Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,854 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal (104467 Views)

Construction Journal | Browne Mews By Nexthome / My Construction Journal 2 / From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (49) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:05pm On Jul 20, 2013
And the rain keeps coming that the road leading into the site became flooded...

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:09pm On Jul 20, 2013
Oh, my septic tank! Before-noon and during-the-rain pictures of the septic tank

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:19pm On Jul 20, 2013
Tomorrow's Work Schedule

1. Fix the septic tank (Block setting/reinforcement detailing only)
2. Carpentary works (lintel and columns only)
3. Line up the reinforcement (for the lintels) in place
4. Arrange materials for the casting of the lintels and columns
5. Update the thread
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 9:56pm On Jul 20, 2013
Brabus, look at this lovely fence by:
FARAD CONTRACTORS
Tel. 0806 287 3386

Hajji Mufutau

2 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by amanikondo: 11:31pm On Jul 20, 2013
mufutau55: Brabus, look at this lovely fence by:
FARAD CONTRACTORS
Tel. 0806 287 3386

Hajji Mufutau Agabaje lola, In Barrister's Voice, lol. Nice Gate
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 12:27am On Jul 21, 2013
amanikondo:

Hajji Mufutau Agabaje lola, In Barrister's Voice, lol. Nice Gate

LOL! Yes, Barrister knows me better..
Thank you very much for that my Oriki... now all I need is for KWAM1(Wasiu Ayinde) to start shouting my name as "Too Much Money ore Brabus". Then I can employ the service of Brabus, Spyder and Segcy.Moor for my ultimate Mansion or Chateau.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by amanikondo: 3:43am On Jul 21, 2013
mufutau55:

LOL! Yes, Barrister knows me better..
Thank you very much for that my Oriki... now all I need is for KWAM1(Wasiu Ayinde) to start shouting my name as "Too Much Money ore Brabus". Then I can employ the service of Brabus, Spyder and Segcy.Moor for my ultimate Mansion or Chateau.

Hajji Mufutau

LOL. For sure Hajji, we go do House Warming for your upcoming main Duplex. God will provide.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:02am On Jul 21, 2013
kopell: @Brabus what is the standard recommended mix ratio to 1 bag of cement to headpans of sand using Dangote cement, with today's cements how long do the takes to dry or compound in time of a decking work on a building.

According to Wickes:

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:12am On Jul 21, 2013
Our mix ratio for block setting.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:38am On Jul 21, 2013
@kopell,

Use1:2:4 mix for First floor slab - Concrete will cure within 2 days, but no heavy load for 5 - 7 days. Full curing in 28 days. The longer you can stay before loading, the better.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by kopell: 8:18am On Jul 21, 2013
@Brabus, thank you. Very very educative. I have to save this information in my note book.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 2:46pm On Jul 21, 2013
brabus: @kopell,

Use1:2:4 mix for First floor slab - Concrete will cure within 2 days, but no heavy load for 5 - 7 days.
Full curing in 28 days. The longer you can stay before loading, the better.

Is starting first floor block laying considered as heavy or light load?
Or simply put how many days is safer to start the block setting for the next floor?
Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by gabbytabby: 7:01pm On Jul 21, 2013
Mr Brabus what mix do you use for plastering and do you use different measures for inside and outside. How many headpan is in the wheelbarrow.

With concrete mix some say 1:2:4 and others use 1:3:6 which part would you use either for. I.e is 1:2:4 for below dpc and the other for above?
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by Sagewood: 7:12am On Jul 22, 2013
@ Brabus,

Quite impressive work you are doing, backed with great and detailed explanations.
No ambiguity of information. People are following this thread from very far places.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 11:14am On Jul 22, 2013
Good morning! Wishing you a Happy New Week!!!
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 9:17pm On Jul 22, 2013
It's been two days since my last post on this project. All of the walls are now up to first floor height. The lintel and column formwork are been constructed and the reinforcements are been placed in. We are also busy with the heavy metal work and other preliminary arrangements in preparation for the first floor slab.

Picture updates

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 9:41pm On Jul 22, 2013
Electrical sockets/ switches being positioned. Formwork up over double sliding doors and porch already in place.

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 9:46pm On Jul 22, 2013
And many more. Checking alignment..

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 9:53pm On Jul 22, 2013
Lintels over double door. Checking alignment... Attention to details

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:04pm On Jul 22, 2013
More

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:06pm On Jul 22, 2013
Backfilling completed and carpentary work continues...

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:10pm On Jul 22, 2013
Septic tank / Soak away...

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:12pm On Jul 22, 2013
Soak away...

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:15pm On Jul 22, 2013
Decking Bamboos...

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
When I'm designing, I always keep a scrapbook with pictures of what our finished design will look like. Here's what our entertainment centre will look like when finished. The built in entertainment wall in the making.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
Reinforcement Detailing and placing them in the formwork

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
Help me find HARD work for this guys!!! These guys can do anything in a jiffy. They cut and supplied 250 bamb shocked :os in less than 40 minutes.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:39pm On Jul 22, 2013
More pictures..

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:46pm On Jul 22, 2013
We have started chasing the conduit into the internal walls ready for the electrical first fix. We'll be pouring the lintels and columns tomorrow.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 11:01pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ante room glass block design inspiration from Google. A full 3m glass block wall in the ante room overlooking the wrap-around terrace on the ground floor. I'll take time to discuss the interesting features of this project.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 6:55am On Jul 23, 2013
mufutau55:

Is starting first floor block laying considered as heavy or light load?
Or simply put how many days is safer to start the block setting for the next floor?
Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau

FYI,

Generally, floors are designed to support the weight of the slab (called dead load) and the weight of furnitures, equipments, and the inhabitants (called live load). However, dead load is much greater than the live load on concrete floors. So we should not depend on the live load capacity of a floor slab to support the weight of workers, materials and concrete from the first floor. Otherwise, we will overload the slab and then theres deflection.

So, the normal assumption is that the concrete will reach full strength in a month (28 days). However, the slab can achieve 70 to 75% of 28 day strength (with proper curing method) in seven days during which it may be considered as strong enough to hold its dead load and some live load.

The Recommendation

To shore the formwork, workers, and the poured concrete at the first floor level so that the loads from the first floor to the slab below is equally distributed to safely support the live and dead loads. With that, you can safely commence block works on the upper level few days (3 - 5 days) after pouring the slab and even do more within a short period of time. But there's a caveat, if possible avoid mixing your concrete on the upper slab to avoid deflection. Leave the props for over a month till the slab achieve full strength.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:45am On Jul 23, 2013
gabbytabby: Mr Brabus what mix do you use for plastering and do you use different measures for inside and outside. How many headpan is in the wheelbarrow.

With concrete mix some say 1:2:4 and others use 1:3:6 which part would you use either for. I.e is 1:2:4 for below dpc and the other for above?

The 1:2:4 mix

One bag of cement, 2 wheelbarrows full of sand and 4 wheelbarrows full of granite. Whatever mix you do, the most important thing is the quality of the materials (sand and stone) used.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (49) (Reply)

Build a Standard 3Bedroom On A half Plot Of 324sqmetres at an Affordable Cost / Can I Build This Type Of House In Three Months? / Photos Of Aliko Dangote’s $30Million Home - By Africadle.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.