Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice (13259 Views)

I Have Like 10million I Set Aside For Investment/business, Please Advice Me / OIL & GAS FACILITATION Business-please Call / If You Live In America And Are Interested In Business, Please Read This! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by OkwaIfugo(m): 5:08pm On Jun 10, 2013
go for your business and go into part time studies. if you can sell the property its better than loan cos your young and might not have the ability to handle cash and also make huge gains else you started from 14yrs in this biz of a thing.
Make sure your sisters furthers her education that's should be your mandate.
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Nosyke(m): 5:09pm On Jun 10, 2013
@Op, First of all I must commend you courage at this age, keep it up.
My advise to you is that whatever you do:
a. Dont drop education. Going to school is beyond acquiring certificates, it teaches you how to manage people (you relate with different kinds of students), how to meet deadlines and cope under pressure( the crazy asignments, term papers with ridiculous deadlines), how to multitask( writing different exam papers on the same day which you must prepare for), never quit attitude (you must definitely pass all your courses before you graduate). These skills are later on on applied in life and of course will be needed in your business. Like my dad will always say, even if you want to sell pepper, go to school,the way you sell you pepper will be different from the way a person that didnt go will sell. Like someone mentioned, you can do some less time consuming business in school to horn your business skills

b. Do not take a loanNomatter how sure you are of business, things might just go wrong,if this happens, what will be your (and your siblings') fate. I just cant imagine a kid of 17 with no place to stay (and maybe no eductaion). To get a loan from a bank is relatively easy (assuming you even had reached the age) but the same banker that smuiled to you will be the same person that will come to evict you from you property.

In any case, search yourself and pray to God for guidiance.

God Bless you

2 Likes

Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by AkinDavid2: 5:14pm On Jun 10, 2013
Young Man, the only thing i see here is youthful zeal to get rich and show that you are truly a man. But at 17 you still have a lot to learn..What trade do you have skills in? How long have you been in this business that gives you the courage to use your mum's property as a collateral. Mind you a minor like you if truly you are still needs a guardian and Banks may not willingly do business with you. keep on with your academics until all these pressure on you goes down. wink
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by carmenblandish: 5:14pm On Jun 10, 2013
ehvez: Aԁvicе For An Aѕрiring Young Еntrерrеnеur

please i need advice
Am a young guy of 17 years but seriously in love with business i want to forfeit my education to further my interest in business.my problem is my capital am thinking about getting a loan from the bank with the land and house my late mum left 4 us i.e me and my sis.but i dont know if i should go ahead with this.

My brother...do not let other people deceive you about educatioN "AS NIGERIANS KNOW IT" accountant, doctor, engineer, lawyer...E FINISH THERE. There are already millions of graduates looking for job.

@ 17, I commend you for knowing/realising your passion early in life...you can start your business and still continue your education part time, or even online...OPEN UNIVERSITY.

Do not take a loan...if the land is big...just sell maybe one plot and use the money to start small but THINK BIG....it is the vision of bigger picture that will create wealth ...not education by degree.

a lot of so called masters and phd holders are still trying to find themselves....in a world where they feel lost.

Business is the key...identify your niche...make it your passion...and off you ..make your millions without too much noise...you will end up employing the same educated graduates as your secretary.

Another advise,.....STOP SEEKING PEOPLES OPINION....you will end up being even more confused...the risk is yours to take...the ultimate reward is yours to reap....people's advise will only derail you.

compare yourself as you are now to graduates looking for Job....are they better than you now?....if your answer is no, then you have nothing to lose going into business at the young age.

Go for your business dreams.....we need more youths like you.

Education is not what you studied in university,,,it is what you know...educate yourself by reading inspirational books by zigziglar etc.....you will need these encouraging words when you feel down....REMEMBER IF YOU FALL ON THE WAY (AND YOU WILL)...LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES, DUST YOURSELF AND MATCH GEAR 2

GOOD LUCK

7 Likes

Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by chukxie(m): 5:15pm On Jun 10, 2013
The importance of education can not be overemphasized. Pursue a degree and at the same time manage your business. Get an admission into a college near where your business is located. That way you can kill two birds with one stone. I wish you success in your endeavors!
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by chiefololade: 5:18pm On Jun 10, 2013
Go to school, if you know you cant afford the fee then get a limited loan from the bank or use the rent money u collect from the tenants in your mom's house. Then you can proceed to do business after school, thats my advice for you.
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by born2fuckpussy: 5:20pm On Jun 10, 2013
You can always start your business after school and you can enroll in part time and run the business with school simultateously.
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Aafulenu(f): 5:24pm On Jun 10, 2013
ehvez: But thinking of the economy.Am jst realy confused i kinda started breeding dogs last year and i made about 3.5million by december so am thinking of going into it fully i hv cousins whu graduated 4 years ago and they r still at home looking for jobs i just dnt knw what to do anymore(and Steve Job also said d only way to do a good job is doing what you love)am think i love business nd i alxo belive everything in life is all abt taking risks

bros if its still the same dog breeding u want to do then u can do the both, after all u wont be with the dogs 24hrs a day. so i believe u can combine the two, but please dont take a loan, @least not yet
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Cultured(m): 5:28pm On Jun 10, 2013
@OP

Citing your presentation herein , I have no doubt that you have acquired sound basic formal education , this means you can afford to accept responsibility of your actions and inaction. Now, my advice to you is ; live on your opinion and I assure you , success will never elude you so long as you imbibe self-education in your system - Remember " Readers are leaders" .The truth is that whenever you started living on others opinion , you are dead already.

People tend to mistake education for attending formal higher educational settings and acquisition of formal paper certificates , but this's misconception of what true education is. You/Everyone who aspire to succeed in every life endeavors need is to master an act and follow it up with continuous self-education . "Self-education will earn you fortunes , while formal education will earn you a living". Please , vie into the business world , after you established yourself you can then enroll into higher institution of learning to acquire formal certificate just for social strata .

Meanwhile , always have it in mind that " risk not taken equal an opportunity missed " , but that doesn't translate that you should be jumping into non calculative risk(s), no . In the other hand, experience remains the best teacher , but our prayer always is , may we never be consumed in the cause of experiment . For now , I suggest you keep hold on your inheritance neither sell nor secure loan with them , rather try hustle up for money from any other possible means you could , to start off . Surely, you will fail many times on your way before hitting your goldmine , but never quit , however remember " surrender tactics ", it helps in many occasions .

"Failure in not a sign of ignorance , rather it's an act of perfection ". Take my advice where necessary , but never live on my opinions . It shall be well with you .

3 Likes

Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Joycelyntee366(f): 5:30pm On Jun 10, 2013
Bros,if
you have someone who can sponsor your education now why not give it a trial even if
@ the end of the day you want to do business no qualms...education will give you
an edge and help you to manage your resources well...just give it a prayerful
taught
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 10, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin

all i see is employees advicing a young and aspring business man

@OP the major Nigerian mentality which is negetive is that in your teens you are supposed to be spent hugging mom and dad, and thats why we see 40 year olds graduates still living with their mum and Dad.

Follow your heart Bro, dont take loans any how, do your homework well before going into any business, if your mind is not into school then you wont make in school.

I personally was not a degree addict i followed my dreams and today i have no regrets

forget all this Education is this education is that, education is good but it is overhyped, we have people (graduates) roaming the streets cause they were forced into school by this same education is Heaven advice, so look before you leap

the same people who praise education today wont give you a job tomorrow
run your business and if you still need school , go part time.

2 Likes

Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by AbuMikey(m): 5:31pm On Jun 10, 2013
Bro,Na school sure pass oo
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by francis247(m): 5:32pm On Jun 10, 2013

please i need advice
Am a young guy of 17 years but seriously in love with business i want to forfeit my education to further my interest in business.my problem is my capital am thinking about getting a loan from the bank with the land and house my late mum left 4 us i.e me and my sis.but i dont know if i should go ahead with this.
what experience do you have that you want to take a loan with almost all you have 2 start a business? I think the business you should focus on now should be your studies & getting some more experiences about life. If you're going to start a business, don't take a loan.
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by yetseyi(f): 5:39pm On Jun 10, 2013
wateva u do dont borrow from a bank. If anything goes wrong with the business u are in for it
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by LabourParty(m): 5:41pm On Jun 10, 2013
In Nigeria education is the only way out.

Even if you want to be a carpenter, you still need education. An educated carpenter will do his business in a much more professional way than an uneducated carpenter.

Education is the KEY.
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by uzoexcel(m): 5:49pm On Jun 10, 2013
At 17years I was abt to enter 3rd year but I m nt sure I had devloped or started thinkn like u..I reallly ur courage..if our educational system was a stable,I wouldav adviced u to enrole 4 a part time program in a satellite campus close 2 u.that way u kill 2 birds wid 1 stone!!!gudluck 2 u as u make ur decision
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by GaNdaLfdGrEaT: 5:55pm On Jun 10, 2013
ehvez: But thinking of the economy.Am jst realy confused i kinda started breeding dogs [size=20pt]last year[/size] and i made about [size=20pt]3.5million [/size][size=20pt]by december[/size] so am thinking of going into it fully i hv cousins whu graduated 4 years ago and they r still at home looking for jobs i just dnt knw what to do anymore(and Steve Job also said d only way to do a good job is doing what you love)am think i love business nd i alxo belive everything in life is all abt taking risks

a begi which kin Dogs u dey breed. what breed of dogs are they, and how many are they. how often do they give birth, and average number of litter do they give.

1 Like

Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Okijajuju: 5:56pm On Jun 10, 2013
[b]OP..

The advice I'm about to give you still returns to you to decide..

1. Go into business: This is a good idea that has worked for so many people. Owning a business of your own is always a beautiful thing. I'm still working on mine. Businesses grow slow when good and eventually become big with good management. However, before you go into business, you must have carried out proper research into that business. You must know the pros and cons of that business. Is never guaranteed that your first business will prosper. The most important thing in business isn't capital but good and trustworthy contacts. When you have all the bases covered, then you can venture in. Now the demerit of going into business the way you are planning which is through a bank loan secured on the assets left behind for you and your siblings by your late mother is; should the business fail, you would have lost everything leaving you with nothing and putting your sibling into serious problems.

2. Go to school; school has no guarantees that you will make money with our degree. However, it's always a present and viable option that nobody can take away from you. Once you have your degree, you have it for life. It opens you up to many opportunities including business. It broadens your horizon and puts more options at your feet. You can keep researching and building p your business plan whilst schooling. You really have oohing to lose with school. The time spent in school is time well invested especially if you can graduate with a good degree in a marketable field like engineering, law, business and economics amongst a few others.

The choice still boils down to you. I wouldn't advice you take a loan on your only property to start a business that has no sure guarantee of success. Starting small and growing is always better. Starting small minimises your loss in case of failure. You are in what I call a Russian roullete type situation. The choice is yours. But if I must say pick one, I'll go with the latter.

][/b]

1 Like

Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by sholay2011(m): 5:59pm On Jun 10, 2013
GaNdaLf_d_GrEaT:

a begi which kin Dogs u dey breed. what breed of dogs are they and how often do they give birth.
Thank you for asking oh. 'Cos I have dogs and sometyms engage in the business but making 3.5 million Hmmm...maybe not as profit but total revenue sha...and it's per year...but still...

What makes me think the OP cooked all this shit? undecided
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jun 10, 2013
ehvez: But thinking of the economy.Am jst realy confused i kinda started breeding dogs last year and i made about 3.5million by december so am thinking of going into it fully i hv cousins whu graduated 4 years ago and they r still at home looking for jobs i just dnt knw what to do anymore(and Steve Job also said d only way to do a good job is doing what you love)am think i love business nd i alxo belive everything in life is all abt taking risks
wtf?? 3.5million naira?? So what happened to all that money?? Ur a liar, go and find something to do my friend.
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by hardbody: 6:18pm On Jun 10, 2013

please i need advice

Young man, go to school and acquire basic university education. It will open your eyes beyond the vistas as seen by your contemporaries who refused to go to school and started making money early. If you are not careful, you will make all the money now and fritter the entire thing away. There are very few illiterates that made good money and you can not compare their achievements with literate and educated folks who made the same amount of money over the same time period.

As someone also posted earlier, at your age, no bank will give you money no matter the collateral you produce except you provide a guardian ad litem. that your guardian will be your undoing. So listen to good advise and go to school. It is not by mistake that dangote wanted to employ graduate drivers for his trucks, he has seen that the graduate driver, barber, seller, whatever is miles ahead of his illiterate colleague in terms of thought processing and therefore deliverables. Think, if you cannot, borrow a brain.
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by obibanks: 6:20pm On Jun 10, 2013
Dude, did U̶̲̥̅̊ say 3.5million turnover?? Arghh, at 17. Dude enter into business since U̶̲̥̅̊ have the insight †φ generate such amount, maybe by the time U̶̲̥̅̊ r 23, U̶̲̥̅̊ can enta skul as A̶̲̥̅ part time student. Dnt miss this opportunity since the idea Ȋ̝̊̅§ fresh I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Ɣ☺ΰя mind because mayb if U̶̲̥̅̊ waste time, the biz idea wud be saturated by other people thereby making it difficult Fø̲̣̣я̅ u. As Fø̲̣̣я̅ trhe loan, forget abt it, startin up A̶̲̥̅ bizness wit bank loans Ȋ̝̊̅§ an unnecessary risk. All these guys saying school 1st might hav graduated since 4yrs and r broke as hell. Afterall most top rich people didn't ♍a̶̲̥̅kε̲̣̣̣̥ education their priority and they are employin the so called educated and can fire them anytime, dude jst work smart
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by hardbody: 6:25pm On Jun 10, 2013
maybach-music:
grin grin grin grin grin

all i see is employees advicing a young and aspring business man

@OP the major Nigerian mentality which is negetive is that in your teens you are supposed to be spent hugging mom and dad, and thats why we see 40 year olds graduates still living with their mum and Dad.

Follow your heart Bro, dont take loans any how, do your homework well before going into any business, if your mind is not into school then you wont make in school.

I personally was not a degree addict i followed my dreams and today i have no regrets

forget all this Education is this education is that, education is good but it is overhyped, we have people (graduates) roaming the streets cause they were forced into school by this same education is Heaven advice, so look before you leap

the same people who praise education today wont give you a job tomorrow
run your business and if you still need school , go part time.

You may be making a point but what statistics do you have to back this up? Off the cuff, where do we have the higher majority, literate people without jobs or illiterates without jobs? Please answer me truthfully. Something else you may never know, if you had gone to school, your supposed achievements today would have been a stepping stone to where you would have been believe me. Again you may never understand because you let the opportunity pass you by.
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by hardbody: 6:28pm On Jun 10, 2013
obibank$:
Dude, did U̶̲̥̅̊ say 3.5million turnover?? Arghh, at 17. Dude enter into business since U̶̲̥̅̊ have the insight †φ generate such amount, maybe by the time U̶̲̥̅̊ r 23, U̶̲̥̅̊ can enta skul as A̶̲̥̅ part time student. Dnt miss this opportunity since the idea Ȋ̝̊̅§ fresh I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Ɣ☺ΰя mind because mayb if U̶̲̥̅̊ waste time, the biz idea wud be saturated by other people thereby making it difficult Fø̲̣̣я̅ u. As Fø̲̣̣я̅ trhe loan, forget abt it, startin up A̶̲̥̅ bizness wit bank loans Ȋ̝̊̅§ an unnecessary risk. All these guys saying school 1st might hav graduated since 4yrs and r broke as hell. Afterall most top rich people didn't ♍a̶̲̥̅kε̲̣̣̣̥ education their priority and they are employin the so called educated and can fire them anytime, dude jst work smart

Name the rich guys in Nigeria that did not go to school. You see the first signs of illiteracy on your random post. Is it Adenuga, Dangote, Late Fawehinmi, Otedola, Just name an illiterate amongst the big guns. You must be real small and thinking small...

I do not pity you, i pity whoever wants to join you because you have a tendency to pull others down because you are already somewhere there...
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Dreamflyin(m): 6:29pm On Jun 10, 2013
bro, u made ur first million b4 17. U ar a biz genius. Go for it, dnt loook. Try to know more and look out for cheats(though u already did by being able 2 make 3.5m).

Education is worth d paper it is written on. For the loan issue, dats d risky part. Go for more professional advice. Look for a critic dat'll oppose ur biz plan as a failure, after dat u can rethink. Best of luck, d next Dangote!!!!
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Esiere: 6:38pm On Jun 10, 2013
since you are this young, i will advise that you go to school and while you are there begin to do your business networking. It will help you a lot. Schools dont make you a rich man, but makes you a better and more informed person.
Do not compare the drop outs abroad with the drop-outs in Nigeria. Most drop -outs abroad are already informed due to the level of exposure over there and the level playing ground.
In a nutshell, school more and while at it expand your business knowledge.
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by omo1010: 6:41pm On Jun 10, 2013
And who says u can't do biz after sch. Go to sch 4 knowledge acquisition nt to earn a living with cert since u already have an option
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Picomon(m): 6:47pm On Jun 10, 2013
@OP follow your intuition!

If you miss a business opportunity, probability of getting it back is near zero. If you miss school today, you can still go back to school to grab that paper.

The school can wait pending the time your business grow, and if you build a great system around it, even if you're not around, the business will scale.

You've got a lot of work to do though, get a mentor, someone who you trust and not someone who will dupe you.

"do the things others won't do today so that you can have tomorrow what others won't have"

Please stay away from the loan.
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Picomon(m): 6:49pm On Jun 10, 2013
omo1010: And who says u can't do biz after sch. Go to sch 4 knowledge acquisition nt to earn a living with cert since u already have an option

What knowledge will he acquire in school? Is it with the La cram la pour?
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by ocheejemb: 6:54pm On Jun 10, 2013
Nawtipet: Abeg! U can leave ur education and do business... Most successful pple of nowadays didnt go to scul... Even if u go to scul, it is only by luck u will get employed cos of nigeria z nw very corrupt and dey dnt give jobs...Ur kindda too young sha... U will need a mature elder by urside... Jst becareful... Trust no1... And be always thoughtful

If you drop at now you stand the risk of writing like this guy. 17 is quite young, if you get into school now, for a course you are interested in such as Business Administration, you will be done at the young age of 21, with many educated friends and lifelong contacts!

2 Likes

Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Image123(m): 6:57pm On Jun 10, 2013
If the boy go school, he would not be looking for loan to do dogs business less than six months after allegedly making 3.5 million abi na kobo?
Re: Continue School Or Start A Business - Please Advice by Afam4eva(m): 7:04pm On Jun 10, 2013
Education is very important but not necessarily through the conventional school. Just stay educated in your chosen field.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Paint Making Emulsion, Texcote, Oil, Flex And Satin Paint / Dw Arerben Investment? Real Or Scam / >1.25 Odd <2.25 Odd Investment For Business Minded Punters Who Are Disciplined

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.