Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,110 members, 7,835,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (42080 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:41am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent: if anything, u are the one who have called me names. but again, I have thick skin so I can handle it.

That has been your 'stock-in-thread'(sic)
Wat does trojan horse have to do with the issue
She identified herself as not being a feminist
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:44am On Jun 30, 2013
biolabee:

That has been your 'stock-in-thread'(sic)
Wat does trojan horse have to do with the issue
She identified herself as not being a feminist

re-read my post where I mention trojan horse. and search for the context. context is key.

Metaphorically a "Trojan Horse" has come to mean any trick or stratagem that causes a target to invite a foe into a securely protected bastion or space. It is also associated with "malware" computer programs presented as useful or harmless to induce the user to install and run them.

she is woman. so she can be used by men as a trojan horse to penetrate the feminist space.
unless u are also assuming that I was calling her a computer malware undecided
in that case, I apologize. next time, I will use simple words when responding to your post and try not to confuse you too much with metaphors.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by druid06(m): 12:44am On Jun 30, 2013
@99cent, I don't think you're intelligent as you claim. Your thesis and argument on this matter are totally false. I just think you're one of those girls/women who enjoys attention and performance high so you make up this false claims so people could awe at your false intelligence if you even have one. Like I.Joan said, if you truly believe in today's world that women don't enjoy equal rights as men then you need to get your head examined. I think you need exposure.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:46am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

Yea... I live in the U.S.A!!!
How do black and whites not have equal right!!!

Y'all try to look for what is not there...

I didn't see this last sentence. now the comment is even funnier. grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:46am On Jun 30, 2013
druid06: @99cent, I don't think you're intelligent as you claim. Your thesis and argument on this matter are totally false. I just think you're one of those girls who enjoys attention and performance high so you make up this false claims so people could awe at your false intelligence. Like I.Joan as said, if you believe in today's world women don't enjoy equal rights as men then you need to get your head examined. I think you need exposure.

In order to keep the peace here i kept refraining myself from making the same comment. grin
Fellis talking about DNA as if it was garri just made me nearly through my laptop away in complete shock.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:47am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

re-read my post where I mention trojan horse. and search for the context. context is key.

Metaphorically a "Trojan Horse" has come to mean any trick or stratagem that causes a target to invite a foe into a securely protected bastion or space. It is also associated with "malware" computer programs presented as useful or harmless to induce the user to install and run them.

she is woman. so she can be used by men as a trojan horse to penetrate the feminist space.
in that case, I apologize. next time, I will use simple words when responding to your post and try not to confuse you too much with metaphors.

Why will she penetrate the feminist space
You seem to have a siege mentality - we versus them incl. Men n women

Funny
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 12:47am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

Sis...
You've to do away with the name-calling to be taken seriously!!!

I wish you luck grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:48am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

why would men need to penetrate the feminist space? when there are an abundance of other women out there who have their heads screwed on tight? grin Complete waste of time and space.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:48am On Jun 30, 2013
druid06: @99cent, I don't think you're intelligent as you claim. Your thesis and argument on this matter are totally false. I just think you're one of those girls/women who enjoys attention and performance high so you make up this false claims so people could awe at your false intelligence if you even have one. Like I.Joan said, if you truly believe in today's world that women don't enjoy equal rights as men then you need to get your head examined. I think you need exposure.

again, stop putting words in my mouth. I never claimed intelligence. clearly, u must have found that somewhere.
"performance high"? again you must have seen that somewhere.
but if you are trying to call me dumb, then I will tell u right off the bat that I am NOT dumb. i'm not one of those "girls" you hang around.

I will leave you to your machinations. but plz stop putting words in my mouth.
i'm still waiting for the list of thousands of women CEOs of global companies that you talk about.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:48am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

yes, I could easily tell that you don't read. the more educated a woman is, the more likely she is to be a feminist. and it makes a lot of sense.

even many women in middle east and norther nigeria who are being oppressed will defend their system. it's like a fish living in a tank and thinking the world is made out of water and water only. they do not see that they are being oppressed until they leave their fish tank, see the outside world and realize how bad they have it. to them, it may be ok that women are being stoned. they have internalized their oppression.

now the educated women who read, who are accomplished and still are anti-feminists. those are the worst evil of all. akin to a house slave who despises the field slave.

Why associate with something that is unnecessary?
Most people are indifferent to feminism (and not necessarily anti-feminists) because what you claim to fight for is not necessary here...
Both men and women have equal rights in my environment!

I will respect you guys if you move to India, Saudi Arabia..etc and fight for women instead of fighting men online!

3 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by druid06(m): 12:50am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

In order to keep the peace here i kept refraining myself from making the same comment. grin
Fellis talking about DNA as if it was garri just made me nearly through my laptop away in complete shock.

Yeah, I saw an argument about the DNA of a cancerous cell not being the same as that of it's host. I know I am no rocket scientist but I have some common sense. I just shrugged and laughed at that comment.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 12:51am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

Most people are indifferent to feminism (and not necessarily anti-feminists) because what you claim to fight for is not necessary here...

I will respect you guys if you move to India, Saudi Arabia..etc and fight for women instead of fighting men online!

Saudi Arabia shocked grin

Now that is where feminists are needed grin
Abeg make una no go there o. grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:53am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

it's ok to be indifferent to feminism. I was for a while and I still am once in a while.
but it is dangerous. holocaust happened because millions of people were indifferent. lots of horrible things happen because people are indifferent. the horrible things don't just start out of nowhere. it builds up gradually and when there is no opposition to it, it picks up steam.

but when you are anti-feminist you are coming from a place of hatred for women's rights. I hope your post is a way to clarify that you are not anti-feminist but rather only indifferent to the idea.

i'm glad men and women have equal rights in your environment. thank the feminists who made it possible. that USA is not india or Saudi Arabia. and the feminists who are continuing to fight to keep women's rights from being taken away.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:54am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

again, stop putting words in my mouth. I never claimed intelligence. clearly, u must have found that somewhere.
"performance high"? again you must have seen that somewhere.
but if you are trying to call me dumb, then I will tell u right off the bat that I am NOT dumb. i'm not one of those "girls" you hang around.

I will leave you to your machinations. but plz stop putting words in my mouth.
i'm still waiting for the list of thousands of women CEOs of global companies that you talk about.

perhaps because fewer women are interested in being CEOs than men? there are far more white female CEOs than black male CEOs... perhaps your fight is rather misplaced. Maybe you should start with fighting for black rights first and leave feminism to white women who at least dont have the "disadvantage" of skin color like you do.

3 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:54am On Jun 30, 2013
toshmann:

Saudi Arabia shocked grin

Now that is where feminists are needed grin
Abeg make una no go there o. grin

i'm pretty sure Nigeria is not that far off the list. nigeria may be worse sef.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:55am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

it's ok to be indifferent to feminism. I was for a while and I still am once in a while.
but it is dangerous. holocaust happened because millions of people were indifferent. lots of horrible things happen because people are indifferent. the horrible things don't just start out of nowhere. it builds up gradually and when there is no opposition to it, it picks up steam.

but when you are anti-feminist you are coming from a place of hatred for women's rights. I hope your post is a way to clarify that you are not anti-feminist but rather only indifferent to the idea.

i'm glad men and women have equal rights in your environment. thank the feminists who made it possible. that USA is not india or Saudi Arabia. and the feminists who are continuing to fight to keep women's rights from being taken away.

you mean we are going to be herding women to gas chambers next? shocked cheesy Now this thread has devolved into desperate mudslinging.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:56am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

perhaps because fewer women are interested in being CEOs than men? there are far more white female CEOs than black male CEOs... perhaps your fight is rather misplaced. Maybe you should start with fighting for black rights first and leave feminism to white women who at least dont have the "disadvantage" of skin color like you do.

sure. blacks are also very uninterested in education and success. most of them like jail environment. in fact, many of them enjoyed slavery and were loyal to their masters.
as a matter of fact, even in Nigeria, imagine nigeria will be a better place if we were still colonized don't u think?

silly senseless argument that even u know you are cringing as u type it grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 12:58am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

you mean we are going to be herding women to gas chambers next? shocked cheesy Now this thread has devolved into desperate mudslinging.

dramatic much?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:58am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

sure. blacks are also very uninterested in education and success. most of them like jail environment. in fact, many of them enjoyed slavery and were loyal to their masters.
as a matter of fact, even in Nigeria, imagine nigeria will be a better place if we were still colonized don't u think?

silly senseless argument that even u know you are cringing as u type it grin

Actually i had no idea what you were responding to. Blacks, education, rights... help me out here. You seem to just go off on a tangent that has little to do with the post you quote.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:59am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

dramatic much?

Well you were the one comparing our silence to the silence that led to the holocaust. So let me ask you... dramatic much?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:59am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

Ouch!,
Afghanistan is not a bad place
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 12:59am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

Lol grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:00am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

Well you were the one comparing our silence to the silence that led to the holocaust. So let me ask you... dramatic much?

ok. good for you. what do u mean by "our silence"?
I don't see u being silent here. you are as anti-feminist as they come. I bet you could have been one of those men burning the old women in Kenya for being "witches". *puke*
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:01am On Jun 30, 2013
biolabee:

Ouch!,
Afghanistan is not a bad place

they don't have feminism there. it's a great place for your kind
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 1:01am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

Actually i had no idea what you were responding to. Blacks, education, rights... help me out here. You seem to just go off on a tangent that has little to do with the post you quote.

Dont forget to add greek mythology.....
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 1:02am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

they don't have feminism there. it's a great place for your kind

I think u can make an impact there...
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 1:03am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

ok. good for you. what do u mean by "our silence"?
I don't see u being silent here. you are as anti-feminist as they come. I bet you could have been one of those men burning the old women in Kenya for being "witches". *puke*

Lolololol grin
Davidylan FBI is coming after you grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:04am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

Oh, lest I forget, if you want to look at a place that supports equal gender rights even more than USA, then look at the Scandinavian countries, especially Iceland.
they also have the best education and health care system in the world too! just so you can tell that children benefit a ton also from women having equal rights.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:04am On Jun 30, 2013
99cent:

Feminism lost its meaning along the way!...
If I was an adult in the 60's I would have fought for women's rights because it made sense then and it was a just cause with a well defined meaning!
But now, what exactly are you fighting for?
... It's all garbage!!!
Nothing is stopping any woman from doing anything she wants to do now! So, what are you actually fighting for?

3 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 1:05am On Jun 30, 2013

Points i have asked you

- Where in Nigeria is the widespread practice of labelling widows as witches,
- If you want to use, how frequent are widows called witches
- Why is it so easy to abuse others who share different opinions from yours, on this same thread you have called people foolish, defeated, misogynist, senseless , haba!!

Questions raised for 99cent
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:05am On Jun 30, 2013
toshmann:

Lolololol grin
Davidylan FBI is coming after you grin

i couldnt even respond to her post. I had no idea what she was talking about. grin She just seems to be posting sha... no regard for logical flow.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:06am On Jun 30, 2013
I.Joan:

Feminism lost its meaning along the way!...
If I was an adult in the 60's I would have fought for women's rights because it made sense then and it was a just cause with a well defined meaning!
But now, what exactly are you fighting for?
... It's all garbage!!!
Nothing is stopping any woman from doing anything she wants to do now! So, what are you actually fighting for?

Abi o!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (42) (Reply)

Defence Headquarter Declares Airforce Alpha Jet Missing / Fashola Spent N139million On Two Boreholes - Lagos Government / Nationwide Topless March On June 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.