Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,245 members, 7,836,165 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (42081 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:03am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

Mutations that cause cancer are mostly a very very very tiny part of the genome. If you ran a DNA fingerprint, it would still have the same profile as the carrier. That is why cancer cells taken from patients from way way back used to be labelled after the owner. Henrietta Lacks is a good example.

So davidylan are you saying cancer cells have the same DNA as the carrier or are you saying their DNA is different? Which is it?
Because I have never in my life heard that cancer cells have the same DNA as the carrier, this is very fantastic information indeed.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 12:04am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

you keep mentioning prevention as if u are trying to say something but ashamed to say. say what is on your mind. what do you mean by "prevention"
who should prevent rap.e? the ra.ped woman?
say it loud and proud what you mean by "PREVENTION" blame the woman outfront rather than trying to use lame codes.

again, refer to the republican rap.e advisory list.

Prevention of unwanted pregnancy

1. Abstinence, if that fails
2.use a condom, if that fails
3. Use OCPs, if that fails
4. Go to an expert after unprotected se-x

If ra.pe.d ; abuse; inc-est;
1.Seek immediate medical attention
2. Ask for help.

Is this difficult?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:05am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

anybody who hates women's rights is a misogynist.
you can be a non-feminist or indifferent feminism/women's rights.
but if you call yourself an anti-feminist and hate women's rights. then YES you are misogynist.

I hope you did not vote in the last election because without feminists u definitely wouldn't be able to.
if getting a dog is the worst vitriol u can use, then you FAIL. i've been called much worse than that as a feminist. try again.

and i'm not even going to ask you if you have read any of chimamada's book or if you read any books at all.

What sane rights are you actually clamoring for that the law has not taken care of?

You were the one who actually did the name-calling(a female misogynist)just because I didn't support your views!
I am not a Feminist because it has been taken to the extreme and so, does not make sense anymore! They seem lost and don't know what they are fighting for!

You sound like the atheists I argue with 'I am a christian because i don't read books'
Reading is not my favorite hobby because I prefer to code

I actually tried to read Chimamanda's books but like you I got bored and couldn't finish it!
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 12:07am On Jun 30, 2013
fellis:

So davidylan are you saying cancer cells have the same DNA as the carrier or are you saying their DNA is different? Which is it?
Because I have never in my life heard that cancer cells have the same DNA as the carrier, this is very fantastic information indeed.

It's the same DNA that just underwent some distortion but its basically the same DNA.

The fetus on the other hand has completely different DNA from the mother, different blood cells that don't mix.
It's a completely different individual.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:09am On Jun 30, 2013
fellis:

Abeg gerrout and stop disturbing me jor.

Proof you will not bring, you keep insisting that they are sympathetic and in 20 years time yada yada yada.

Gerrout.

Frankly im surprised at the sudden display of aggression from yourself
I will not respond to you any further

Thanks
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:09am On Jun 30, 2013
toshmann:

It's the same DNA that just underwent some distortion but its basically the same DNA.

Hahahahaha
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:11am On Jun 30, 2013
biolabee:

Frankly im surprised at the sudden display of aggression from yourself
I will not respond to you any further

Thanks

Please don't respond further biko, I don't like when people tell deliberate lies and are not even remorseful when they get caught.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 12:11am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

What sane rights are you actually clamoring for that the law has not taken care of?
I promise you wil NEVER get any straight answer for this question.

You were the one who actually did the name-calling(a female misogynist)just because I didn't support your views!
I am not a Feminist because it has been taken to the extreme and so, does not make sense anymore! They seem lost and don't know what they are fighting for!

Lolololol

You sound like the atheists I argue with 'I am a christian because i don't read books' grin grin grin
Reading is not my favorite hobby because I prefer to code cool

I actually tried to read Chimamanda's books but like you I got bored and couldn't finish it!

I've never read any of her books bc I'm more in love with history than any other thing. But I admire chimamanda anyways, I like her confidence but I don't always agree with her.
I don't think chimamanda resorts to name calling to make her points
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:14am On Jun 30, 2013
If she does not insult, she is not a feminist
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:14am On Jun 30, 2013
druid06:

Well, me saying thousands of women are currently holding the position of C.E.O's of great companies is an exaggeration on my side and I am sorry for that wrong thesis but what we can both agree on is that like men, women too rise into the peak of their respective careers..

As for political posts, I think each and everyone holding a significant post in the world including men got there by winning more votes. Are you saying elections should be cancelled and redone just because more women are not holding these political posts?. I don't get you.

So your basic point is women should be favored more in todays society? That's totally opposite of what feminism stands for.

I don't think women should be favored more in society. men and women should have EQUAL rights.
women's rights is about equal rights wink
get it right.

no one said elections should be cancelled and redone. stop putting words in my mouth.
but if you are asking my opinion on how to get more women to be politically involved,then u should ask me directly rather than putting words in my mouth.

besides, it wasn't too long ago that women didn't have any right at all to vote!! it's going to be a step by step process.no one is expecting the 'man' to hand women rights voluntarily. women will have to fight and work for it. that's sad but it's reality. that's why feminism exist.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:18am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

I don't think women should be favored more in society. men and women should have EQUAL rights.
get it right.

In 2013, you think men and women don't have equal rights?

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:20am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

You sound like the atheists I argue with 'I am a christian because i don't read books' grin grin grin

feminists have always been regarded as extremists!
of course it won't make sense to you.

I don't know how old you are but when you are young and in school, the textbooks paint a rosy picture of what feminists were like and how they fought for women's rights. what u don't hear is that they were treated much the same way and even worse as feminists are today.

feminism has always been rad, baby!!
no one is asking u to join. in fact, we probably would prefer that you don't. we don't want trojan horses in our midst.

I got bored by Chimanda's books too to be honest. I prefer non-fiction to fiction. The fiction I read are all classic works over 100yrs old. But I LOVE Adichie's speeches.
what part of her speech do you disagree with?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:21am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

Damn..... im feeling this poster
I have always asked this q.. wat are they fighting for exactly....
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:24am On Jun 30, 2013
fellis:

The genomic fingerprint is the same. The mutations that cause cancer make up a very very tiny part of the genome. If you have never "in your life" heard that cancer cells have the same DNA as the carrier then you should ask for a refund of your school fees.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:25am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

I don't think. I KNOW that men and women don't have equal rights.
do you think that black and whites have equal rights? (i'm assuming here that you live in the USA. if not, then u can ignore my question.)

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by druid06(m): 12:25am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

get it right.

no one said elections should be cancelled and redone. stop putting words in my mouth.
but if you are asking my opinion on how to get more women to be politically involved,then u should ask me directly rather than putting words in my mouth.

besides, it wasn't too long ago that women didn't have any right at all to vote!! it's going to be a step by step process.no one is expecting the 'man' to hand women rights voluntarily. women will have to fight and work for it. that's sad but it's reality. that's why feminism exist.

Well, I am confused here. What is it then that women want that they don't currently have?. What is the right/equal right that they are fighting for in the cause of feminism that they don't currently enjoy?.

You can agree with me that;

Women now have equal rights to vote.
Women can be politically involved.
Women can rise to the peak of their careers.
Women are no longer treated as emotional train wreck.
Women can now be breadwinners.
Women have their own sports.
Some industries even unfairly favor women to the detriments of men.
And so many others that I can't currently remember.

I agree with you that there was a yardstick and inequality to women in the past but those wrongs have currently been ammended. If you agree with me that today's society has accepted women into various thresholds, then what more do you guys wants. Personally, I just think women don't know what they want and women like you would keep stirring trouble all in the name of feminism and to play the victim.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:27am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

do you think that black and whites have equal rights? (i'm assuming here that you live in the USA. if not, then u can ignore my question.)

Using race as a red herring here ma'am. You're trying to compare apples with oranges.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 12:28am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:
also, are men supposed to dress 'ugly'? all people, male or female, should dress neatly.
besides the emphasis that women should spend a lot of time looking good wasn't always that way. there are periods in history when men put more focus on their looks than women. in fact, men in the 16th century europe are known to wear heels and fashionable clothes and wigs. u can see the remnants of this tradition in the wigs judges wear in courts and even in renaissance oil paintings.

the point is that women should be able to decide for themselves how they want to look. In puritan societies, in fact, women are banned from wearing make-up, jewelry or looking "good". they are forced to dress very plainly and drab.
this is also a way of repressing women by enforcing societal code of dressing or appearance on them. there are many ways to repress women.
else, how would u explain that in some societies women are pressured to look good. whereas in other societies, women have to look plain. keep in mind, no rule whatsoever applies to men who can look however they want!

gender roles are social constructs (man made) NOT biological.

Toshmann
Girl you know there's no law against dressing how you want to dress. So quit complaining and go shopping, pick anything you want and wear it. Nothing stops you. Stop complaining, that's all I'm saying. If you hate lipsticks, there is no law that says you must wear lipstick. Haba!

99cent
this is the same argument pro-rapists make. when a girl is Molested, they blame it on the girl and say things like "why weren't you covering up in a burqa" or "why were you walking down the street by yourself without a chaperone" etc. the Molester or intimate abuser goes scot free in Africa and may be even praised by other males .society condones intimate exploits by males and condemns women for the same. Africa as a continent has the highest rate of sexua.l violence in the world.
Molesting a woman is against the law. If anyone is found guilty he's going to jail regardless of whether the victim was wearing seductive clothes or not.

Toshmann
You want to be a man yet you can separate laws from talk. As far as the law is concerned if anyone is guilty of molestation he's a goner. Don't bother yourself with what bystanders say about the victim's clothes. It's called freedom of speech. Deal with it.

99cent
when there is a government and rule of law, males that impregnate women will be forced to bear responsibility in form of child support and other means. this is enforced in western countries. that's why women can wear whatever clothes they want and there is no intimate repression for women in western countries. they are not made to feel ashamed of their sex. men are held to the same level of responsibility.

toshmann
There's no law that stops you from seducing, sleeping with and getting pregnant for whichever man you like. Obviously you don't know the effect a woman's body has on a man. Because you are a woman. But since you feminists just want trouble, there is no law that stops you from seducing men.

also there is such thing as condoms, birth control pills, and abortions.

Toshmann
now I love condoms , dont like abortions though. It's the killing of unborn babies. I'm sorry but it's illegal to do that in Nigeria. You want feminism, I want human rights. Those unborn babies have the right to life too.

99cent
why are girls under pressure to get married? again you use the word girls and men on the same level.
are we still living in a world where 50yr old men marry 15yr old girls?
also, fertility rate and sexism have high correlation just so you know. if you visit a society where women are giving birth to 4-10 kids per woman, the level of sexism and horrible treatment of women will be much higher than societies where average number of kids per woman in around 2 kids (western countries!). that says a LOT.

Toshmann
again there's no law that forces women to get married. Stop worrying about what society expects from you and start worrying about what you want to do with yourself if its not illegal. No law says you must have 20kids. You decide with your husbands. Stop complaining.

99cent
can you post that statistic for me to see?
and who told you men "lead" in relationships? behind closed doors, at least 50% of relationships are led by women (all things being equal ex finances) leadership is mostly a personality trait. not a gender trait. Maybe in Africa where women are repressed and forced to act "meek" but if we went by nature, leadership will show in equal rates between men and women. ex. men who show leadership seen as leaders. whereas women who show leadership seen as "bitchy"
again, sexism at play.

Toshmann
Okay, there's no law that says men must lead in a relationship. When you meet your man, you can lead. If it works, hallelujah. The most important thing is what works, not what society expects or what Toshmann says. Quit complaining and start living

99cent
again, this is the pro-Molester argument you are making. a man is allowed to sit comfortably while a woman is made to assume contortions that very uncomfortable just to "protect" herself from men.
if urinating upwards is the most comfortable position for a woman to urinate. then YES women should urinate upwards. This is not about women becoming men. but about women gaining basic common sense rights that are withheld from them in sexist societies.

Toshmann
I hope you know there's no law that stops women from urinating upwards. I, Toshmann the great, will love to see women legs up trying to pee upwards
99cent
true. no one is asking that women become men. just challenging sexism which exists in our society.
may men don't want it. why should they? they are benefiting from the system and they will fight to protect the status quo.

toshmann
There's no law that establishes all you are complaining about. It's like me complaining that I'm in New York but I want to be in New Jersey. When all I could do was cross the Hudson River. Quit complaining and start living. Emancipate yourself from mental incarceration.

Nothing you complained about is established by any law. Yes, society has expectations. But if you don't like the expectation of the society all you need to do is do your own thing. As a young black man d'you know this society expects me to be a bad person? But I'm not bad and I'm not complaining. All I did was be good, go to school, be a great guy and hammer my girlfriends

Why don't you join us to fight for human rights. There issues like racism, domestic violence, equal protection under the law are addressed.

I rest my case. God bless y'all
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 3 Likes
truth hurts

A piece from page 3. Interesting piece
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:29am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

The genomic fingerprint is the same. The mutations that cause cancer make up a very very tiny part of the genome. If you have never "in your life" heard that cancer cells have the same DNA as the carrier then you should ask for a refund of your school fees.

You didn't answer the question I asked before;

Do cancer cells have the same DNA as their carrier? I just want a yes or no.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:30am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

yes, I could easily tell that you don't read. the more educated a woman is, the more likely she is to be a feminist. and it makes a lot of sense.

even many women in middle east and norther nigeria who are being oppressed will defend their system. it's like a fish living in a tank and thinking the world is made out of water and water only. they do not see that they are being oppressed until they leave their fish tank, see the outside world and realize how bad they have it. to them, it may be ok that women are being stoned. they have internalized their oppression.

now the educated women who read, who are accomplished and still are anti-feminists. those are the worst evil of all. akin to a house slave who despises the field slave.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:31am On Jun 30, 2013
fellis:

You didn't answer the question I asked before;

Do cancer cells have the same DNA as their carrier? I just want a yes or no.

The answer is a clear YES. The fact that you are asking makes me wonder... biology is a requisite for high school no?

Cancer results from unrepaired damage to DNA that then perpetuates itself in subsequent cycles of cell division. A hole in an orange does not make it an apple all of a sudden.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:33am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

feminists have always been regarded as extremists!
of course it won't make sense to you.

I don't know how old you are but when you are young and in school, the textbooks paint a rosy picture of what feminists were like and how they fought for women's rights. what u don't hear is that they were treated much the same way and even worse as feminists are today.

feminism has always been rad, baby!!
no one is asking u to join. in fact, we probably would prefer that you don't. we don't want trojan horses in our midst.

I got bored by Chimanda's books too to be honest. I prefer non-fiction to fiction. The fiction I read are all classic works over 100yrs old. But I LOVE Adichie's speeches.
what part of her speech do you disagree with?

Sis...
You've to do away with the name-calling to be taken seriously!!!

I think some of her personal experiences are false... They were tailored to fit her speech!

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:34am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

Using race as a red herring here ma'am. You're trying to compare apples with oranges.

can you explain more?

I think sexism is similar to racism and homophobia. it consists of a privileged group opressing a less priviledged one.
you will see that the arguments for both are similar.

in fact, the second feminist wave coincided with the black civil rights and gay rights movement in the 60s.
blacks, gays and women tend to vote along similar lines as well. coincidence much?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:34am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

Sis...

I think some of her personal experiences are false... They were tailored to fit her speech!

Thank you!!!
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:34am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

can you explain more?

I think sexism is similar to racism and homophobia. it consists of a privileged group opressing a less priviledged one.
you will see that the arguments for both are similar.

in fact, the second feminist wave coincided with the black civil rights and gay rights movement in the 60s.

gay rights movement in the 60s? Are you living under a rock?

The feminist movement was during the late 60s and early 70s. Infact it had a lot more in common with the anti-war movement than the civil rights movement. Do you think the white feminists of those days cared for your black skin?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:35am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

The answer is a clear YES. The fact that you are asking makes me wonder... biology is a requisite for high school no?

Cancer results from unrepaired damage to DNA that then perpetuates itself in subsequent cycles of cell division. A hole in an orange does not make it an apple all of a sudden.

Damaged DNA is the same thing as normal DNA? grin

Fascinating.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:36am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

Yea... I live in the U.S.A!!!
How do black and whites not have equal right!!!
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:36am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

Sis...

I think you need to start hitting the books and reading.
"trojan horse" is a metaphor not a name-calling! check your dictionary or pick up a book on greek mythology. seriously

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Horse
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:37am On Jun 30, 2013
if anything, u are the one who have called me names. but again, I have thick skin so I can handle it.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:38am On Jun 30, 2013
fellis:

Damaged DNA is the same thing as normal DNA? grin

Fascinating.

This is quite daft to be honest... no pun intended. Do you know how huge DNA truly is? Cancer can result from a single nucleotide mutation or at most a frame-shift mutation. If you ran a side by side DNA profile of a normal cell and a cancerous cell from the same individual... the profile would be an exact much. In most cases, it takes a long process of whole genome DNA sequencing to be able to pick out the cancer-causing mutation.

Many people just post without any idea what it is they talk about.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:38am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

Yea... I live in the U.S.A!!!
How do black and whites not have equal right!!!

CLASSIC grin
case closed.
and this is why some men believe that women are dumb. of course they prefer it that way. dumb women are easier to control.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:40am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

CLASSIC grin
case closed.

under the law, blacks and whites have equal rights. You can argue about individuals.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (42) (Reply)

Ikoyi, Victoria Island Clean-Up Begins, 36 Vehicles Impounded / Ngige Withdraws From 2023 Presidential Race (See The Letter) / Governor Udom Escapes Death As Church Building Collapses In Akwa Ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.