Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,760 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) (29379 Views)

Saraki Faces Fresh Charges For Receiving Governor’s Salary As Senator / Press Release: Agbaje Promises Pedestrian Bridge, Reduced Charges For Ladipo / Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Nenum(m): 10:26am On Jul 11, 2013
Giving them one month ultimatum, to review the the fixed "usage" tarrif with a threat that if nothing of worth is done, we (over a million customer's) wuold be left with no other option than to by pass.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Princessaleeza: 11:12am On Jul 11, 2013
Imagine 2 days ago some pple came 2 my compound dat their collecting Television $ Radio fee.Honestly I don't no what Nig is turning 2 cos everybody is looking 4 means 2 get money.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Sobams07: 11:13am On Jul 11, 2013
@op d charges now don increase o no b #750 it is #800 now
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by dontecrosofiso(m): 11:52am On Jul 11, 2013
LEvuls: @OP & MODERATOR where did u get this info from
mek una no come hype people spirit wit an uncomfirmed nuis.
pls verify wit source!
Tanku u undecided
please try to be current at all the time before saying anything,it is not by force for you to speak all the time.this issue is very correct infact,in kaduna here is 800 naira,because i went to buy the sum of 2000 naira,but to my surprise they gave me only 21 units,i asked what is the problem?they now told me that monthly charges are now increased to 800 naira.the staff said now they are even afraid of their lives because angry youths will very soon set fire on them in the office if the phcn did not announce the changes in the media.therefore,it is very truth.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by MiloRambaldi(m): 12:02pm On Jul 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: From my understanding of the electricity billing system, the FIXED charges is a necessary evil. The FIXED charges is the component of the electricity bill from which the distribution company replaces damaged or faulty distribution facilities: transformers, cables, feeders,etc. Funds from the FIXED charges are collected in a pool from which these facilities are replaced or repaired immediately without bothering the consumer. The fixed charges was until recently N500 per month.

The other component of the electricity bill is the energy consumption bill, ie fees for actual power consumed in a month. The funds from this pool goes to the company that generates the power (generation company) to offset the cost of generation and pay for gas or whatever is the source of the power. This used to be about N12 per KWH for most people.

However, the reality is that because of rampant cases of energy thievery by mostly unpatriotic Nigerians, PHCN is virtually surviving on the fixed charges. Many Nigerians cheat the system: either they do not pay for energy consumed or they grossly under-pay. So the fixed charges has now become a lifeline for the struggling PHCN. Since it is fixed, no one can evade payment. Without the fixed charges, the revenue of PHCN would have dropped to near zero with the roll out of pre-payment meters and rampant cases of meter by-pass.

Nonetheless, the increment of the FIXED charges from N500 to N650 or more as the case maybe is insensitive. If we must increase fees to meet certain targets, a more gradual increment (eg N50 added every year) would have been the best approach. NERC should reconsider this issue and opt for a more gradual increment

People understand the need to maintain infrastructure. The telecoms companies do same, yet don't have a fixed charge. What needs to happen is to dissolve this charge as % of the energy rate, instead of a fixed charge. No one wants to pay a fixed amount for services not consumed. Let it be part of the bill. Or would you pay a fixed charge for owning a mobile phone line, for the crappy reason that the Telcos need to maintain infrastructure?
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by ogayor: 12:14pm On Jul 11, 2013
Godson201333: Please what is the full meaning of PHCN??

Please Hold your Candle at Night -PHCN

1 Like

Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by holykeyz: 12:24pm On Jul 11, 2013
Buben: PHCN and investors are set to make N1b monthly for doing nothing. PHCN and their new investors have increased the Fixed charge for Prepaid meters from N225 to N500 and now N750. We are told the target is N1000 monthly.

What this means is that, PHCN and the New investors, can go to bed, do nothing and still collect N1b every month from 1 Million subscribers of Prepaid meters. My God! How can this be happening?!

Wasn't the essence of the prepaid meters to ensure PHCN make electricity available and when it's not available, we don't pay as against the past when we usually paid NEPA for not giving Light?

With this introduction of High Fixed Charges, why would a company be willing to provide regular electricity when they are guaranteed a sum of N1b every month whether they work or not. I just don't understand the formulation of laws in this country.

Its such a shame what corruption has turned our politicians into. Monsters with no heart. This has to stop.

Its like GSM companies charging us N750 for just owning a Hand set. We are been charged N750 for owning a meter and yet we still pay electricity rates. Its wrong.

If you agree re-broadcast until it gets to someone in position to do something. If you just sit back, you never can tell what they will do next.

Charge you for your bore hole?

Its possible. Let's speak out now.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by teeboi1(m): 1:34pm On Jul 11, 2013
People, I'm happy to find this here, They make us pay for meter and the meter still belongs to them, my neighbors meter got damaged and the PHCN officials said He has to buy a new meter at 45k when the burnt terminal could actually be changed, He changed the terminal and the PHCN staffs came back later saying He had tampered with the meter and they brought a notice and fine of 180k for loss of revenue, when He pays approximately 7K monthly.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by sammhi(m): 2:22pm On Jul 11, 2013
this charge (750)is fraudulent, vexatious, irritating, ridiculous and unacceptable.
we must take it to national assembly. it must be stopped and scrapped. if there must be a charge it should not be less than 100.
I hope the national assembly members are not sharers of this fraud
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by FILEBE(m): 3:41pm On Jul 11, 2013
tee boi: People, I'm happy to find this here, They make us pay for meter and the meter still belongs to them, my neighbors meter got damaged and the PHCN officials said He has to buy a new meter at 45k when the burnt terminal could actually be changed, He changed the terminal and the PHCN staffs came back later saying He had tampered with the meter and they brought a notice and fine of 180k for loss of revenue, when He pays approximately 7K monthly.

ha! watch it! d
dey wan open bank untop una head o
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by PeeDaVinci: 4:11pm On Jul 11, 2013
Jenams: They r criminals! Dis is exactly wat made me connected directly n bypass d meter. Dem neva see anytin
you are the real criminal here! for even having the effrontery to say it without any form of caution and regret shows you are one of the people destroying this country. it is the cost that you refuse to pay that is being passed on to everyone else. and sadly enough, u r one of the pple that likes pointing accusing fingers to gej, fashola and the likes.

building up tis country is the job of everyone, if some are not doing theirs, that does not give u the justification not to do yours.

please note: i am not excusing phcn, they are a bunch of criminals tooo!
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by master2(m): 4:13pm On Jul 11, 2013
I'v been shouting over this fixed cost increase on social media for the pasted 2 months since they increase it, but it seems ppl are just noticing it shocked
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by deleteme: 4:17pm On Jul 11, 2013
Pls am sorrry oooo, where is the source of this info, cos i just asked a member of the Power Committeee in NA and he denied it.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Demdem(m): 4:24pm On Jul 11, 2013
londoner: I think if people were paying higher prices, but experiencing constant light, for at least 18hrs a day......they probably would not be as outraged.

People are rightly up in arms, because they are paying for something they are not receiving.

Excellent summation.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Shinatu: 5:11pm On Jul 11, 2013
What facility does PHCN repair without bothering the customer? maybe the one that has to do with power generation, but with distribution, if something do your transformer, na you go contribute money fix am!
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by aidelojestan(m): 5:13pm On Jul 11, 2013
This is indeed a serious issue and should not be encouraged. Last wk when I went to their office to purchase credit, I was told to pay 1500k + N90 for VAT b4 I could get new credit. I had no choice bt to comply. Its really amazing. And worst still is the fast rate @ which its reading...gosh! Even when one puts off all d electrical stuff, its still reading. Na wa o
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by rabzy: 7:15pm On Jul 11, 2013
deleteme: Pls am sorrry oooo, where is the source of this info, cos i just asked a member of the Power Committeee in NA and he denied it.
oga u no dey pay nepa bill. just get any nepa for d month of june from a neighbor and u will see d evidence gadagba.

pple using prepaid metres are better off than us whose metres have been deemed irredeemable. we get crazy bills, i am charged an average of 6000 monthly plus their foolish service charge of 750 am now doomed to about7000 for a 3 bedroom flat, I don't even use ac nor oven.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 11, 2013
Ngwakwe: You mean if I dump my Glo SIM for MTN or rather forfeit owning one that I will be indirectly charged on loading Credit to my MTN SIM after two years?

Haba, this one na lie. This extortion is indefensible.

Its a matter of nomenclature. One can decide to collapse all the charges into one and call it a particular name or compartmentallise the charges. For the GSM networks, because of the nature of their services, ALL charges have been built into the call and data tarrif. But PHCN decided, for ease of administration, to compartmentallise their own charges into- VAT, fixed, energy consumed,etc.

Nonetheless, the price increase should have been done in a more pocket friendly manner (eg add N50 every year)
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Ekavint: 9:11pm On Jul 11, 2013
I think just because we all are craving for this light to be actualize at all cost, they are using this to indirectly undo us thinking we dont catch what they are doing. I strongly suggest that the government should drastically reduce taxes for the sake of the common man. Note, things are really difficult with the peasant populace.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by dabigwalls: 9:14pm On Jul 11, 2013
P
ayobase:

Two wrongs wouldn't make it right.....its a sin bypassing no matter what condition or reason attached...Cheating has no other name. Disconnect totally, and seek for other source of electricity if u aint okay with their ridiculous terms and conditions!

I agree with you. So PHCN is free to cheat.
My piece of advice!
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by dabigwalls: 9:15pm On Jul 11, 2013
P
ayobase:

Two wrongs wouldn't make it right.....its a sin bypassing no matter what condition or reason attached...Cheating has no other name. Disconnect totally, and seek for other source of electricity if u aint okay with their ridiculous terms and conditions!

My piece of advice!

I agree with you. So PHCN can cheat.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by MiloRambaldi(m): 11:31pm On Jul 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Its a matter of nomenclature. One can decide to collapse all the charges into one and call it a particular name or compartmentallise the charges. For the GSM networks, because of the nature of their services, ALL charges have been built into the call and data tarrif. But PHCN decided, for ease of administration, to compartmentallise their own charges into- VAT, fixed, energy consumed,etc.

Nonetheless, the price increase should have been done in a more pocket friendly manner (eg add N50 every year)

They should lump the charges together. Bottom line, people should be charged for only what they consume irrespective of the components of the bill. End of.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by redsun(m): 11:39pm On Jul 11, 2013
rabzy:
oga u no dey pay nepa bill. just get any nepa for d month of june from a neighbor and u will see d evidence gadagba.

pple using prepaid metres are better off than us whose metres have been deemed irredeemable. we get crazy bills, i am charged an average of 6000 monthly plus their foolish service charge of 750 am now doomed to about7000 for a 3 bedroom flat, I don't even use ac nor oven.

Seven thousand naira is about 30 pounds a month. That is not bad for three bedroom apartment. Electricity cost money,but your problem is that you hardly get light.

The bills you pay should ne in proportion with the money you earn. If you don't earn enough,you don't need three bedroom house.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by IseOluwa777(m): 2:03am On Jul 12, 2013
Well without a prepaid meter, we have to live with some terribly and outrageously crazy bills. I have since resolved to "enjoy" the light whenever I see it - that means I use it with reckless abandon, afterall they will be coming with their bill.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by mfm04622: 2:44am On Jul 12, 2013
We seems to forget that electricity have two types of cost, fixed cost and variable cost. The fixed aspect is huge and is what is addressed by the fixed bill that is charged. the fixed cost is incurred whether you get light or not while variable cost is addressed by charging you for the electricity you use. There is nothing wrong in paying fixed bill, what we should ensure is that money recouped from such fixed bill is invested in infrastructure in the power sector
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by InMyOpinion(m): 3:36pm On Jul 12, 2013
deleteme: Pls am sorrry oooo, where is the source of this info, cos i just asked a member of the Power Committeee in NA and he denied it.
I guess u mean National Assemply people? wake up- these guys dont Pay PHCN bills
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by rabzy: 1:55pm On Jul 13, 2013
redsun:

Seven thousand naira is about 30 pounds a month. That is not bad for three bedroom apartment. Electricity cost money,but your problem is that you hardly get light.

The bills you pay should ne in proportion with the money you earn. If you don't earn enough,you don't need three bedroom house.

Yeah we hardly get the light, I still have to run my gen, another issue with the bill is that the same amount is given to a whole house that has upwards of 40 to 50 occupants. Houses that have up to 4 or more 3 bedroom flats are given the same amount if they all share a metre.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Eklektika(m): 8:24am On Sep 26, 2013
Godson201333: Please what is the full meaning of PHCN??

PHCN Means Problem Has Changed Name

Datsall!
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Eklektika(m): 8:29am On Sep 26, 2013
ogayor:

Please Hold your Candle at Night -PHCN

PHCN means Problem Has Changed Name. shocked
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by benzion72(m): 10:43am On Oct 10, 2013
@MFM
Your argument sound plausible, but the hole in it is that it is not the responsibility of the consumer to pay up your fixed cost, that is not supplying any power, Why not factor in all your cost into your kilowatt hour, I hardly use 10KW a month cause there is no power to drive it.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Chiefoomii: 5:53pm On Feb 05, 2015
PHCN. There is God oooo. #750 monthly and I will still pay for using light. This is a rip off. It must stop ASAP.
Re: N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) by Obyn: 3:49pm On Oct 23, 2015
Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Communication,
Plot 1099, first avenue,
Off Shehu Shagari way,
PMB 136,
Abuja.

Ibadan Forum Office,
Jibowu street opp Magara
Police Station,
Iyaganki GRA Ibadan
Oyo state

Good Afternoon Sir,

Complaint for Weeks without Electricity in my street

I want to compliment ‎PHCN for the efforts in improving the power sector in Nigeria. Nigerians are happy and pray God to continue to guide and bring more improvement with this demanding sector.

I resident  in Adeosun street Oluyole estate Ibadan‎ where all the neighbouring streets and close enjoy this wonderful improvement of PHCN but the mentioned street stay in total darkness for weeks and months because the residence do not have extra money to bribe d PHCN official for them to be releasing paid services to the people on that street. Presently for 3 weeks they have not   been electricity, although they said is general but this Adeosun street Oluyole estate is a normal trend because when others even have light this particular street stay in darkness. Tenants park to the neighbouring streets because of bad electrician problem. Please kindly intervene because very few families now stay on the street because they are landlords and they cant leave their built houses to becoming a tenant.  Kindly stop this  high rate of corruption because people on the street are full of complaint despite  the great  improvement of PHCN in Nigeria.

I would be most grateful and will appreciate a reply that my complain is been worked on.

Thank you. 

What is NERC and what does NERC really do?
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) was established in October, 2005 as part of the reforms in the electricity sector. NERC is not NEPA (the defunct Nigerian Electric Power Authority), but it can be compared to the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) which regulates telecommunications in Nigeria. For more about NERC, click here: About Us 
NERC is to ensure that:
-    The electricity market is efficient;
-    Prices charged are fair;
-    Access to electricity is maximised both in urban and rural areas;
-    Rights of the customers are protected;
-    Electricity is adequate, reliable and safe;
-    Ensure that the there is a level playing field for the customers, operators and intending investors.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) / Bandex: Kaduna Declares July 12 Work-Free As Buhari, El-Rufai, Ibrahim Mourn / Atiku Does Not Deserve Rivers PDP Votes – Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.