Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,625 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World (30463 Views)

Ben-Bruce Mocked Buhari With The Age Of His Ministers(Photos) / Employers Of Labour Should Consider Men Of Marriageable Age / Women Are Still Banned From These Things In Various Places Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 1:29am On Jul 21, 2013
Vatican City (Roman Catholic): 18 as the age of majority, in the case of minors; 16 for males and 14 for females with parental or judicial consent per code of canon law.

New Hampshire (USA): Applicants who has reached the age of 18 can marry without parental consent.
A female between the age of 13 and 17 years and a male between the age of 14 and 17 years can be married only with the permission of their parent (guardian) and a waiver (See Waiver).
Waivers: When "good and special cause" is shown waivers may be obtained which can alter certain requirements.

New York (USA): If either applicant is under 14 years of age, a marriage license cannot be issued.
If either applicant is 14 or 15 years of age, such applicant(s) must present the written consent of both parents and a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge of the Family Court having jurisdiction over the town or city in which the application is made.

South Carolina (USA): If you are under 18, you will need a certified copy of your birth certificate and a notarized statement of parental consent.
The minimum age for a female is 15 (13 if she is pregnant, has a physician's statement verifying same, and the consent of her parents) and it is 16 for a male.

Angola: 15 with parental consent, although this restriction is not enforced effectively and the traditional age of marriage in lower income groups often coincides with the onset of puberty.

Tanzania: 18 for males and 15 for females. 15 with court permission if specific circumstances make marriage appear desirable. The Penal Code provides that persons of "African or Asiatic descent" may marry or permit marriage of a girl under 12 in accordance with their custom or religion if marriage is not intended to be consummated before she is 12.

Denmark: 18, or 15 with an exemption named "Kongebrev" (which is a "letter from the king [granting an exemption]"wink.

Georgia: 18 but 15 with parental consent.

Lithuania: 18, 15 with court permission, minors can only marry below 15 if they are pregnant females with court permission.

Bolivia: 14 for female, 16 for male.

Paraguay: 16 for men, 14 for women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age

10 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 1:33am On Jul 21, 2013
Evidently it isn't just an Islamic thing, the same thing happens in different cultures around the world. Even the Vatican isn't left out of the party. So why the hoopla about something as irrelevant as this and the distraction it's causing from the real issues Nigerians ought to deal with right now?

Anyway, I don't believe in marriage as an institution - I think it needs to be redefined. However, people need to be allowed to lead their lives the way they want, as long as it's part of their culture.

31 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by OAM4J: 2:02am On Jul 21, 2013
You dont seem to get it.

It doesn't matter if any religion, culture, document/law approves it. The question is knowing what we know about motherhood and family today, is it right? Will you approve your under age sister and daughter to get married?

Can a 13/14 year old child adequately handle the pressure of pregnancy, motherhood and marriage?

If we believe these children are not even capable of deciding a good leader for the nation during elections, why do we think they are capable of making a serious decision such as marriage for themselves.

We should be fighting to remove such abuse from every religion, culture and law books and not justify or approve the abuse with them.

141 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 2:03am On Jul 21, 2013
embarassed

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 2:26am On Jul 21, 2013
OAM4J: You dont seem to get it.

It doesn't matter if any religion, culture, document/law approves it. The question is knowing what we know about motherhood and family today, is it right? Will you approve your under age sister and daughter to get married?

Can a 13/14 year old child adequately handle the pressure of pregnancy, motherhood and marriage?

If we believe these children are not even capable of deciding a good leader for the nation during elections, why do we think they are capable of making a serious decision such as marriage for themselves.

We should be fighting to remove such abuse from every religion, culture and law books and not justify or approve the abuse with them.

1. Sir, that isn't my point - my point is that: people should be allowed freedom to their way-of-life. The Northerner Senators voted overwhelmingly for it and no Northerner has come out to speak out against it, so why're Southerners crying-me-a-river over what has absolutely nothing to do with them? At the end of the day, they aren't forcing anyone to practise, it's just there to enable those who believe in it do what they think is right for them.

2. Right or wrong is subjective and also based on outlook. Beating a child and child labour are wrong to most people. However, it's normal in Africa. So who am I to judge what a person thinks is right or wrong? Also, I definitely won't allow my under-aged sister and daughter to get married because it isn't part of my way-of-life and the consciousness instilled in me by my parents. But I definitely won't stop anyone else who believes in it, from doing it. How a person chooses to lead his/her life is non of my business.

3. There are also tons of adults (old bodies with young souls) who can't handle all these as well - should we also stop them from getting married?

Lastly, life is all about choices and if the people it affects directly are in support of it - why should we be ones fighting against it? When Northerners/Muslims start fighting against it - then I'll support their cause. Till then, we need to stop the distractions and focus on Nigeria, and all the unique problems in the country.

78 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 3:20am On Jul 21, 2013
OAM4J: You dont seem to get it.

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 3:26am On Jul 21, 2013
Also, I think evolution should be a gradual thing and people shouldn't be forced to evolve to make them conform to what we believe is the "right" thing to do. Doing such would be counterproductive on the long run. We can draw comparisons with how western styled democracy is being forced of people in the MENA and how that has made that part of the world unstable, and a threat to all of us.

We call also go back in time to European societies from the mid-century to the late 19th/20th century when under-age marriage (with girls as young as 7) was legal...and how despite being legal, majority of the people still got married above the age of 21. And as their consciousness evolved - the practice became obsolete, and 16 was made the legal age. Even now that the legal age is 16 - the average age of marriage in Europe is far higher than that (probably around 27.2).

During the Victorian era as well, in.cest and class marriages were a norm in Europe. However, as they evolved - the attitudes of the people changed towards those practices. Hence, why in.cest was banned in the UK.

7 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by OAM4J: 3:34am On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

1. Sir, that isn't my point - my point is that: people should be allowed freedom to their way-of-life. The Northerner Senators voted overwhelmingly for it and no Northerner has come out to speak out against it, so why're Southerners crying-me-a-river over what has absolutely nothing to do with them? At the end of the day, they aren't forcing anyone to practise, it's just there to enable those who believe in it do what they think is right for them.

This is not about North Vs South or Muslims Vs Christians. This is about what we should accept as Nigerians. If recent knowledge prove to us that what we consider as a way of life is wrong, then it calls for a change and not allow few us to sentimentally hold on to it as a way of life. Change is the only constant thing in life and sometimes we have to fight for that change. For instance slavery was a way of life supported by many cultures and religion in the past but many fought against it in the light of its evil. The world is better for it today.

2. Right or wrong is subjective and also based on outlook. Beating a child and child labour are wrong to most people. However, it's normal in Africa. So who am I to judge what a person thinks is right or wrong? Also, I definitely won't allow my under-aged sister and daughter to get married because it isn't part of my way-of-life and the consciousness instilled in me by my parents. But I definitely won't stop anyone else who believes in it, from doing it. How a person chooses to lead his/her life is non of my business.

If we are honest to ourselves, what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. We have to look at every issue objectively, consider its merit and demerit, and then hold on to what we know is true and fair to all. Fact is we are not being fair to these kids if we allow these few pedophiles to keep mortgaging their future. They are young, weak, helpless and powerless. Those of us that know the truth should fight for them and free them.

3. There are also tons of adults (old bodies with young souls) who can't handle all these as well - should we also stop them from getting married?

YES! Marriage is not for everyone. Anyone who knows he/she cannot handle it should be discouraged from going into it. And if he or she decides to go into it then it becomes his/her choice or cup of tea, cos we expect him/her to know what is good for him/her as an adult

Lastly, life is all about choices and if the people it affects directly are in support of it - why should we be ones fighting against it? When Northerners/Muslims start fighting against it - then I'll support their cause. Till then, we need to stop the distractions and focus on Nigeria, and all the unique problems in the country.

Again like I said earlier, the fight is not about North Vs South or Muslims Vs Christians. It is a fight for Nigerian young girls that are helpless, voiceless, weak and incapable of making the right choices you talk about. We need to defend them and fight for them. Child marriage must be stopped everywhere, in every religion and culture cos it is bad.

Imagine if Mary Slessor had said same about killing of twins; after all it was the choice of the community concerned and none of those concerned was complaining at the time, am sure no one will be celebrating her as they do today. My people say "Oun ti oda koda" (What is wrong is wrong).

85 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by tellwisdom: 3:48am On Jul 21, 2013
Shymex must have taken some mariyuana before jumping on his rusty computer to send this mail.
Of what use is it, marrying under age kids(I call them kids cos they know nothing) who cant even cook, nor wash their pants properly?? This is ritual, i must tell you. sad

17 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by luvmijeje(f): 3:51am On Jul 21, 2013
OAM4J:

This is not about North Vs South or Muslims Vs Christians. This is about what we should accept as Nigerians. If recent knowledge prove to us that what we consider as a way of life is wrong, then it calls for a change and not allow few us to sentimentally hold on to it as a way of life. Change is the only constant thing in life and sometimes we have to fight for that change. For instance slavery was a way of life supported by many cultures and religion in the past but many fought against it in the light of its evil. The world is better for it today.

If we are honest to ourselves, what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. We have to look at every issue objectively, consider its merit and demerit, and then hold on to what we know is true and fair to all. Fact is we are not being fair to these kids if we allow these few pedophiles to keep mortgaging their future. They are young, weak, helpless and powerless. Those of us that know the truth should fight for them and free them.

YES! Marriage is not for everyone. Anyone who knows he/she cannot handle it should be discouraged from going into it. And if he or she decides to go into it then it becomes his/her choice or cup of tea, cos we expect him/her to know what is good for him/her as an adult

Again like I said earlier, the fight is not about North Vs South or Muslims Vs Christians. It is a fight for Nigerian young girls that are helpless, voiceless, weak and incapable of making the right choices you talk about. We need to defend them and fight for them. Child marriage must be stopped everywhere, in every religion and culture cos it is bad.
I'm sorry that I just couldn't resist quoting you again. God bless you.

17 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by lyfe(m): 3:52am On Jul 21, 2013
I do agree with Shym-x, but the case is different here. If you go through the clauses attached to those laws stating that minors can get married you will find out that:

A minor and a minor is a YES.

A minor(girl) with slight deviation in age not more than 10 years YES, but more than 10 years difference NO

The person, especially man asking hand in marriage must not be in the position of authority; must not be your teacher, doctor, pastor, imam, senator, nanny etc.

17 and 19 is okay, while 16 and 27 is a NO NO.

So 13 years old girl and 50 something years old Mallam/Senator....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

33 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by koruji(m): 4:01am On Jul 21, 2013
The nose is actually quite a bit off from the eyes, my friend.
There is a reason why teenhood is a marking point in the development of the human person.
Anything below 13 is cradle-robbing, anything between 13 and 18 is unconscionable.
Besides, laws are a form of minima requirements - we still need to apply our common sense and humanity.
Anybody in this age that consigns the future of a youth to the serfdom of a husband at a young age is a criminal.

It is indeed sad that you fail to see the connection between this kind of stupidity and our national problems, and therefore see them as separate. Babies are consigned to producing new babies in an unending cycle. Boys are thrown into the streets to beg and join up with gangs of religious fundamentalists - 10 to 20 years later they come back with revenge when the illusion of their situation hits them - and then you have Boko Haram and its predecessors (Maitasine, et al.). Those privileged among them come back from their religious indoctrination to assume the position of "senator" of the republic aka Yerima.

Unjust and selfish application of religion is the real problem we need to solve in Nigeria.

ShyM-X:
Evidently it isn't just an Islamic thing, the same thing happens in different cultures around the world. Even the Vatican isn't left out of the party. So why the hoopla about something as irrelevant as this and the distraction it's causing from the real issues Nigerians ought to deal with right now?

Anyway, I don't believe in marriage as an institution - I think it needs to be redefined. However, people need to be allowed to lead their lives the way they want, as long as it's part of their culture.

14 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by koruji(m): 4:09am On Jul 21, 2013
I hope you were conscious when you wrote the below? Are you suggesting that allowing people "freedom to their way-of-life" include allowing them to deny a young kind her own god-given freedom to live free and make their own decisions in life? Are you in the fullness of your mind considering a girl of 6, 9 or 13 forced (forced because she is incapable of consenting) as being allowed her "freedom to her own way of life"?

Most of the evils that have been perpetrated on planet earth were actually the way of life of some people - that did not make them permissible or something that should be practiced in the 21st century.

No God, no matter what his name, made your third-leg the authority over another's life - it is as simple as that.

ShyM-X:
Sir, that isn't my point - my point is that: people should be allowed freedom to their way-of-life.

21 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 4:13am On Jul 21, 2013
OAM4J:

Imagine if Mary Slessor had said same about killing of twins; after all it was the choice of the community concerned and none of those concerned was complaining at the time, am sure no one will be celebrating her as they do today. My people say "Oun ti oda koda" (What is wrong is wrong).

Sir, I believe in the responsibility to protect(R2P) and being your brother's keeper. However, before you can "protect" or take a stand with the next person - there has to be a form of willingness and solidarity from the affected party. We can't just fight for people who aren't willing to fight and free themselves from the shackles of medievality - else it will be counterproductive and we won't get our desired results. It has to be of collective agreement between the affected party and those willing to support their stand. Northerners have to take a stand first - then we'll stand with by them - and fight against it together.

Also, slavery wasn't stopped because the culprits wanted to stop it. It was stopped due to revolting and belligerent slaves and how they made it less lucrative. The slaves took a stand and the liberal minded folks supported them. Same with the civil rights movement, fight against colonialism, and fight against apartheid.

I know change is the only constant thing in life, however, if want to make the change a permanent one - it has to be a bottom-up change. Even if we're able to fight and make under-age marriages illegal - will that stop them from doing it? I believe prostitution, child labour, sex with minor etc. are illegal in Nigeria, however, has that stopped people from engaging in those acts with impunity? We need to start off by fighting to make our institutions (especially the judiciary and the police force) effective and helping in mass education of our Northern brothers and sisters. Then, they'll be prepared to take a stand and we can also stand next to them, to achieve the desired result. Window dressing approach will never work.

Right and wrong, good and bad, and black and white - they all depend on human consciousness and outlook to life. In-betweeners will always have it better due to their non-commitment to either side. But, some will say everything isn't black and white, and gray is more like it.

However, I believe under-age marriage is wrong based on my outlook to life. But there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. When I fight, I like to fight - to achieve results. I want people I'm fighting for/with take a stand and testify with me, however, that isn't the case here. If I take a stand, I'll look more like a Lone Ranger. And that's the crux of the matter here.

6 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 4:16am On Jul 21, 2013
tellwisdom: Shymex must have taking some mariyuana before jumping on his rusty computer to send this mail.
Of what use is it marrying under age kids(I call them kids cos they know nothing) who cant even cook, nor wash their pants properly?? This is ritual, i must tell you. sad

grin grin grin grin grin

Bro, we live in a sick world. There are mofos out there phucking one another in their ar.ses and also mofos phucking animals in the ar.se. Also women who allow animals to phuck them. grin

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by carzola(m): 4:46am On Jul 21, 2013
See kobe
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by OAM4J: 4:58am On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Sir, I believe in the responsibility to protect(R2P) and being your brother's keeper. However, before you can "protect" or take a stand with the next person - there has to be a form of willingness and solidarity from the affected party. We can't just fight for people who aren't willing to fight and free themselves from the shackles of medievality - else it will be counterproductive and we won't get our desired results. It has to be of collective agreement between the affected party and those willing to support their stand. Northerners have to take a stand first - then we'll stand with by them - and fight against it together.

Also, slavery wasn't stopped because the culprits wanted to stop it. It was stopped due to revolting and belligerent slaves and how they made it less lucrative. The slaves took a stand and the liberal minded folks supported them. Same with the civil rights movement, fight against colonialism, and fight against apartheid.

I know change is the only constant thing in life, however, if want to make the change a permanent one - it has to be a bottom-up change. Even if we're able to fight and make under-age marriages illegal - will that stop them from doing it? I believe prostitution, child labour, sex with minor etc. are illegal in Nigeria, however, has that stopped people from engaging in those acts with impunity? We need to start off by fighting to make our institutions (especially the judiciary and the police force) effective and helping in mass education of our Northern brothers and sisters. Then, they'll be prepared to take a stand and we can also stand next to them, to achieve the desired result. Window dressing approach will never work.

Right and wrong, good and bad, and black and white - they all depend on human consciousness and outlook to life. In-betweeners will always have it better due to their non-commitment to either side. But, some will say everything isn't black and white, and gray is more like it.

However, I believe under-age marriage is wrong based on my outlook to life. But there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. When I fight, I like to fight - to achieve results. I want people I'm fighting for/with take a stand and testify with me, however, that isn't the case here. If I take a stand, I'll look more like a Lone Ranger. And that's the crux of the matter here.

Who are these people you are asking to fight for themselves? You forgot the victims here are kids. How do you expect them to fight for themselves? Form an association of underage wives or start kicking against their aggressive randy husbands' blokos? Or do you expect their men who are the benefactors of the crime to fight for them?

No, those of us who have not been corrupted by that way of life have to stand up for them. They are Nigerians and citizens of the world. We must defend and protect them at all cost. There are many ways we can fight for them and whether you know it or not, the fight has already began with many people speaking out against it. I know the fight will not be won overnight, but if we continue the fight, naming and shaming those involve, without some voices like yours who also disapprove the practice but want these people to be left alone and continue their ways of life, soon and very soon it will stop or be reduced to barest minimum, especially when many who are currently sitting on the fence join the fight.

I know a lot of the senators did not vote, cos 35 is definitely not the majority number in the senate. Hopefully in the nearest future many of them will move against it and it will become illegal to marry underage and then we will also strive to enforce that law.

17 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by seunfly: 5:05am On Jul 21, 2013
Shym-x, u should knw that:
1) Most of those laws have clauses that restrict d age of marriage couples i.e the husband and wife must atleast be of equal or almost equal in age, say 15y 4d girl and 17y or 20y 4 male. Any wide margin in age is not acceptable because we all know d obvious exploitation that will take place in d life of d younger partner.
2) Laws are promogated as a solution to existing problems arising from d ways of lives of a man at a particular moment/period of time. This is limited to d knowledge and expiriences he has at dt particular time, which means dt as he aquires more wisdom, knowledge and expiriences the laws are bound to change and be amended to reflect those expiriences and knowledge aquired over time. Therefore it is not normal to hold onto old laws in d name of anything despite d knowledge and expiriences of flaws seen in such laws.
3 If not for selfish reason, with d informations on ground about d resultant effect of child pregnancy ( physicaly, mentaly and medicaly) in d world today, nobody should be formulating d laws dt will encourage such act today. No cultural or religious laws should be encouraged to put those children at risk.
4 In all we do, let us put sentiment from any angle( religion and culture) apart and face d reality of today in other to set rules for our selves. Many people in support of this child molestation called marriage to an adult old enough to be her grandpa can't even allow their own children do such thing because of the true reality he or she knows, why do we hold to such laws in d name of anything.

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 5:18am On Jul 21, 2013
OAM4J:
Who are these people you are asking to fight for themselves? You forgot the victims here are kids. How do you expect them to fight for themselves? Form an association of underage wives or start kicking against their aggressive randy husbands' blokos? Or do you expect their men who are the benefactors of the crime to fight for them?

No, those of us who have not been corrupted by that way of life have to stand up for them. They are Nigerians and citizens of the world. We must defend and protect them at all cost. There are many ways we can fight for them and whether you know it or not, the fight has already began with many people speaking out against it. I know the fight will not be won overnight, but if we continue the fight, naming and shaming those involve, without some voices like yours who also disapprove the practice but want these people to be left alone and continue their ways of life, soon and very soon it will stop or be reduced to barest minimum, especially when many who are currently sitting on the fence join the fight.

I know a lot of the senators did not vote, cos 35 is definitely not the majority number in the senate. Hopefully in the nearest future many of them will move against it and it will become illegal to marry underage and then we will also strive to enforce that law.

I was alluding to educated Northerners(both men and women) who have children; married women up North who're victims and are old enough to take a stand; youths(both boys and girls) who have a voice and know the difference between right and wrong; and their elites like the governor of the central bank.

Why have they all been quiet? Perhaps, it's because they have no problem with the status quo.

5 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by thaoriginator: 5:18am On Jul 21, 2013
After some useless hypocritical christians will come here raining abuses on Islam even when their pastors are impregnating 6 years old girls in churches. Craze dey worry una!

4 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Brimmie(m): 5:30am On Jul 21, 2013
tha_originator: After some useless hypocritical christians will come here raining abuses on Islam even when their pastors are impregnating 6 years old girls in churches. Craze dey worry una!

You dey mind those mofos with fake book with different versions and editions?? Callin one stewpid guy Daddy G.I Joe abi wetin be the guy name sef!? grin
=============================

I was against the Law been passed, but from what OP just posted.. mehn it's not only in Nigeria. So y'all tagging Islam with this shld STFU and work on your household. Give your child good education and protect her from these greedy lawmakers and dont come back here to rant about how one Senator Kerima woo your Kiddo.

============================
Last Bullet: Can a boy of 12 marry lady of 27 now?? So i can start working Junior for Aunti Amaka.

6 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by yimikaa: 5:33am On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

We can't just fight for people who aren't willing to fight and free themselves from the shackles of medievality - else it will be counterproductive and we won't get our desired results. It has to be of collective agreement between the affected party and those willing to support their stand. Northerners have to take a stand first - then we'll stand with by them - and fight against it together.

hmmmm...TRUE
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Mogidi: 5:49am On Jul 21, 2013
@ShyM-X

It has to be of collective agreement between the affected party and those willing to support their stand

Lay of the drug kid. In your warped view you expect a 13yr old girl to carry placards demanding an end to under age marriage. The more you defend this the more "stupidier" your arguments are.

2 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by donMecuzy: 6:03am On Jul 21, 2013
Na. Wa so a. 13 years old know. Wetin Be Her Consent? grin

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Abagworo(m): 6:56am On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Nigerians and indeed most Africans suffer from mental slavery. We need to emancipate ourselves. Many of us now view traditional religion as inferior and satanic. Christianity is not better than Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism, African religion or even atheism. We should understand that all are religions with our original religion being Sango, Amadioha, Olokun etc.
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by baby124: 7:04am On Jul 21, 2013
What i know about the US is that all these restrictions are for kids that are the same age. If you an adult seeking to marry a child, you will get in trouble. A court will have to scrutinize your case, and you will get media attention. That child will be interviewed by psychologists and will be taken away by social workers. She will eventually say she is being forced. You and the parents will end up in jail. An adult cannot even drive in the same car with an unrelated juvenile without the parents consent. They will first hold you if you are stopped in a traffic stop and the girls parents will come and rescue you before they let you go. I know what i am talking about on this. Most of those laws apply to kids of the same age who want to get married. A 19yr old is not allowed to date a 17yr old. If you get caught, you will end up in jail with a child molester tag on you till you die. So what you read there is not what you think.

13 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 21, 2013
^^^^Can you read? Can't you see that the ages listed up there are the legal ages, whether the person seeking to marry the bride is an adult or not?

Also, there is no universal law there - the laws vary from state to state in USA. I doubt you've ever been to America, tbh. undecided

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Chanchit: 7:13am On Jul 21, 2013
See wetin this Yerima cause now..

1 Like

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by baby124: 7:15am On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:
^^^^Can you read? Can't you see that the ages listed up there are the legal ages, whether the person seeking to marry the bride is an adult or not?

Also, there is no universal law there - the laws vary from state to state in USA. I doubt you've ever been to America, tbh. undecided

I know better about this than you can ever comprehend. I cited examples. A 19yr old cannot date a 17yr old. If the 17yr old brings it to the authorities, the adult will end up in jail with a child molester tag for life. Everywhere you live, you will have to register as a child molester so all the parents in the area know you live there. If you want to use America as a justification, find a better example.. Ask those who live in America and are in the system. What you read on paper is not what is on ground. Are you blind where you see most of them require court orders? I saw that list too you know.

4 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 21, 2013
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by baby124: 7:20am On Jul 21, 2013
In South Carolina, wouldnt you have to explain how you slept with a 13yr old to get her pregnant that you want to marry her ehn Shymx? I know you are looking for front page. But understand what you are arguing about before you do.

3 Likes

Re: Marriageable Age Of Places Around The World by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 21, 2013
Keep arguing with yourself, I've got stuffs to do.

That was the same way the other lousy feminist, fellis, said women are more intelligent than men - only to end up posting the two most ridiculously dumb comments ever in quick succession, on the forum. I can't be ar.sed with people who have nothing worth debating. undecided undecided

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

El Rufai Has Been Quiet About The Nigerian Military Victory Over Boko Haram / The Hausa Fulani, The Yoruba And The Slaughter In Ile Ife (1) By Fani-kayode / I Am Proud Of Buhari Proudly Nigerian On Zaynab Release - Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.