Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,424 members, 7,822,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World (30482 Views)

Ben-Bruce Mocked Buhari With The Age Of His Ministers(Photos) / Employers Of Labour Should Consider Men Of Marriageable Age / Women Are Still Banned From These Things In Various Places Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by coogar: 7:24pm On Jul 23, 2013
biolabee: The cougar
Back to the debate on the constitution
Though the debate was about renunciation n not underage marriage. The implication of that subsection that a married woman of any age is of sufficient capacity to renoubce means that an underage woman who is married is deemed full age and that is the issue

i understand that perfectly but nigerians actually think this bit was about to be added, when in fact, it has always been there since i was born. seriously, what does it change in the grand scheme of things? removal or addition would not stop those mallams from doing their child marriages.

On the cancer issue, though europe has higher incidences of xancer than afrika, they hsve a lower mortality rate due to better medical care
Data should be contextually defined
Or wat do u think

exactly.....
so how can anyone say cancer is a disease of the poor man when it's easier to contract it in developed nations than in impoverished countries? to draw this comparison with VVF is erroneous because VVF doesn't even exist anymore in developed nations. if all the 10-year olds in the US get pregnant tonight, not a single one of them would have to treat VVF.

there's prevention and there's cure.....

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 7:29pm On Jul 23, 2013
coogar:

i understand that perfectly but nigerians actually think this bit was about to be added, when in fact, it has always been there since i was born. seriously, what does it change in the grand scheme of things? removal or addition would not stop those mallams from doing their child marriages.

exactly.....
so how can anyone say cancer is a disease of the poor man when it's easier to contract it in developed nations than in impoverished countries? to draw this comparison with VVF is erroneous because VVF doesn't even exist anymore in developed nations. if all the 10-year olds in the US get pregnant tonight, not a single one of them would have to treat VVF.

there's prevention and there's cure.....

The issue is actually the child rights bill which was supposed to be ratified at state level
The northern states have not
Maybe this was a backdoor route

Cancer has traditionally been a disease of prosperity
That is fact

Nice debate though
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 23, 2013
bgirl:

Too late. Show's over. Maybe next time... Start an interesting post and maybe, just maybe, I will grace it with my wit!

You're so full of yourself. Well, it's typical.

However, don't make any assertion and end up denying it like your sis, fellis the mennis.

Choose a subject matter.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by 99cent: 1:32am On Jul 24, 2013
biolabee: The cougar

Back to the debate on the constitution

Though the debate was about renunciation n not underage marriage

The implication of that subsection that a married woman of any age is of sufficient capacity to renoubce means that an underage woman who is married is deemed full age and that is the issue

On the cancer issue, though europe has higher incidences of xancer than afrika, they hsve a lower mortality rate due to better medical care
Data should be contextually defined

Or wat do u think

the debate is absolutely NOT about renunciation of citizenship. It is 100% about underage marriage.

a citizen of Nigeria is defined to be an adult at 18 yrs of age.
and a married girl who is not 18 is an adult by virtue of her marriage. according to nigerian law, such a girl is not required to go to school, can be pregnant at a very early age and it is very legal and justified by law. This is absolutely repulsive!! In fact, I didn't know this was in the Nigerian constitution until this whole incident. It was introduced into the Nigerian constitution in 1979 by a northern mallam who claimed that the law needed to be changed to fit islamic ways. ie little female children (the clause specifically mentions "women" ) should be considered adults and allowed to marry.
This is the clause that the northern senators refused to remove. because it is against "islamic law"

---
The cancer stuff is unrelated but yup you are right. westerners have lower mortality rate therefore higher cases of chronic illness related to longer lives ex. Alzheimer, most cancers, arthritis etc. developing countries are plagued more with infectious diseases but tend not to live long enough or have a good health care system to manage chronic illnesses.
Diabetes is one of the few chronic illnesses that is rising rapidly in third world countries it affects middle age folks but can be seen in younger people too in rare cases.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by 99cent: 1:50am On Jul 24, 2013
biolabee:

The issue is actually the child rights bill which was supposed to be ratified at state level
The northern states have not
Maybe this was a backdoor route

You are completely correct!
the child rights bill (passed in most southern states early this year) gave the impetus for the clause to be brought forward to be expunged. But the northerners voted against it.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by 99cent: 2:52am On Jul 24, 2013
Senator Yerima Responds to Critics of Child Marriage

SENATOR AHMED SANI YARIMAN BAKURA REPLIES HIS ENEMIES

''Nigeria has many uncountable problems and none of them is early marriage. As a matter of fact early marriage the solution to about half of our problems. For those who wonder if I can give my daughter(s) out in marriage at the age of 9 or 13, I tell you most honestly, I can give her out at the age of 6 if I want to and its not your business.

This is because I am a Muslim and I follow the example of the best of mankind, Muhammad ﺻَﻠَّﻰ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ ﻋَﻠَﻴْﻪِ ﻭَﺳَﻠَّﻢَ .

In Islam, marriage is not only about sex, it is about family and helping one another in achieving their goals, which is the attainment of Paradise.

In Islam, a girl can be given out in marriage as early as 6 years old, but consummation of the marriage can only be done when the girl becomes physically mature and she gives her consent to it because unlike English law, it is not permissible for a man To Molest his wife in Shari'ah Law.

So what can anybody tell me?

~ I live in a city where young girls at the age of 12 have already became serial fornicators and cannot count the number of man they've Were Intimate with.

~ I live in a City where primary school children disvirgin themselves behind toilets on Valentine day.

~ I live in a city where young girls flood the street at night looking for men that would give them N500 to Be Intimate with them.

~ I live in a city where parents send their daughters out overseas to prostitute and send dollars down.

~ I live in a City where Government officials pick undergraduates from University car parks with Coastal Buses to wild sex parties.

~ I live in a city where abortion is so common that even a Chemist shop owner can perform abortion with just N2,500.

These are your daughters, and this should worry you and not Yerima's private matters. So ask me again why I support early marriage and I will slap the Jinn out of your head''.

- Senator Ahmad Sani Yarima
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by 99cent: 2:52am On Jul 24, 2013
say NO to child slavery marriage.

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by biolabee(m): 6:44am On Jul 24, 2013
And this matter is righteous and should be supported 100 percent

#Occupy #NoChildBride

This is a human rights issue that affects our daughters, leads to increased healthcare costs with fistulas, reduced educational and job opportunities for girl children with consequent increase in beggars and almajiris to join the teeming hordes of bokomic haram
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by jechona(m): 10:05am On Jul 25, 2013
OAM4J: You dont seem to get it.

It doesn't matter if any religion, culture, document/law approves it. The question is knowing what we know about motherhood and family today, is it right? Will you approve your under age sister and daughter to get married?

Can a 13/14 year old child adequately handle the pressure of pregnancy, motherhood and marriage?

If we believe these children are not even capable of deciding a good leader for the nation during elections, why do we think they are capable of making a serious decision such as marriage for themselves.

We should be fighting to remove such abuse from every religion, culture and law books and not justify or approve the abuse with them.

i seriously agree with you.
Some people don't reason when taking decisions. Perhaps, thier plight for sex has taking over thier brain.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar Reacts To Election Postponement & Its Effect On Our Economy (Pic) / Jonathan Commissions The Flyover Bridge At Kundila Roundabout, Kano - Photos / Festus Keyamo Blasts PDP Supporters, Calls Them "Ekpa"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.