Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London (21405 Views)

Oba Of Lagos Akiolu In The Streets Of London Holding Bread (Photos) / Nigerian Born Kate Anolue, Is The New Mayor Of Enfield, London / How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 04, 2013
coogar:

it's hard for nigerians to keep it real in the UK and do the same again in nigeria. nigerians are practically living a double-life out here. majority of the nigerians you see here siphon 80% of their income to nigeria to secure properties or take care of dependent relatives. such expenses put a dent on their social life here - my barber has been here for about 10 years, he stays in a shared house like a pauper but he's completed his house in lagos. his next project? to build another house and rent it out - that's the mentality!

Who doesn't do that? - most Asians do that including the ones who have been here for generations... That's why most of them are/were raised to speak their language and live within the consciousness of their culture(s)... There are Asians born in the UK who can't even speak English properly - that's how connected they're to their country... Go to Birmigham and Bradford and you'll meet tons of them over there...

We just don't know how to create wealth and there's absolutely no excuse for that...

2 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:
What a load of rubbish. I don't know which Nigerians YOU mix with in the UK but the vast majority of Nigerians are hardworking, responsible, with many high earners, students, entrepreneurs, homeowners, and highly educated.

Maybe you should change the crowd you hang with.

As for Asians, they have even more parties and attend clubs more than Nigerians if you knew anything about them.

Utter tosh... I'm talking creating wealth, not working a job, mate...

Is basic English too hard for you to comprehend? undecided
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by BankuTilapia: 3:37pm On May 04, 2013
Only a nigerian will come up wit such nonsense witout any facts.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by asha80(m): 3:44pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

undecided
shymexx:

how can we create wealth when we prefer enjoyment and shayo.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by BankuTilapia: 3:45pm On May 04, 2013
Nigerians are too phucking loud, u brag about things u shld be ashamed of. Dis is a cow dung story n even if diz is true how many of dem r living legally. grin cheesy
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by spikesC(m): 3:45pm On May 04, 2013
asha 80: undecidedhow can we create wealth when we prefer enjoyment and shayo.

errrm...talk about yourself. Thank you wink
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

Bro, Africans arent Asians. Asians have an old and sustained culture of discipline and hardwork. Unlike Africans who focus more on comfort, bloated self-image than wealth-creation. kindly point to any African demographic doing well in the UK. Like you clearly pointed out, we have real cultural and psychological issues when it comes to creating REAL wealth. Africans especially are totally cursed with corruption and mental laziness, and thats why the only thing we market and sell is either Jesus or religion. But on another note, boys in the UK are slamming loads of properties here at home. So far so good, Ive lost counts of clients that have purchased and built properties through my firm. I work with a group, we come down to London often to throw seminars and educate Nigerians about the importance of investing at home, as it is cheaper and the ROI is far more attractive. We will get there...just that I dont know how we will with mor0ns we keep electing all because every tribe in Nigeria must produce the next president. Thats our only waterloo.

1 Like

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by redsun(m): 3:55pm On May 04, 2013
Afam4eva: Like someone said, of what use is it if Nigerians in London are 1million ore even 90% of the population in London. It's not like they control anything major. They're mostly low income earners. I think Nigerians in the US are better of financially.

Not anymore in the US. It is very crunchy there right now. Americans use to live above their means,but reality is setting in now.

Talking Of enterprise,there is no known African company in the world,so in that field,we are mere crawlers,like caterpillar larvas waiting for the process of metamorphosis.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 04, 2013
aasog1:

Bro, Africans arent Asians. Asians have an old and sustained culture of discipline and hardwork. Unlike Africans who focus more on comfort, bloated self-image than wealth-creation. kindly point to any African demographic doing well in the UK. Like you clearly pointed out, we have real cultural and psychological issues when it comes to creating REAL wealth. Africans especially are totally cursed with corruption and mental laziness, and thats why the only thing we market and sell is either Jesus or religion. But on another note, boys in the UK are slamming loads of properties here at home. So far so good, Ive lost counts of clients that have purchased and built properties through my firm. I work with a group, we come down to London often to throw seminars and educate Nigerians about the importance of investing at home, as it is cheaper and the ROI is far more attractive. We will get there...just that I dont know how we will with mor0ns we keep electing all because every tribe in Nigeria must produce the next president. Thats our only waterloo.

Bro., we also have a culture that's arguably far older than the asian culture but our problem is that we've deviated from that and we're now empty... I agree with you about the superficial and bloated self-image... And it isn't just Nigerians in the UK but black people all over the world - we're just the same messed up people separated by different nationalities... Creating churches everywhere is the new scam to rob fellow Africans - I've lost count of the number of churches(there are probably about 50 or more different Nigerian churches) where I live...

However, most of those "slamming loads of properties at home" are into fraud and life on the fast lane with no back-up... I'm conversant with the naija community down here and I can list all the types of scams/frauds the different ethnic groups do separately - and the ones they all do together... And most times when they hit it big - it's about fvcking different chics; buying a big car; popping champs in the club; and living like a pauper wherever they live in shared apartments... Even the highly educated ones are the same thing - they take mortgages they can't really afford and get big cars on finance that would take the bulk of their monthly wages... All in the name of trying to show off to the next black person...
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 04, 2013
asha 80: undecidedhow can we create wealth when we prefer enjoyment and shayo.

It's just about shouting "baba" everywhere with them...

A lot of them are probably owanbe-ing at Ilderton road and all the different halls around London right about now...
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by ayoJ21(m): 4:18pm On May 04, 2013
Akshow: London is a second lagos to most Nigerians

wot of New York?
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by spikesC(m): 4:19pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

Bro., we also have a culture that's arguably far older than the asian culture but our problem is that we've deviated from that and we're now empty... I agree with you about the superficial and bloated self-image... And it isn't just Nigerians in the UK but black people all over the world - we're just the same messed up people separated by different nationalities... Creating churches everywhere is the new scam to rob fellow Africans - I've lost count of the number of churches(there are probably about 50 or more different Nigerian churches) where I live...

However, most of those "slamming loads of properties at home" are into fraud and life on the fast lane with no back-up... I'm conversant with the naija community down here and I can list all the types of scams/frauds the different ethnic groups do separately - and the ones they all do together... And most times when they hit it big - it's about fvcking different chics; buying a big car; popping champs in the club; and living like a pauper wherever they live in shared apartments... Even the highly educated ones are the same thing - they take mortgages they can't really afford and get big cars on finance that would take the bulk of their monthly wages... All in the name of trying to show off to the next black person...

For the fact that you're not one of them, also stipulates that some other person out there is also not one of them. So your generalization is overly outrageous.
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Rossikk(m): 4:28pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:
What a load of rubbish. I don't know which Nigerians YOU mix with in the UK but the vast majority of Nigerians are hardworking, responsible, with many high earners, students, entrepreneurs, homeowners, and highly educated.

Maybe you should change the crowd you hang with.

As for Asians, they have even more parties and attend clubs more than Nigerians if you knew anything about them.

I think it is YOU that has English comprehension issues. Did you see where I typed a word called ''entrepreneurs''?

Any idea what that means?
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Rossikk(m): 4:31pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

[size=20pt]More stereotypical racist RUBBISH. You need to change your crowd and stop moving with time wasters and fraudsters and assuming that is how all ''black people'' are. NONSENSE.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by nuesaweso(f): 4:31pm On May 04, 2013
Funny thread! I agree with most of you guys but instead of just slagging people off, can we start talking about solutions.

Personally, I find UK market a bit difficult to break into, which is typical of any structured setting. You need to take time to learn the ropes, which is what the Asians have going for them as they work in teams & obviously that comes with its consequences.

So for a start, could people who understand how supply chain works in the UK give us advice on how to break the African food market, as it's just awful that Asians dominate this market which is supposed to be our niche!
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by spikesC(m): 4:35pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:

More stereotypical racist RUBBISH. You need to change your crowd and stop moving with time wasters and fraudsters and assuming that is how all ''black people'' are. NONSENSE.

exactly my point cool
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:
I think it is YOU that has English comprehension issues. Did you see where I typed a word called ''entrepreneurs''?

Any idea what that means?

So, because a few Nigerians have businesses they use as a cover-up for their scams/fraud enterprise, that automatically means they're creating wealth, no? You're a duffer with blinkered brain cells!!!

If you want to know what wealth creation is - go check out China Town and how Asians dominate everywhere from their communities to places outside their community!!
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Rossikk(m): 4:37pm On May 04, 2013
nues aweso: Funny thread! I agree with most of you guys but instead of just slagging people off, can we start talking about solutions.

Personally, I find UK market a bit difficult to break into, which is typical of any structured setting. You need to take time to learn the ropes, which is what the Asians have going for them as they work in teams & obviously that comes with its consequences.

So for a start, could people who understand how supply chain works in the UK give us advice on how to break the African food market, as it's just awful that Asian dominate this market which is supposed to be our niche!

Please spare me all this ''our'' this and ''our'' that. The reason most Nigerians in the UK do NOT own shops selling egusi and maggi is that most Nigerians came to the UK to study at university and perform white-collar jobs in areas like accounting, law, IT, and real estate. If you go around London, you will see many Nigerian businesses in these areas, especially in areas with many immigrants. These people make good money in their fields, invest their profits in Nigeria, and case closed. If YOU want to ''be like an Asian'' and open a corner shop selling groceries like most of them do, DON'T EXPECT UK Nigerians to join you, and don't assume it is a ''problem with black people'' either. It is a problem with YOU who cannot see anything good in people who look like you.

2 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Rossikk(m): 4:38pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

So, because a few Nigerians have businesses they use as a cover-up for their scams/fraud enterprise, that automatically means they're creating wealth, no? You're a duffer with blinkered brain cells!!!

If you want to know what wealth creation is - go check out China Town and how Asians dominate everywhere from their communities to places outside their community!!

It is YOU that is a fraudster and a criminal. Nasty person. What survey have you conducted on any Africans or Nigerians or ''black people'' to come here smearing them in this fashion? Self-hating slave.

2 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 4:39pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:
More stereotypical racist RUBBISH. You need to change your crowd and stop moving with time wasters and fraudsters and assuming that is how all ''black people'' are. NONSENSE.

That's the reality, Mr. political jobber turned pseudo-Afrocentric minger!!!

You seriously need to stop disrespecting afrocentricism and pan-africanism with your 3rd decimal IQ!
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:

It is YOU that is a fraudster and a criminal. Nasty person. What survey have you conducted on any Africans or Nigerians or ''black people'' to come here smearing them in this fashion? Self-hating slave.

GTFOH! Are you not a fraudster? - scamming people all in the name of patriotism and black pride... I see through your crap, plonker. undecided
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Rossikk(m): 4:42pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

That's the reality, Mr. political jobber turned pseudo-Afrocentric minger!!!

You seriously need to stop disrespecting afrocentricism and pan-africanism with your 3rd decimal IQ!

The only ''reality'' here is a clapped out, welfare dependent wastrel wasting away in the UK who's lost every ounce of racial self esteem, owing perhaps to all the racism and discrimination he's suffered there.

Why not pay a visit now and again back to your roots in Africa so you don't keep feeling so inferior?

Do you even remember where your village is?

1 Like

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:

The only ''reality'' here is a welfare dependent wastrel sitting in the UK who has lost every ounce of racial self esteem, owing perhaps to all the racism he's suffered there. Why not pay a visit now and again back to your roots in Africa so you don't keep feeling so inferior?

Come talk to me when you can create your own wealth and earn a 5th of what I've got, crumb munching dirty hick... undecided undecided
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Rossikk(m): 4:48pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx:

Come talk to me when you can create your own wealth and earn a 5th of what I've got, crumb munching dirty hick... undecided undecided

You have NOTHING. STFU. The only thing you have is a Friday morning appointment at the Welfare office to get your Job Seeker's Allowance cheque of £52 a week. That is why you're so frustrated and think every black person who's doing better than you must be a fraudster.

2 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by nuesaweso(f): 4:49pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:

Please spare me all this ''our'' this and ''our'' that. The reason most Nigerians in the UK do NOT own shops selling egusi and maggi is that most Nigerians came to the UK to study at university and perform white-collar jobs in areas like accounting, law, IT, and real estate. If you go around London, you will see many Nigerian businesses in these areas, especially in areas with many immigrants. These people make good money in their fields, invest their profits in Nigeria, and case closed. If YOU want to ''be like an Asian'' and open a corner shop selling groceries like most of them do, DON'T EXPECT UK Nigerians to join you, and don't assume it is a ''problem with black people'' either. It is a problem with YOU who cannot see anything good in people who look like you.

Rossikk, I'm struggling to reconcile your response to my post. Could you please give solutions as I requested or Foxtrot Oscar!!!... as it seems you have issues in your personal life!

To reiterate, could people start offering solutions to some of these gaps you've noticed? Also, I have observed that UK Nigerians prefer patronising Asians rather than Nigerian-owned businesses. This is quite common in Peckham & Barking areas. Any reasons for this? What can we do better?
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:

You have NOTHING. STFU. The only thing you have is a Friday morning appointment at the Welfare office to get your Job Seeker's Allowance cheque of £52 a week. That is why you're so frustrated and think every black person who's doing better than you must be a fraudster.

Git, you have always been a bummy reddish yellow eyes having dolt and perhaps that's why you sold your soul for a nickle like the scum you were born to be...

There's nothing more pro-black than educating black people about wealth creation and patronising black businesses... That's how to separate fakes/snakes from the real... Just sod off and stop disrespecting afrocentrism!!! I'm tired of your crap, tbh...

You're a dirty hick!
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by spikesC(m): 4:58pm On May 04, 2013
nues aweso:

Rossikk, I'm struggling to reconcile your response to my post. Could you please give solutions as I requested or Foxtrot Oscar!!!... as it seems you have issues in your personal life!

To reiterate, could people start offering solutions to some of these gaps you've noticed? Also, I have observed that UK Nigerians prefer patronising Asians rather than Nigerian-owned businesses. This is quite common in Peckham & Barking areas. Any reasons for this? What can we do better?

At the bolded, as he said, if you wanna open a road side shop, it is your own cup of tea. Don't expect other people to follow through because everyone has a choice. It is not a tradition that only Africans should dominate the African market. Any one can. And yes, i concur with his idea. Most Nigerians go there to study, look for white collar jobs and invest at home.
If you don't have a graduate job, you can not stay in the UK after studies. I hope you know that one right?

Besides, people living extravagant lifestyles does not mean they're fraudsters. It just means they are spending more.

1 Like

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Rossikk(m): 4:58pm On May 04, 2013
nues aweso:

YOU are the one with ISSUES. Blacks in the UK are getting on with their lives just fine, especially Nigerians. What is YOUR problem? You want to dictate to them what jobs to do?

To reiterate, could people start offering solutions to some of these gaps you've noticed?

What solutions to what gaps?

Also, I have observed that UK Nigerians prefer patronising Asians rather than Nigerian-owned businesses. This is quite common in Peckham & Barking areas. Any reasons for this? What can we do better?

This is the sort of thoughtless crap I'm talking about. Asian businesses in East London probably outnumber Nigerian businesses by 30 to 1. SO HOW ON EARTH WILL NIGERIANS NOT ''PATRONISE ASIAN BUSINESSES MORE THAN NIGERIAN BUSINESSES'?

Asians outnumber Africans in the UK by at least 6 to 1, and began settling en masse in the UK since after WW2 in the 1950s. Yet you expect Nigerians who just began settling in any large number since the 90s, to be as prominent as Asians in business and commerce, otherwise it is a ''problem with black people''.

Until you FOOLS get rid of your stupi.d inferiority complex and get it into your thick skulls that there is absolutely nothing wrong in being black, it's probably best we all ignore you!

2 Likes

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Rossikk(m): 4:58pm On May 04, 2013
angry
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 04, 2013
This guy is just so dumb!!

Asians started arriving in the 50s but negroes have been here since the 1700s... So, how come we're so far behind?

This guy is just ridiculously stupid! undecided
Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Rossikk(m): 5:04pm On May 04, 2013
shymexx: This guy is just so dumb!!

Asians started arriving in the 50s but negroes have been here since the 1700s... So, how come we're so far behind?

This guy is just ridiculously stupid! undecided

Asians started arriving IN DROVES in the 50s and even the 30s and 40s. There have always been a TINY FEW number of blacks in the UK. The arrival of Asians en masse SWAMPED whatever tiny black population was there. Today Asians outnumber blacks by at least 5 to 1 in the UK. As for blacks being ''far behind'', that;s another FALSEHOOD. You seem to not realise that the lowest income groups in the UK are Asian groups NOT blacks, especially when you add the many immigrants from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and co, most barely literate and squeezed into tenements. Not all UK Asians are of the Tata and Hindujah billionaire family variety.

1 Like

Re: Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:

Asians started arriving IN DROVES in the 50s and even the 30s and 40s. There have always been a TINY FEW number of blacks in the UK. The arrival of Asians en masse SWAMPED whatever tiny black population was there. Today Asians outnumber blacks by at least 5 to 1 in the UK.

But new black immigrants also started arriving in droves after the 2nd world war during the windrush... and blacks built most of the tunnels in the UK... So how come we're still so far behind?

That's the problem with people like you...Black pride isn't about covering-up our inadequacies, it's about talking about them and looking for ways to ameliorate them!! undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ali-Modu Sheriff: Allegations of Boko Haram Connection (What the Records Say) / Accommodation Crisis Hits Buhari’s Ministers / Nasir El-rufai: Peter Obi Is A Liar, His Supporters Are Deluded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.