Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,739 members, 7,955,813 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:56 PM

DV 2014 Winners Meet Here - Travel (201) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here (435795 Views)

US VISA LOTTERY,DV-2014 Program-online Registration! / DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / Dv 2012 Result Is Out ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) ... (264) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by ukemeglitter: 2:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
wow!!!
@ItyRoyal thank you very much, its been a while though,

Xup, Hope all is fine.

Happy New Year in Advance

ItyRoyal:

Welcome back @Ukemeglitter....Compliments of the season.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by ItyRoyal(m): 3:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
ukemeglitter: wow!!!
@ItyRoyal thank you very much, its been a while though,

Xup, Hope all is fine.

All is well my Man! i wish you a new year filled with great blessings IJN - Amen.

cheers.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by exteababa(m): 4:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
komakan: Anyway, I can see many pple prefered d idea of new thread. Lets give a trial, may God be with us.
y'all are just ancious. theres no heed to create any new thread, dv 2014 isnt the first set, if others didnt create y should we? if you guys go tru dv 2013 thread alone u will get all infos that u need.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by komakan(m): 5:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
exteababa:
y'all are just ancious. theres no heed to create any new thread, dv 2014 isnt the first set, if others didnt create y should we? if you guys go tru dv 2013 thread alone u will get all infos that u need.
I suggest we should move ahead not to stop at a point where Dv 2013 stopped. Atleast, It will give d opportunity to switch to ur favourite.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by exteababa(m): 5:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
Obatide:
or should I create a thread for this? Your advice pls
1. i will advice u not to carry any food at all, cos of immigration checks, not only at lagos but at your point of entry, most white folks dont know anything about our african food, and i bet u dont want any wahala....and most of these foods are here in african stores. there garri, dried fish, poundo, anytn u want. save yourself of immigration trouble and heavy luggage .
2. its winter already and its very cold, so get your boot, winter jacket, head warmer as jjc u can get gloves too cos u dont want to get sick atall, medical bills here is just too high. get thick long socks too. ALSO expect cold in your aircraft
3. career in USA, number 1 is any course thats medical 2. IT courses 3. Engineering, then others follow..........
4. driving procedure, i you have naija DL go with it, it may save you some money and test. if not your host will direct you to a DDS office where u will get your manual free, before you can do a road test u will need your SSN and state ID ( requirements vary from state to state) and immigration documents. you will do a computer test first then if u pass u will do a road test.
5. my dad is my host so am at home. but 1 thing about hosts is, here in USA, everybody bears his/her cross. so over dependence on a host can lead to 'throw out'. you can assist in paying some lil bills such as water, cable, electricity........etc, based on your capacity. but be smart, the more money u put down the more you host may depend on you too.
6.flight booking. i did direct flight with delta airlines and it was just smooth. remember to keep your brown envelop in u hand luggage, bring it out at your point of entry so they can know your 'special immigrant' wink and give you due service
last advice. be ready to come to USA only when u are ready, i.e be ready to study immediately you land or be ready to work, no room for 'iranu'
WELCOME TO AMERICA!

5 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by fancywendy(m): 6:35pm On Dec 30, 2013
exteababa:
1. i will advice u not to carry any food at all, cos of immigration checks, not only at lagos but at your point of entry, most white folks dont know anything about our african food, and i bet u dont want any wahala....and most of these foods are here in african stores. there garri, dried fish, poundo, anytn u want. save yourself of immigration trouble and heavy luggage .
2. its winter already and its very cold, so get your boot, winter jacket, head warmer as jjc u can get gloves too cos u dont want to get sick atall, medical bills here is just too high. get thick long socks too. ALSO expect cold in your aircraft
3. career in USA, number 1 is any course thats medical 2. IT courses 3. Engineering, then others follow..........
4. driving procedure, i you have naija DL go with it, it may save you some money and test. if not your host will direct you to a DDS office where u will get your manual free, before you can do a road test u will need your SSN and state ID ( requirements vary from state to state) and immigration documents. you will do a computer test first then if u pass u will do a road test.
5. my dad is my host so am at home. but 1 thing about hosts is, here in USA, everybody bears his/her cross. so over dependence on a host can lead to 'throw out'. you can assist in paying some lil bills such as water, cable, electricity........etc, based on your capacity. but be smart, the more money u put down the more you host may depend on you too.
6.flight booking. i did direct flight with delta airlines and it was just smooth. remember to keep your brown envelop in u hand luggage, bring it out at your point of entry so they can know your 'special immigrant' wink and give you due service
last advice. be ready to come to USA only when u are ready, i.e be ready to study immediately you land or be ready to work, no room for 'iranu'
WELCOME TO AMERICA!
Thanks Bro.More greece to your elbow.
My cousin is a paramilitary officer and he as gone through some military training in here in Nigeria,is also one of the 2014 Dv winner , so is interested in working over there as Navy or military officer but His concern now is that is 35years old. He needs advice. from you and other experienced people living in the state.
Happy New year in Advance .
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by candytos: 6:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
exteababa:
WELCOME TO AMERICA!

Thanks for ur advice, but I beg to disagree on ur advice on bringing food to US, bring in as much food as u can afford and carry, the only food u migt be challenged on is chicken content food. As a new immigrant u are given a lot of prefference not given to other travellers. Bringing in African food will endear u to your hosts if they are Africans.
I have a family of five and we are entitled to 10bags of 23Kg so will fill 3bags or more with food. As a non immigrant I have always filled one one or two of my travelling bags with food n never had problems with immigration in US only the over Zealous immigration in nigeria try to cause problem n with smal change u go through.

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by exteababa(m): 7:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
candytos:

Thanks for ur advice, but I beg to disagree on ur advice on bringing food to US, bring in as much food as u can afford and carry, the only food u migt be challenged on is chicken content food. As a new immigrant u are given a lot of prefference not given to other travellers. Bringing in African food will endear u to your hosts if they are Africans.
I have a family of five and we are entitled to 10bags of 23Kg so will fill 3bags or more with food. As a non immigrant I have always filled one one or two of my travelling bags with food n never had problems with immigration in US only the over Zealous immigration in nigeria try to cause problem n with smal change u go through.
no problem bro smiley. we all are advising based on our experience, so there might be diffrences
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by exteababa(m): 7:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
fancywendy:
Thanks Bro.More grease to your elbow.
My cousin is a paramilitary officer and he as gone through some military training in here in Nigeria,is also one of the 2014 Dv winner , so is interested in working over there as Navy or military officer but His concern now is that is 35years old. He needs advice. from you and other experienced people living in the state.
Happy New year in Advance .
http://www.navy.com/joining/qualifications.html
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by kevweflex(m): 7:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
ukemeglitter: wow!!! its good to be back again

Same here. Where have you been? I'm back fully now.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by olutola1: 8:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
smiley Happy to be back on page 200th of our beloved thread. A ku imura odun tuntun...a ba wa l'ayo ati alaafia, a san wa s'ire ati idunnu. Happy Year Twenty Fourteen!
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by diskindgod: 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
Obatide:
or should I create a thread for this? Your advice pls
I support the idea of creating a new thread based on these premises;
1. DV Visa issue can be categorised into stages viz Registration stage, Pre-interview, Post-interview and New life in America stages. Based on this, a thread should address each of these stages.
2. It will direct one to where he can get his or her issue resolved. E.g fancywendy just asked to know if his 35yrs DV winner uncle can work with US military. This kind of issue can easily be found or addressed in the Life in US thread.
3.This will increase bonding, sense of belonging and members participation. What I mean is, most people jettison DV thread after they are settled in the US. But with the creation of this thread, members will be made active.
4. It will make the whole stuff a graduated process. That is, from one level of information to the other.

2 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by kevweflex(m): 9:24pm On Dec 30, 2013
ItyRoyal:

@Obatide: first of all i want to thank you for this ingenuity....the mere fact that you are thinking ahead shows you have the welfare of our people at heart. however, i must say that i love the opinions of my fellow forumites. the ones for and the ones against creating a new thread. But let's attempt to marry the two schools of thought in these summaries....
1. the forumites that don't want a new thread are saying so because they don't want to miss out from the rich experience of others that have scaled thru interview and would be more concerned with the issues Obatide raised. in other words, they still prefer every info/forumites here as one family without diversion of attention and focus.
2. those that want a new thread created are also saying so not because they want to get out of this thread...but because they want the originality of this thread preseverved, and the focus to remain helping forumites out with interview preparations and success.

My Opinion:
1. We cannot overemphasis the usefulness of this thread to the several DV winners so this thread with all contributors should remain until the last forumite is interviewed successfully.
2. the suggested thread may be created to address those very important issues raised in Obatide's write up while we are still here. it will help eliminate unnecessary mix up and confusion if it is created to discuss different issues and also serve as a forum that would still unite us after 2014 immigrants have all moved to the States.
3. i want to make a special plea not just to Obatide but to all other forumites especially those that have successfully had their interviews not to abandon this thread for those of us that are yet to be current. Let the new thread be like a resource centre where we go and get specific info about any post interview need..............it's just my opinion!

Nice marriage of opinions. The sentence that is bold has been something I have also been thinking of. It's a trend which if possible can be reduced to as low as reasonable possible (ALARP). I think it's not deliberate, but I believe time is of essence when settling in over there the first time.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by kevweflex(m): 9:37pm On Dec 30, 2013
exteababa:
WELCOME TO AMERICA!

Greetings.
Love this.
Cheers
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by samolaniyi: 10:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
many people had stated one or two reasons why we should not open another thread for the discussion,having said that,i think we should not open another thread for this one reason:many members and user /viewers only that are already in US may not be aware of this new thread. .However,those winner already in US would be the major contributor to the thread,and if they cannot contribute to the thread,the purpose would have been defeated.This is just my opinion.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by samolaniyi: 10:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
exteababa:
WELCOME TO AMERICA!

Thanks for the information.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by akos123: 10:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
Hi Everyone,
My wife won the visa lottery and we have been invited for an interview slated for Jan 10.I have gone through the checklist and have all the requirements but except the form 1-134.Please fellow NL is this form compulsory,If yes how do i go about it?Also being a beneficiary do i need to provide evidence of support.
Thanks you all whilst i count on your earliest positive response(s)
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Obatide(m): 10:42pm On Dec 30, 2013
akos123: Hi Everyone,
My wife won the visa lottery and we have been invited for an interview slated for Jan 10.I have gone through the checklist and have all the requirements but except the form 1-134.Please fellow NL is this form compulsory,If yes how do i go about it?Also being a beneficiary do i need to provide evidence of support.

Congratulations ahead of your successful interview.

Form I-134 is Affidavit of support (http://www.uscis.gov/forms) and if you are from Nigeria, it’s not required.
Comprehensive list of Documents required from NIGERIANS are as follows:

Principal Applicant:
1. Second Appointment Letter
2. Intl passport
3. Birth Certificate
4. Marriage Cert. ( where applicable)
5.Police certificate
6. Medical Report
7. Academic Certificate
8. 2 x2 passport photos (3)
9. Processing fee of $330 or Naira equivalent rate at 165 Naira to a Dollar
10. A set of photocopies of the above listed except Medical
And any info you seem could be additional information for u.

Beneficiaries:
1. Int'l passport
2. Birth cert
3. Police Report (if above 16yrs old)
4. Medical Report
5. 2by2 passports (3)
6. Processing fee of $330 each
7. Photocopy of all above except Medical
Wishing you all the best as I believe this is helpful
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by samolaniyi: 10:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
akos123: Hi Everyone,

As a dv winner in Nigeria and Africa ,you and your spouse do not need form 1-134.its not a prerequisite for Africans
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by pjogutum1: 6:52am On Dec 31, 2013
Pls. Come with your money to the US, even if you are going to stay with your parent or relation, because they can wakeup one day and ask you to leave, lts no joke. For family people with two children or more leave your family behind and come first accept you have up to $4000 on you to pay six months rent or you and your family will regret why you came to the US everybody here is crazy remember,Americans do not keep people in their homes. If not that I had money on me, i and my family would have been outside by now but thank God we got a one bedroom apartment in Dallas. Merry Christmas and Happy new year in advance as you join us in the United States of America to fulfill your dreams, thanks and God bless you all. Prince reporting from Dallas Texas.

2 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by komakan(m): 7:14am On Dec 31, 2013
pjogutum1: Pls. Come with your money to the US, even if you are going to stay with your parent or relation, because they can wakeup one day and ask you to leave, lts no joke. For family people with two children or more leave your family behind and come first accept you have up to $4000 on you to pay six months rent or you and your family will regret why you came to the US everybody here is crazy remember,Americans do not keep people in their homes. If not that I had money on me, i and my family would have been outside by now but thank God we got a one bedroom apartment in Dallas. Merry Christmas and Happy new year in advance as you join us in the United States of America to fulfill your dreams, thanks and God bless you all. Prince reporting from Dallas Texas.
You are very right. D last time I travelled to US Dallas Texas to visit my sister, there was an issue like that. A man came Dallas with his fa
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by komakan(m): 7:28am On Dec 31, 2013
pjogutum1: Pls. Come with your money to the US, even if you are going to stay with your parent or relation, because they can wakeup one day and ask you to leave, lts no joke. For family people with two children or more leave your family behind and come first accept you have up to $4000 on you to pay six months rent or you and your family will regret why you came to the US everybody here is crazy remember,Americans do not keep people in their homes. If not that I had money on me, i and my family would have been outside by now but thank God we got a one bedroom apartment in Dallas. Merry Christmas and Happy new year in advance as you join us in the United States of America to fulfill your dreams, thanks and God bless you all. Prince reporting from Dallas Texas.
You are very right. D last time I travelled to US, Dallas Texas to visit my sister, there was an issue like that. A man was stranded in America with his family but with d help of God my sister used her documents to secured a room apartment for them. Honestly, you hardly see who will give out a penny in America. It's not everything one must talk. Americans will meet you on d way and smile but they are deadly. We are not organise here in Nigeria that is only problem. Anyway, everyone has his/her own luck. May Almighty Allah favour us.

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 31, 2013
exteababa:
WELCOME TO AMERICA!
Thanks for the info, awesome!
Pls is there any airline that goes to Florida from Lagos, Nigeria?
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by robonski16: 8:14am On Dec 31, 2013
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by timimoyegun(m): 9:13am On Dec 31, 2013
robonski16: Hello

For those who have done their medicals how much did it cost and also NPC birth certificate and police report.. Thanks

Hi, for NPC Attestation of Age =N3000 maximum
Police Certificate = N3000
Medical fee can only be known only wen u get there.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by ukemeglitter: 9:18am On Dec 31, 2013
wow!!!

@kevwe_flex you too long time ooo, Xup, how's life there?

For me, I've been on Leave from work, but am back now.

kevwe_flex:

Same here. Where have you been? I'm back fully now.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by kevweflex(m): 9:27am On Dec 31, 2013
Good. You've joined your family in Dallas. How's life over there? Tried calling you but unreachable, don't think it's because you have left Cali.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Obatide(m): 9:43am On Dec 31, 2013
Greeting to Everybody
Thanks for the intelligent we have all displayed to analyze one of my posts, I duly appreciate both reactions, at least, it makes people to contribute and share their honest feeling, God bless us all.
In summary
1. It shows we are all one big family and need more information to succeed on this journey whilst keeping in touch as mates even in America.
2. Those who argued against creation of the new thread, said so not to abandon this current one while those in support share that too, but in addition, they considered rules guiding posting on Nl as well.
What prompts me to suggest a thread for ‘that’ purpose are:
I Observed that
1. Most of members who have had their visas approved are not that active on the thread unlike their activities before interview except very few of them. Do u notice that too?
2. This thread, ‘2014 Dv winners meet here’ deals with necessary process needed to have a successful interview
3. The thread; ‘Diversity visa immigrant? Welcome to America’ contains information we need after arriving America (I have been a regular poster there too, pls read). Hence, the stage between Successful approval of visa and Arrival in USA has not been comprehensively discussed like the two mentioned threads.
4. Most of 2013 people do try their best to assist on information there but work don’t give them that total freedom as in my personal chat with some of them to ensure they contribute regularly on 2014 thread, you will hear something like ‘You wouldn’t understand until you get here, because time is money here in America, but I do reply those who mailed memy concern is what happen to people who don’t have their mail or social medial handle but need such info too?
5. There is need to graduate the processes, which I believe will keep us together. Say
a. 2014 Dv winners meet here; process towards interview
b. Yet to be created thread; planning Migration after successful Interview
c. Diversity visa immigrant? Welcome to America; settling down in USA
My submission
1. I appeal and promise that this thread will not suffer as a result of graduated process
2. Having a graduated process will bond us together the more and give each segment a full sense of belonging
3. There will not be deviation from Subject matters of each thread; hence NL rule will be kept.
Conclusion
I have no inferior motive behind creation of the thread and don’t think NL pays those who have created topics before, so my motive is to enable us rub mind together on every stage of the process to avoid extortions and exploitations by Agents.
Therefore, I suggest that if anybody could edit this topic; ‘Preparation for Migration after Diversity visa Approval’ before it’s finally created, I will appreciate it.

Thanks and Wishing you all a Happy and Properous Year 2014!

3 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by robonski16: 9:51am On Dec 31, 2013
timimoyegun:

Hi, for NPC Attestation of Age =N3000 maximum
Police Certificate = N3000
Medical fee can only be known only wen u get there.

Thanks for ur prompt response.. Lastly where can I do the NPC, police report, and medicals.. Thanks a million..

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by komakan(m): 10:06am On Dec 31, 2013
Obatide: Greeting to Everybody
Thanks for the intelligent we have all displayed to analyze one of my posts, I duly appreciate both reactions, at least, it makes people to contribute and share their honest feeling, God bless us all.
In summary
1. It shows we are all one big family and need more information to succeed on this journey whilst keeping in touch as mates even in America.
2. Those who argued against creation of the new thread, said so not to abandon this current one while those in support share that too, but in addition, they considered rules guiding posting on Nl as well.
I Observed that
1. Most of members who have had their visas approved are not that active on the thread unlike their activities before interview except very few of them. Do u notice that too?
2. This thread, ‘2014 Dv winners meet here’ deals with necessary process needed to have a successful interview
3. The thread; ‘Diversity visa immigrant? Welcome to America’ contains information we need after arriving America (I have been a regular poster there too, pls read). Hence, the stage between Successful approval of visa and Arrival in USA has not been comprehensively discussed like the two mentioned threads.
4. Most of 2013 people do try their best to assist on information there but work don’t give them that total freedom as in my personal chat with some of them to ensure they contribute regularly on 2014 thread, you will hear something like ‘You wouldn’t understand until you get here, because time is money here in America, but I do reply those who mailed me’ my concern is what happen to people who don’t have their mail but need such info too?
5. There is need to graduate the processes, which I believe will keep us together. Say
My submission
1. I appeal and promise that this thread will not suffer as a result of graduated process
2. Having a graduated process will bond us together the more and give each segment a full sense of belonging
3. There will not be deviation from Subject matters of each thread; hence NL rule will be kept.
Conclusion
I have no inferior motive behind creation of the thread and don’t think NL pays those who have created topics before, so my motive is to enable us rub mind together on every stage of the process to avoid extortions and exploitations by Agents.
Therefore, I suggest that if anybody could edit this topic; ‘Preparation for Migration after Diversity visa Approval’ before it’s finally created, I will appreciate it.

I suggest STEPS TO MIGRATE AFTER DV APPROVAL.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by ukemeglitter: 10:09am On Dec 31, 2013
@Obatide:

You've said it and I am in support. It will not be that because 2013 DV thread didn't bring a nice idea like this doesn't mean we can't accomplish it.

Moreover, I think its a matured idea.

Let's go ahead and create a nice one.

Obatide: Greeting to Everybody
In summary
I Observed that
4. Most of 2013 people do try their best to assist on information there but work don’t give them that total freedom as in my personal chat with some of them to ensure they contribute regularly on 2014 thread, you will hear something like ‘You wouldn’t understand until you get here, because time is money here in America, but I do reply those who mailed me’ my concern is what happen to people who don’t have their mail but need such info too?
My submission
Conclusion

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by ItyRoyal(m): 10:38am On Dec 31, 2013
@Thanks for this exhautive exposition....i give it to you that you are a true leader....thanks for not imposing a new thread on us but seeking the opinion and carrying everyone along. like i said in my earlier post on the subject matter, i do believe that creating a new thread to handle specific topics like the suggested one will not only fine tune our focus but will also bond us together even after we have all arrived America. Having said this, i suggest that Obatide can go ahead to create the new thread and make an elaborate publicity on the other relevant threads so that members will be fully aware of this thread and make their contributions and share their much coveted experiences with the forumites here.

@Obatide: since majority has accepted the creation of a new thread....please go ahead and adopt the topic you have suggested because it passes the message across to even a novice....truth is if you leave the topic for all forumites to edit or suggest....we may find ourselves in another dilemma. my good friend @komakan was the first to react to this post and he has also suggested a sound topic so by the time everyone of us will suggest, it might cause another logjam on which topic to name the new thread.....so my opinion is adopt "PREPARATION FOR MIGRATION AFTER DIVERSITY VISA APPROVAL!"

My plea however....let all active members of this thread whose visas have been approved not abandon this thread please.

god bless us as i wish everyone a wonderful new year ahead.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) ... (264) (Reply)

Main Reasons Many Are Refused Visas / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.