Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,768 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! - Nairaland / General (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! (71081 Views)

Have You Ever Been Duped By People With 'juju' Before? Share Your Experience... / 7 Reasons Why Women Live Longer Than Men / Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:05am On May 02, 2013
c.fours:

LOL. my family wasn't rich and we had a househelp. every family on my block had one househelp or another.
maybe u've never lived in nigeria.
househelp is not like in USA where u have to be rich to have one. It could be just a poorer family member or friend's niece in the village that you can bring to the city to help you with domestic chores in exchange for education or food/housing etc.

watch Nollywood movies for a better idea. since you are not even nigerian.

Domestic chores not to educate the children.
Don't tell those teenagers are the one who made your education?
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by pleep(m): 3:07am On May 02, 2013
C.fours is just blabbering about nothing...

1 Like

Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:08am On May 02, 2013
Lol pleep said everything, thanks bra

@ bukatyne stop beating around the Bush, you complained about being oppressed I want you to give me examples of marginalization/oppressions?

Do we have an institutionalized sexism in Africa/Nigeria?

Are men treated differently.

@ cfours Africa is the same don't have to b nigerian, live in Nigeria or watch nollywood to know how it works there
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:09am On May 02, 2013
pleep: C.fours is just blabbering about nothing...
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:13am On May 02, 2013
pleep: I guess naming Ships and Countries by feminine pronounes makes boys grow up to hate themselves. They are some languages were half the words are feminine, u need to grow up

Mother earth is sexist! cry cry cry cry

stop whining like a pig. Every one with at least half a brain or an aota of common sense can see the gender bias in english language. This is NOT even an argument. the question is not if it exists, but how can we do we change it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_neutrality_in_English
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:17am On May 02, 2013
English is not even that biased. Go and try, more widely spoken languages like French, Spanish etc in fact aren't you Yoruba? Tell us about the "bias" in your language
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:18am On May 02, 2013
Heneforth, I will make it a point to use the singular "their" in speaking and writing. eff sexist language rules. smiley
see, this is a simple act of feminism that a person can take and encourage and promote.
http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/austheir.html
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:19am On May 02, 2013
Are u for the change of women to womyn grin grin grin
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:20am On May 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: English is not even that biased. Go and try, more widely spoken languages like French, Spanish etc in fact aren't you Yoruba? Tell us about the "bias" in your language

that's the point. if english isn't "that biased" then I can't stand to think how bad some other languages are. LOL
well, I speak english and read and write exclusively in english so i'll focus on english.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:20am On May 02, 2013
c.fours:
Heneforth, I will make it a point to use the singular "their" in speaking and writing. eff sexist language rules. smiley
see, this is a simple act of feminism that a person can take and encourage and promote.
http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/austheir.html

Then u wake up
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:22am On May 02, 2013
c.fours:

that's the point. if english isn't "that biased" then I can't stand to think how bad some other languages are. LOL
well, I speak english and read and write exclu

sively in english so i'll focus on english.
My point is you are the one who should stop whining there's is no bias in English which can give u sleepless nights
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:23am On May 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Are u for the change of women to womyn grin grin grin

lol. there is nothing wrong with women. for others who have a problem with it and are acting to make a change, more grease to their elbows.

I do see a problem with this sentence though:
"I believe it's strictly a matter between the patient and his doctor."
why should the default be an assumption that the person is always male? why is this the language convention to make the default personal pronouns male?
yea, you should use "their" or "them" in place of "his" or "him" I think that is a better choice. it is neutral.
if you want to be a more radical feminist, use "her"! cool
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:26am On May 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:
My point is you are the one who should stop whining there's is no bias in English which can give u sleepless nights

how r u different from all the white folks who claim that there is no such thing as racism just because it doesn't affect their lives.

why should Mr refer to all men. whereas women are categorized based on marriage. Miss vs Mrs?

at least in some more developed societies, "Ms." is used for all women. cool
check this out--> http://www.msmagazine.com/
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:28am On May 02, 2013
I can go on ALL day talking about sexist language conventions. it's a deep issue that's so normalized to the extent that nobody notices it. it just is accepted as the way things are/ should be.

and language is just ONE issue out of many.
so you can understand what bukatyne means when she says that its an "orientation" thing rather than just a physical oppression or single "rights" issue. it's much deeper than that.

1 Like

Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:29am On May 02, 2013
Tufia, enough with your dumb links grin grin grin
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:32am On May 02, 2013
c.fours:
I can go on ALL day talking about sexist language conventions. it's a deep issue that's so normalized to the extent that nobody notices it. it just is accepted as the way things are/ should be.

and language is just ONE issue out of many.
so you can understand what bukatyne means when she says that its an "orientation" thing rather than just a physical oppression or single "rights" issue. it's much deeper than that.

So deeper that you cant give an explanation right?

Does him or Mr refrains you to have the same salary with a man?
The same rights?

Anyway pleep asked the good question. Why is the statue of liberty a woman?

Why do we say mother tongues, motherland etc?
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:36am On May 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

So deeper that you cant give an explanation.

I think i've done a lot of explaining on this thread. but like I said, it's much deeper than a single issue.
ex. you can't explain racism in just one bullet point. if you could, racism wouldn't exist today because all white would need to say is "what rights do you want" and create a law to give the rights to blacks (they've done that plenty of times). but we all know that racism is much deeper than just asking for a right.it involves changing people's thinking.
it's an ideology. sexism is an ideology.racism is an ideology.

An ideology is a set of conscious and unconscious ideas that constitute one's goals, expectations, and actions. An ideology is a comprehensive vision, a way of looking at things (compare worldview) as in several philosophical tendencies (see political ideologies), or a set of ideas proposed by the dominant class of a society to all members of this society (a "received consciousness" or product of socialization).

Ideologies are systems of abstract thought applied to public matters and thus make this concept central to politics. Implicitly every political or economic tendency entails an ideology whether or not it is propounded as an explicit system of thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideology
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:36am On May 02, 2013
If you dislike English go and create your language

Simple as that.

In Spanish black is negro which sounds like nigger(in English) and negre(in French) I don't see people whining about that?
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:39am On May 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: If you dislike English go and create your language

Simple as that.

In Spanish black is negro which sounds like nigger(in English) and negre(in French) I don't see people whining about that?

I love English language. doesn't mean I can't criticize it and do my part to change it.
LOL you don't need to tell me what black is in spanish or french. infact, negro is also black in english. but it was used in such a derogatory way that blacks fought against its use!! example of how blacks fought to change the way a word is used in english language. doesn't mean they hate english. but it isn't perfect.
and of course it would be impossible to create my own language hence why feminism exist to transform the sexism in society. we won't accept "go and die if you don't like it" NO. tongue cool that's what feminism is all about duh. we make changes.

1 Like

Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:44am On May 02, 2013
feminists make changes and act to the perpetual annoyance of misogynists who want to preserve and keep the status quo.
they r d ones who should go jump off a bridge if they don't like it.

1 Like

Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:48am On May 02, 2013
c.fours:

I love English language. doesn't mean I can't criticize it and do my part to change it.
LOL you don't need to tell me what black is in spanish or french. infact, negro is also black in english. but it was used in such a derogatory way that blacks fought against its use!! example of how blacks fought to change the way a word is used in english language. doesn't mean they hate english. but it isn't perfect.

Exactly my point languages have been modeled/ through history, this is what make their specificity/"beauty" those pseudo "flaws" make their originality
And stop comparing Apples with oranges duh

How is Mrs or miss derogatory? Aren't you the same one when called Mrs scream they are not married?
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:51am On May 02, 2013
c.fours:

and of course it would be impossible to create my own language hence why feminism exist to transform the sexism in society. we won't accept "go and die if you don't like it" NO. tongue cool that's what feminism is all about duh. we make changes.
You are so disconnected from the reality ,I feel like weeping for u. Do u really think people in Nigeria care about your miss , Mrs etc? Lol keep leaving in your Western world, here. In Africa we have bigger problems.

Instead of promoting your own language you are focused on how English should b for women lmao
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 3:52am On May 02, 2013
c.fours:
feminists make changes and act to the perpetual annoyance of misogynists who want to preserve and keep the status quo.
they r d ones who should go jump off a bridge if they don't like it.

Blah blah blaaa
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:54am On May 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

Exactly my point languages have been modeled/ through history, this is what make their specificity/"beauty" those pseudo "flaws" make their originality
And stop comparing Apples with oranges duh

How is Mrs or miss derogatory? Aren't you the same one when called Mrs scream they are not married?

no one said mrs and miss are derogarory. but the implication is that a woman becomes conscious of her marriage status. with those titles eliminated, women are more liberated and freer from societal pressures.
ex. in some work places in USA, the miss/mrs is completely eliminated. "Ms." is used for all women so there is no speculation as to who is married or not, who is higher ranking than another etc. i think language is powerful and can be used in ways that perpetuate sexism.
ex. there was a time when a married woman married to Mr. John Smith. will actually be called Mrs. John Smith. her own name completely obliterated!! nowadays in the west, many women are even choosing not to take their husband's last name. clearly there is a reason for that.
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:57am On May 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

Blah blah blaaa

cool you're welcome
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 3:59am On May 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:
You are so disconnected from the reality ,I feel like weeping for u. Do u really think people in Nigeria care about your miss , Mrs etc? Lol keep leaving in your Western world, here. In Africa we have bigger problems.

Instead of promoting your own language you are focused on how English should b for women lmao

I live in USA. not Nigeria.
besides, there are women like yemisi ransom-kuti who are renowned feminists doing radical work to improve the life and status of women in Africa. so what's ur beef. If I find myself living in Africa, it won't do anything to change my views.
yea of course the problem is bigger in africa. it's a third world continent for a reason. and middle east too. hmmm...I wonder why.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 4:07am On May 02, 2013
^^ that's why I said keep living in your western world, we are fine over there, we like our 3rd world continent
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 4:10am On May 02, 2013
I will have to cease to comment on this dumb thread after seeing this:
https://www.nairaland.com/1256721/women-should-submissive-husbands
*pinches nose and walks out of the room* lipsrsealed
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by Nobody: 4:12am On May 02, 2013
c.fours:
I will have to cease to comment on this dumb thread after seeing this:
https://www.nairaland.com/1256721/women-should-submissive-husbands
*pinches nose and walks out of the room* lipsrsealed

Who cares? Running away already? Anyway u won't b missed
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by pleep(m): 4:13am On May 02, 2013
this is what feminism has been reduced too whining about "his/her" rofl...

Thats the great descrimination
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by cfours: 4:15am On May 02, 2013
I personally will be keeping my last name when I get married. my husband can take my name if he wishes to do so. LOL
in addition to using the personal pronoun "their" in my speaking and writing.
this thread was useful afterall. it helped me make a decision. hahaha
and I hope it does the same for every woman that reads this topic grin
Re: Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! by pleep(m): 4:15am On May 02, 2013
hey C.fours why do woman want to be victims soooo fuckin bad? Don't you realize that if you took accountability and responsibility for yourself and your life there is nothing in your way?

Thats what great men and women have been doing since the begining of time... yell feminists need to try it sometime wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (45) (Reply)

Akobi Crescent, Surulere After Rain Today (Photo) / If You Don't Want People To Disrespect You, Stop Doing These 10 Things (Opinion) / See 10 Nigerians Who Are In Guinness Book Of Record.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.