Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,512 members, 7,812,593 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children (14279 Views)

Man Catches His Mother With Her Lover, Attacked By Mum's Lover (photos) / Photo: See Billionaire Man Buries Mother With Hummer Jeep / Christmas Giveaway For A Single Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 2:24am On Jun 17, 2013
The person being interviewed is Nairaland's own Sniperinadiaper ,and this is her inspirational story about her struggle, dedication, and perseverance. Mod put this on the front page please...

We often hear inspirational heartwarming stories about single mothers who raise multiple kids while holding down a full time job. These mothers play both the roles of mother, and farther, to their children in the absence of their father and male role models. But, there is another aspect to these single mothers' stories. There are single mothers all over the world, with special needs children. These mothers are able to somehow balance the special needs of their children, daily life, and their work. Their story is one of great struggle, dedication, and perseverance. Such is the case of Courtney Schulist...

Mr Knowitall.)-Ms Schulist, first of all I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to do this interview.

(Ms Courtney Schulist)-Thank you for allowing me to share our story.

[b]When I heard your story, it deeply inspired me. I felt like I needed to bring this story to light, because it’s very inspirational and could inspire others. You are a single mother, with three special needs children. Your eldest son Kaia, was a preterm born at 29 weeks gestation. He is diagnosed with dysgraphia, dyslexia, tourettes syndrome, speech delay, and vision problems. Aybra, your daughter, was born at 26 weeks gestation. She is diagnosed with intra-ventricular hemorrhage, ROP with current vision problems, and speech delay. I believe Aloshua, who is your middle child, was born at 27 weeks gestation. He is diagnosed with spina bifida, hydrocephalus, Arnold Chiari malformation, mal rotation, diaphragmatic hernia, coloboma, GERD, failure to thrive, trach/vent dependent, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hernia, hydroceles, vitiligo, and dysphagia. I mean, just reading all these diagnoses, I feel overwhelmed. What gives you the energy, drive, and motivation to be able to meet the special needs of your children and the demands of your work as a single mother?[/b]

I do not feel like I have any special characteristics, which gives me an advantage in caring for my children or work obligations. I feel like I do the best I can, so that my children can thrive. When a person is placed into a situation like mine, then they must adapt. I have simply adapted to meet the needs of my family and work. Seeing my family thrive gives me pleasure. I work hard to ensure that their needs are met; often times putting myself last so that they can get what they deserve. I am motivated by their progress and success.

When you found out that your third child would have special needs, how did you react to the news?

I was followed very closely by a High Risk Obstetrician throughout the pregnancy. I was cleared the entire pregnancy and told that no congenital problems were present, but I still prepared myself for the unexpected. After all, doctors can be wrong. It was because of the preterm birth that my third child developed special needs. I knew it was a possibility so I handled it in stride. I was not entirely shocked, but I was disappointed that I would be facing more challenges for my third child.

How has this situation affected your view and outlook on life? I mean, has this situation changed you in any way?

This entire situation has been a positive life changing event. I have learned how to expand on certain qualities of myself that make me a better parent like being outspoken, being happy despite tough times, being compassionate, and not being afraid of living in the moment. I embrace the saying “Come what may and love it”. You cannot chose what happens to you, but you can chose how you react to it.

Well said...Does your faith play any role in the way you are able to handle this situation as a single mother and still persevere?

My faith grew when I had my third child. Before, I wasn’t terribly religious and I was more “lost” than “found”. I questioned how an individual could possibly go through a rough experience multiple times and still come out strong. How one person could suffer so much disappointment, and not be broken. But I realized that I had nothing to do with it. My strength was because of God. I realized that there was something bigger that was helping me through the tough times, and once I began to give credit to God, things began to get even easier for me. I was never one to let the situation overwhelm me, and I knew that even though there were multiple struggles, and life threatening situations, that my children would be fine. As I sat with my children in the hospital, I read my Scriptures and found comfort in the word of God. Hebrews 12:1-2, was one that always gave me comfort. My faith became stronger as a result of my situation. Situations with my children could change quickly, but one constant factor has been my faith.

I understand you home school your children right?

Yes, I homeschool all of them.

Did you make the decision to home school your children because of their special needs?

My decision to home-school was based mostly on the needs of my children. My middle son has a very weak immune system, and a common illness in a healthy individual can lead to a serious hospitalization for him. By sending him or my others to a public school, the risk of transferring illnesses was very high, and I was not willing to take that risk so I home school them. Most people with chronic special needs look different, and often have physical characteristics that make them stand out. Because of that, people treat them different and are often cruel to them. I did not want my middle child, or my other children to be bullied because of their special needs.

That makes a lot of sense. There are lots of single mothers in your situation. And you know, they might feel discourage because they think their child is not improving, or not improving fast enough and they become overwhelmed. What would you say to those mothers out there? How would you encourage them?

It is far too easy to become overwhelmed when you are facing a child with special needs. I would encourage them to focus on what their child is capable of doing, instead of what their child cannot do. Having a special needs child means celebrating different milestones than those of a typical child. If you dwell on the negatives, then you are only feeding negative thoughts and your child can pick up on that. I would also tell them to be happy, and find joy in all situations. Be aware of all that could happen and know that things can quickly change.

You have very good advice. But I have to ask this: do you plan on having anymore children?

(Laughing)…Everybody asks that question. Personally, I would love to have more children, and even adopt special needs children, but I am leaving that decision up to God.

Once again, I thank you for this opportunity and for being an inspiration for others.

Thank you for taking the time to allow me to share my story. I hope that it is an encouragement and inspiration to others.

etesenghana.com
http://www.etesenghana.com/inspirational-interview-of-a-single-mother-with-three-special-needs-children/

Interview by Mr Volta Region aka Mr Knowitall.

16 Likes

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 2:38am On Jun 17, 2013
Real touching

Sniper comes across to me as a patient, caring, and loyal chic.....that's why I married her, of course. tongue kiss

It takes a lot to do what you do, tohers may think. But to you, the love is effortless.

My respect and like for you just went several hundred notches. Lovely children. kiss

May your God continue to smile ipon you and bless your home.

Truly a woman in millions.

Before, I wasn’t terribly religious and I was more “lost” than “found

I'm currently in the same predicament, sweetie.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 2:43am On Jun 17, 2013
You have very good advice. But I have to ask this: do you plan on having anymore children?

(Laughing)…Everybody asks that question. Personally, I would love to have more children, and even adopt special needs children, but I am leaving that decision up to God.

Yo shocked me in a good way with this answer......I truly enjoyed reading the interview.

Precise and unhidden.....straight to the point.

Sniper, if you dont mind me asking, did the doctors tell you the causation? I understand that in cases like this, genetic plays a huge role, but not always.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 3:28am On Jun 17, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Yo shocked me in a good way with this answer......I truly enjoyed reading the interview.

Precise and unhidden.....straight to the point.

Sniper, if you dont mind me asking, did the doctors tell you the causation? I understand that in cases like this, genetic plays a huge role, but not always.

Hey sweetie..

Forgive me for being wordy but there is no short answer to this..

I went into preterm labor with my first son and they were able to hold it off for a few weeks before finally delivering... The doctors said that the scans showed cleft lip and palette, but he came out perfectly fine.. Silly doctors dont always know these things.. wink

During the second pregnancy I was monitored for incompetent cervix - which was believed to have been the reason for the first early delivery - and everything appeared fine. In fact, I had numerous scans and doctor visits, and even my sons genetic issues were not found until he was a day old. My water ruptured early with him and they could not hold it off. Within 12 hours he was born. His birth was very traumatic and he was whisked off to be put on a high frequency ventilator. This meant he was on his back and could not be turned over, or even held. A nurse changing his diaper lifted him up and noticed the spina bifida (basically a hole in his back). It is a genetic issue but does not run in either family. Doctors believe that he has some very rare genetic syndrome and have never seen any patient like him before. His problems are somewhat related to the spina bifida, somewhat related to being born early, and somewhat related to whatever genetic syndrome he has.. Right now whatever he has is not something that has a name and technology isnt advanced enough to see small enough into the genes..

With my third, I was monitored even more closely and had extra scans looking for any genetic issue as well as cervix issue. Doctors can do a cerclage to help prevent the cervix opening but there comes additional risks with it.. Again, there were no signs of cervical incompetence for any of the scans but my water ruptured early with her too.. The doctors held off labor as long as they could (10 days) before having to perform emergency c-section for her.

A lot of people ask if I did anything wrong to cause it but the answer is no. I did not smoke, or drink or do anything to cause these issues. angry
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 3:47am On Jun 17, 2013
Thanks for the elaborated answer. Were any nursing pills taken during the terms of each pregnancy?

A lot of people ask if I did anything wrong to cause it but the answer is no. I did not smoke, or drink or

It is normal for humans to seek answers to what they think they understand, but lack the answers to explain.
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 3:51am On Jun 17, 2013
I took prenatal vitamins and extra folic acid.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 4:08am On Jun 17, 2013
SniperInADiaper: I took prenatal vitamins and extra folic acid.

Okay.

May your God continue to be your strength and guidance.

You're blessed with 3 beautiful children. kiss

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 4:09am On Jun 17, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Okay.

May your God continue to be your strength and guidance.

You're blessed with 3 beautiful children. kiss

Thanks dear kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 4:19am On Jun 17, 2013
Sniper, God shall continue to be ur strength
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Idowuogbo(f): 4:24am On Jun 17, 2013
Woooooooooooooow! shocked shocked shocked

My wife? Superwoman! Come closer Sniper! Muaaaaaaaah!!!! kiss kiss kiss

Well done!

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Idowuogbo(f): 4:26am On Jun 17, 2013
Right, sweerie can I ask a personal question here or should I go ahead and use the bck door? (Pm)
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 4:28am On Jun 17, 2013
Idowuogbo: Right, sweerie can I ask a personal question here or should I go ahead and use the bck door? (Pm)

It doesnt matter... Our entire story is online... even the stuff people are scared to ask about grin
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 4:28am On Jun 17, 2013
CFCfan: Sniper, God shall continue to be ur strength

Thanks. kiss
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Idowuogbo(f): 4:31am On Jun 17, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

It doesnt matter... Our entire story is online... even the stuff people are scared to ask about grin
Okies....here we go... *breathing heavily*

D daddies, do they get involved with their kids?

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 4:32am On Jun 17, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

I used to be a BARC research assistant, so when you showed me your daughter's pix in that hair thread, I knew. I wanted to ask, but I accepted my limits.
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Idowuogbo(f): 4:34am On Jun 17, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

I used to be a BARC research assistant, so when you showed me your daughter's pix in that hair thread, I knew.I[b] wanted to ask, but I accepted my limits[/b].
Dats it gal...

Much respect#
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 4:36am On Jun 17, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Okies....here we go... *breathing heavily*

D daddies, do they get involved with their kids?

Relax girl!

My little girls dad is involved but the others not. (Suicide/deadbeat)
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Idowuogbo(f): 4:42am On Jun 17, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Relax girl!

Omg! For real? Wow! U've seen it all mama...

The Lord is ur strength.

4 Likes

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 4:43am On Jun 17, 2013
Life is full of stories,
Some re motivative,
Some re innovative,
Some re inspirational,
Some re tragic.
All meet at a point,
D point of lessons,
D point of education,
D point of strength,
D point of courage.
D point of experience,
D point of 2 know true friends,
I wanna tell u my dear friend, u re not alone on dis,
D good GOD in HEAVEN will see u through dis tunnel.

5 Likes

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 4:59am On Jun 17, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Omg! For real? Wow! U've seen it all mama...

The Lord is ur strength.

Indeed.

My life is like a nollywood script wink
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 4:59am On Jun 17, 2013
ighoosagie:
Life is full of stories,
Some re motivative,
Some re innovative,
Some re inspirational,
Some re tragic.
All meet at a point,
D point of lessons,
D point of education,
D point of strength,
D point of courage.
D point of experience,
D point of 2 know true friends,
I wanna tell u my dear friend, u re not alone on dis,
D good GOD in HEAVEN will see u through dis tunnel.

Thanks hun kiss
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 5:02am On Jun 17, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Relax girl!

(((((((Hugsss)))))))
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 5:20am On Jun 17, 2013
you brought tears to my eyes
What a woman!
When I wrote on the other thread that single mothers are some of the hardest working people I know and that I had the utmost for them,I didn't know we had a supermommy in our midst .
I know somedays will be tough but I want you to remember that God never allows us what we cannot handle.
He wanted those three children here and chose for them the best mom that would love them to pieces.
Thanks for this great story of a mother and her unwavering love and dedication to her children.That is the summary for me.
You have inspired us all.
God bless you and the beautiful angels.

7 Likes

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 5:57am On Jun 17, 2013
You are very strong sniper, may Gods strength continue to lie with you!

What a great woman you are! Send a big kisses to your lovely kids for mesmiley
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 6:12am On Jun 17, 2013
U are one very strong woman! Not one, not two. . . Three kids with special needs and u are doing it all alone! I don't know what to say, other than that the Lord is your strenght.
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by damiso(f): 7:26am On Jun 17, 2013
I doff my hat to you.Truly only God can be your source of strength.May He continually uphold you and give you the Grace you need.

God blesd you and your beautiful babies. kiss
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 8:53am On Jun 17, 2013
Wow!!.. God bless you sniper...you're already an inspiration to me and thousand out there...

My respect and admiration for you just shot up uncontrollably

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Obinnau(m): 9:13am On Jun 17, 2013
The first time i came across Sniper, she struck me as a woman who will do whatever it takes to protect her childrens interest before any other. Sniper you are a real woman, a source of inspiration to many mothers and would be mothers, may God continue to be the pillar that you lay your hands on when you are tired. Take care of them and they will turn out to be more better than they were before, kudos!

2 Likes

Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 17, 2013
Those lovely kids got the best mum...
If you don't have a child with special needs you truly would not understand what it takes. The commitment, the time, the energy, your love..just everything! Having work with children some with special needs and others with none. I think I do have a very little understanding...My most recent experience was with a 19year old lady with celebral palsy. Oh my God. It's a huge task for the mum, the seizures, couple with epilepsy etc. It's a total huge 'assignment' to be there always for them! I doff my hat for you and all mothers who are in similar situation. Never ask why me, because if not you, then who else is courageous enough to step in those shoes. YOU definitely are doing a great task. Weldone you, Madame. God bless you more in Jesus name. Amen. Thanks for sharing your story smiley
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 17, 2013
You are a very strong woman, Sniper. Not so many people have the willpower to take care of 3 special needs children,, yet you do that with so much strength and dedication. I doff my hat to you and other mothers in similar situation. May God continue to give you the strength to take care of your children in the best way you can. Be blessed. smiley smiley
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by baby124: 2:05pm On Jun 17, 2013
And some people will think their life should end because a boyfriend dumped them. When others are going through more challenges and not making circumstances determine them. But determining the circumstances through dedication, and hard work. I truly believe everything happens for a reason. And you are the best person who would have been able to face up to these challenges. God bless you. Many would have said "why me"? But you keep on without looking back. God definitely will reward you with all you desire. If it is a healthy child to assist you with their care and their future! I think you should go for genetic testing and genetic compatibility testing, if you decide to try again. smiley
Re: Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children by tconfi: 2:57pm On Jun 17, 2013
Whaoo!!!God bless the family!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When The Wife Earns And Contribute More To The Union? / What Will You Do If Your Wife Is Secretly Building A House In Her Fathers Compou / Why Deny Your Husband Food After A Fight?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.