious beast.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 7:44am On Apr 09, 2013
@ola johnson, the world pays it's tribute to achebe. Awo never received such because he is an ethnic champion. Omatseye in his lifetime, will never stand shoulder to shoulder with achebe. As for you, go to hell.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 09, 2013
No matter what is said here the accomplishments of Obafemi Awolowo and those of the Nobel Laureate (I go mention am, any person wey wan die make im die), Wole Soyinka, can't be wiped off. Awolowo introduced free education, built the first TV station, WNTV (now NTA, Ibadan) in Africa, built the first olympic standard stadium, Liberty Stadium, Ibadan; in Africa, etc.
Wole Soyinka's play, A Dance of the Forest, won the drama competition for the play to be staged on independence anniverssary. Though later dropped for his language against the politicians and Britons, he was later begged to stage at the 50th anniversary of Nigeria in 2010. He was the MC at the independence anniversary.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Emperor007: 8:02am On Apr 09, 2013
One_Naira:

1.) For someone to be giving that title, he or she must have proved to others he's worth and if the entire Africa disagreed with that concept, like they do with the "nigerian is the giant of africa", they would have condemned and put it down rather than uplifting it like they do till date. A BIG HUGE AND UNDENIABLE FACT. If you don't understand why he reached that feat, open a damn book and read. Ewu. Now tell me what is it you've done that should be praised at all? what have you done with your miserable life? I don dey wait.

2.) What kind of stup1d claim is this? Criticism should only come from those he defamed from his book? is that what you are saying? Is that what they thought in your literature course? Dude did a maggot eat up your entire brain? If a writer is bad or terrible, his work would be condemned by EVERYONE. There is no if, and, or, but about that. Like I said, if we start comparing, Nigg@ you know you'll lose so quit now.

3.) Foreign journalism only pay respect to the man just to respect him. Someone please lend this man some sense. ROFLMFAO. Micheal Jackson was praised because, just like Achebe, his work received all over the world. see this nigg@ now hating on micheal jackson too. dude stop hating on those that achieved more than you. It is not there fault that while they were working, you were lazing about. Stop being a hater!! Anyway back to what I was saying, He left Nigeria because the corruption in Nigeria, which your people were the major culprit behind such corruption, caused him his legs. While at the same time, the f2ked up nation did not fix the problem that caused him his legs and does not provide the necessary survival skills he needed ever since the accident such as physical therapy, physical rehab most cripples need. Moronic fool

As I told you before go around and ask why the literary writers of Africa including some of the well respected politicians love this man. Read the african series and learn what and how he used his words and fame to promote other not so recognized African writer. The only way he has to fight for Africa is risking his life in that death trap called Nigeria according to you abi? Oya now, become a cripple and wheel yourself around all over Nigeria. Heck even now that you have your two feet, have you done anything to benefit anyone be it African or Nigerian wise. Lay stay wishing you've had some relevance in the world and hating on those that achieved more and had more more relevance than you'll ever do in your entire lifetime even if you are re-born multiple times like your multiple Ids

^^^

On point

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Emperor007: 8:04am On Apr 09, 2013

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:05am On Apr 09, 2013
@ola johnson, we are saying the same thing, awo is an ETHNIC CHAMPION. He did it for yoruba isn't it? Soyinka is a great playwright, pls don't use him as a shield for your ethnic bigotry. Achebe fought for every darkskinned human on earth, just like his igbo predecessor- equiano. Great men of like minds....proudly 'EBOES'!

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
@ola johnson, the world pays it's tribute to achebe. Awo never received such because he is an ethnic champion. Omatseye in his lifetime, will never stand shoulder to shoulder with achebe. As for you, go to hell.
Another mistake from you, Achebe was a writer while Awolowo, though a politician wrote more books on Nigerian politics than some professors of Political Science. They were different. Awolowo's funeral in 1987 at the Liberty Stadium, Ibadan was, arguably, the first state burial in Nigeria. You said Awolowo was a tribalist, WHY IS IT THAT ACHEBE's VOICE WAS ONLY HEARD ONLY WHEN IGBO PEOPLE ARE INVOLVED? Who is a tribalist (or more of a tribalist) between the two? Achebe was figting for Biafra while Soyinka was fighting for a united Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:10am On Apr 09, 2013
Omatseye's grandmother must be a local champion in itsekiri. Good for her. Omatseye should follow her footsteps in itsekiri, and leave world renowned colossus like achebe.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Emperor007: 8:11am On Apr 09, 2013
@ Eko Ile

I believe you and your sibling Sam are enjoying the thread, right?

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 8:14am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
When will people stop being stupid. A man is telling you his origin, you say he is not sure. Birthplace is different from origin. Equiano says he is of igbo origin and some people are trying to dispute HIS OWN ACCOUNT. If you heard read works about him, including the wikipedia FULL DISCUSSION about more facts weighing his birthplace account to be true, jealous imbeciles like you will just shut up. @caustical, you are from hutu tribe not yoruba, disprove me since i know you better than yourself...fool.
Vincent Carretta wasn't arguing if Gustavus Vassa had his origin in alaigbo or not.
What he was arguing is that he was probably born in south carolina.
And if he was born in south carolina, can you now imagine what will be the story of how his sister and him were transported across the atlantic to slavery?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
@ola johnson, we are saying the same thing, awo is an ETHNIC CHAMPION. He did it for yoruba isn't it? Soyinka is a great playwright, pls don't use him as a shield for your ethnic bigotry. Achebe fought for every darkskinned human on earth, just like his igbo predecessor- equiano. Great men of like minds....proudly 'EBOES'!
You don't know anything. Reason before you make any post. Awolowo did what he did for the Yoruba because he was the Premier of the Western Region, made up of mostly Yoruba. He was not the Premier of Nigeria. Do expect him to develop the Eastern and Northern regions? I no go dey teach you again o.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 8:23am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
where were you when Chief Obafemi Jeremiah died in May 9, 1987 to know if there were no world tributes to him?
Probably your mum hadn't even gat a bra size!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:28am On Apr 09, 2013
@tolexander, did you also know it was said that it may have a mistake from the birth registrar, or still, equiano's arrangement. Even if so, his NATIVE ORIGIN should not be disputed. He says he is igbo, why are some bigots in NL sulking at this?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Ejine(m): 8:31am On Apr 09, 2013
grin The South-Westerners and their multiple IDs really got owned hard on this thread! grin LOL!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 8:35am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
@tolexander, did you also know it was said that it may have a mistake from the birth registrar, or still, equiano's arrangement. Even if so, his NATIVE ORIGIN should not be disputed. He says he is igbo, why are some bigots in NL sulking at this?
mr man! His date of birth isn't important and relevant to the criticism.
Why the debate was his slavery experience across the atlantic.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by bknight: 8:37am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

The same way Achebe wrote about your otapiapia loving sage. Since you guys don't love it, go get yourselves some otapiapia.

Fellow Nigerian, what exactly are you talking about?

I believe Sam Omatseye is not from the 'otapiapia' loving sage, have I told you I am of this sage you talk about?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:45am On Apr 09, 2013
@tolexander, whether you want to explode or not, awo is only respected in nigeria and worshipped in yorubaland. He was an ethnic champion. As for your biased take on equiano, it only shows what envy can turn one to- a tribal jingoist. Equiano's abolitionist legacy through his writings stands tall, don't cry okay? He is, like achebe, proudly igbo.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 8:49am On Apr 09, 2013
. Sorry.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:59am On Apr 09, 2013
@ola johnson, does your rantings make you feel better? If yes, keep it up.......amala brain.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 9:04am On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander: should i just believe your own summary of music is base on lyrics?

If you want to. Just answer my question sir!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 9:06am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
@tolexander, whether you want to explode or not, awo is only respected in nigeria and worshipped in yorubaland. He was an ethnic champion. As for your biased take on equiano, it only shows what envy can turn one to- a tribal jingoist. Equiano's abolitionist legacy through his writings stands tall, don't cry okay? He is, like achebe, proudly igbo.
oh boy! You aren't in the league of people i can explode to. Just try to listen and learn.
You brought up the issue of awo not being given any foreign tribute when he died. Just tell me where you were when he died to know this.

Nobody is castingating the abolutionist mind and intention of Gustavus Vassa. He had done his best. Does that mean the truth shouldn't be verified?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by phantom(m): 9:06am On Apr 09, 2013
...and it continues @eko-ile, congrats youve successfully championed another award winning hatefilled thread to 16 pages.clap for yourself.mummy must be so so proud!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 9:09am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

If you want to. Just answer my question sir!
hello! You said a man couldn't win the grammy despite the fact that he was considered the best lyricist. Just tell me if winning a grammy stands on how lyrical the music is. Basic!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by phantom(m): 9:20am On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander: hello! You said a man couldn't win the grammy despite the fact that he was considered the best lyricist. Just tell me if winning a grammy stands on how lyrical the music is. Basic!
you obviously have no idea of hiphop so i ll forgive you.@slimghost ...this might pose a problem for you.he doesnt even know hiphop talk more of what your trying to make him see.i suggest you drop your standard a bit.if possible draw pictures for him.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 9:22am On Apr 09, 2013
bknight:

Fellow Nigerian, what exactly are you talking about?

I believe Sam Omatseye is not from the 'otapiapia' loving sage, have I told you I am of this sage you talk about?

Sam's Mum is from the otapiapia loving tribe
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
@ola johnson, does your rantings make you feel better? If yes, keep it up.......amala brain.
Son-Of-El (sic), You didn't remember to add gbegiri to the amala. This amala (and gbegiri) brain of mine is far better than yours. Your hatred for Wole Soyinka who is reputed in the literary world for sharing the same initials with Williams Shakespeare won't move me an inch. If you want to debate you let me know.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 9:25am On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander: hello! You said a man couldn't win the grammy despite the fact that he was considered the best lyricist. Just tell me if winning a grammy stands on how lyrical the music is. Basic!

Am asking you sir, since winning an award now equates being the best in your field! Do you now see how foolish your people's argument is?

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

EdoDecides: INEC Bars Journalists From Collation Centre / DSS Bars EFCC From Arresting Ita Ekpenyong / Total Ban On Okada In Lagos Takes Effect In Two Months - Sanwo-Olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.