Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,778 members, 7,831,499 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal - Properties (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal (104579 Views)

Construction Journal | Browne Mews By Nexthome / My Construction Journal 2 / From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (49) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by Chekitaut: 10:08pm On Jul 31, 2013
brabus:

I think the cost difference should be a downward review and not upward because the material cost here are not cheaper than what's obtainable in Sango-otta (except for the bamboos, woods and planks).

1. 350 pcs of 1 x 12 x 12 planks @ N800 - (N280,000)
2. 150 pcs of 2 x 3 x 12 planks @ N250 - (N37,500)
3. 170 bags of cement @ N1750 - (N297,500)
4. 3 bags of Nail @ N5,000 - (N15,000)
5. 2 bundles of binding wire @ N6,000 - (N12,000)
6. 1/2 ton 10mm iron rod @ N120,000 - (N60,000)
7. 3 ton of 12mm iron rod @ N115,000 - (N345,000)
8. 2 ton of 16mm iron rod @ N115,000 - (N230,000)
9. Granite (60 ton) - N300,000
10. Sharp sand (80 ton) - N160,000
11. Stone Dust (20 ton) -
12. Labour charges - (Terrain dependent)
13. Miscellaneous - N150,000
14. Electrical/Mechanical works -
15. Bamboo - 350 pcs @ N150 (N52,500)

Thats it. Check the reinforcement details and the formwork to ascertain the quality of the work.

It doesn't have to be overly expensive for it to make meaning.
Good one...lovely breakdown. the prices are not scaring.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by kopell: 10:17pm On Jul 31, 2013
Well done men, I can see your determination to deliver in know time !!! Good job !!!
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 10:20pm On Jul 31, 2013
Checkitaut,

I decided not post project cost and breakdown again cos there are few unsuspecting clients who waste their hard-earned money on hideous contractors and yet come online to argue blindly that N10m cannot finish a foundation. shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by kopell: 11:03pm On Jul 31, 2013
[quote author=brabus]Checkitaut,

I decided not post project cost and breakdown again cos there are few unsuspecting clients who waste their hard-earned money on hideous contractors and yet come online to argue blindly that N10m cannot finish a foundation.

You don't need to stop just because the argue online, do the argue with you. If the do, all you have to do is to proved it to them that can do better then foundation for them with budget of N10m or build house for them at that budget.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 11:03pm On Jul 31, 2013
The Chateau - Nature View Residence in Ile-Oluji

What is the life? Life means different things to different people

For me, I believe Life is waking up to a day of perfect bliss — bird trills, the rustle of leaves in the cool morning breeze, the sweet scent of green forest, and majestic views as far as the eye can see. The best part of all this may be enjoyed in a home at the hillside of a small gated-community in Ile-Oluji highland. A place reserved for people with style.

The project location offers home-owners a chance to go wild with their imagination , building and designing a home they will love and can truly call their own in every respect. I think I'm cherishing this site so much cos that's what I like.

When designing Chateaus, I always think of a spacious landscape with beautiful scenery that invites your being amidst natural surroundings, far from the hustle-bustle and hectic commotion imposed on us. I always think of a place where you can breathe in pollution free O2. A place you can call home.

Features of this Project :

* Every room breathes luxury — from the main lounges’ high-ceilinged room to the large bedrooms with walk-in closets and en-suite toilets and baths.
* Balconies and decks with spectacular views.
* Sitting on over 1 acre of dramatically rolling terrain (you call it slope)
* State-of-the-art reticulation system
* Landscaped garden
* Tree-lined entranceway

and many more
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 11:15pm On Jul 31, 2013
Fence for the Chateau - Design Inspiration

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by kopell: 11:22pm On Jul 31, 2013
@brabus is this the total cost of this project from day one or the cost is for the second Stage of the project .
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by Chekitaut: 11:33pm On Jul 31, 2013
brabus: Checkitaut,

I decided not post project cost and breakdown again cos there are few unsuspecting clients who waste their hard-earned money on hideous contractors and yet come online to argue blindly that N10m cannot finish a foundation. shocked shocked shocked

Let them still follow the expensive materials vendors, There fake belief that "expensive materials are good materials" what we believe here is setting standard. "Those who have eyes let them see, those who have ears let them hear."
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 12:26am On Aug 01, 2013
brabus:

I think the cost difference should be a downward review and not upward because the material cost here are not cheaper than what's obtainable in Sango-otta (except for the bamboos, woods and planks).

1. 350 pcs of 1 x 12 x 12 planks @ N800 - (N280,000)
2. 150 pcs of 2 x 3 x 12 planks @ N250 - (N37,500)
3. 170 bags of cement @ N1750 - (N297,500)
4. 3 bags of Nail @ N5,000 - (N15,000)
5. 2 bundles of binding wire @ N6,000 - (N12,000)
6. 1/2 ton 10mm iron rod @ N120,000 - (N60,000)
7. 3 ton of 12mm iron rod @ N115,000 - (N345,000)
8. 2 ton of 16mm iron rod @ N115,000 - (N230,000)
9. Granite (60 ton) - N300,000
10. Sharp sand (80 ton) - N160,000
11. Stone Dust (20 ton) -
12. Labour charges - (Terrain dependent)
13. Miscellaneous - N150,000
14. Electrical/Mechanical works -
15. Bamboo - 350 pcs @ N150 (N52,500)

Thats it. Check the reinforcement details and the formwork to ascertain the quality of the work.

It doesn't have to be overly expensive for it to make meaning.

Oga Brabus.. you have never disappointed me.. God bless you for this estimates..
When the time comes.. you may have to do the work for me if you are not very busy then..
I owe you plenty for your usual help. God bless you. Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 12:28am On Aug 01, 2013
Chekitaut: Good one...lovely breakdown. the prices are not scaring.

Chekitaut.. I have a bone to pick with you.. (In America.. this means.. I go fight you oh!)
You never get back to me on all the plans and details I sent you..

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 12:36am On Aug 01, 2013
brabus: Checkitaut,

You are right. That is why I was expecting/hoping that you will send the breakdown to my email address.
Because I don't want you to open to any critics/arguments again.. But I thank you very much.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by Chekitaut: 2:18am On Aug 01, 2013
mufutau55:

Chekitaut.. I have a bone to pick with you.. (In America.. this means.. I go fight you oh!)
You never get back to me on all the plans and details I sent you..

Hajji Mufutau
water no get enemy Hajji u get mouth die...Workload to much for me. Let my Oga brabus do the thing i beg.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by JNdupu: 2:38am On Aug 01, 2013
brabus: Fence for the Chateau - Design Inspiration

What do you think?

Na for South Africa man see this kain fence everywhere becos the fear of ogboju arm robber for there naim be the beggining of wisdom. All the rich people dey live like prisoner. I no envy dem at all.

In other words, unless local crime is a problem, I think this design is too claustrophobic especially for the occupants. Not to think of neighbors and passers-by who might need to appreciate your masterpiece (I believe the undulating grounds will be landscaped professionally, and you mentioned a stream somewhere - Chei, you have a perfect canvas man, show it to the world!).

Only my opinion.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 3:24am On Aug 01, 2013
Chekitaut: water no get enemy Hajji u get mouth die...Workload to much for me. Let my Oga brabus do the thing i beg.

I know seh you too busy.. that is why I no bother you..
Don't worry, we still deh friend kampeh! Thank you all the same.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 4:36am On Aug 01, 2013
Yawnn... Hey, sorry my people! My system enter "Sleep Mode" unexpectedly. Back to the topic before the morning bell rings and project resumes
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 4:39am On Aug 01, 2013
First of all, let me say Good morning to you all and say my prayers to the One and only who has been keeping us alive to give us this day (bright, sunny, accident-free, speedy progress and argument free) before I start blogging again. BRB
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by spyder880(m): 4:56am On Aug 01, 2013
brabus: First of all, let me say Good morning to you all and say my prayers to the One and only who has been keeping us alive to give us this day (bright, sunny, accident-free, speedy progress and argument free) before I start blogging again. BRB

Amen to that, sometimes we don't give enough thanks for all the good things of life we enjoy for free. Have a blessed day.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by twinskenny(m): 5:28am On Aug 01, 2013
brabus: First of all, let me say Good morning to you all and say my prayers to the One and only who has been keeping us alive to give us this day (bright, sunny, accident-free, speedy progress and argument free) before I start blogging again. BRB

amen
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 5:47am On Aug 01, 2013
The Chateau - The Story

When I first received a call from my client in October 2012 requesting for my service, the terms of engagement was simply to provide consultancy for a project in Lagos.

It was nice talking to you this morning. As discussed, please find attached the building plan I told you about. Also attached is the block model and the roof plan.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the material and labour cost breakdown. Also, I would be looking forward to a reasonable time schedule for the project and your fee schedule for consultancy services.

Given that the project will commence in a few weeks, it would be useful to get your estimates asap to allow enough time for next steps etc. Many thanks.

Of course, I was so glad to receive the offer and requested for the details of the project including all the drawings which were prepared by another architect who's a friend now, anyway. Why do I need the drawings? I needed to know and simply review the design and offer my professional advice on the project.

Success Factor: Collaboration between clients and designers in the design phase plays an important role in reducing the design changes during construction.

Right from the design phase, you (clients) need to know if the design will be able to satisfy the size and the demand of the project. Hence, you must be very strict in choosing the consultant, designer and perform your due diligence on their capacity. Unfortunately, many simply ignore this and only jump at whatever design they can find online and eventually make headline story of another failed project.

At NextHome, one thing drives us to do better each day: We are only as good as the last home we build. Every house we build is carefully designed with an end in mind.

Based on my review and the assessment of the drawings for proposed development and understanding of the clients demand after series of cross-examination, I asked the client to throw away the design and allow us to come up with something more functional and moderately priced to meet the clients taste and budget. Not minding the extra cost and time delay, I was given the go-ahead to redesign the project.

When my clients say jump, I simply ask how high?

Here are the revisions:

1. 3025mm is just 9ft (a standard bed is 6ft, while kingsize is 7 - 8ft) and that's too small for a study not to talk of Master Bedroom. The Master bedroom is spacious and well ventilated now with a private terrace overlooking the front yard.
2. I see no reason having another toilet in the family living room upstair when all the rooms are en-suite. I believe the family lounge is private. All guests stays on the ground floor and uses the visitors toilet downstair. 6 toilets in a 4 bedroom house is a waste of space and resources.
3. In this revised design, the family room is the first thing you see at the landing of the stair on the upper floor. I think that makes more sense. Having a private terrace for the family room is not a bad idea either, its about bringing the outdoor inside. I don't like it when you can't have a feel of the outside world from the comfort of your living areas.
4. I really don't know what the architect is trying to achieve but 1375mm lobby (less than 5ft) is too small for the stair landing, 3 room doors. I can only imagine how you'll move stuffs into the rooms when moving-in.
5. The house needs breathing space and cross ventilation. The lobby lacks one which means you'll constantly need fresh air in the lobby space. Only God knows where that will come from when all doors are locked.
6. Master Bathroom in the center: truth be told, there'll always be one issue to deal with especially in the bathroom. The plumbing pipe may leak or the drain may block. it will be near impossible to fix problem in the master bath as there'll be too many bends to deal with. One major problem here is the design may cause damp on the living room ceiling downstair if there's a leak. Best design, have your baths close to the surrounding walls.

Some things will not matter in life, the cost of getting it right the first time is one of those things.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 5:57am On Aug 01, 2013
The Result

Imagine if we build what was given to us without recourse to alternative offerings.

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 6:29am On Aug 01, 2013
The Chateau Story - The Original Designed Chateau vs NextHome Redesigned Chateau

Having spent the over 6 months (Oct 2012 - April 2013) consulting with my client over the concept design for the Chateau, the redesign of our second project was done. Of course, the client gave me his design points and we designed the house to reflect these points.

Do the REVISIONS on paper!

After the designs were sent to me, I came up with a review and here it is. My client's response to the review is in blue

I'm taking good look at the 3D again. I still have a feeling that something is not right. HAPPY TO HEAR YOUR VIEW. I WANT TO GET THIS RIGHT AND I STILL DONT THINK I LIKE WHAT I HAVE

Was there any input from you to the architect on this drawing? I just want to know if there are reasons why the arrangement was so. MY INPUT WAS LIMITED TO A GENERAL IDEA OF WHAT I NEEDED - ONE BEDROOM ON THE GROUND FLOOR, DINING, FAMILY LOUNGE, AND LIVING. I WANTED A LOT OF FREE SPACE ON THE GROUND FLOOR IN CASE I NEED TO HOST PEOPLE. I ALSO WANT A FAMILY AREA UPSTAIRS AND THREE ROOMS.

I actually want to avoid a redesign but my heart keep pricking me. I think something is not right. HAPPY TO REDESIGN. NO NEED TO HURRY INTO CONSTRUCTION PHAZE

I notice the following:

1. The position of the visitor's toilet in the ante room didn't cut it for me. I AGREE
2. The entry didn't create the much needed spark. I AGREE Such a massive edifice needs a 'Grand Entry' lighted in a welcoming way that sets tone for the house. I AGREE
3. I have a feeling that the single point of entry at the main lounge isn't enough or right. An access from the carport into the family lounge won't be a bad idea. I can understand that was the reason we have 2 (4ft) doors at the ante-room. In fact, it will be 3 doors in the ante-room by the time we add the visitors toilet to it. Too much for such a small room. HAPPY TO REDESIGN
4. The curvature nature of the front facade left much to be desired. I'm still looking at the front facade. JUST GO AHEAD AND WOW ME smiley

At first look, I actually fell in love with the massive nature of the structure and not the elements that make it up. I love the arrangement and not the features. They're just too simple. The first thing i want to see in a massive building is the 'WOW' effects. Thinking mode activated again. I NEEDED THE WOW EFFECT, IF I DONT ACHIEVE IT I WOULDN'T BE GIVEN A CHIEFTAINCY TITLE smiley

Let me sleep over this and see what I can come up with. I hope I'm not taking this too far. TAKE IT AS FAR AS YOU WANT - JUST GIVE ME THE WOW EFFECT

Below are the original design of the Chateau before I was contacted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 6:32am On Aug 01, 2013
The Chateau - Redesigned by NextHome

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 6:51am On Aug 01, 2013
The Chateau - Delays, Issues and Resolves

We experienced a lot of challenges in this project but we are so determined to successfully deliver the project within stipulated time and budget. Did I just say budget? As result, the project was prioritized based on factors of time and quality. A preliminary assessment of the project site was carried out before we broke ground to determine the factors that might cause delays. Of course, the driveway (accessibility) is the major culprit. The factors were prioritized based on severity.

1. Driveway (Accessibility)
2. Quality of materials supplied (sand)
3. Quantity of materials supplied
4. Lack of experienced local workers
5. Lack of machineries
6. Weather condition

More updates later this evening. Its time for work!
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 6:58am On Aug 01, 2013
Interesting or Not? You'll find out later on this thread how the little boy DAVID killed Goliath

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:30am On Aug 01, 2013
I was asked this question by a silent follower and I've decided to provide an answer on this thread for everyone else to see.

Question

Hi Brabus,

I'm a silent follower of your posts on Nairaland and I do keep a note of your lectures. I just finished my project in Ikorodu (4 bedroom bungalow) and would love to build an overhead tank for the house. Please what size of tank should it be and how much of water will be required for a family of 5 (3 teenagers, my wife and I). We have 2 cars and have a small garden in the front yard.

Thank you.

Answer

Water required per person per day (Bath, Toilet, Cooking and others) = 150 litres

Drinking water = 4litres per person per day

My simple calculation for an overhead water tank for a small bungalow project assuming the average family size is 5 persons

Water required for daily chores per person per day is (150l x 5 persons) = 750 litres

Drinking water required per person per day (4l x 5 persons) = 20 litres

Total quantity of water required = 750+20 = 770 litres

Volume of water = 770/1000 = 0.77 cubic metres

Minimum Tank Size - 1,000 litres

Recommended Tank Size - 1,500 litres

* Water required for washing 1 car, small front yard garden and other things per day - 100 litres

Note: You'll require larger volume of tank if don't want to pump water everyday.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by Chekitaut: 8:39am On Aug 01, 2013
mufutau55:

I know seh you too busy.. that is why I no bother you..
Don't worry, we still deh friend kampeh! Thank you all the same.

Hajji Mufutau
Bros...2 hands up!!! thank u, u stand out in property section, very soon you stand to be the spoke person.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:53am On Aug 01, 2013
Introduction to Structural Loads Calculation

Before you build that house, make adjustment to the existing structure or introduce those new features, please read this!

Clients find it difficult to understand the concept of loads although it is a very simple concept. Here's a post on “Load Calculations” which will help you understand different types of loads that are to be considered for structural designing and also how to calculate them.
You must have heard of this keywords "Live loads" and "Dead Loads". Dead loads as the name implies are non-living objects. It could be the weight of the materials, equipments or any other components in the structure that will remain permanent throughout the life of the structure. Any addition to your structure after the foundation should be communicated to your structural engineer before your project makes a headline of collapsed structure in the dailies or Nairaland.

For the calculations of dead loads, we could consider the following:

1. Columns
2. Beams
3. Footings
4. Lintels
5. Furniture
6. Machinery and other equipment
7. Walls
8. Floors
9. Roofs
10. Ceilings
11. Stairways
12. Built-in partitions
13. Finishes (POP – Plaster of Paris)
14. Cladding (Use of various materials which increase the self weight of the structure) etc.
15. All the permanent loads in your structure

A friends house collapsed sometimes in May last year. The foundation was built for a single level house but he thought it was substantial enough to carry another floor and added to the load on the structure. The rest is story now.

Just because you like that parapet and you just collected bonus from your office, you thought it fit to include in your project without due consultation. You should be prepared for impending danger in the future. Or you felt you want to reduce your cost and decided to introduce a tank slab on that section of the house without checking the structural integrity of the house. Be prepared.

Speak to the experts and be guided accordingly. More info on this subject later on this thread.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by olubuffett: 11:30am On Aug 01, 2013
^^^^^^
Oga teacher! small, small o student no bring lecture note o.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 3:38pm On Aug 01, 2013
Oga Brabus.. Good lecture.. from what I have learnt so far here, I did not learn that much when I was doing my Ph.D.
This is life/live experience, not books. Thanks for the information.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:11pm On Aug 01, 2013
Picture updates

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:15pm On Aug 01, 2013
more pics

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:10pm On Aug 02, 2013
The final preparations for the concrete pour are under way. We've completed the distribution of steel reinforcement bars along the beams, tie beams and ribs to reinforce the slab.

We've also completed coordination with the electrical contractor and the plumbing contractor to set up the necessary sleeves that will allow them to pull their wires / pipes through the slab after the concrete pour.

Progress pictures, as well as some detail work below:

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (49) (Reply)

This Building Located At Iyana Era, Along Badagry Expressway, Ijanikin, Lagos / Build a Standard 3Bedroom On A half Plot Of 324sqmetres at an Affordable Cost / Can I Build This Type Of House In Three Months?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.